We want to hear from you—Canada Post labour disruptions

Hi all,

With Canada Post rotating strikes continuing for the third week with no indication of a resolution between Canada Post and CUPW, the eBay Canada team are looking to hear from Canadian sellers about the impact of the strikes on their business.

Feedback and examples from our seller community helps us to better advocate for you. If you're comfortable with sharing your experience, we want to hear from you, whether you've felt an impact from the postal labour disruptions or not.

Some members of my team (someone other than myself or Tyler) may reach out to you via PM for more information after you post in this thread. We look forward to hearing your stories!

Message 1 of 252
latest reply
251 REPLIES 251

Re: We want to hear from you—Canada Post labour disruptions

Generally mine are just taking a day or two longer, however the odd one is really affected.

Here's an example. This is a box going from SW Ontario to Toronto which is a 2 hour drive to the east, and expedited stuff normally goes to London then Mississagua... for some reason this box went out to Momc's land and is now on its way back again I guess......

(Fortunately I'm lucky this is a box to my Son who's living in toronto.... so no INR on this one!)

2018/12/10         11:52     WINNIPEG, MB Item departed                  

2018/12/10         08:18     WINNIPEG, MB Item processed                

2018/12/06         00:01     Canada Delivery may be delayed due to labour disruption                            

2018/12/05         00:01     Canada Delivery may be delayed due to labour disruption                            

2018/12/04         00:01     Canada Delivery may be delayed due to labour disruption                            

2018/12/03         00:01     Canada Delivery may be delayed due to labour disruption                            

2018/12/02         00:01     Canada Delivery may be delayed due to labour disruption                            

2018/12/01         00:01     Canada Delivery may be delayed due to labour disruption                            

2018/11/30         00:01     Canada Delivery may be delayed due to labour disruption                            

2018/11/29         00:01     Canada Delivery may be delayed due to labour disruption                            

2018/11/29         12:14     SHEDDEN, ON    Item accepted at the Post Office

Message 221 of 252
latest reply

Unfortunately, currently, we have a delivery system in place where it is nearly impossible to predict delivery times. Maybe this is what The Beatles meant when they sang, "It can't get much worse." Hopefully, it doesn't!!! This package is now at 7 days Calgary to Burnaby by Expedited.  Should not be necessary to factor in weekends because mail should be doing some moving along its way.

-CM

2018/12/10 10:21 Burnaby, BC Item processed     

2018/12/10 01:33 RICHMOND,BC Item processed    

2018/12/09 00:01 Canada Delivery may be delayed due to labour disruption    

2018/12/08 00:01 Canada Delivery may be delayed due to labour disruption    

2018/12/07 00:01 Canada Delivery may be delayed due to labour disruption    

2018/12/06 00:01 Canada Delivery may be delayed due to labour disruption    

2018/12/05 00:01 Canada Delivery may be delayed due to labour disruption    

2018/12/04 00:01 Canada Delivery may be delayed due to labour disruption    

2018/12/03 21:51 CALGARY,AB Item processed    

2018/12/03 00:01 Canada Delivery may be delayed due to labour disruption    

2018/12/03 15:54 CALGARY,AB Shipment received at originating postal facility      2018/12/03     Electronic information submitted by shipper

Message 222 of 252
latest reply

My outgoing parcels from Winnipeg are being delivered on-time or a day late but I have incoming international ones stuck at Richmond for between one to two weeks. As with domestic in Mississauga. But there seems no rhyme nor reason to it that I understand. Some get through with only minor delays.

I got something to a buyer in Calgary delivered today and mailed Friday.

It seems that Canada Post was pretty accurate on where the problem spots would be found as a result of the backlog.
Message 223 of 252
latest reply

And still my courier deliveries (incoming) are at least one day late nine times of ten.
Message 224 of 252
latest reply

try to figure this one, i have 2 packages with the same info displayed.. 14 days and no movement, i have opened service tickets on both of them..

It's on the way to the buyer.
Accepted
Mon Nov 26
estimated delivery
Tue Dec 11
Tracking details
CPC tracking #LM107118483CA
  • Nov 26, 2018
  • 12:18pm
  • Item accepted at the Post Office
  • LONDON, ON
  • Nov 26, 2018
  • 10:39am PST
  • Tracking number provided
Message 225 of 252
latest reply

Why not have a communist system where everyone is equal. (LOL). As a senior who has worked for 57 years in senior positions , I do not have the type of insurance that a junior is getting at CP. Do you also know that a construction worker get paid less that a postal worker with less pensions and with a more hazardous work environment.
I would fire the whole bunch and do away with all Unions and let the economy decide what someone is worth. Lets cut down delivery in certain areas of 3 times weekly and I am sure that I could make other money saving changes if given a chance.
Message 226 of 252
latest reply

I still have huge delays on mine. It seems anything in the Mississauga plant or en route gets delayed.

We had our mailman delivering packages on Sunday, for which he said he is getting overtime, which seems to show that many staffers are taking OT despite CUPW not wanting them too, partly because they probably need the money at this point.

Most of my incoming shipments are delayed by a week thus far with estimated delivery by the 19th of the month.
Message 227 of 252
latest reply

alpaak
Community Member

Shipped an item in a legal size letter type of envelope on October 28th and going a whopping distance of 124 km. (77 mi.).  The buyer contacted me today asking for a refund because the hockey card hadn' t arrived yet.  Now, it's got me wondering whether or not there's going to be more of the same.  Not much choice other than giving the money back.

So, it looks like I' ll be taking a sojourn from selling through ebay.  Were I to specify tracked/insured shipping for all of my items which are about 95% below $50, sales would be nil because of the extra cost to the buyer.

Message 228 of 252
latest reply

My store was put on vacation on September 17.  My first thought was to end the vacation on December 1.   Now my date for ending the vacation is January 1, 2019.

After hearing about all of the problems with Canada Post, this change looks to be a correct option.  Sending 40 to 50 parcels in the mail each month could have been a nightmare so far.....  Looking forward to some information that would make me feel good about using Canada Post.

Lots of new listings have been added to the store on eBay.  Keeps me busy.

As each day passes, and there is more information about Canada Post....  I ask myself many questions....

Why do I have to deal with this?  This first week in December, has been a difficult 7 days,

Will I survive  even after  my store is no longer on vacation?

Can I make my new buyers happy?  and then... Should I continue to sell online?   

Do I really need  this level of frustration?....  This postal strike has become a monster of a mess.

Right now it a day-by-day situation.  My final decision to continue to sell on eBay will occur after Christmas, and on January 1. 2019.

Message 229 of 252
latest reply

I see that Canada Post's official posted notice (at my PO anyway) has diverted to blaming large volumes of packages for the delivery problems, so I've adjusted my notes in my communication with buyers, here's the latest wording.... feel free to use what works for you.....

Thank you for your purchase and quick payment.  Your parcel has been shipped out today, Monday XXXXXXX.  Please note that the earlier Canada Post rotating strikes and large numbers of packages entering the mail stream may result in continuing delivery delays. I very much appreciate your extra patience regarding any delays impacting arrival time. Once the parcel arrives, I hope you will find everything satisfactory.  If you are not completely pleased with this transaction, please contact me via email.  I will do my very best to resolve any problem you may have.  Regards, RICARMIC (Ron)

Message 230 of 252
latest reply

I forgot to add another risk mitigation strategy I'm employing until delivery times stabilize is as much as possible I am shipping within one business day.

Traditionally I ship within two business days (normally Mon/Wed/Friday), and I will return to that when I am able.
Message 231 of 252
latest reply

On another note, a regional courier company who delivered one parcel to me at 9 am yesterday claimed to not be able to find my house to deliver the other three parcels at 9 pm. Now, those three parcels are lost in limbo and some are out-of-stock so I can’t even get replacements. Frustrations abound. If I had outgoing orders, I wouldn’t have time to worry about the incoming ones.
Message 232 of 252
latest reply

I once saw or was told that the secret to being able to run a successful business was the ability to constantly deal with solving problems.....

It seems we've had lots of practice in that department this year!!!

Message 233 of 252
latest reply

Hit or miss for me, but shipping out West seems to be much faster. I even had a tracked packet get delivered from SK to Los Angeles in only 3 business days which never even happens before the strike started. 

Message 234 of 252
latest reply

I have had steady sales since the strike began & ended. Almost all the sales have been for Canada & the US.  For my peace of mind & for my customers, I have shipped every package with insurance & tracking.  It may have cost me a few dollars more than untracked but every parcel has made it to it's destination within 1-2 weeks. 

Message 235 of 252
latest reply

My sales were almost dead for most of the rotating strike action, anything sent in Canada arrived faster than normal. Sales picked up as soon as they ended, again everything sent in Canada arrived rather quickly. The one to the US, just ended it's second week in the mail(untracked), I am hoping it does arrive soon as the buyer did ask after only one week as to where it was.

I know a couple of sellers who just shut down for December, because of the many hassles that happen this time of year. Most of us can't do that, so we have to just suck it up, and continue to stay open.

Good luck! 

Message 236 of 252
latest reply

My store was put on vacation on September 17.

The plan was to end the vacation on December 1....  that was until   the backlog of parcel was indicated by Canada Post. It was then my choice not to ship 40 to 50 parcels over December, and not know they could travel without any problems.  The mailing of parcels during the Christmas season  in addition to the backlog, was also a consideration. 

The store will be taken off vacation on January 1.  The indication is that major problems encountered by Canada Post will be adjusted by January 1.  That is for delivery within Canada, and to the US.....

Message 237 of 252
latest reply

On a normal year, I’d still be selling like gangbusters mid-December to my fellow Canadians. This year? Crickets. Virtually no one wants to risk not getting the toy they need by Dec 25. It places me in an uncomfortable positions because I use those mid-December sales to fund my own seasonal expenses and purchases, and right now, I’m skating on very thin ice indeed.

Things looked promising after back-to-work legislation was passed but fizzled once word was hammered home how bad postal delays may be amid continuing protests and postal disruptions.

I hope 2019 is kinder to eBay sellers, online sellers and small business owners in Canada. We deserve better than this, I think.
Message 238 of 252
latest reply

We deserve better than this ..... I know.....

Message 239 of 252
latest reply

Sales have been steady throughout the entire strike and after the back to work legislation, but not like they normally would be for this time of year.  I actually had very little issue with items arriving ( I did move all my listings to having tracked postal service).  I had 1 package the was very delayed and that customer wasn't pleased, but once the item finally arrived she was so happy with the product she forgot about the delay (and she appreciated the constant communication I had with her through the process).  As a poster mention above - problem solving instead of complaining  is your best business move during difficulty.

That said my biggest issue was all the sever NEGATIVE Media attention and dramatics around the strike- that is what reduced my sales this season - not the actual SERVICE.  I had more then a few cancellations from my US customers who after purchasing heard through the media about the strike (even though not 1 of my US parcels was late during the entire situation).  A few Canadian cancellations as well when they saw I used CanadaPost .  All my family and friends didn't shop online this year for gifts for the most part because they said they were scared off by all the reports, but admitted they had no real clue if it was as bad as the media was reporting. Most saying they wouldn't return to buying online till the end of January since the media reported that's when the backlog maybe fixed...ugh.   Anyway - it is what it is - I'm appreciative of the sales I did have and  that I didn't have shut down complete and lose all income for the 4Q.

Here's hoping to great things in 2019.

Message 240 of 252
latest reply