Sm Pkt Air and the CP fuel increase question

Should I print my Small Pkt Air labels on Sunday before the fuel increase or wait until Monday? Or does it make no difference if mailing on Monday? I use CP Snap Ship for my labels.

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

I always print my labels on Sunday, (I am still using Paypal), I like to have them ready for my husband to mail them on Monday morning. Sales are very few and far between these days with the increased shipping cost because of no letter post for US.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

This time around the answer is yes, get your Snap Ship labels Sunday (up 2.25% for Small Packet).

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/May-2-Canada-Post-fuel-surcharge-increase/m-p/477733

-;-

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Expedited Parcel - $10.38
SfSB saving s- $0.67

Fuel surcharge - $3.01

GST - $0.64 

Total $13.36

Just got a local sale for a small item, that's 30-40 minutes drive from me... and this is more expensive than shipping to US as usual. Not worth my time to "deliver" it myself though as the gas price nowaday is pretty bad too. ‌‌

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

I just had a customer ask me "Eeek did you increase your shipping?". She's a customer here in Ontario (where I am) who has bought from me several times so I guess rates have increased (well fuel surcharges anyways) for Regular Parcel mail here too! Is the always growing fuel charges on every one of their rates, anyone know?

Eeek! Yet, another challenge!

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

I probably should have added I use the "shipping calculator" with my listings!

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

@msau4301 wrote:

... Is the always growing fuel charges on every one of their rates, anyone know?

Canada Post flat rate boxes and lettermail do not have fuel surcharges.

It may not feel like, but the Canada Post fuel surcharge does drop when the cost of fuel drops. Something that is unlikely to happen in the next few months.

May 2022 surcharges are based on an average Canadian diesel fuel price of $1.96/litre.

Price is adjusted on the first Monday of every month.

https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/cpc/en/support/kb/sending/rates-dimensions/fuel-surcharges-on...

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Thank you! I most often use regular or expedited (depending on value) and tracked package to the US.

Those flat rate boxes are looking more appealing for some items! I will check them out this morning on my post office run.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

@msau4301 wrote:

... Is the always growing fuel charges on every one of their rates, anyone know?

Canada Post flat rate boxes and lettermail do not have fuel surcharges.

It may not feel like, but the Canada Post fuel surcharge does drop when the cost of fuel drops. Something that is unlikely to happen in the next few months.

May 2022 surcharges are based on an average Canadian diesel fuel price of $1.96/litre.

Price is adjusted on the first Monday of every month.

https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/cpc/en/support/kb/sending/rates-dimensions/fuel-surcharges-on...

Presently gas prices are lowest in Alberta. Sadly that fuel surcharge is across the board. So it doesn't matter where you live. It's the same ding. Kindof situation where they(CP) win in some provinces. Lose on a few others. Any way you look at it it is still an increase for shipping parcels by mail.  The regional/prepaid boxes only work if the weight/item fits the packaging or the distance makes it worthwhile. Awesome from AB to Atlantic Canada. Pennies in savings to MB/Ont/QC/BC/AB. 

-Lotz

For historical purposes....About 2 bucks in late 80ies to mail 500 grams anywhere in MB with untracked. Why we sent untracked? Because it was safe and reliable. Priority mail was implemented in 1991.

5.50 for 50 lbs anywhere in AB that Puro served. 6.50 to N. Ontario. Yayyy shipping price increases!! <sigh>  As I recall fuel surcharges started early 90ies in trucking.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

@zee-chan wrote:

Expedited Parcel - $10.38
SfSB saving s- $0.67

Fuel surcharge - $3.01

GST - $0.64 

Total $13.36

Just got a local sale for a small item, that's 30-40 minutes drive from me... and this is more expensive than shipping to US as usual. Not worth my time to "deliver" it myself though as the gas price nowaday is pretty bad too. ‌‌

Just processing an 800 gram package going less than 30 k. Fuel Surcharge 4.55.   Customer was billed for correct shipping.  16.50 sale plus shipping = FVF's 5.20. There were savings for the buyer but not sure if they are going to notice.

-Lotz

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

These are the days (times) when us "Free Shipping" folks have to grind our teeth a little, that 31% surcharge makes a signficant difference!

I'm going to have to put my predictive skills to work and determine if I'm going to do an intermediate shipping price increase as opposed to my annual reveiw/increase (since it's never gone down!!!)

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

It arrived in just 18 hours... Dropped off at postal outlet at 2pm, tracking shows delivered at 8am the next morning... Too bad the buyer didn't bother leaving any feedback lol

Even funnier part is I happened to be in that area yesterday (first time in a year) so I could've delivered it myself and saved $13 🤪
Message 12 of 12
latest reply