Shipping times in Canada not being adjusted

Anonymous
Not applicable

Frustrated with Ebay as of lately.

Between all the software changes and errors . lost sales do the crawler not even picking up items listed.

Thats petty anyways !!! why?? do they still insist on having letter  mail delivery show as one day to a week expected delivery ! One day umm let's get real CPC/EBay . 

.................................................................................

I need to vent and have a discussion  about how its of its even possible to get ebay to change this to a realistic delivery exception of 3 days to 2 weeks for lettermail . 

I tried setting the shipping to economy in Canada but that just scared my customers away. I left it up on the US shipping im losing money daily because they don't want to wait a month. 

Unrealistic expectations, i've been in sales my whole life if anything you lower the customer expectations don't promise what you can't delivery EBAY! 

Any thoughts on this are welcome even if its just to vent , my wifes tired of listening to me lol. 

Stay safe out there guys! 

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

You are not alone with this.

One suggestion is that we set our Handling Time to be longer, on the basis that that is something most buyers don't notice in the rush.

However, when we then ship promptly, that goes by the board.

Perhaps you should add your voice to the chorus on Wednesday's Chat? It's usually opened on Tuesdays to allow tyler@ebay to research.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

One suggestion is that we set our Handling Time to be longer, on the basis that that is something most buyers don't notice in the rush.

Perhaps you should add your voice to the chorus on Wednesday's Chat? It's usually opened on Tuesdays to allow tyler@ebay to research.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks! I have thought about getting more involved but not sure if it make me stressed out smiles. Unfortunately the buyers do notice the extended shipping times it almost flatlined my sales its slowly coming back after reinstating the Canada post Lettermail. I guess the problem is that us with free shipping via mail are feeling like its 7 days or free guarantee, I dont get many claims such as this but they always leave me feeling like a need a shower to clean the filth off after. Where Tyler he might have something to offer. Since I dont use tracking ebay dosnt help me with my top rated protection plan Regarding stepping in with delayed delivers or reimbursement. My seller discounts and ad fee incentive covers my shrinkage but I hate that I'm loosing a potential repeat customer do to high expectations of delivery times. Anyways how do I get notifications with my threads?
Message 3 of 12
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member
A recent announcement claims that eBay is adjusting shipping times for US-bound shipments:

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Announcements/Significant-delays-to-Canada-Post-deliveries-to-the-Unite...

The huge Canada Post Gateway facility in Mississauga has seen a serious COVID-19 outbreak:

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/canada-post-employee-dies-after-contracting-covid-19-amid-major-outbreak-...
Message 4 of 12
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:
A recent announcement claims that eBay is adjusting shipping times for US-bound shipments:

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Announcements/Significant-delays-to-Canada-Post-deliveries-to-the-Unite...

The huge Canada Post Gateway facility in Mississauga has seen a serious COVID-19 outbreak:

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/canada-post-employee-dies-after-contracting-covid-19-amid-major-outbreak-...

@Anonymous 

Unfortunately the announcements basically avoided the problem many sellers are having for domestic shipments(within their own countries). This has been a ongoing concern for sellers for months. Fedex/UPS/Purolator etc are really not viable options for the majority of sellers. Especially sellers selling low valued items.

-Lotz

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable
That's the problem right in a nutshell . Adjusted times for Canada to usa. Basically they said if you use CPC to use tracking nothing done for within Canada std mail . Mail is taking 2 weeks to arrive leaving the province of ontario it still says you have your item In a few days lol never seen it yet dispute covid. I dont think someone is willing to pay 13.00 $18.00 tracked for a movie . Ebay needs to come over here and see how cheap canadians really are how expensive everything really is. Lettermail in the states provides tracking if you go into the office and get it 4 bucks . They have anowledged this in another way and removed the tracking requirements in Canada to be a top rated, which only offset shrink a bit with discounts. I get so mad at the mega stores who can undercut us all and provide poor merchandise.. I sell almost new product listex as very good and priced just to gain customers but I cant afford to continue this way for long. I'll have to become dropshipper to stay in this business much longer.
Message 6 of 12
latest reply

I shipped an item lettermail on Jan 31. The item went from Mtl to Dundas, Ontario and was estimated to arrive between Jan 19 to Feb. 3. The buyer contacted me on Jan 20 to inquire its status. I was able to reassure him it was shipped and asked him to patiently wait another 7 days. On Jan 27, I contacted him and it still had not arrived. I promised to refund him fully on Feb. 3 and he should file an INR on that date. Fortunately, this exceptional buyer was extremely patient and he contacted me yesterday to advise me it had finally arrived, he was very happy and wanted the item, not a refund. And I suspect it went through before the Mississauga Hub was shut down!  The week before I had an item take five days to get to Texas. Due to the impossibility to predict where Covid will hit next, it's become postal roulette, place your bets!

Stay Safe!

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

@retrocorp.inc wrote:

I shipped an item lettermail on Jan 31. The item went from Mtl to Dundas, Ontario and was estimated to arrive between Jan 19 to Feb. 3. The buyer contacted me on Jan 20 to inquire its status. I was able to reassure him it was shipped and asked him to patiently wait another 7 days. On Jan 27, I contacted him and it still had not arrived. I promised to refund him fully on Feb. 3 and he should file an INR on that date. Fortunately, this exceptional buyer was extremely patient and he contacted me yesterday to advise me it had finally arrived, he was very happy and wanted the item, not a refund. And I suspect it went through before the Mississauga Hub was shut down!  The week before I had an item take five days to get to Texas. Due to the impossibility to predict where Covid will hit next, it's become postal roulette, place your bets!

Stay Safe!

A little follow up in case anyone else hadn't seen. Early in December I had 3 customers choose Xpresspost, For Vancouver, Saskatoon and outside of Houston Tx. They should have arrived in plenty of time but were much longer than expected. The parcel for Houston sat in Vancouver for 2 weeks. In going out on a limb to see if CP would do some sort of refund for the service failures, answer is basically NO. They won't even consider refunding the difference between Xpresspost and Expedited. Knowing that it makes limited difference between the 2 services, a seller could either refund and downgrade and forfeit any ebay/and or paypal fees if customer has already paid. Send a revised invoice if they haven't paid. Bulk editing is not an option as to the fact that for some sellers it causes mass issues with missing Item Specifics. For the time being, I will probably avoid offering Xpresspost on any new listings and save any hassle.

-Lotz

Good one. Postal roulette!!! 🙂 Ya pays your money, yas takes your chances!!

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

and was estimated to arrive between Jan 19 to Feb. 3. The buyer contacted me on Jan 20 to inquire its status. I was able to reassure him it was shipped and asked him to patiently wait another 7 days. On Jan 27, I contacted him and it still had not arrived. I promised to refund him fully on Feb. 3

I am old and cynical.

Never contact a buyer who is not complaining.

Not only did you move the last estimated delivery date up by a week, but

you just told him that he will get a refund-- whether the item has arrived or not.

Most people are honest, but it only takes one.

Don't poke a sleeping bear.

EBay told him the delivery might be as late as Feb. 3.

He can't do a darn thing until Feb. 3, and even then eBay won't let him open the Dispute for another 24 hours.

And then you have 96 hours to refund.

Again, most people are honest but ....

I've been selling by mail order since the 80s, and in my experience 20 days is perfectly normal for delivery in North America. Often sooner, not unusual to be later.

With the pandemic..... there are slowdowns reported in hubs constantly and then they are cleared and then there is another report.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

To add to the bruhaha...Guaranteed Delivery Dates...Updated after the fact by eBay.

https://www.ecommercebytes.com/C/blog/blog.pl?/pl/2021/1/1611602719.html

As announced by Canadapost/USPS, they are guaranteeing nothing!!!

-Lotz

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

I've been doing damage control on a lot of items over the Christmas rush. Of 156 orders I had about 7 go missing so I had to refund them in full (worst was California with 3). The one item I kind of blew off the seller ended up getting a full refund and then left a negative accusing me of a scam! She made a point of contacting me to say I was not responding to her concerns properly. I was lucky to get eBay remove the fb.

So I agree with you for the most part that you should make the customer kvetch before doing anything, but these are very unusual times. I've had more items get lost in the past month than the past 20 years. I can't afford to ship tracked USA for most of them due to item price. So I consider INR's the cost of doing business.

Overall, the buyer is nervous and apprehensive he/she may be getting scammed. My rationale is to try to convince the buyer otherwise, (no really it has been shipped and should be arriving any day now) and remind them they are fully covered by eBay and it's just going to take some time.

You are right again to consider 20 days normal shipping times but that was before Prime delivery promised groceries to your door in 2 hours. I see a lot more buyers less willing to wait than ever before. But then again, it really shouldn't take 30 days to mail an envelope from Mtl. to Ontario.

~ May you live in interesting times~
Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Ive been watching all usa items since that announcement on 21st,  I dont see any delays occurring, in fact everything is on or ahead of schedule.  As a result sales to usa have nearly dropped to zero. 

Message 12 of 12
latest reply