Recently sold item says it was delivered but the buyer filed a "item not received" request

canehdia
Community Member

It says to provide the tracking number on my end, and I did have a tracking number, that shows proof that it was delivered as the title states. I printed my label with eBay so the address would have been clear and correct, I have to assume that it may have been dropped off at the wrong mail slot or something. Obviously it wasn't something done wrong on my end, as unfortunate as the situation is. They're a new account with only 2 feedback so there's always the chance they're lying, but I'd like to assume it's just the package getting dropped off in the wrong spot as I mentioned.

The only thing is that I feel bad for the buyer, do they end up getting screwed over in the end?  I haven't resolved the request yet but if I don't within a few days I assume eBay steps in and I basically end up being the one who gets screwed. I guess I should just go ahead and provide the tracking number to eBay and just hope the item turns up soon for the buyer (maybe a neighbour got it and delivers it to them)? I also wonder if I should should bother messaging them and explain that it's out of my hands?

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Re: Recently sold item says it was delivered but the buyer filed a "item not received" req

byto253
Community Member
Yes, follow the eBay requirements to the T and ensure the claim is denied. You are then in control and can follow up with the post office if you choose to, or do something for the buyer if you choose.

The important thing is to protect your rights and make any further action discretionary on your part.
Message 2 of 16
latest reply

Re: Recently sold item says it was delivered but the buyer filed a "item not received" req

If they open an item not received case, and you can provide the tracking number, you are covered by eBay. They will not be entitled to a refund based on eBay's policies.  

I have had it happen a few times where a buyer messages me because their item was marked as delivered, but it never showed up. I usually advise them to check with their local post office, check with neighbors, and also if they have a regular mail carrier, to check with them. It helps if you can also provide details about what the package looked like.

Whether or not you're responsible for a refund, you should help the buyer try to find their package. Put yourself in their shoes, you buy something online, it is marked as delivered, but it doesn't show up. 

If both of you still cannot locate the package, you can also contact Canada Post or USPS. I don't know the exact terms, but they will investigate and try to locate the package.

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

I had the same thing happen to me a couple of weeks ago.  Make sure you respond by putting in the tracking number.    Mine was interesting, he registered the day he made the purchase, never bought anything else and he purchased it from Canada to the US.   It is interesting to note that he could buy it in the US for half the cost, maybe he thought that buyer from Canada I wouldn't be sending it USPS with tracking.  At first I felt sorry for him but even after I told him what to do for follow-up, he didn't, so I think he was scamming. 

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

Most people are honest.

The purchase may have been delivered, but then swiped by porch pirates, or carefully put where it could not possibly get lost by a housemate, or secured behind the front door screen- the door no one ever uses.

That is the buyer's problem. You are in the clear when you provide the tracking with confirmation of delivery.

Of course, it is good customer service, and good manners, to advise the buyer about his options, from asking housemates, to  making PO and police reports.

But no refund is necessary. You did your job.

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

canehdia
Community Member

So this just got a bit weirder. I got one of those slips in the mail about how I had a package waiting for me at the post office, I just went today and it was the same package I sent out. The last tracking update from the 4th says it arrived at their mailbox, "Delivered to your community mailbox, parcel locker or apt./condo mailbox"

Here's the thing, the package says it was returned because "Refused". I looked it up and it appears that the person who receives the package has to refuse it, it's nothing to do with wrong address/postage.

I still haven't messaged them or resolved the case with eBay because I was waiting for responses here, should I ask the buyer why the package was refused? Even though I have it back, if I refunded them I still get kinda screwed over with the fact I paid for the shipping label, no? If they truly did send it back, isn't it still kinda on them? Unless it's somehow on Canada Post, I'm just confused now.

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

@canehdia wrote:

So this just got a bit weirder. I got one of those slips in the mail about how I had a package waiting for me at the post office, I just went today and it was the same package I sent out. The last tracking update from the 4th says it arrived at their mailbox, "Delivered to your community mailbox, parcel locker or apt./condo mailbox"

Here's the thing, the package says it was returned because "Refused". I looked it up and it appears that the person who receives the package has to refuse it, it's nothing to do with wrong address/postage.

I still haven't messaged them or resolved the case with eBay because I was waiting for responses here, should I ask the buyer why the package was refused? Even though I have it back, if I refunded them I still get kinda screwed over with the fact I paid for the shipping label, no? If they truly did send it back, isn't it still kinda on them? Unless it's somehow on Canada Post, I'm just confused now.

Have you tried following up with the buyer directly. You can message after the fact as back up. Find out how the buyer wishes to proceed. Had this happen to me in the past. In my case buyer forgot to include suite number so it went ot office manager and never was picked up. End result. Returned to me. You may have lucked out and had no postage due. This was not my luck. Resending has a cost.

Why it never hurts...especially with a buyer with 0 feedback to confirm the address with google as valid. Questions are easier asked before label has been created and package mailed. 

-Lotz

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

You could contact Canada Post, or depending on how helpful and knowledgeable your post office employees are, you could ask them if there is any way to confirm whether it was refused.

Even if they did refuse it, and it was marked refused on tracking, you would still be covered by eBay since you fulfilled your requirement of sending it to the address provided. It is my understanding that based on eBay's protection policies, a buyer is not entitled to refuse a package and get a refund. The seller needs to send it to the address that was provided, which is what you did. 

I wouldn't keep both the item and their money, but I think most people would consider it fair that you withhold a portion of the refund to cover any costs you incurred as a result of the buyer refusing the package without consulting you.

Based on it being marked delivered, it must have been refused after being successfully delivered. Which means that the buyer either returned it to the post office as refused, or it was delivered to the wrong house and the person living at the wrong house returned it to the post office as refused. 

I would contact the buyer, explain that you received the package today as a return because it was refused. I would ask them to verify their address, ask them if they did in fact refuse it, and ask them how they want to proceed. If they still want the item, and it was Canada Post's fault, so long as the case is already closed in your favor, I would probably just eat the cost and re-send it. You may be able to get the original label refunded by Canada Post, but if we're talking about 10-15 dollars, it might not be worth the hassle (an hour+ with customer service).

A lot of people wouldn't do that, and I wouldn't blame them. If the buyer doesn't respond, or they admit to refusing it without consulting you, I would refund them their money, minus any costs you incurred, and less a possible restocking fee. You still should add the tracking to the case, and wait until it is resolved in your favor. Based on eBay policy, I don't think you have to issue any refund since it was delivered before it was refused, but I am talking from a what I think is the right thing to do perspective. 

Generally, if you don't want to deal with the headache (time+effort) the easiest thing to do is just to issue a refund and move on since you do have the item. 

On a side note, I would verify that what you sent is actually in the bubble mailer or box, and that it wasn't tampered with and then returned as refused.

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

If tracking shows it as refused then buyer loses their mbg on that item but as others advised you should find out if they actually refused it or if there was a wrong address etc.  As others mentioned you can enter the tracking number in the case and once eBay steps in they will close the case on your favor.   Depending on the timeline I  would try to contact them first and find out if they know what happened.

Depending on the reason and on what you and/or the buyer wants to do, you have options.  You can use the 'send refund' link to give them a refund less the shipping.  If you want, you can also hold back the fees that you were charged.   If they want and you are willing to resend the item with the corrected address, you can send them an invoice through PP for the reshipping cost.  Since you have had a transaction you are allowed to ask them for their PP email address.   

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

I have had this exact situation in the past for a expedited item in Canada.

Tracking shows delivered, buyer says never got it.

In my case the buyer had contacted Canada Post directly before they started the INR process.

When I contacted Canada Post they were already aware of the situation and with no muss and no fuss refunded me, because they'd already heard from the intended recipent.

I of course refunded the buyer because I was not out anything as a result of Canada Post covering the claim.

Depending on your situation it might be a good idea to have the buyer contact CP before you do, it will make it go faster if they do (caveat it was a couple years ago for me so things might not be as quick/nice now).

There are lots of situations where a "delivered" item wasn't and at last the last time it happened to me, CP covered it.

PS it sounds like a claim is open, if that is the case you need to provide the tracking BEFORE the due date (ie before 12:01 AM of the due date) or it will automagically close against you. Send communication to the buyer advising that you will follow through with a claim through CP and once it is completed, you will refund them. You'll have to find another way outside the refund process once the claim closes against them. If they have PAYPAL you can send directly once you get repaid by CP - they can send their paypal id to you the ebay BOTS won't stop that in a transaction communication)

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

I work at a Canada Post retail location; feel free to PM me a photo of the package if you wish. Based on what kind of sticker(s) are on it, I may be able to provide you with some additional information to figure out what exactly happened.

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

Again you are in the clear.

EBay does not require any refund at all, not a penny, on an Undeliverable package.

And a Refused package is Undeliverable.

Again- provide the Dispute with the tracking number and state that the package was refused.

UNDELIVERABLE ITEMS
https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy...

https://www.ebay.ca/help/policies/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy?...

This is the part I'm referring to

Exclusions and special coverage when the buyer doesn't receive an item

Items collected by a third party on behalf of the buyer
-Not covered

The buyer arranged their own shipping method, such as a courier pickup-
Not covered

The buyer provided an invalid or incorrect address at checkout-
Not covered

That information might be mentioned if you do phone the buyer. 

While you ethically should refund the purchase price, I see no reason to refund the eBay fees or the shipping costs.

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

canehdia
Community Member

Thanks for the replies everyone, I will send them a message now explaining the situation. I am not against shipping it back out if there was some error not on their part (such as if it was a neighbour who refused it as mentioned) and eating the extra shipping cost, as much as it sucks I guess it's not the end of the world.

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

Why do you not phone the buyer and talk it out?  You have their phone number. 

Record the phone call to protect yourself.

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

canehdia
Community Member

One last update, I didn't realize until I clicked on the buyer's request that they actually left a message. Basically they said they checked every day and haven't found it and that they did contact their neighbours to keep an eye out but none of them saw the package either. I believe them since it wouldn't make sense for someone to just return something they bought like that when, I have to think it's somehow on Canada Post's end. It's just weird that the whole refused thing came up. It was send in a smaller envelope but the shipping label fit ok, so I doubt that has anything to do with it since it got sent out in the first place.

I'll try to contact Canada Post to see if they can somehow find out what happened but I'm sure it might just be a waste of time, though I did PM dinomitesales to see if they do have any helpful info. Worst case in the end I'll probably see if the buyer does want me to try to ship it out again (and I'll confirm their address isn't missing any details), or I just send a refund.

Message 15 of 16
latest reply

I believe them since it wouldn't make sense for someone to just return something they bought like that

Gamers gonna game.

How much was the shipment worth?

Again. Because of the refusal, you are not required to refund anything.

You may decide, when you get the shipment back, in a month or so, to refund the selling price, but not the shipping price since you did not receive that (Canada Post did, and they did their job.)

Do NOT refund until you have your item back. You may find you get an empty box, skilfully resealed.

I am old and cynical.

Message 16 of 16
latest reply