We want to hear from you—Canada Post labour disruptions

Hi all,

With Canada Post rotating strikes continuing for the third week with no indication of a resolution between Canada Post and CUPW, the eBay Canada team are looking to hear from Canadian sellers about the impact of the strikes on their business.

Feedback and examples from our seller community helps us to better advocate for you. If you're comfortable with sharing your experience, we want to hear from you, whether you've felt an impact from the postal labour disruptions or not.

Some members of my team (someone other than myself or Tyler) may reach out to you via PM for more information after you post in this thread. We look forward to hearing your stories!

Message 1 of 252
latest reply
251 REPLIES 251

Re: We want to hear from you—Canada Post labour disruptions

@forester_studios wrote:
Yes I agree. European rates seem to be much more reasonable then here. Canada post is getting worse every year. Their prices are getting to a point where mail order in Canada will be nothing but a memory.

They also eliminated light packet and small packet ground options which were both cheaper. As well they eliminated insurance which was included with small packet until a few years ago. Now you have to buy tracked just to get coverage at ridiculous prices. Couriers are no option with their sky high rates. Canada needs to allow smaller private regional companies to compete against CP.

On youtube I watch some of the ebay sellers channels. The British ebayers have a lot of channels talking about their online selling. The prices and choices they have to ship items is amazing compared to Canada. Canadians really get a lousy deal when shipping.

I agree with you that the elimination of Light Packet was a huge blow for small sellers, but that wasn't purely Canada Post's doing; I believe it was mandated by the International Postal Union. 

Still, we have to remember that Canada Post has one of the largest geographical areas in the world to serve, with many, many far-flung little towns and villages with a small population.  It simply isn't comparable to anything in European countries, with their smaller land area and denser populations.  Density means economy of scale; distance means extra cost. 

It's a tough combination here in Canada, and honestly I'd have few grievances about the postal costs here if they could just keep the system working.  There is now a shadow 3rd party (small business) at the negotiating table that apparently CUPW is disinclined to take into account.  

Message 201 of 252
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

@momcqueen wrote:
ypdc_dennis said in an earlier post on another thread (I think) that the legislation itself was not deemed unconstitutional but that dictating the wages was the part that crossed the line. If I understand that correctly.

I don't know how ypdc_dennis got to that conclusion, but it's incorrect.  Perhaps he was remembering that the Corporation's dictating wages was what caused the impasse that led to back-to-work legislation.

Here is Justice Firestone's summary of the legislation in question: 

"The Act is back-to-work legislation. Its key provisions mandated the resumption and continuation of mail delivery services, and imposed a final offer selection process of arbitration (FOS) for resolving the dispute between Canada Post and CUPW. It also contained an enforcement mechanism; non-compliance with its provisions would constitute a summary conviction offence punishable by fines accruing daily."

I got that impression because the Harper government dictated wages in the back-to-work that were lower than Canada Post's "final" June 2011 offer.

Message 202 of 252
latest reply

I'm really saddened and disappointed by the number of Canadians who are strongly anti-union, and are placing the full blame of the current Canada Post mess on the union.

Despite the fact that sales have been slower this fall, and that items are taking a long time, I place little-to-no blame on the employees. Almost all of it sits firmly in the lap of the executives at Canada Post. 

They have been taking advantage of the massive profits from their huge increase in parcel delivery, and doing very little to support their staff or increase options for their services. 

Firstly, "back to work" legislation has been found to be unconstitutional in Canada. It was challenged at the Supreme Court and the government lost the case. They did it again this time, because they know it will take time to process through the courts (until after the holidays).

Secondly,  one of the largest issues is the forced overtime, and some routes are so overburdened that they can’t finish them in 8 hours and then get fired for needing to do overtime because they had 250 parcels to deliver a day on top of lettermail.

The injuries are skyrocketting because of a new tie out system Canada Post implemented that reduces your ability to see as you’re holding multiple bundles at a time, and expected to sort as you walk.  This on top of parcels which in the past weren’t much of a thing. You can’t just put a bunch in your satchel either because they’re huge and heavy often.

The ‘forced’ overtime part is that if you refuse the overtime they assign you get written up.

They also want equal pay because if you were hired after 2013 you can never even make the starting wage of someone hired before then, and on top of that you don’t get raises as a temp but it can take up to 7 years to move from being a temp and you don’t qualify for benefits or anything and have to be available everyday but don’t know when you’ll work.

So as Canadians, are we supposed to just let a corporation just walk all over its employees, or are we going to be better than that?

Message 203 of 252
latest reply

Let me edit your last sentence.....

So as Canadian online sellers on eBay, are we supposed to let a postal union just walk all over online sellers that use Canada Post. 

It is this use of Canada Post by online sellers that pays the salary of workers at Canada Post. 

Message 204 of 252
latest reply

it isn't just eBay sellers that are paying the price for this continuing postal disruption...it is any Canadian online business that utilizes Canada Post as the shipper... this also affects any company or business in Canada that has gone to online selling in addition to their retail B & M outlets...If they utilize Canada Post for shipping, they are affected.  I ordered items a week ago from a well-known online retailer where shipping comes out of Ontario....tracking shows that order is still stuck in Ontario. Normally shipments from this retailer arrive within a week, to my location in SK.

Message 205 of 252
latest reply

Any sympathies I may have had for any part of Canada Post and/or its union, were lost a long time ago. I get very little mail delivered aside of parcels, so having a 2 or 3 days/per week for delivery is fine for me. The whole Canada Post system needs an overall. The present concept of Canada Post needs to go.

As an online seller, if I had a choice to utilize a cheaper more efficient shipper than Canada Post, I would do so.

Message 206 of 252
latest reply

What many choose not to recognize is that everything is tied together.

The Government of Canada dictates through the Canada Post  Corporation Act what Canada Post must do.

Online sellers make the sale, and pay Canada Post to deliver the parcel to the buyer.

Canada Post takes this money and pays the workers,  the members of the postal Union to deliver the parcel.

----------------------------

Postal workers get injured... delivery ... carrying large and heavy pouches for many kilometres, sometimes 20 km, and sometimes maybe even farther.... door-to-door delivery

Canada Post  wanted all mail delivered to community mailboxes.  The Government said "No".

Mail delivery twice a week to the community mailbox .....  the Corporation Act says "No".

The question of injuries can be  addressed... but there has to be a major adjustment... no more door-to-door delivery of mail.

Online sales will continue to rise each year....  Parcels will continue to be more of a major part of Canada Post's focus.

There should be no selective argument....  The focus most be on all groups involved.....

(1) The Government of Canada

(2) Online sellers.... and online buyers

(3) Canada Post

(4) The workers, the  Postal Union, those who receive the parcel and then deliver the parcel.  Parcels can be light weight...  lettermail... and then larger and much larger.

Canada Post must be allowed to make major changes,  and only then will things be better for the workers... 

and more importantly .....  there should ... never ... ever ... never ... be another strike.

This last reality must be understood by all groups involved....

Read this last sentence... over, and over, and over again.

and then .... remember that all four groups that were listed are a part of this one.... big... BIG... problem.

Message 207 of 252
latest reply

don't know what to say, i have mailed 3 packages expedited  to the States, on nov, 26, all 3 are still sitting, here in London, just saying accepted at postal counter, then on the nov 27, i mailed 2 packages to the States, same shipping service, and they are both all ready across the border,??

They are all mailed at the same postal outlet. and yet the ones i mailed most recently are already in the USA, and the ones from the day earlier, are still sitting in the city i mailed them from..  How is this any kind of system to count on..

Ebay better be willing to push estimates in to the new year for delivery, because there is no way for us as sellers, to be even sure how or when packages will be processed..

Message 208 of 252
latest reply

I think the CP updates are questionable.

I had one that was mailed on Nov 9 that showed no updates for some time of any kind. Today all the sudden there are a bunch of updates, terminating on Nov 27 with it being delivered. So that got updated over the last day (there was nothing yesterday).

I'm thinking that they're only running the updates sporadically or incompletely for at least some stuff.

A clue seems to be if the updates are missing the "Delivery may be delayed due to labour disruption" at midnight each day, it hasn't been updated.....

I've a couple so far that show no updates of any kind (nor the labour disruption) for a couple days or longer then all the sudden the updates catch up.......

Makes one wonder if they're intentionally holding back on updates to increase anxiety.

Message 209 of 252
latest reply

I think it’s more likely due to systems being overwhelmed. Canada Post’s website is a bit, er, flakey at the best of times.
Message 210 of 252
latest reply

Also, I’m absolutely experiencing delays with delivery that I didn’t see prior to The Big Delay Warning. I’ve always watched tracking compulsively and obsessively and I concur with what they’re saying. Stuff is late. There are delays in the places they said to expect them. If I had more time or if anyone is truly interested, I can post examples to validate my assertions.
Message 211 of 252
latest reply

If and when we plan to  address the effect of this strike.... We must start at the top ...... The Government of Canada.

It is the Government  that has control over both Canada Post and the Postal Union

We see this effect of the Government  because ... 

-----  Canada Post is a Crown Corporation

----- The Postal Union was ordered back to work

Message 212 of 252
latest reply

@momcqueen wrote:
I think it’s more likely due to systems being overwhelmed. Canada Post’s website is a bit, er, flakey at the best of times.

Yep I agree, I was maybe getting a little to much conspiracy theoried there for a bit!

It would be interesting to know how the system receives/processes updates because the anomalies I've seen have been interesting.

The most notable one had 7 updates between November 21 and November 27 (delivery day) that only showed up on December 2. Before that the Nov 20th update was the last one, so it went 12 days with no updates showing up, despite the actual progress as it got there.

Message 213 of 252
latest reply

According to someone who works at the nearest processing center there is a lot of tomfoolery going on with tracking updates at the moment. Newly mailed items are being processed before the backlog since there is so much backed up in trailers. So much for the magical Marxist who claimed this would all be cleared up at the drop of a hat. 

Message 214 of 252
latest reply

Marxism and free enterprise are like oil and water. Marxism wants the state government to control all. Anyone know a government you want to completely control your life?
Message 215 of 252
latest reply

I've started getting the "where's my package" emails.... so I've adjusted one of my form letters for the untracked stuff which is about 80% of my shipments.

Feel free to use what is of use if you like....

The postal strikes have had an unpredictable enduring impact on shipments, generally stuff has been going only a little bit slower than normal, but I am having the odd shipment like yours that seems to be taking much longer. You are ultimately covered if they do not ever show up, but I think there is a very good chance they will still arrive, just later than we both would like!

If it gets to the point that you think it has been long enough, please just send me another message and I will refund your money out of my own funds. Assuming they do arrive after that, let me know and I will send another invoice so you can pay for them again (small parcels like this are not insured so I am out 100% if they do not arrive). I would really appreciate it if you don't mind waiting another week or two before we decide the package is lost and I refund your money but I will be ok whenever you decide.

Message 216 of 252
latest reply

What I’m seeing at present is this:

Delays growing longer for both inbound and outbound shipments using Canada Post. All delayed by a day or two but those hitting Richmond or Mississauga are averaging a week or more in limbo.

I’m not worried as much about the ones going out from Winnipeg (outbound eBay sales) as much as I am the ones coming to me (inbound personal gifts).

I would also like to note the courier Fedex is delivering late, as is UPS and is Dynamex. The former two are about a day later than promised; the latter is two to three days late on average and has flat-out lost at least one parcel completely.

There are far-reaching effects, it seems to me, as the big online retailers overwhelm couriers in order to avoid using Canada Post with its unprecedented delays.

Message 217 of 252
latest reply

Lately, I've been seeing lack of update scans eBay tracking with more up to date tracking at the Canadapost website. Not sure if it is random, temporary or location driven. Usually, the scans match between the 2 systems.

-CM

Message 218 of 252
latest reply

I am expecting the "where is my item" emails to begin arriving any day, the postal system seems in a real mess at this time.

Example 1  - CP Expedited originating from the northeastern fringe of the Greater Toronto Area to London, Ontario. Shipment has been in tramsit 9 full days and it's still sitting in Missisauga.

This parcel has sat in Missisauga for 8 full days berfore it was processed, still no hint as to when it might actually hop a truck and make it's way to the buyer's address in London Ont.

Example 2 --- Tracked Packet USA parcel that should have been well on it's way to Texas by now .... but for some inexplicable reason the tracking shows the shipment has made a round trip from Missauga to Winnipeg and back again to Missisauga. This oddysey has eaten up five days already and the shipmet still hasn't found it's way on to a plane for Chicago.

Apparently CP  cannot settle on a port of entry for this Texas bound parcel. SOP would be processed in Missauga and on a plane to Chicago within 2 days but not happening here. Instead it's took the scenic route to Winniprg and then was turned around back to Missisauga. Hoping this one can find it's way out of Canada sometime this coming week.

I'm hoping the Lettermail sytem is more reliable as I have a handful of those out there trying to reach domestic destinations.

The way things are shaping up I doubt I'll list any valuable inventory until sometime in the new year.

Message 219 of 252
latest reply

@kawartha-ephemera wrote:

... I'm hoping the Lettermail sytem is more reliable as I have a handful of those out there trying to reach domestic destinations.

Two purchases mailed to me (same day):

Alberta to Ontario: 5 business days

BC to Ontario: still waiting, now on day 10

Message 220 of 252
latest reply