Settlement of strike?

I just saw on the news that Canada Post has agreed to a temporary settlement after "eBay giant " contacted Canada Post. Didn't get all the details, but it does look good!

Message 1 of 36
latest reply
35 REPLIES 35

Re: Settlement of strike?

The postal banking idea is a pipe dream of CUPW alone as I understood it. I thought Canada Post itself did not desire venturing into this arena so if CUPW believes postal banking to be a such profitable goldmine, my suggestion would be for union management to invest their own time to create credit unions of their own using rented space in post offices and see how that works. Or maybe that is their plan. Postal Credit Unions. Cause, you know, unions.
Message 21 of 36
latest reply

Right. It’s CUPW. https://www.postalbanking.ca/en/campaign/postal-banking

Replace ‘bank’ with ‘credit union’ and let CUPW have at it. It would keep them busy, maybe do some good, and also possibly make them the money they want.
Message 22 of 36
latest reply

The next time you shop at a grocery store, at a department store, or at a drug store ......

Pay with your Interac card.....and look to see if you can withdraw money from your bank account.

As long as people have earnings and other income directly deposited into a bank account...  they can withdraw money from their account in this manner... when they buy something.

No postal bank required.   

CUPW can promote postal banking,,,, However, this payment-get cash option will allow people to withdraw money from a bank account.....

Message 23 of 36
latest reply

@mapleleaf-collectibles wrote:

I don't think anything Ebay says will have any effect on these negotiations. Actually, by Ebay speaking out, it  benefits the union strength in negotiating. 

I think you are spot on. It never hurts for stakeholders like retailers, marketplaces, and concerned parties (especially on the behalf of individuals/sellers) to reiterate their concerns to Canada Post but Canada Post is well aware who their top accounts are, how they are effected by a strike, and the possibility of share shifting losses in revenue to other competitors like UPS.  Judging by the coordinated nature of the press releases on this, ebay likely spent more time talking with newspapers than they did with Canada Post, or government officials for that matter.

As you rightly noted, the only two parties that matter here are the union and Canada Post and both sides know what they want. The more retailer pressure there is, the more emboldened the union will be. Until there is full blown strike activity and the government orders them back to work this is all much ado about nothing. You can lobby the government all you want as a retailer, but as we have seen with the USMCA, governments have their own agendas. 

Message 24 of 36
latest reply

@cumos55 wrote:

Pay with your Interac card.....and look to see if you can withdraw money from your bank account.

As long as people have earnings and other income directly deposited into a bank account...  they can withdraw money from their account in this manner... when they buy something.

No postal bank required.    

Postal banking isn't about competing with Interac or Apple Pay for that matter. The point of postal banking here would be to utilize existing facilities to be able to offer localized financial services (ie brick and mortar) to communities underserved by existing financial institutions by way of geography, remoteness, etc. Canada is one giant chunk of land with randomly dispersed people with completely unequal access to resources in many cases. In that sense postal banking makes sense, at a local level. Whether that makes it a sustainable venture when viewed in the totality of the country is a different matter especially when people, as you say for example, have existing convenient options for paying for anything. I've only been to a bank myself a few times in the last 5 years as you can get a lot done remotely.

Message 25 of 36
latest reply

Yes, most of us are used to using online banking now. I actually had someone pay me for some work I did with a cheque the other day. For a minute I couldn’t  think how to get the money into my bank account, I’ve become so used to money being deposited automatically. Then I got to the bank and was unable to find an envelope in which to place my cheque for deposit. Didn’t realize that you don’t need one now, just put the cheque or money into the ATM.

Pretty soon we won’t need to leave our house at all. Except to drive to the post office to drop off eBay pkgs. of course. No pickup where I live.

Message 26 of 36
latest reply

How about taking a photo of the cheque  with your Mobile App, and sending  that photo to your bank... and it gets deposited into your account...

Some banks are starting to do this.

Saw it on a TV commercial.........What next?

--------------------

The last time I wrote a cheque was about one year ago.

Message 27 of 36
latest reply

Anyone who has access to the internet, can come here and read what has been written about the strike, in response to the strike,  how we are dealing with the strike....

and finally our desire to have the strike end......  and maybe....  never, ever, again

-----------------------------------

Canada Post is an essential service for  on-line sellers .......

and   also... an essential service for everyone who now choose to buy something on-line

Message 28 of 36
latest reply

@cumos55 wrote:

How about taking a photo of the cheque  with your Mobile App, and sending  that photo to your bank... and it gets deposited into your account...

Some banks are starting to do this.

Saw it on a TV commercial.........What next?

Yep just scan and deposit. Traditional banks do not want to see or deal with you in person for routine transactions. Gone are the old days when we would visit the bank on pay day or the weekend and withdraw cash for weekly spending. You know, back when people budgeted instead of living off every ounce of credit they can muster.  

Message 29 of 36
latest reply

Should I close my eBay store till the strike is over?
Message 30 of 36
latest reply

You're the only one who can decide that. Some did close their stores and others have kept them open.  So far I haven't had any problems although as things get backed up more its possible that there will be problems.

Message 31 of 36
latest reply

If you close your store there may be fees involved. Something to consider.

If you cancel your yearly Store subscription, you may be billed an early termination fee.

https://www.ebay.ca/pages/help/sell/closing-your-store.html

-CM

Message 32 of 36
latest reply

I think you may be confusing early termination of the store subscription with hiding listings. I believe the user is asking about hiding their listings when they say, “close their store” and not to quit selling, period. It’s a good reminder though to people considering quitting their contract early. This is not that.
Message 33 of 36
latest reply

Put the store on vacation.... and wait until the storm ... the postal strike ends....

Message 34 of 36
latest reply

Close my store? The heck I will. That would be cutting my nose to spite my face.

Even if Canada Post goes full strike or lock-out, I can still offer Local Pickup, courier service, or export to the USA. I simply need to know if I have to take those measures or not. It's not knowing which is killing everyone shopping and selling.

The rotating strikes I coped with without difficulty for weeks until news broke on Friday that incoming mail was being asked to hold-off, and the postal system was 30-days clogged.  

In other words, had I shut my doors mid-October, I'd have lost thousands of dollars in sales on top of the thousands of dollars in sales I'm losing right now.

Canada Post needs to go back to work. Willing or not, I don't care anymore. My family is entirely self-employed, none of us have any health or dental benefits whatsoever, no holidays off, no vacation time, no workplace safety, no short-term disability, never mind the assurance of double-time if we have to work -- is it -- six days in a row? 

All I see is selfishness around me in regards to this labour action/service disruption. Fat Cat management and Fat Cat union reps and postal workers getting syrup on top of a deal that's already pretty sweet. 

I've had as much of this (redacted) as I'm willing to take.

Message 35 of 36
latest reply

THIS IS CHRISTMAS AND I SELL TOYS! 

That's like if someone only sold grad dresses and there was a hurricane in June!

Message 36 of 36
latest reply