Returns and fees

I had a buyer ask me if she could return a necklace because she didn't like it. There was no problem with the item, she just didn't like it. I agreed to the return and told her to mark returned merchadise on the CN22. It showed up today and is in original condition. The problem I'm having is with the refund. She never opened a return case with eBay, just sent the item back to me. I see in my seller hub where I can issue a refund, but it asks me to calculate the refund amount. If I just issue a full refund without her having opened a case will my selling fees be refunded? I'll be darned if I can find an answer on eBay help. That is my main concern, but also should I refund her original shipping as well? I'm not inclined to as not "liking" an item is not my fault, it was well described. I sell on the US site but am in Canada. Should I tell her to open a case with eBay? Really, the last thing I want to do is get them involved.

You help would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Returns and fees

If the buyer opens a return using a buyers remorse return you will be given the option of refunding without the original shipping and you will get your fees back except for .30

If you refund using send refund and you hold back a portion of the full amount for shipping, you won't get your fees back as eBay doesn't credit fees for a partial refund.   I guess that in the first case they don't consider it as a partial refund.

Note that you can only hold back shipping on a buyers remorse return if the buyer paid for  shipping.  If shipping was 'free' a full refund has to be given.

Edit-  I didn't realize one of the options on send refund was a buyer return.   If I had to guess I would say that using that option you would  still not get a fee credit for a partial return  but I've never used it either.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

You can do a full return, when you click on it there are a number of options, one of them is "buyer return".

As far as I know you get your fees less the 30c back.

I am not sure if the return counts against you as it would if a formal return case was opened.

Fortunately I've had very few of these so don't have much experience, I'm sure others will chime in....

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

Yes, that's my problem also. I don't get many returns and when I do they always open a case with eBay. I'm not concerned about the return shipping, she knew she would have to pay that. What I'm not sure about is eBays fees less the .30c or if I should refund original shipping cost. Since there was nothing wrong with the item and she just "didn't like it" I don't see why I should be out of pocket. Because she didn't open any case I'm not sure if eBay will return thoses fees if I do any kind of refund.

I can't seem to find any mention of this in their help section.

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

@judithsjewellery wrote:

Yes, that's my problem also. I don't get many returns and when I do they always open a case with eBay. I'm not concerned about the return shipping, she knew she would have to pay that. What I'm not sure about is eBays fees less the .30c or if I should refund original shipping cost. Since there was nothing wrong with the item and she just "didn't like it" I don't see why I should be out of pocket. Because she didn't open any case I'm not sure if eBay will return thoses fees if I do any kind of refund.

I can't seem to find any mention of this in their help section.

For an FYI link attached relating to refunds/returns.

https://www.ebay.ca/help/selling/managing-returns-refunds/refunding-buyers?id=5182&st=3&pos=1&query=...

-Lotz

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

I can say that when I've used that return drop down, although I've only so far used reasons of "Buyer Cancelled", "Shipping Discount" and "Other Adjustment" for partial refunds but in those situation the partial  fees are refunded.

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

You get all fees except 30 cents refunded if you give a full refund.

https://www.ebay.ca/help/selling/fees-credits-invoices/fee-credits?id=4128

You can refund without a request/case for up to 90 days

recped_0-1641941643205.png

https://www.ebay.ca/help/selling/managing-returns-refunds/manage-returns-missing-items-refunds-selle...

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 6 of 16
latest reply

byto253
Community Member

If the return is buyer request because they changed their mind, they normally do not get a refund on the original shipping fees.  This is also why buyers claim item not as received, just like on Amazon.  

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

If the buyer opens a return using a buyers remorse return you will be given the option of refunding without the original shipping and you will get your fees back except for .30

If you refund using send refund and you hold back a portion of the full amount for shipping, you won't get your fees back as eBay doesn't credit fees for a partial refund.   I guess that in the first case they don't consider it as a partial refund.

Note that you can only hold back shipping on a buyers remorse return if the buyer paid for  shipping.  If shipping was 'free' a full refund has to be given.

Edit-  I didn't realize one of the options on send refund was a buyer return.   If I had to guess I would say that using that option you would  still not get a fee credit for a partial return  but I've never used it either.

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

After I read PJc's update, I looked back to check my last partial refund (for shipping) and contrary to what I said earlier Pjc is correct I did NOT get credited any fees back, so my earlier post "below" is wrong.

I thought that in an earlier partial refund I did see some credited back, but I am sure they aren't being credited now....for partials as I checked a few.

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

byto253
Community Member

Wow, that is so wrong.  If someone changes their mind and you don't eat the shipping cost you get no refund.  So very wrong.  You are losing money and have to deal with reselling an item.   Just another backdoor fee levy.   

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

Ya, I read all that stuff from eBay but nowhere that I looked can I find an explanation of what, if any fees are refundable.

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

Thanks for clarifying a murky situation. Since the eBay fees are more than the original shipping fees I will refund the full amount she paid. Hopefully, this will give her no reason to leave a negative feedback and I'' just relist at a higher price.

Thanks to all of you who replied.

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

FYI
So I just went to initiate the refund and here is what I found.

If I gave her a full refund which included original shipping cost I received my full credit of fees at around $45.00. If I kept the $16.50 original shipping cost I got $0 credit for my EBay fees. Needless to say I gave her a full refund. You only discover this when you initiate the screen to issue a refund, It is not well explained anywhere else.

Again, thanks for your help.

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

@judithsjewellery wrote:

FYI
So I just went to initiate the refund and here is what I found.

If I gave her a full refund which included original shipping cost I received my full credit of fees at around $45.00. If I kept the $16.50 original shipping cost I got $0 credit for my EBay fees. Needless to say I gave her a full refund. You only discover this when you initiate the screen to issue a refund, It is not well explained anywhere else.

Again, thanks for your help.

It's explained on the page for Fee Credits

https://www.ebay.ca/help/selling/fees-credits-invoices/fee-credits?id=4128#section1

recped_0-1642118255638.png

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 14 of 16
latest reply

Well I guess the question is are shipping fees to be included in a full refund. The answer is yes, although eBay doesn't state that shipping fees are to be included. If a buyer changes their mind and wants to cancell a sale why should I eat the costs?

Message 15 of 16
latest reply

@judithsjewellery 

I'm sure that you wouldn't have had to eat the cost if the buyer has opened a refund and used a buyer's remorse reason.   Because they didn't open a refund, ebay considers it a partial refund and they don't credit fvf for partial refunds.

That will change in May. Starting then, we will receive fvf credit on partial refunds.

Message 16 of 16
latest reply