The list of excluded countries eBay forced on us

I checked today the list of excluded countries on the Canada Post site and noticed that following countries that are entered on our listings as excluded are open for shipping:

Switzerland, Israel, Greece, Latvia, Estonia, Indonesia

Isn't it eBay duty to update this list on our listings? 

REGULARLY!

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Re: The list of excluded countries eBay forced on us

@block36 wrote:

I checked today the list of excluded countries on the Canada Post site and noticed that following countries that are entered on our listings as excluded are open for shipping:

Switzerland, Israel, Greece, Latvia, Estonia, Indonesia

Isn't it eBay duty to update this list on our listings? 

REGULARLY!

Here's our list of excluded countries:

Excludes: India, Brazil, Israel, Philippines, Ukraine, Indonesia, Jamaica, Qatar, Singapore, Greece, Saudi Arabia, Switzerland, Nigeria, Sri Lanka, Chile, Cameroon, Colombia, Morocco, South Africa, Malaysia, Egypt, Latvia, Kuwait, Macedonia, Costa Rica.

Message 2 of 20
latest reply

It is exactly what I mean - the list of “our excluded countries” should be updated in accordance with the changes on Canada Post’s site.
Certain  countries are no longer listed as excluded on their list, and it is too bad that ourselves can not update our listings.

As was mentioned a couple of days ago by one experienced seller, it will take “forever” to remove or correct this list.

Message 3 of 20
latest reply

Canada Post is not the only shipping provider in Canada, I am still able to use other shipping provider ship to countries that Canada post does not ship to.
Why ebay making troubles for sellers?

Message 4 of 20
latest reply

tyler@ebay 

Is this being looked into?

-Lotz

Message 5 of 20
latest reply

Hi @lotzofuniquegoodies - I've asked for more detail and will update as I hear back.

Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 6 of 20
latest reply

Hi @lotzofuniquegoodies - heard back on this!

We're not basing the list of excluded countries solely on Canada Post's service - although it does play a big part. 

Ultimately we're being fairly conservative on restoring countries because we want to reduce and minimize the number of INRs that members receive. 

The shipping team is open to unblocking countries that Canada Post has restored some service to and significantly extending the estimated delivery dates for those services. That way you could get those international locations back up and running. However, the trade off is that you'd be looking at adding a service like UPS or FedEx (and the higher costs that come with them) in order to arrive quickly. Or shipping with Canada Post with a greatly increased estimated delivery date.

It's a bit of a rock-and-hard place I think.

Extended delivery times for Canada Post potentially means lower conversion rates as customers see greatly increased international shipping times, or increased prices for shipping as you offer an alternate courier. You also run the risk of increased rates of INRs, which isn't fun for anyone involved (you, your customer, and us). 

Would love your thoughts!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 7 of 20
latest reply

tyler@ebay 

Shouldn't eBay Canada settings mirror Canadapost updates with flexibility as required? End of story?

I'm not sure how it is or isn't affecting my sales pur say. Just know it's been brought up in several other posts (causing sellers to not know if buyers were getting current, accurate results and/or if sellers are losing sales because of these eBay updates. The issues happen when it says on the canadapost website a country is allowed but not allowed based on something at the usps website or vice versa. How is a seller to know what to base anything on? This becomes a game of cat and mouse for sellers also when you don't know how to adjust their own settings to make them compatible with eBay's. This can lead to the worst case scenario.... Orders being stopped in their tracks for bad/inaccurate data entry on the eBay end and no work arounds.

The other concern would be how much tinkering sellers would have to do when things get back to any sort of normal to satisfy a sellers original settings and how will eBay correct also?

As for the buyers, the majority are going off what they see as gospel. Some(buyers) may have unrealistic expectations, others may jump the gun when as per eBay it was "supposed" to arrive today. And then there are the rest with that thing called patience and understand it's just not going to arrive as fast as in a regular world. Not all sellers are able to ship with tracking. Just how it is.  If they did, their sales would plummet. That's where, when buyers have the choice to purchase using economical shipping, sellers should get some leeway when the 1 shipment out of 100 doesn't arrive. (Flipside: If buyers knew by choosing economical shipping there were no guarantees for delivery they might be more willing to choose tracked shipping.)

-Lotz

Message 8 of 20
latest reply

tyler@ebay wrote:

Hi @lotzofuniquegoodies - heard back on this!

We're not basing the list of excluded countries solely on Canada Post's service - although it does play a big part. 

Ultimately we're being fairly conservative on restoring countries because we want to reduce and minimize the number of INRs that members receive. 

The shipping team is open to unblocking countries that Canada Post has restored some service to and significantly extending the estimated delivery dates for those services. That way you could get those international locations back up and running. However, the trade off is that you'd be looking at adding a service like UPS or FedEx (and the higher costs that come with them) in order to arrive quickly. Or shipping with Canada Post with a greatly increased estimated delivery date.

It's a bit of a rock-and-hard place I think.

Extended delivery times for Canada Post potentially means lower conversion rates as customers see greatly increased international shipping times, or increased prices for shipping as you offer an alternate courier. You also run the risk of increased rates of INRs, which isn't fun for anyone involved (you, your customer, and us). 

Would love your thoughts!

My thoughts........

eBay should inform sellers that service disruption exist, eBay might want to provide a list of countries they deem as "problematic" and eBay should suggest to sellers that they adjust their exclusion list (if any).

Forcing exclusions based on, well based on nothing if they don't mirror Canada Posts exclusion list is just silly.

eBay needs to understand that many sellers do not use Canada Post, I don't and I have been shipping to a number of countries on your list without any problems at all. In the meantime there are many countries with severe disruptions that are NOT on the eBay list.

Whoever made the decision to add these exclusions must think that eBay sellers can't think for themselves (true in some cases unfortunately).

Whoever picked the countries to go on the list definitely doesn't have a clue about logistics.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 9 of 20
latest reply

"Whoever picked the countries to go on the list definitely doesn't have a clue about logistics."

x2 on this.

I had ebay call me today so I could try to get this fixed, specifically Israel and Switzerland and they just argued with me saying that there was no way for a seller to find it out and that I was mistaken and had no idea what I was talking about.

Who are these idiots on their end of the phone? Could ebay not find anyone better?

Message 10 of 20
latest reply

I have reported this several times since May and was told that tech support is looking into it. I KNOW I have lost sales to the Philippines and Israel. An Israeli buyer was very frustrated because he couldn't buy items, at the time I didn't realize it was because of the restrictions. I made a separate listing just for him and he still couldn't buy it. Even tried listing it on .com but still have the same restrictions. I use business policies and those should override any exclusions or inclusions that ebay makes. If this was based on delivery issues Australia would be at the top of my list. I have 6 orders from March/April that still haven't been delivered yet. Also, I do not ship to Mexico and had 2 orders come through...sure enough I now have a case that one hasn't arrived yet.  And I noticed some of my listings exclude Mexico so it seems hit and miss.  Ebay please return the shipping exclusions to the way they are supposed to be.

Message 11 of 20
latest reply

@rainbow71113 wrote:

I have reported this several times since May and was told that tech support is looking into it. I KNOW I have lost sales to the Philippines and Israel. .... If this was based on delivery issues Australia would be at the top of my list. ... I do not ship to Mexico and had 2 orders come through...

This not a tech issue, this is a policy issue.

eBay's pandemic exclusion list is in addition to any exclusions you have set up.

If you want Mexico excluded you have to make sure you have that set up.

This week's revised exclusion list:

Brazil, Philippines, Ukraine, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Nigeria, Sri Lanka, Chile, Cameroon, Colombia, Morocco, South Africa, Malaysia, Kuwait, Macedonia, Costa Rica

Canada Post (July 23) has restricted service available for Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica and the Philippines.  No service for the rest of the countries on ebay's pandemic list.

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpc/en/our-company/news-and-media/service-alerts.page

It would be nice if Sellers could opt out of eBay's pandemic list.

-..-

Message 12 of 20
latest reply

I was told there was no exclusion issue which is why I was told they would make a ticket to investigate it, to me that's tech support but could be any department.  I have Mexico excluded but Ebay removed Mexico by overriding my exclusion list so I got 2 orders. 

Message 13 of 20
latest reply

thanks for posting that updated list...I was able to list the item for the buyer in Israel. 

Message 14 of 20
latest reply

This has gotten so bad that you have to go over your list every time you list or relist something. On both of our accounts for the asia section of the exclusion list ebay takes the check marks out of half of the asia countries so we have to redo the asia list every single time as we only ship to 3 locations in the asia section, Isreal, Japan and South Korea.

Message 15 of 20
latest reply

The August 7 Canada Post service update now shows service to 11 countries (up from 4) on the current ebay blocked list:

Brazil, Cameroon, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Kuwait, Macedonia, Malaysia, Morocco, Nigeria, Philippines, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Sri Lanka, South Africa, Ukraine

Green - the usual Canada Post services are available

Orange - partial Canada Post service

The other countries on the ebay blocked list still have no Canada Post service.

-..-

Message 16 of 20
latest reply

Any updates on this?  I don't even use Canada Post and I have countries blocked which I ship to when they purchase from our website instead of eBay.  This is so dumb.

Message 17 of 20
latest reply

ZOMBIE thread from 2020 so info is out of date.

June 2021 ebay excluded countries are: Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Morocco, Kuwait, Macedonia

Canada Post now has some service to all of those countries.

As of June 2021 Canada Post has no service for: North Korea, Laos, Libya, Turkmenistan, Yemen

-..-

Message 18 of 20
latest reply

ZOMBIE THREAD FROM 2020

The problem with zombie threads is that the information in them is often out of date and inaccurate.

Message 19 of 20
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

-----------------------------------------
Help us keep the community friendly and fun for everyone, check out the Guidelines
Message 20 of 20
latest reply