SALES FOR JUNE ARE ALMOST NONE EXISTENT!

How is everyone's sales for the month of June?

This has been my worst June for sales l have experienced in my 12 year selling history on eBay! 

I expect this in July/August when kids are out of school and holidays start for many people.

June has traditionally been a strong, consistent month for me.  

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Re: SALES FOR JUNE ARE ALMOST NONE EXISTENT!

As of now, I'm down 40% from last year. Worst in the last 15 years that I remember.  This year so far has been worst from before.

Richmond, BC
Message 21 of 24
latest reply

@hlmacdon wrote:

@silverpinups wrote:

eBay sales have been unpredictable this year... The Trump Effect!

Without veering off into politics, consumer sentiment tends to dip negatively when politicians on all sides are behaving like children. The latest US survey numbers out indicate a large dip in May and June is trending lower. 

This has been my impression as well, and I do believe the effect has been studied and recognized by marketing experts for quite some time.  

I have no data of my own to go by, other than my own sales patterns for over 10 years, but something happened last July once Trump became the Republican nominee.  Because I sell primarily to the U.S., I notice when a particularly unusual drop in sales occurs that is outside past patterns.  

Something even more significant happened once he got elected in November, 2016.  I've been calling it the "Trump Slump" for lack of a better term.  My sales since that time have been lower than in any previous year, by a good 30% or more -- and not just on eBay, which leads me to believe the problem is not confined to this site and its issues (as much as some of those can contribute to poor sales).  People are nervous, even scared, about the future, and when that happens, it has an effect on discretionary or luxury spending. 

I've had both US and Global TRS since those programmes began, but I'm about to lose my US designation due to low sales volumes.  I don't care too much anymore about the 10% discount, but I do care about whether losing TRS will only compound the sluggish sales issue by downgrading my visibility.  If I survive the next year I can probably continue to limp along, albeit with far lower margins. 

There is an intriguing quote that I heard years ago, but I'm afraid I've forgotten the source.  Basically the comment was that during the Great Depression, nobody could sell anything unless it was a necessity.  (Booze might seem the obvious exception, but it might also sadly have become something close to a social necessity).  

So your prepper gear comment may not be far off the mark.  I've seen U.S. websites selling purpose-packed survival seed casks for everything from a mini-garden to a complete homestead.  Home food preservation units are being advertised on TV, something no one has thought about since the 1970's.  There is a lot of fear and worry going on in the U.S. right now, and for good reason.  That can't be having a happy effect on purchasing from international sellers (which is, after all, what we are).  

Message 22 of 24
latest reply

Don't just blame Trump and the US.

Our prime ministers spends money like water. The Bay and Sears in Canada are in serious trouble. Many retail stores are also in serious trouble here and in the US..

Canada consumer debt is absolutely absurd and our housing market has a likely scenario of taking a serious nose dive.

Many people are living way beyond their means and don't seem to care, spend and spend until they can't spend any more, which is where many are.

Maybe if the politicians would tell the truth about the economy that it is in poor shape and getting worse. Get their heads out of the sand and start acting responsibly and take their blinders off.

If I remember correctly, Canada Post will be back negotiating with the Union again in January or so. More headaches. Of course our government will do nothing again. Run another study and then fudge everything like the last time.

Every time we get ridiculous postal increases, more small businesses goes broke.

How can we expect ecommerce to get better when nothing else seems to.

Not wanting to step on toes, but bringing in refugees is a great thing, but why not treat the native population just as well. I feel sorry for both, but the natives were here long before the rest of us.

The only 2 things that have solved issues in the past were wars and depression.

I am glad I am the age I am and not a 20 or 30 something having to deal with things as they are.

And it is no better in the rest of the world either. Tax everyone to death so governments can spend more but do nothing for the economy as a whole.

End of my views!

Message 23 of 24
latest reply

On an opposite note... Someone from US just bought 5 books at buy-it-now (30% above auction start price) 🙂 my May was pretty slow but am happy about how my sales have picked up a bit in June. I might just be able to keep my TRS a little longer 🙂
Message 24 of 24
latest reply