Process for Canadian to sell on ebay.com without exchange to CAD

bn880
Community Member

I am wondering what the process is to avoid eBay exchange rate fees of 4.5% or whatever insane amount it is, when listing on ebay.com as a Canadian.  Is there a way to keep the funds in USD?  This was all working fine when Paypal was in use, but managed payments forced this exchange.  Worse, if an order is cancelled, you pay that fee twice so 9% is lost.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Well the current exchange for turning US dollars into loonies is $1.36Cdn  and buying is $0.73.

That's xe.com and is the mid-market rate for bank changes in the multi-million range.

The retail rate with the Royal Bank is $0.7192 USD and $131.77Cdn.

A four percent difference in buying and 1.08% in selling. (Or possibly 10.8%, I am dysnumeric and percentages baffle me.)

https://www.rbcbank.com/cgi-bin/tools/cadusd-foreign-exchange-calculator/start.cgi

Then   payment processors, including your credit card when  you buy, add their own fees to that.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

I'm not clear on your current status, but the short version is you can't change the currency in MP once you've picked it.

So if you are already set up on MP in $C you can't change it to US$

One would have to set up another ID and set that one up to receive $$ in US$.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

@bn880 wrote:

I am wondering what the process is to avoid eBay exchange rate fees of 4.5% or whatever insane amount it is, when listing on ebay.com as a Canadian.  Is there a way to keep the funds in USD?  This was all working fine when Paypal was in use, but managed payments forced this exchange.  Worse, if an order is cancelled, you pay that fee twice so 9% is lost.

Your only opportunity to receive payments in US Dollars was at the time you signed up for Managed Payments. Presumably you are singed up for Managed Payments in Canadian Dollars so there is no way to switch now.

You can open a new selling account and when you register for MP select US Dollars. You would also need a Canadian  based US Dollar chequing account. Understand that your new account would have to go through the new seller restriction of selling limits and possible payment holds.

Is there a specific reason why you need to list on .com?

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

at the time I signed up for MP, I was selling on both..COM &.CA but because of the complicated processd to continue receiving USD, I chose to set up for CDN funds processing, and eventually dropped listing on .COM, partially because of the exchange rate fees plus the fact my sales from listings in USD were not significant enough to warrant listing on both sites...so now I use only .CA. My few sales on eBay no longer warrant listing much here anymore so the free 250 listings per month are fine and I really don't miss the .COM site. I list on 2 other selling sites where I generally sell more than I do on eBay anyway, and one of those other selling sites is for USD and that does go to my PayPal account as that site still uses PayPal as a payment processor. My sales on any of my 3 selling sites is generally about 60% Canadian buyers so I really don't gain that much from having funds in USD.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

If we list on dotCA we can still be seen on dotCOM so long as we give a cost for shipping there.

The same is true for any country. 

This does mean that we don't get the exposure on dotCOM since we will automatically be below listing on the site in Search.

But our prices will show as being in USD in Search, and in both currencies if the customer clicks through.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply