PayPal Launches Shipping Solution for Canadian Sellers

Does anybody know anything about this?

I saw this on ecommercebytes.com

Canadian sellers shipping to US shoppers are at a disadvantage when it comes to shipping rates and delivery time. PayPal launched a new shipping solution on Wednesday for Canadian sellers that it says can save them 75% in shipping costs.Multichannel sellers can import their orders into the tool, and PayPal Canada said tracking links are available for every parcel.

.....This new shipping solution gives Canadian business owners a strong incentive to reach beyond the nation’s borders. In an effort to save small business owners’ money, PayPal has partnered with netParcel, a Toronto-based technology company that provides access to discounted shipping rates.

Shipping through PayPal is available now to all our Canadian customers. For more information, visit http://paypal.ca/shipping.

SOURCE: PayPal Press Release via Newswire.ca

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Re: PayPal Launches Shipping Solution for Canadian Sellers

hlmacdon
Community Member

They are just one of many companies that resell their freight rates with the various couriers. If you don't have an account and ship only occasionally something like this could save you a few bucks with an added convenience factor depending on what you are shipping, the real value is when you start hitting some of the dimensional weights/oversize where the carriers start manipulating their costs. Keep in mind with these companies it isn't uncommon to get a surprise bill later with courier surcharges (not uncommon with UPS) depending on the shipment/destination. If most of what you ship is Canada Post small parcels then you are going to be hard pressed to beat Canada Post rates.

If you are able to scale volume you are better off putting that volume towards your own Canada Post/UPS account rates. 

Message 2 of 21
latest reply

From the helpdesk of NetParcel:

Unfortunately we currently do not provide services with Canada Post at this time however you should see options with UPS, Purolator, DHL, Loomis, and Canpar.

Regarding the metric units, our tech support team is working on an update to allow customers to choose between imperial and metric units. This should be available on the next few updates to the system.

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

-Lotz
Message 3 of 21
latest reply

Since carriers such as UPS, Fedex,etc are known to charge brokerage fees, sellers will need to assess the pros/cons/benefits...

No benefit for me to use netParcel and will remain using Canada Post.

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

@mrdutch1001 

Now, because of the above details, in the same boat!!

-Lotz

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

"Since carriers such as UPS, Fedex,etc are known to charge brokerage fees. . ."

on ground shipments only, which are only an option for items sent from Canada to US destinations (except perhaps HI).

Also consider that sales taxes on eBay purchases from out of state are handled by eBay, not the buyer, shipper or customs, and the US still has a much higher duty-free limit for mailed/couriered purchases than we do.
Message 6 of 21
latest reply

Hi Everyone,

This is Derek from netParcel.  Glad you were able to find the new platform and I would be happy to answer any and all questions that you may have. 

www.paypal.ca/shipping

One big benefit of the platform is the our 1-2 lb rate into the US.

1) 1lb Toronto to New York is $6.46 CAD + Fuel

2) If the address is residential the surcharge is $1.52 CAD

3) All shipments to the US under $800 USD are tax, suty and brokerage free regardless of service.

4) Delivery is 2-5 days, includes $100 insurance and enhanced tracking.

https://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/paypal-canada-launches-new-solution-to-help-small-businesses-s...

Please take a look and let us know if you have any further questions.

Thanks! Derek

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

According to the info on the link given in the first post, there are savings on shipping on Canada as well.

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

@dedeh-74 wrote:

Hi Everyone,

Thanks! Derek

"Once you have selected your carrier of choice, schedule a pick-up time"

I couldn't find any details on this, what charges are involved with pick-ups?

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 9 of 21
latest reply

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

@recped 

Our carriers all offer free pick-ups with two offering free same day pickup and the other carrier offering free next day.  If you schedule a sameday pickup any associated costs will reflect in the label rate.

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

@dedeh-74 wrote:

Hi Everyone,

This is Derek from netParcel.  Glad you were able to find the new platform and I would be happy to answer any and all questions that you may have. 

www.paypal.ca/shipping

One big benefit of the platform is the our 1-2 lb rate into the US.

1) 1lb Toronto to New York is $6.46 CAD + Fuel

2) If the address is residential the surcharge is $1.52 CAD

3) All shipments to the US under $800 USD are tax, suty and brokerage free regardless of service.

4) Delivery is 2-5 days, includes $100 insurance and enhanced tracking.

https://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/paypal-canada-launches-new-solution-to-help-small-businesses-s...

Thanks! Dernek

Well - because of the outrageous brokerage fees charged by the  shippers you are using - unless you get Canada Post on board, I don't think you are going to get much business.

Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again. Crazy enough to try
Message 12 of 21
latest reply

I stumbled upon this post today - Nov 22, 2019. I have been looking for something that is not outrageously expensive in order to broaden my market area -  so to speak. Simply put - NOBODY in the USA is going to spend $80 for shipping on a $30 motorcycle part that he can buy new for $100!

It looks like all of the previous posts have been made within the first two days of this thread being started. Nobody has posted any further information regarding their experience with using this program - either good, bad or indifferent. 

I am searching for some more details. Mostly it has to do with the possibility or probability of HIDDEN - and therefore surprise - charges like for instance a Fuel Surcharge - or extra delivery charges at the recipient's end. 

The price quote to ship a three pound motorcycle part in an 8" X 4" X 3" box from BC, Canada to St Petersberg Florida was quoted as under $10 CAD ... My questions would specifically be - Does the recipient get stiffed for TEN extra dollars (or more) by the delivery guy? Do I, upon purchasing the shipping agreement for the $10 =/-, find an extra ten dollar FUEL Surcharge at the end - the result of which is a Thirty Dollar plus hipping bill instead of the ten dollar quote?

Does anyone have any information to offer

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

Quite some time ago and probably about same time as the original eBay threads were floating about, I was searching this topic on the Etsy boards and the Canadian sellers there banted this about for a few days and then the topic went completely cold. Of the few respondents there, only one indicated they had used the service and were happy with it but did not elaborate any further. The overall consensus from their community of Canadian sellers and the Canadian eBay community here, seemed to show little interest in NetParcel.

A more recent search to the Etsy community board showed a thread by a Canadian seller who has used NetParcel many times now and is very pleased with the service - no extra fees to the buyers for USA bound packages of values less than $800. Insurance over $100 available for a fee, just like Canada Post.

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

@fastman614 

Does the recipient get stiffed for TEN extra dollars (or more) by the delivery guy?

What would it be for?

Keep in mind that one reason for the outrageous service fees from UPS to Canadian importers is that our duty-free allowance is $20Cdn while our neighbours luxuriate in an $800 duty-free allowance.*

The PP rep specifically states. 3) All shipments to the US under $800 USD are tax, suty and brokerage free regardless of service.

Now this was before the Internet Sales Tax became widespread, but that is charged to the customer by eBay and while it passes through our PP accounts** we don't touch it, and it is paid before we ship.

Most of us will be dealing with residential shipments, so there is $1.52 for that, but again, that is part of what we charge our buyers.

A 500 gram parcel sent Canada Post costs $10.90 by LetterPost and $17.38 by Tracked Packet, with the TP being the most comparable.

Maybe it's time to ask @dedeh-74 to come back and answer any new questions, particularly what our customers might face on the doorstep.

And the fuel surcharge, which I would assume is variable. What is it today, I wonder?

*One  reason why Trump's tariff on Chinese imports make no difference to Americans importing small, cheap goods. Only to wholesalers and manufacturers.

** which it shouldn't but that's another discussion.

Message 15 of 21
latest reply

@fastman614 wrote:

Simply put - NOBODY in the USA is going to spend $80 for shipping on a $30 motorcycle part that he can buy new for $100!
The price quote to ship a three pound motorcycle part in an 8" X 4" X 3" box from BC, Canada to St Petersberg Florida was quoted as under $10 CAD ...

For comparison (Vancouver to Florida) your package (21x10x7cm, 1.36kg) via Canada Post would be: $25.11 for Tracked Packet or $28.95 for Expedited Parcel if bought at the counter (cheaper rates available with a SfSB membership). Both with $100 insurance included.  Not sure why you would be thinking $80.

NetParcel is just a shipping broker, so you still have to get the parcel to the actual shipping company (or have them pick up the package).  So there may be extra cost depending on where you are located.

For items under $800 there  should be no extra cost to a USA Buyer on delivery.

-..-

Message 16 of 21
latest reply

How does the service work within the confines of a Ebay listing?. The PayPal site states it imports your listings and creates forms/templates?. Not sure what that means. Does  a buyer who views the item on Ebay see the discounted netparcel rates?

Message 17 of 21
latest reply

@bpl521_sell wrote:

... The PayPal site states it imports your listings and creates forms/templates? Not sure what that means. Does  a buyer who views the item on Ebay see the discounted netparcel rates?

PayPal is talking about importing the shipping addresses, weight and dimensions from your listing so the netparcel rates can be determined (they will do this for eBay and other websites).

A Buyer on eBay will not see the netparcel rates, only the Seller.

The Seller will have to figure out what to charge for shipping before they create the eBay listing.

-..-

Message 18 of 21
latest reply

I'm not sure why anyone would use this service when we have ChitChats? Is it cheaper? Are there more drop off locations making it more convenient?

I think these types of services are good for higher valued items, shipping with tracking overseas, or just when shipping is considerably cheaper. I won't do the 30 min drive to Chit Chats unless I'm saving at least twice of what I paid in gas to get there. I also won't do it if I have an antsy buyer who wants something quickly. I think it adds about a week of shipping time (at least for me).
Message 19 of 21
latest reply

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

@bpl521_sell wrote:

... The PayPal site states it imports your listings and creates forms/templates? Not sure what that means. Does  a buyer who views the item on Ebay see the discounted netparcel rates?

PayPal is talking about importing the shipping addresses, weight and dimensions from your listing so the netparcel rates can be determined (they will do this for eBay and other websites).

A Buyer on eBay will not see the netparcel rates, only the Seller.

The Seller will have to figure out what to charge for shipping before they create the eBay listing.

-..-

Shipping to US would be more practical as the rate should be fairly consistent even with UPS, Canada I suppose one would have to create regional zone shipping. Suppose for the one off heavier items the netparcel could be a viable option.

Message 20 of 21
latest reply