Shopping cart in store?

Hello, this is my first post, I beg patience if I don’t word this exactly right. I used to have a store, years ago, but have recently opened another to help a family member liquidate her mother in law’s estate. Anyway, I have had two US buyers buy multiple items but cannot put them in a cart, then ask me for the combined shipping. Since my store has various item types I cannot set a ore-determined price for multiple purchases, each combination must be weighed for postage. They both said ebay wanted payment for each item with full shipping for each item. For the first buyer I put the 3 items in one box and marked the other two as shipped, but I know that was wrong, but figured it was a one off...never to happen again. Well, it has happened again and my customer is waiting for me to help him when I cannot help myself lol. The only help I can find from ebay is by phone! I am sick and have no voice, I looked and looked for an email address for support, but gave up. So I looked here, and found only old posts ( unless I searched wrongly), or no clear answers. Can someone please tell me how to get combined shipping in my store? ( ps: I do not have immediate payment required).

thank you so much for your time.

Message 1 of 33
latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

Re: Shopping cart in store?

izzame
Community Member
RE: putting into cart. Hmmm I was having this problem 1.5 years ago and lost thousands in sales, but so did ebay lose $$$$ in fees. I called ebay numerous times when I'd get an email from potential buyer, remember most buyers don't bother to email, they just move on. CS told me " the buyer has to purchase and use the cart on the ebay site that it was listed on" I responded, "how is the buyer suppose to know what site I listed on" hmm good question, nobody has asked that. Obviously it hasn't been fixed yet, but again that is the ebay way ....
Message 21 of 33
latest reply

Is it possible that buyers are finding some items on dotCA and some on dotCOM?

I understand that the carts will not combine items originally listed on different sites.

@izzame 

I responded, "how is the buyer suppose to know what site I listed on"

The price of an item listed on dotCA but found on dotCOM will have the price in both currencies, with the original currency in smaller letters.

The same item found on dotCA will have the price only in loonies.

There is no particular reason a buyer would know that detail.

Message 22 of 33
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

Paypal does not charge for refunds to Canadian sellers.

Paypal does have a non-refundable 30 cent charge on transactions.

So a Canadian seller who refunds five domestic transactions at $10 each paid as one transaction (shopping cart) would lose 30 cents.

True until May 2020. Then we will be Americanized for paypal fees.

The latest PayPal Canadian agreement update notice:

"if merchants refund (partially or fully) a transaction to a buyer, there are no fees to make the refund, but the fees originally paid by the merchant will not be returned.  This change will become effective on May 19, 2020."

Message 23 of 33
latest reply

I don’t understand why the app doesn’t have the same functions as on a

PC.  Ebay is constantly changing pages on the classic site.....in some cases so that the page Works better on mobile,  yet they don’t seem too concerned about a buyer wanting to request a total.  Their priorities do seem bizarre at times.

Message 24 of 33
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

@retroman_studios 

Thanks. I forgot about that for App/Mobile purchases. Another reason a buyer may request a revised invoice is if a shipping option was not included. Example: Xpresspost. I don't routinely include with all listings but I've had it requested after purchase on several occasions. Makes it very difficult in these types of situations.

-Lotz

It shouldn’t be difficult.  If they haven’t paid you can send them a new invoice.  If they have paid, send them an invoice on PP for the extra charge.

Message 25 of 33
latest reply

@playfarmers 

@sylviebee 

@retroman_studios 

@pjcdn2005 

Except for the fact that it HAS become difficult based on the other numerous posts from the beginning of this discussion for quite some time. Things working differently between the App & PC version. As per the reasons why you cannot send a replacement invoice as per Tyler. (Post 8.) The ongoing error message when you attempt to send an invoice...Not knowing really if has sent or not. Having the option blocked out or not available when you try to send one. Needing to switch at times between Chrome and Edge to send an invoice with multiple shipping options. (It will default to 1 choice when several were listed in the original listing.) Sending an invoice is a standard business practice. Sending a modified invoice for numerous reasons is just as necessary. As per another discussion there is nothing that in the works of being undone. 

As per that list you are unable to ask for a revised invoice if you are only purchasing 1 item. I have customers on a regular basis who order multiple units of the same listing. They have been unable to request an invoice at certain times. (How do I know. They told me.) The calculator is almost always low. The other interesting nuance to this problem is if you are purchasing several different items the handling charge applicable to each item gets added to the total based on your settings. With multiples of the same unit it only gets added once even though the FVF's get added to the whole order. (As per eBay this is how it is designed!!) If an invoice is not accurate and gets paid you cannot rebill the customer after the fact. Coming out of any meager profit a seller makes. 

So if a buyer cannot request a new updated invoice or a seller is blocked from sending one, yes, it is problem.

-Lotz

PS. All my listings are created on dot ca, so that would never be an issue in my situation.

Message 26 of 33
latest reply

I’ve read the thread, I am aware of the challenges.  My comment was based on your comment about not being able to send a revised invoice If someone wanted a different service such as xpresspost.  As I said, if the buyer contacts you asking for a different service, you can easily send them an invoice.  No, they can’t request the invoice through checkout but they can message you and you can send them an updated invoice.  

I’m not saying that it is ideal or that the cart works how you or I think it should work, I am saying that it Is possible to send a revised invoice in that situation.

Message 27 of 33
latest reply

Call me paranoid, but I truly believe that Ebay purposely makes a combined invoice very, very difficult to provide. They like the extra revenue from the multiple shipping FVF's.  Why fix something that is generating extra income? Probably a low priority.

Message 28 of 33
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 

These are the options I am seeing when I attempt to send a revised invoice before a buyer has paid.

Invoicing options.JPG

So it is technically a problem. It's very possible the options differ on dot com. Unable to confirm or utilize. If you have to refund manually, then its more lost fees in the process. And nowhere does it actually state ADD TO CART is the unofficial possible work around.

-Lotz

Message 29 of 33
latest reply

I haven't read all the thread but I've had similar problems trying to send another/2nd invoice from within seller hub, however if you open the actual item itself, voila, one can resend the invoice again.

If you've already tried this my apologies for missing it above....
Message 30 of 33
latest reply

@ricarmic 

Unfortunately it all goes back up to the top of the post. Numerous others have similar complaints. It has to do with the rules regarding when someone tries to send an amended invoice they are unable to when a customer is only purchasing 1 item.  Sending new invoices can happen for many reasons so truly needs to be a tool in a sellers basket that should be available and also from the other perspective buyers should be able to request 1 in when required.

-Lotz

PS. The system will block the request an invoice in cases where sellers are set up for either immediate payment or that they do not combine on shipping but those are settings problems yay vs nay.

Message 31 of 33
latest reply

I don’t have any unpaid items right now so I can’t check but your screenshot show that the item is ‘ready to ship’.  Does that show up before payment?  

As ricarmic said you may have to go to the item itself to see the send invoice option.  I don’t know if that happens often as I haven’t sent an invoice in a while.   I know that the send invoice link is still available  on my ebay sold screen.

Message 32 of 33
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 

@ricarmic 

That screenshot was sent before the item was paid. In checking a transaction where the customer changed their mind.... checking both places, Manage Orders and the actual Order there is no place to resend an invoice. At Least not on my page. It should show up in both places. Same format. End of story.  It's not something you should need to look all over the place for.

Post 21 addresses this situation quite well. Thanks @izzame  for sharing along with my condolences. I remember having to go through major hoops several years ago for an international customer with a special order. Having to cancel and recreate listings should not be a workaround as suggested by eBay  CS who were all totally baffled (code for multiple transfers)  on how to fix.

And as mentioned previously this is also a concern for buyers who are unable to request invoices because they happen to be using the App.

-Lotz

Message 33 of 33
latest reply