Why is it that when you list something right away it shows views?

Why is it that when you list something, right away it shows views?  Sometimes it is 1, sometimes 2.   It is just confusing, wish there was a way to zero them out, so I would know how many actual views there was.  Used to use Vendio, but don't want a third party involved now.

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Sometimes it is 1, sometimes it is 2, sometimes it is 3, and yes sometimes it is 0.

Yes it is annoying.

I suspect it has to do with members (competitors maybe) having a search saved for something in the listing title.

That may be a great question to ask on Wednesday afternoon during the Board Hour with eBay.ca staffers.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Hi Pierre, since I won't be around on Wednesday, could I ask you to bring that forward during Board Hour?

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

I'll try to remember.  However, I am old... I often forget... When is Wednesday? Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Much appreciated.  I have always wondered about why the views are right away.  I have had someone buy something from me within 10 minutes of listing it.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

I too will be interested to know the answer to this as well!

(PS my personal "world record" BIN is just under 3 minutes from listing time for some popular China stamps)
Message 6 of 13
latest reply

Thanks Pierre, I see that you bought it up on Wed's talk.  She said she would check into it.  I know that it is not my views that it is counting.  I will be interested to find out what she comes up with. 

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

"...what she comes up with. "

Based on years of experience dealing with eBay.ca staffers in Toronto.... she will not come back with an answer, unfortunately. Too often these Board Hours are offering "lip service".

Same question may be asked from week to week and the answer will be "great question... we will let you know"

Take the case of the new anti-spam legislation, passed into law several months ago, coming into effect in Canada on July 1st.  Twice I asked what eBay will do to protect Canadian sellers with an eBay store using their mailing list to communicate with buyers.  The answers will vary from "I am not a lawyer"  to "it is a complicated thing".

One would expect better from eBay for the fees we pay.

In the meantime, I will keep asking questions....

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

"Too often these Board Hours are offering "lip service".

One would expect better from eBay for the fees we pay." 

I have to say that you've expressed my feelings exactly, especially after this latest Wed. session. 

I'm aghast at how eBay seems to be dragging its heels with regard to the anti-spam legislation.  They don't even appear to have a timeline in place for implementing steps, not to mention an actual plan.  Like you, our household has already been receiving emails and phone calls from other companies, asking for our permission.

You would think that after the recent cyber attack fiasco, eBay would be on its toes where anything to do with customer privacy and personal information was concerned.  In addition, as you rightly pointed out, this issue directly affects sellers -- I'm afraid to send out any promotional emails to my subscription customers at the moment. 

Honestly, I was expecting this Wed. that they would at least reply: "We have a plan already in place that will be underway within "X" days, but can't discuss the details in advance".  Fine - at least we'd know they are acting on this.  How can they still be "studying" the legislation more than 2 weeks in?  Are they waiting for the train wreck before taking any steps?  It's a real head-shaker, this one...

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

Personally, I think my question took them by surprise last week.  The staff in Toronto seemed to be totally unaware of the legislation and the Head Office in San Jose would not spend a second to learn about a new Canadian law, let alone come up with a workable solution for its sellers.

Yesterday alone, i received twelve requests for permission to maintain my name of email mailing lists.  Some were pretty good, attaching an offer for discount on purchases if I agree before July 1st.

So Canadian businesses are aware of the new law.  However, as we all know, eBay is not a Canadian business, despite their Toronto office.

I will continue to send weekly messages to hundreds of eBay members on my eBay store mailing list.  If someone complains (and I secretly wish someone does) the complainant will be referred to eBay.ca country manager in Toronto.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

I'll try to remember.  However, I am old... I often forget... When is Wednesday? Smiley Happy

Wednesday is in October this year.

Photobucket
Message 11 of 13
latest reply

Is that before or after the Jays win the World Series?

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Oh! I'm sorry, I left out the correct millennium.
Photobucket
Message 13 of 13
latest reply