Started selling 20 years ago today

Lots of changes since I started.

There was only .com

There were only auctions

No Paypal. had to wait for checks, money orders or cash and wait for them to clear

Had to pay another company to load pictures

Almost everyone left feedback

In those days, very few listings in my main category, crafts

Almost everything sold, I remember having a free listing day right after Christmas, and I would list about 80 items, and very few didn't sell.

No community boards, which have been such a help

Very few of those things I would go back to.

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Congratulations on a 20-year milestone! That's quite an accomplishment. 

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

20 years is quite something! Did you receive one of those eBay congratulatory emails yet? They never seem to get the years right though. I got a 10 year one after I had been selling about 12 years.

I do remember listing and then selling everything that was listed and I loved getting cheques,  money orders and cash in an envelope. I never waited for the cheques to cash, everyone was so honest, I shipped as soon as I received payment. Never had a single problem. What I miss most is the community boards where we were able to arrange competitions, meet ups, and gift exchanges. We had fun back selling back then! Do you remember the ugly item contest where we listed our ugly items? And they always sold too! Then we voted to see which was the ugliest. So much fun but of cours we didn’t have the constant eBay updates.

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

congrats on 20 years. 

i best remember, watching items ending Saturday evening, and loving the bidding wars that seemed to happen more often than not.. Didn't ever seem to lose money starting items at .99 and watching the bidding battles that followed. Good times, now your lucky to get 1 bid, on an auction..

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

No email from eBay yet MsMaggie.

Yes, I loved watching the auction bidding, I was sharing a computer with my husband then, but I kept wanting to check the bids.

I remember listing an auction for a book of vintage shawls the bids went up and up and ended at $240! I was so excited. I kept looking for that book again and finally found one about a year ago. When I checked the book on line, I saw several had sold for less than $5. I guess that's what happens now with so many more sellers.

The ugly contest was fun.

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

I have a note about fees in 1999 which is eyeopening.

Listing fees were based on opening bid (no Fixed Price).

Started at 25cents US and rose to $2.00.

Experienced sellers had to tell newbies to list at $9.99 not $10.00 because listing fees went up there.

Free Listings were very rare.

Pictures were 25 cents each, but were not yet mandatory.

I suppose eBay was making its money on listing fees in those days.

Final Value Fees were 5% to 7.5% although I don't recall what attracted the higher rate.

And there were a lot of buyer complaints about shipping rip-offs from sellers who sold at $1.00 but had $10.00 to $100.00 shipping fees (which did not come under FVFs).

Canadian sellers got a lot of this because our normal shipping rates had to be higher than our US competitors.

I was delighted when BillPay became available. Getting cash in the mail was a minor hassle. I had to open a US dollar account. I did have a few personal cheques bounce, usually from US buyers, which meant I had to be cautious about shipping.

And US buyers all too often sent Domestic Postal Money Orders that could not be cashed or deposited* in Canada.

And then Western Union simplified online payments by sending emails to sellers as soon as the buyer bought a money order  and we could ship immediately knowing that the money order was on its way.

That lasted for a good six months before the phoney emails started.

BillPay was much more reliable. EBay fairly soon switched over to Paypal rather than continue to run their own private system.

And bought PP in 2002.

I don't think things are better or worse.

Just different.

*We slipped them into our company bank deposits, since we always did a fair bit of business in US dollars. Sneaky but the bank accepted them that way as long as we used the night deposit bag and not the commercial tellers who paid attention.

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

I’m still unsure why sellers made such a fuss about receiving those Domestic money orders. I just deposited them into my eBay account at TD bank using the ATM machine and never had one rejected by the bank.

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

Congrats on 20 years. Have you considered writing a book about the experience? Call it Tribers and Tribulations of 20 years, Selling on eBay!!  Then turn around and sell it and the rights on eBay!! BIN Pricing Only!  🙂

-CM

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Congrats @triber! That takes some doing, and it's been a really neat thread reading everyone's memories of how it used to be. 

I like @lotzofuniquegoodies's memoir title a lot, I think there's room for a series there somewhere!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 9 of 16
latest reply

Thank you Tyler. I think on the whole there are a lot more positives than negatives in eBay these days. I know that I and other sellers are very happy to have your help and replies on this board.

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

Hear hear.

I feel both proud of you and humbled by you being here and sticking with it 20 years. That’s a really big deal.
Message 11 of 16
latest reply

Thank you momcqueen, it won't be for another 20 years, I will be 76 next month, but I want to continue selling as long as I can. With just a state pension, it is very helpful.

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

Congrats on your anniversary!

Yep a lot has changed in 20 years!

(I'm here 20 years in March)

My big decision back then was whether or not to buy a Sony Mavica digital camera which put the pictures onto 3.5" floppy disks. I had piles and piles of floppy disks!!!! It cost nearly $1,000 which was a lot of money to the business at that time on an experiment/gamble. Turned out to be a very good investment and decision in the end! (my material does not scan well so a scanner wasn't really a viable option)

I don't miss all the cheques and money orders and extra effort around processing them (although my loss rate in PAYPAL land is higher than it ever was for cheques).

I am glad to be rid of the self hosting site and all the effort it took to maintain the pictures there.

Oh the memories, more to come I'm sure!

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

@msmaggie060

Passing them over the counter to a living teller got them rejected, which was why they went into the commercial account, which was automated and not really looked at by human eyes.

Also PO money orders could be cashed at the post office when we were dropping off parcels, but not those darn domestic ones.

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

Yep the blasted "greenies".....
Message 15 of 16
latest reply

Oh yes, I had forgotten those, had to return quite a few of them.

Message 16 of 16
latest reply