The mechanics of Best Offer: now what? Buyer sent three offers, I countered the first, declined two

I need some assistance around the mechanics of a Best Offer, please.

I'm selling an item, Make an Offer is enabled. On sale right now for $146 plus free domestic shipping (not that it matters) but the buyer sent one offer, I countered with my lowest acceptable price which is $130. Then he sent two more offers which I declined because they were lower than that. I didn't counter those. 

So.... what happens now? 

I am to understand the buyer is still interested, he sent me a terse message which stated so, saying he would pay $130 with free shipping.

Can he still go back and 'accept' the counteroffer I sent him? Or was it immediately overwritten by him sending two more lower offers?

What is supposed to happen here next? I'm not intimately familiar with the mechanics of Best Offer. Not as a buyer nor seller. Is the buyer stuck with paying $146? Am expected as the seller to revise the listing for only his pleasure to purchase? What time period is supposed to lapse before he is allowed to send another offer? Is there etiquette to uphold? 

I'm unclear.

Thanks.

p.s. Prior to this, my last Best Offer was for $10 CAD from a buyer in UK yesterday who was making an offer on something with a sale price of $170. I flat-out declined that one, not bothering to counter at all. People! All my auto-declines were overwritten last week when I changed my handling time to 'close' my store for two days. Changing the handling time does that as a side effect. It's a thing. 

Message 1 of 59
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

The mechanics of Best Offer: now what? Buyer sent three offers, I countered the first, declined two

@mjwl2006 wrote:

... the buyer sent one offer, I countered with my lowest acceptable price which is $130. Then he sent two more offers which I declined because they were lower than that. I didn't counter those. 

I am to understand the buyer is still interested, he sent me a terse message which stated so, saying he would pay $130 with free shipping.

Can he still go back and 'accept' the counteroffer I sent him? Or was it immediately overwritten by him sending two more lower offers?

The potential buyer is limited to 3 offers total.

As I understand it, your first counter-offer gets declined when the potential buyer makes a new offer. You can check your My eBay to see if the offer is still open.

When you declined the potential buyer's third offer (instead of making a counteroffer) that ended the best offer process.

If you want the sale at $130, then drop the price for 48 hours. If not let it be.

-..-

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 59
latest reply
58 REPLIES 58

Or do you think it is unwise to proceed with this buyer who may now be annoyed he's stuck paying more than he initially wanted? There is also that risk.

I don't feel obligated to give this away for less, it is an uncommon item, newly listed, and a bundle with several Watchers on it. Even $130 feel cheap to me even if it does not to him. My counteroffer was more than generous, I think. 

Or do I wait out the automatic-cool-off-period imposed by ebay and go from there instead?

Message 2 of 59
latest reply

Hi MJ, I hate the best offer feature myself.  I have used it a couple of times.   I had it set to auto decline for a minimum amount I would sell for.  I have had several offers that were ridiculously low, in fact one emailed me a nasty note when he felt his offer of $40 on a $275 item was more than fair.   He is now on my BBL.   I did accept one whose offer was reasonable, 10% off.  I could live with that.

Do you send all your items with tracking?  Some buyers I could see purchasing an item for a price they were not happy with and stating that it didn't arrive or was a SNAD and send a different item back.

What is the feeling you get with this buyer?  Do you think he is going to give you some issues that you have to deal with later?  If so, I would reject his offer and put him on your BBL.  If it is a rare item, then you will sell it and I wouldn't haggle back and forth.

Message 3 of 59
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

... the buyer sent one offer, I countered with my lowest acceptable price which is $130. Then he sent two more offers which I declined because they were lower than that. I didn't counter those. 

The potential buyer is limited to 3 offers total.

As I understand it, your first counter-offer gets declined when the potential buyer makes a new offer. You can check your My eBay to see if the offer is still open.

When you declined the potential buyer's third offer (instead of making a counteroffer) that ended the best offer process.

If you want the sale at $130, then drop the price for 48 hours. If not let it be.

-..-

Message 4 of 59
latest reply

Since you declined his other 2 offers, I don't think you will be hearing from him or her again.... Never decline an offer, other buyers will perceive that the seller is difficult to deal with.

You could have made another counter offer or ignored the last offer. It's better to ignore an offer then decline one. When a future buyer looks over your previous offers they will see expired instead of declined.

You also could have countered the offer with your same offer and said, This is as "low" as I'm willing to go....

Communication is key.

Message 5 of 59
latest reply

In addition... You also could have countered the offer with your same offer and said, This is as "low" as I'm willing to go.... Thanks for your interest.

Communication is key....

Message 6 of 59
latest reply

I find the process of haggling to be an insulting experience. The item is priced with free postage and is presently on markdown. If my auto-declines hadn't been wiped clear by changing handling time last week, these lowball offers from this buyer would have been avoided entirely.

If the buyer evaporates now, that's fine with me. My asking price is more than fair and as Christmas approaches I won't have any trouble selling it for $150.

My query was about the mechanics, specifically. But thanks for sharing your strategy.

Message 7 of 59
latest reply

I don't think that ignoring is better than declining. Ignoring leaves them hanging and unsure whether they should move on.  

Message 8 of 59
latest reply

I don't think that ignoring is better than declining. Ignoring leaves them hanging and unsure whether they should move on.  

I think it is... it also works both ways. From my experience if I counter offer a buyer and they don't respond to that offer and let it expire is more of a polite way of declining the offer.

Everyone reacts differently, but declining offers could possibly be offensive to the buyer or seller. 

Message 9 of 59
latest reply

Allowing something to 'expire' is much more insulting than taking the time to decline it. Hands down. Seeing 'expired' to me is a loud and clear statement that 'I couldn't be bothered to reply' and I think it's unpardonable bad manners to the other party.

But, like I've said in other threads, the Best Offer bargain-seeker is not my buyer. I sell quality items, with above-standard customer service, so I feel my prices are justified and I'm not apologizing for that by adding Make an Offer to my listings. Seeing Best Offer on a listing begs haggling and says to me as a buyer that the seller is unsure of their own value. I had nothing listed with Best Offer for years on that principal and since I have come to apply it selectively, I've not found it to be a useful tool. It's a time-waster. Like auctions. Work for no pay-off. My sales performance was better without it and, given another instance of receiving a $10-offer on a $170-item, I'm going to remove it from those of my items where it has been applied.

I sell things people either need, or don't. I'm not here to dance for nickels. That time and effort is better spent elsewhere.
Message 10 of 59
latest reply

I think eventually the buyer can restart the offering process, maybe not till over 30 days later?

I know this because one of my offering $100 for a $1,000 lot offerors ran out of offers (they worked their way up to a whopping $200!) but later on came back and started again at $100. Unfortunately I don't remember how long it was until they came back again.

That's when I realized I hadn't blocked them the first time......which I promptly did....
Message 11 of 59
latest reply

Right, I remember you mentioning that another time when I started a thread about insulting Best Offers. I thought the buyer could start over after 48 hours or so. It's 24 or 48, I thought, with my money on the latter due to it being the duration of time it takes for an offer to time-out without action.
Message 12 of 59
latest reply

Normally this is my practice:

If the offer is stupidly low, like $100 against $1,000   I simply reject it.

If they come back with another stupidly low offer, I respond with what the lowest is that I will go just to get rid of them

If they come back with another stupidly low offer, I block them.

If the offer is in the range of reason I respond with what the lowest is that I will go.

I did have one good buyer many years ago that would not buy anything for the original price. Haggling was part of the process for him to enjoy the purchase event.  He liked to buy $500 - $1,000 items so he was worth paying attention to. I responded by listing items he would be interested in that I expected to get $500 at about $600 so the haggling process brought them down to what I wanted in the first place. Don't know what ever happened to him, haven't heard from him for many years (I do still have "large" items with best offer on them just incase there are others like him out there!) 

Message 13 of 59
latest reply

You make an excellent point and that was where I had selectively added Best Offer to my highest-priced items. Regardless, there is no excuse to offer ten per cent of an asking price as a Best Offer. These lowballers are not the customers that I serve, nor do I aspire to serve them. The auto-decline takes care of most of those except for the annoying by-product of resetting handling time knocking those auto-settings away. I've had to reset them six times already. It's painful.
Message 14 of 59
latest reply

I agree with 'silverpinups' comments.  I've used Best Offer satisfactorily and successfully for many years, but it does take some consideration of the nuances of the process from both seller's and buyer's viewpoint.  

For example, I never decline an offer, no matter how ridiculous, and I never use auto decline, for two reasons.  First, buyers will look at the offer history.  Too many "declines" can signal a difficult, truculent seller, or cause a potential buyer to feel it's useless to make an offer.  

Second, there is an advantage to the 48 hour period during which an unaccepted offer is still alive -- it can be an enticement to other buyers to make an offer, or at least look at an item and perhaps come back and make an offer (or buy at full price) later if it doesn't sell immediately.  Although I must admit I've only twice had active competing offers on items, it can happen, particularly on rare items or those in high demand.  This is one reason why I use Best Offer judiciously, on items where I expect there may be greater interest and where there is enough value to allow for some "wiggle room" in negotiating a price. 

Which brings me to another reason I think Best Offer can work well: some buyers like to have the experience of getting a bargain, and having input into the final price.  I understand that, and am happy to give them the opportunity.  

Yes, buyers can make only 3 offers (I'm not sure what the "refresh" period is for a buyer to make further offers, or even if there is one), but I don't think I've ever let it go that far.  Here's what I do: 

•  Buyer makes a very low offer -- I may decide to let it sit until expiry, or I'll make one counter-offer.  If it sits, not only may it attract other buyers, but it's less likely to turn off the buyer for good (who, given the benefit of the doubt, may just be testing the waters), and less likely to make me look like a permanently irritable stinker with dozens of "declines" to my name.  There is an argument to be made, from the buyer's point of view, that if a seller declines most offers, what the seller really wants is something close to their listed price, so why use Best Offer at all?  

I learned this lesson from my experiences as a buyer.  I once took a chance on a seller with a list of declines and made an offer that was within 10% of the asking price, which was then declined.  I went away rather disgusted that I didn't even get the courtesy of a personal reply or counter-offer.  All it seemed to me this seller was doing was losing sales waiting for the perfect price.  A bird in the hand...

• Buyer makes an offer that is somewhat low, but close enough to warrant a bit of negotiating.  I counter-offer, usually splitting the difference between the buyer's offer and my initial price if the buyer's offer is reasonably close to my desired selling price, or I counter with something just a few dollars above or below my desired selling price. 

• If the low-ball buyer comes back with a much better offer, I'll proceed as usual.  If he makes another low-ball offer, I'd let it expire then block him.  Frankly, this has never occurred in all the years I've used Best Offer. 

In any case, I generally prefer to never let any offer go without response unless it is so low as to seem impossible to negotiate to a reasonable price.  

Part of the key to using Best Offer successfully I think is having a clear idea beforehand on how much you are willing to accept for an item and not allowing yourself to get bogged down in a back-and-forth until the whole potential of the transaction disintegrates, as happened with the one you described.  

Communicating when making your counter-offer is essential (there is a small box -- about 250 characters -- for this when counter-offering).  What I believe is most critical is keeping the buyer interested and engaged, especially if his first offer is anywhere remotely near the "ball park".  You never really know how flexible a buyer may be, and whether he's just thrown out a number in his first offer in the hope it might work.  

Accordingly, usually when I counter I say something along the lines of: "Thanks so much for your offer, but I'm afraid I can't go below $XX for this item.  If you can meet me at that point, it's yours!".  In other words, I'd love to sell this to you, if you can move the needle a bit.  The counter-offer itself will show on the listing in the meantime, which may help to attract other buyers too. You'd be surprised how many times buyers accept my counter-offers, I'd say it's around 90%.   The others just disappear without actually being declined, and that's fine, no harm done, no one is insulted, no one feels abused.  

There's no need to feel insulted by truly low-ball offers.  These are just opportunists, skimming around, hoping they'll get lucky, which they likely sometimes do.  It's the law of random reinforcement.  I tend to look at any bargain-basement, unaccepted, unexpired offers as a good means of attracting other buyers, a kind of free advertising if you like, since eBay will show all offers as pending, regardless of their size or bona fides.  Other buyers have no idea whether the offer may be a decent one, about to be accepted by you.  In other words, even the bottom-skimmers can serve your purposes. 

Message 15 of 59
latest reply

For example, I never decline an offer, no matter how ridiculous, and I never use auto decline, for two reasons.  First, buyers will look at the offer history.  Too many "declines" can signal a difficult, truculent seller, or cause a potential buyer to feel it's useless to make an offer.

I, on the other hand, dearly do hope that 'too many declines' signals that the bargain-basement shoppers can try their luck elsewhere because I'm not willing to pay someone to take my item. This isn't my first trip around the block, I'm not in business to look good, I am here to make a profit while pleasing my customer. And by 'customer', I mean someone who has actually paid for something. Not trying to steal it for nearly-free. 

With all due respect, you and silver sell within a completely different area of ebay than do I. Maybe people who shop for vintage underwear and pictures of people in their vintage underwear are a breed apart from toy collectors. I will always be offended by a Best Offer of $1 CAD on an item marked down to $150 CAD. That person can stuff it, and I don't give a hoot how 'hurt' their feelings may be if that offer is auto-declined. There are manners to this enterprise, manners and etiquette. Do these people walk into a restaurant, order a steak dinner and then say, 'Oh, by the way, I want your steak but I think it's only worth 74 cents.' Those people can stuff it too. I paid for these items, I have money invested in these items, I am going to sell them at profit or wait until I do. I'm not compelled to make friends with cheapskates who have no idea what effort I invest in selling here. If they care about only getting something for nothing, they need not waste my time. 

That's how strongly I feel about it. I'm not here to dance; I'm here to sell.  

Message 16 of 59
latest reply

I don't do a lot of best offer listings but when I do, I usually figure out my bottom price and then set auto decline about 20% below that so that I can counter those offers.  Most low ballers make 2 more offers even when their first one was declined.  If they had been offended by the auto decline I doubt that they would have kept making offers.

i don't think that there is really a right or a wrong way to handle best offer.  We each have to do what we think works best.

Message 17 of 59
latest reply

That's exactly how I have set my auto-declines too. Six times already, I'm working on the seventh now. This situation with this would-be buyer would have been avoided completely had the auto-decline on this item not been wiped clear as side-effect to changing the handling time last week. (It has always been $130.)

His first offer at $115 would have been auto-rejected.

His second offer at $120 would have been auto-rejected.

He then could have decided whether to make a third offer which may or may not have hit the $130-mark where I would be able to manually accept it. If his third offer had been $125 it would have been rejected and I wouldn't be in a  position to care how the mechanics of a Best Offer work. 

If the offer from my would-be customer isn't within a range of that 20 per cent to which you are referring, I don't even want to know about it. It's a waste of my time to deal with a lowball Best Offer because it's anything but 'Best' offer, it's a Poor Offer only to be replaced by an Equally-As-Bad Offer. And while I don't think anyone believes me to be insensitive to the feelings of others (I certainly try very hard to be always fair and polite here) I simply don't care how that cheapskate feels about it. It's as bad manners as the people who send unsolicited messages saying they don't like a seller's prices. It's online bullying. I have no time or patience for it. 

No one can walk into a store, pick up a pair of sneakers and tell the salesclerk that we want them but only if they reduce the cost to only a dime because that is all we're willing to pay. Quit sniffing the shoe glue, it's not going to happen! 

Message 18 of 59
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

I, on the other hand, dearly do hope that 'too many declines' signals that the bargain-basement shoppers can try their luck elsewhere because I'm not willing to pay someone to take my item. This isn't my first trip around the block, I'm not in business to look good, I am here to make a profit while pleasing my customer. And by 'customer', I mean someone who has actually paid for something. Not trying to steal it for nearly-free. 

My main point above was that it's possible to make these ludicrously low offers work to your advantage, while reducing your stress and anger in the process and removing the appearance of too many declined offers.  Take off your auto-decline.  When you get an offer, glance at it, and if it's a bottom-skimmer just let it sit and work for you for 48 hours as a pending offer on the item until it expires.  As I said, it's entirely free advertising.  Then block the person if you really want to, they've served their purpose.    

Since eBay doesn't disclose the offer amount, no one but you and the offeror know what that amount was.  As you know, eBay flags a listing (in red, thank you!) when there's an offer, so it can work to draw attention.

There's nothing like the appearance of a "hot" listing to attract other buyers.  This is precisely the game realtors use -- because it works.  They don't care what the offer is, as long as it remains valid for long enough to attract a better one.  On eBay, there is no way of knowing whether a potential buyer of the kind you really want may be prompted to move because an item they've been watching suddenly has an offer. 

It seems to me you're thinking too much about this as a personal affront, rather than a selling tool to make use of.  Try it for a while, and see if you can't catch some bigger fish with those minnows, to put it in rather crass terms. 

You are probably right that my sort of buyers are less likely to be rolling the best offer dice than yours, but I get my share of laughably low offers.  And I do laugh, because those buyers don't realize they're doing me a bit of a favour: "Thanks for the free 48 hour listing boost".  

Message 19 of 59
latest reply

@ricarmic wrote:

If the offer is stupidly low, like $100 against $1,000   I simply reject it.

If they come back with another stupidly low offer, I respond with what the lowest is that I will go just to get rid of them

If they come back with another stupidly low offer, I block them.

This is similar to what I do too.  I don't use BO often, unless I am curios to see if it will generate more interest or if there is a promo where we list free if we include BO in the listing.  I still get people messaging me with offers, like on an $89 item they say "Will you take $20?" and they're serious.

I don't block on the first lowball.  There seems to be people who "play" it, like a gambling casino thing.  They'll try the $100 on the $1000 item just to see if they "get lucky" where it clicks in and they "win".  Then there are others who really do believe that their $100 on that item is "an opener for negotiation" with no understanding of the concept of at least being realistic.  But once you make that counter-offer, if they still try a lowball, they're just not listening and what's more is  they are never going to buy it.

It is my opinion, based on my experience anyway, that lowballers are NEVER going to buy it.  But I like to give everyone a fair chance and that way I know there is no chance I have hastily blocked a possible sale.   

@ricarmic wrote:

I did have one good buyer many years ago that would not buy anything for the original price. Haggling was part of the process for him to enjoy the purchase event.  He liked to buy $500 - $1,000 items so he was worth paying attention to. I responded by listing items he would be interested in that I expected to get $500 at about $600 so the haggling process brought them down to what I wanted in the first place. Don't know what ever happened to him, haven't heard from him for many years

His wife found out where all the money was going!  LOL!  

Message 20 of 59
latest reply