What does Carrier Scan mean in Dashboard?

kashka
Community Member

So I am at my seller dashboard for the first time in a long time and I see "Uploaded on time but no carrier scan 5(quantity) 83.33%" and the bar graph above shows me 16.67% on  the above standard. Most my packages are Small Packet Air to the USA and I just enter the teeny tiny little number under the bar code on the label for tracking.So is this ok...or should I be concerned?

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: What does Carrier Scan mean in Dashboard?

Yes, it’s fine. Don’t worry about it. Canadian sellers don’t need the validation of a carrier scan to make Top Rated in that market.
Message 2 of 12
latest reply

@momcqueenwrote:
Yes, it’s fine. Don’t worry about it. Canadian sellers don’t need the validation of a carrier scan to make Top Rated in that market.

Thanks,momcqueen...it's not like I am in hurry to make top rated seller or whatever it's called now..lol...just here for a couple/three months to make some cash for a vacation to London with my niece.Halfway there now so just was hoping it wasn't something detrimental to my being able to sell..Thanks again!

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

There is no point in entering that number at all as it isn’t a tracking number.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Because our American cousins feel so strongly about tracking (which is cheap for them but expensive everywhere else) having any number may give them the warm fuzzies about their purchase actually having been mailed.

Although the whole point of tracking is a Seller Protection against unwarranted claims of non-delivery.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Small Packet bar codes are not available as a carrier scan -- Canada Post deliberately hides any scans (treating them as non-tracked, internal use only), so eBay has no access to them.

Once upon a time the originate scans when a Small Packet was dropped off were viewable on the Canada Post website. So it's not as if Canada Post can't give eBay the data -- they just don't want to.

-..-

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

@femmefan1946wrote:

Because our American cousins feel so strongly about tracking (which is cheap for them but expensive everywhere else) having any number may give them the warm fuzzies about their purchase actually having been mailed.

Although the whole point of tracking is a Seller Protection against unwarranted claims of non-delivery.

Yes....as I do understand there is no tracking as do my customers,that is the exact reason I do it..the "warm fuzzies" factor..:)..And depending on the value of the item and the journey involved (international) ,I may insure the item for loss or  breakage with a third party insurance. 🙂

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

How does it give customers the warm fuzzies by providing a number that will not lead anywhere?

I'm not sure how you relate uploading that number for insurance purposes either but if it all works that for you, that's great. 🙂

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Well..in my case..all my customers know their service is not tracked but I think maybe psychologically gives them a sense that the seller took the time to keep track(no pun intended) of any available information.A filled in field looks better than a blank one..As for insurance purposes,if I insure the package,the number plus the stamp I get from the postal clerks helps if there is an issue...maybe it does..maybe it doesn't..but it can't hurt to have different kinds of proof of shipping if such an incident arises. 🙂

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

That non-trackable tracking number on Small Packets is quoted when Customs agents are preparing import fees so it is useful to buyers.
Message 10 of 12
latest reply

@momcqueenwrote:
That non-trackable tracking number on Small Packets is quoted when Customs agents are preparing import fees so it is useful to buyers.

Good to know! 🙂

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

@pjcdn2005wrote:

How does it give customers the warm fuzzies by providing a number that will not lead anywhere?

Because most people will never bother checking the number (if they do, most will wait until they think the shipment is late before doing so).  It's simple psychology.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply