USPS tracking: 'Return to Sender' then 2 hours later 'Delivered'.....anyone have an explanation?

Sent a package to an APO (army post office) box.  Buyer is stationed in the Pacific Theatre.  After waiting a long time for it to be picked up by the buyer (available for pick up since Feb 11), the scans today said 'Return to Sender' but then a couple of hours later there was a 'Delivered' scan.

Does anyone know what this means?  Is the package coming back to me or was it delivered to the buyer?

• Feb 28, 2022
  • 5:24pm
  • DELIVERED
  • APO, AP 96266
  • Feb 28, 2022
  • 3:00pm
  • RETURN TO SENDER
  • APO, AP 96266
  • Feb 11, 2022
  • 10:45am
  • AVAILABLE FOR PICKUP
  • APO, AP 96266
  • Feb 3, 2022
  • 9:32am
  • PROCESSED THROUGH USPS FACILITY
  • CHICAGO IL INTERNATIONAL DISTRI, 60688
Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

USPS tracking: 'Return to Sender' then 2 hours later 'Delivered'.....anyone have an explanation?

Looks like Post Office held it for 14 days then marked it Return To Sender and then 2.5 hours later it did get picked up.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Personally I think some of the USPS "update" codes get misinterpreted by the CP system and translated into "return to sender".

I have seen "return to sender" many times for packages that were delivered, in different situations, whilst it was on the way usually.

This is why I try very very very much NOT to watch packages going to the USA (or anywhere actually) because of misleading updates, especially the ones in the USA.

It is very possible that it was just a timing thing....but I  never trust return to sender updates....

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

thanks for the responses.  I'm not familiar with how APO addresses work.  I figured that USPS delivers it to the US Army and they deliver it from there to areas abroad, around the world, where the troops are stationed.

So i was surprised to see that it was being held for pick up by the USPS.   And i  thought USPS just held packages for 5 days before sending them back to the sender, not 14?

At any rate, i have a delivery scan and so far have not heard anything from the buyer (touch wood), so i'll wait and see what happens.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

byto253
Community Member

I have never seen  "Delivered" in the tracking to be incorrect.  The in between steps can be odd.   In this case it looks like the recipient waited until the last second to go pick up his stuff. 

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

@fergua3 wrote:

thanks for the responses.  I'm not familiar with how APO addresses work.  I figured that USPS delivers it to the US Army and they deliver it from there to areas abroad, around the world, where the troops are stationed.

So i was surprised to see that it was being held for pick up by the USPS.   And i  thought USPS just held packages for 5 days before sending them back to the sender, not 14?

At any rate, i have a delivery scan and so far have not heard anything from the buyer (touch wood), so i'll wait and see what happens.

I agree that a Hold For Pickup on an APO address is quite odd but who knows what can happen during Covid, even though it's seemingly on the decline it can still be causing disruptions with whomever is actually handling the APO mail once it gets handed over.

In any event, you got your delivery scan so it's all good. Just hope the actual receipient receives it and if not that they put the blame on the APO system rather than on you.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 6 of 7
latest reply

For the record, it is my understanding that if the shipment really was not picked up, but was being returned to you, it would be considered Undeliverable.

And eBay does not require the seller to refund for an Undeliverable shipment, even after it has been returned.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply