Packages being returned, no longer able to go letter mail

Canada Post is now returning craft booklets and paper sewing patterns that are sent letter mail saying that have to go package rate. For sellers selling low cost craft items, having to charge or pay for package rate now makes them far too expensive. Has anyone else had them returned? I am going to phone CP and see if I can see what is going on.

Message 1 of 189
latest reply
188 REPLIES 188

Re: Packages being returned, no longer able to go letter mail

For what it's worth, I'm fairly confident that the items are not being returned by CPC, rather they're being kicked back by American customs.

I've continued sending items 'inherently paper in nature' by Letter-post. So far I've only had one returned, and it took a month to get back to me. If it was being rejected by CPC it wouldn't take that long. I'm pretty sure these are getting to American customs, customs is saying "no sorry we don't allow" and then kicking them back to CPC, at which point CPC is just blindly adding that sticker and returning to sender. I have had no issues with paper-based items being sent via Letter-post to countries other than the US.

Message 161 of 189
latest reply

I am not sure that is correct, but my two that were returned still had the stamps "unstamped" on them, so I was able to re-use them. I think if they had left Canada, they would have been stamped.

Message 162 of 189
latest reply

even though the oversize letter rate envelopes to the USA that were returned to me, did not have the indication that they were being returned for the small packet requirement, as they, according to the affixed label were returned for "undeliverable/unable to forward", yet the stamps were unused/not cancelled, so did they even make it out of Canada? and/or were they indeed returned by USPS or Canada Post? Mighty suspicious as to who is doing what and for why! Seems like there is something more going on than meets the eye with these oversize envelopes from Canada to USA!!

Message 163 of 189
latest reply

I had one mailed in late January returned to me 7 weeks later. My stamp was gone? at that point lol but no mention about the small packet issue. Not sure what hapened with that one. None of my Hockey cards have been sent back otherwise (I don't use bubble mailers generally tho, VERY rare cases). Th eone that was returned was in a ebay bubble mailer.

Message 164 of 189
latest reply

@triber wrote:

I am not sure that is correct, but my two that were returned still had the stamps "unstamped" on them, so I was able to re-use them. I think if they had left Canada, they would have been stamped.

Having the postage uncancelled on Oversized Lettermail is not uncommon. It's sorted/processed differently than standard lettermail which goes through the machines that automatically cancel the postage. That's why you often see Oversized Lettermail with a manual pen mark through the stamps, or no cancellation at all.

Message 165 of 189
latest reply

". I have had no issues with paper-based items being sent via Letter-post to countries other than the US."

Same here...only to the U.S.

Message 166 of 189
latest reply

Same thing. Cards sent in a regular and oversized bubble envelope to the USA returned. One in my mailbox another I had to pick up at Canada Post.
Message 167 of 189
latest reply

Stop using bubble envelopes 🙄 Since when would you mail "letters and document" in bubble envelopes? Use regular kraft paper envelopes 😑

Message 168 of 189
latest reply

I mail with Kraft envelopes Hockey cards, no returns! Bubble mailers just cost more postage anyhow, and not needed unless its an expensive card, then I'm tracking anyhow!

Message 169 of 189
latest reply

How exactly are you packaging when sending cards in kraft envelope?

Message 170 of 189
latest reply

That part got left out.

Nothing new, except enforcement.

Message 171 of 189
latest reply

Piece of chipboard (thin thin cardboard), card with toploader taped to it and put in the 6x9 envelope. Been mailing this way for 6-7 years

Message 172 of 189
latest reply

but my two that were returned still had the stamps "unstamped" on them, so I was able to re-use them.

Legally you are not able to re-use "skips" . They did their job of processing the mail, even though in the end the job was unsuccessful.

Message 173 of 189
latest reply

An old discussion - needs a bump  😀

Recently I switched to sending all shipments as CP Small Packet. It goes well, except of my sales, which tanked. Earlier, I shipped my small paper items as "letters" to the U.S. Did for 20 years, never had problems. Here I see some sellers got their letters returned. A question - did they use an Ebay bubble mailer, displaying Ebay logo? What about covering the logo by any "fragile" sticker? That way a "commercial" letter will look like a private letter, right? I am just trying here to save my business - with 9.50 fee, instead of 3.20, I might not survive.  U.S. customers would always prefer to buy from the U.S. sellers, which ship for free or for a little fee.  

Message 174 of 189
latest reply

I use the eBay poly (not bubble) mailer for my sewing patterns.

One did get returned recently, but the markings indicated that the USPS could not find the address. I do cover the eBay logos with stickers (address label, air mail label, stamps, etc) and while my address labels do use my eBay IDs, (for this one R.N. Stamps) they are not particularly obvious as business names.

Message 175 of 189
latest reply

For items that are paper-based in nature I have continued sending them as Lettermail to the States and haven't had any issues. I stopped using bubble envelopes though as I figured that might have been drawing attention to them (after all, why would a letter need to be sent in a bubble envelope?). I've been shipping in just regular manila envelopes (with a thin cardboard stiffener) with no evidence of it being a commercial sale on the exterior.

Non-paper items (small video game cartridges, for example) that I used to send as international letters have continued going as Small Packet because I don't want to take the risk.

Message 176 of 189
latest reply

I always used the bubble mailers and had no return (I shipped about 10K-15K items that way and all arrived to their destination - without any tracking number of course!). The bubble mailers are for people, too, not only for businesses. I ship only paper items (prints) below 100 g. 

Message 177 of 189
latest reply

Well, yes, most of us sent items in bubble mailers via International Letter-post for a long while, until they started really cracking down on mailing 'goods' as letters at the beginning of the year, as is the point of this post.

What I'm saying is that it's more risky to use a bubble mailer these days because to a customs official, a bubble mailer stands out as something that probably contains something other than a letter. Bubble envelopes were designed to cushion items while in transit, something that regular letters don't need; if I had to hazard a guess I would say that 90+% of actual letters are just shipped in paper envelopes (or stiffened photo mailers).

Sure you can cover the eBay logo on a bubble envelope, but that's not going to stop it from standing out from the rest of the letters. As a Canada Post clerk I've seen every manner of item returned with that "must be sent as small packet" label - poly bubble mailers, Kraft bubble mailers, non-bubble poly mailers, even regular white envelopes (although they were rather thick as the sender had wrapped cardboard around the card). The only conclusion I can draw is that the more your item looks like just a regular old letter, the more likely it is to sail on through and get delivered just fine. But even then that doesn't seem to be a hard and fast rule.

Message 178 of 189
latest reply

@dinomitesales wrote:

For items that are paper-based in nature I have continued sending them as Lettermail to the States and haven't had any issues. I've been shipping in just regular manila envelopes (with a thin cardboard stiffener) with no evidence of it being a commercial sale on the exterior.

Do you add any bubble wrap or foam wrap inside, or do you just sandwich between two cardboard stiffeners?

Message 179 of 189
latest reply

Nope, just thin cardboard (think cereal-box card). It's not going to do much if someone took the item and forcefully bent it, but I believe it's enough of a stiffener to act as a deterrant and to avoid unnecessary bending during the sortation process. I also put a "Do Not Bend" sticker on the outside of the envelope.

I would like to switch to using stiffened photo-mailers but I haven't been able to find a cheap source of small ones (around 5x7").

Message 180 of 189
latest reply