Settlement of strike?

I just saw on the news that Canada Post has agreed to a temporary settlement after "eBay giant " contacted Canada Post. Didn't get all the details, but it does look good!

Message 1 of 36
latest reply
35 REPLIES 35

Settlement of strike?

My postmaster told me this afternoon that the Canada and South America big wig (ie Andrea) sent something to Canada Post about the impact this was having on us, them and customers, so it does look (for all the doubters out there) that eBay was doing stuff to try to help move this along too!!!!
Message 2 of 36
latest reply

Settlement of strike?

Ebay Canada has that much pull with Canada Post? Didn't someone yank the discounts they can't offer anymore? It looks like Canada Post made a time limited offer to the union which hasn't been accepted yet. Looks more like posturing and a PR campaign at this stage.

Message 3 of 36
latest reply

Settlement of strike?

The fact that Canadian sellers continued to sell during the rotating strikes  was a definite indication that Canada Post was important with each of these sellers....

It is this reality that makes Canada Post an essential service.

Canada Post may not be an essential service for the general population that used lettermail, and now use other options on the internet.

Our discussions about the postal situation have been a very good source of information.

Message 5 of 36
latest reply

Settlement of strike?

I just read the news, I’ve been away from my desk all day. I’m very, very pleased to see Ms Stairs use ebay’s influence to call on the federal government to urge these parties to stop throwing us as Canadian sellers and buyers under the bus as part of their contract dispute. It’s EXACTLY what I hoped to see after my angry outburst yesterday about it. I’m feeling gratified. Even if it gets us nowhere further than this, at least we made enough noise that other folks stopped to listen for once. I will not go gently into that good night, none of us should.
Message 7 of 36
latest reply

Settlement of strike?

The union responded and this was it .

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now What?

The National Executive Board will be meeting Wednesday evening to determine the next steps. Several important issues have not been addressed. There has been some movement on a few issues but we have a long way to go. Obviously this does not constitute a basis for settlement.

This Still Doesn’t Do It!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seems we are in the same situation we have been in they want everything they proposed . Nothing less. What the government proposed was not enough .

Message 8 of 36
latest reply

Settlement of strike?

Now, a break from our regular scheduled programming. Video is 4 years old but still quite entertaining!! How far we're come!!  Enjoy!!!  Smiley Surprised 

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/01/15/rick-mercer-canada-post-video_n_4602745.html

-CM

Message 9 of 36
latest reply

Settlement of strike?

The union pushes back.   

Not willing to end negotiations.

Not ready to make us happy.

May the Union ... Rest in Peace.

Message 10 of 36
latest reply

Settlement of strike?

It’s clear to me that CUPW brass never wanted to negotiate a settlement. They will tell their members that no offer is good enough in order to force the government to step-in and mandate the postal workers return back-to-work to support the needs and demands of an enraged population of Canadians.

That way, CUPW can blame their failure to do what they’ve promised their members on: (a) Canada Post management; (b) the federal government; (c) rude and unsupportive, selfish Canadians like me, (d) anyone or anything... except that it was unreasonable, unmanageable and inflexible from the start.

It’s playground politics. I have children, and I can spot an eight-year-old trying to outsmart another eight-year-old a mile away. This is a classic tactic to force the grownups to make you as a belligerent, self-righteous eight-year-old make peace so that you do not, in fact, have to make any concessions in doing so. You get to be forced to make nice so you can walk away feeling like you still get to tell the friends or siblings on your side that you were right all along, that you were never wrong, and the only reason it’s over is because teacher or Mom made you do it.

I see where Canada Post used the steps taken by Ms Stairs to their advantage as well. It’s lovely posturing, as brilliant as it gets.

I’m fairly certain I can see where this will lead and the path it’s going to take getting there. As eBay sellers and buyers, our next actions, if we want to hope this gets fixed sooner rather than later, is to start publicly requesting (demanding) our elected federal representatives make CUPW make nice with Canada Post.

It’s be SO NICE if we could all just get back to work instead of having to waste our time and effort on this.

Does everyone here know to whom to write, whom to cc, and how to do it?

Message 11 of 36
latest reply

Settlement of strike?

I think you are absolutely right on this. Was pleased to see eBay contact the government. Will be very interesting to see where this goes now. I remember when PM Harper legislated them back to work & a judge said he shouldn’t have done it.

Message 12 of 36
latest reply

Settlement of strike?

@katlover1952 wrote:

... I remember when PM Harper legislated them back to work & a judge said he shouldn’t have done it.

What the judge ruled was that how Harper did it was incorrect, as the back to work legislation specified what the new wages would be (less than the Canada Post 2011 final offer).

Message 13 of 36
latest reply

Settlement of strike?

I don't think anything Ebay says will have any effect on these negotiations. Actually, by Ebay speaking out, it  benefits the union strength in negotiating.  The more people complain the more power the union has at the bargaining table.  With the current back log of trailers full of mail across Canada, and with Christmas deadlines almost upon us, there is no hope of clearing it up before the Christmas rush. I hate to be a Scrooge, but this problem is not going away anytime soon, not until the New Year anyway. I'm taking the rest of this strike off, and I look forward to starting fresh in the new year.  I hope the posties union gets everything they ever wanted, a nice long contract with good increases, then maybe we can have a few years of steady selling without any disruptions in service.

Message 14 of 36
latest reply

Settlement of strike?

Canadian sellers on eBay fall into many categories...

(1) The young generation, early twenties, still going to a University or College.  The money they earn is that little bit extra.  I know of a book seller who follows the same principle I use to sell on eBay...  Not a big seller, but he does very well.  I know of a second person who started very simply on eBay and is doing  well with the assistance of someone who is older than him

(2). The younger generation that starts something on eBay and then migrates to something very big.  I know a seller who started with the selling of stamps and books on eBay.   Today he is with a group in Vancouver, that travels worldwide to buy major stamp collections, sometimes worth hundreds of thousands of dollars....  and the stamps are sold

(3) There are families with young children.  One member works outside the house, while the other stays at home,  with the children, and sells on eBay.

(4)  There are seniors, who have retired.  They retire and look for something to do...  Selling on eBay is an option...  and they become quite successful. The idea is to keep busy, and do something to keep the brain and body going.   Sometimes  you have to do something to make it happen. How about the four seniors that played golf together....every week.  One of  these four retired  from work and he stopped playing golf.... He also retired from golf.  He went back a year later and could not keep up with  the other three golfers.

Many people who sell on eBay use Canada Post.

Canada Post cares.....  but the Union does its thing, and does not recognize... in writing....  their effect on these eBay people.  There are other people that sell online,  and there are some very large businesses that also use Canada Post.   The Union only looks at themselves in a mirror  

Message 15 of 36
latest reply

Settlement of strike?

Canada Post is an essential service for ALL on-line sellers.

The fact that eBay has stepped forward and said something to the Government, is a signal to others  who also use Canada Post to do the same....

Message 16 of 36
latest reply

Settlement of strike?

That’s how I see it too.
Message 17 of 36
latest reply

Settlement of strike?

And yet one of their possible solutions is to trust them to be our bank too??

Message 18 of 36
latest reply

Settlement of strike?

Sadly I have a feeling if Canada Post does not sweeten their offer it is clear the Union will not except the current offer. I also see Canada Post standing firm on the current offer and when the deadline passes there will be a lockout. 

It seems the Union is in an all or nothing mentality. It seems no offer will be good enough. Canada Post could really decide to lock them out and let the government put and end to the whole thing. With the amount of back logged mail and Christmas rush starting and the out cry from online retailers of the hurt to their Christmas season sales, eBay and people who have mail being held hostage I cannot see how the government will not step in.

The pile of back logged mail as it is will cause delays on the Christmas shopping season and if it gets any higher well it will take a lot of effort to get things rolling smoothly in time for the Christmas season. 

In short I will be very surprised once the deadline passes there is not a lock out. I am also willing to bet the government steps in next week to put an end to things at least till after Christmas or period.

Message 19 of 36
latest reply

Settlement of strike?

The bank would be there to make more money for Canada Post

and then... Canada Post would be able to pay the workers more, and more.

All of Canada's banks say ... NO ... to this option

Message 20 of 36
latest reply