Will be still be able to use Paypal when Managed payments start?

This really is getting too complicated for me, I am not sure I can still keep selling on eBay. I don't want to sell on .ca, I tried that a few years ago and the .com sales in US dollars was much better. I don't have a US bank account and I don't know that I want to get another bank account.

I really hope we can still use Paypal for shipping labels and that we don't get pushed into using Shippo. However, I don't see how that will work.

Is changing to MP just a money maker for eBay?

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

You can keep selling on ebay.COM in US$

US$ bank account not required. The sales will be converted to Canadian $ before being deposited to your Canadian bank account.

Shipping: PayPal will be left out. 

Either Shippo or the coming-soon eBay shipping option or Canada Post direct.

Of course eBay is making money with MP,  they are diverting the fees that paypal now takes into the ebay income stream.

-..-

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

You can keep selling on ebay.COM in US$

US$ bank account not required. The sales will be converted to Canadian $ before being deposited to your Canadian bank account.

Shipping: PayPal will be left out. 

Either Shippo or the coming-soon eBay shipping option or Canada Post direct.

Of course eBay is making money with MP,  they are diverting the fees that paypal now takes into the ebay income stream.

-..-

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

I was afraid of that, I have always used Paypal and find it smooth and easy to use.

At the moment I keep my US dollars in Paypal until the exchange rate is good, I guess we will lose on that also.

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

USD sales will be converted to Canadian currency prior to being deposited in your CDN bank account.  The currency exchange will probably occur at the time of sale.

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

so Paypal will be gone as an option to pay my invoice??

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

WHO deposits the money?

If it is me- okay, I can move it when the exchange rate is good as @triber has been doing.

If it is done by eBay on some schedule, I'd be less happy.

But seriously, eBay seems to have forgotten that a very large percentage of their non-US sellers will be selling on dotCOM in US dollars.

Not allowing non-US plus US banks doesn't put money in their pockets, but having non-US sellers does.

I wonder how our Chinese colleagues are handling this?

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

I'm with you femmefan, it seems as if it will be deposited in our bank when the buyer makes the payment. I don't like that at all, we should have the choice, it IS our money after all, and we should be able to get the best exchange rate.

Why do things that are running well  need to keep being changed? I think that ultimately a lot of small sellers will be lost because of it, and that will be a loss from the top down.

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

according to .COM shipping FAQs:

How will I pay for my shipping labels when eBay manages my payments?

You may choose to pay for shipping labels by having the costs deducted from pending payouts, in addition to using a PayPal account.

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

"I wonder how our Chinese colleagues are handling this?"

China will not be participating in Managed Payments. 

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

"I was afraid of that, I have always used Paypal and find it smooth and easy to use."

You will still be able to use PayPal for shipping. You will just need to have funds in your account to pay for shipping labels. 

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

@silverpinups wrote:

"I wonder how our Chinese colleagues are handling this?"

China will not be participating in Managed Payments. 

Chinese sellers list on .com for the most part so they will be in Managed Payments just like everyone else.

ANYONE from ANYWHERE who lists on .com, .de, .au & .ca (with more to come) will be in Managed Payments when it is mandatory for all sellers.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 11 of 17
latest reply

So the current system of receiving money in my Paypal after selling an item and using that money to buy and print a shipping label was not a good enough system for Ebay to keep it around so then I'd have to transfer funds from my bank account to Paypal to print the labels?   Things work just fine as they are now, why complicate things???

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

@peterkat2020 wrote:

So the current system of receiving money in my Paypal after selling an item and using that money to buy and print a shipping label was not a good enough system for Ebay to keep it around ... Things work just fine as they are now, why complicate things???

Because greedy shareholders forced eBay to sell off Paypal 5 years ago.  This is eBay's way of reclaiming fees that were lost when PayPal went independent.

Managed Payments is for ebay's benefit, sellers are just a secondary consideration.

-..-

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

@esclyons wrote:

so Paypal will be gone as an option to pay my invoice??

Hi @esclyons - you'll still be able to use the payment method of your choice to pay your monthly invoice. 

However, if the Canadian program is similar to the US program then you can expect billing to change somewhat. Final Value Fees would be netted from your total before payout, meaning that your monthly invoice amount would be for things not associated with a listing itself (e.g, store subscription charges). 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 14 of 17
latest reply

tyler@ebay wrote:

... if the Canadian program is similar to the US program then you can expect billing to change somewhat. Final Value Fees would be netted from your total before payout, meaning that your monthly invoice amount would be for things not associated with a listing itself (e.g, store subscription charges). 

Nit picking: More along the line of things not associated directly with a sale.

Insertion fees (over a seller's limit) and any insertion upgrades would also be monthly.

-..-

Message 15 of 17
latest reply

With Covid overwhelming the news, impacting everything in it's wake many may have forgotten all about the Spring Update.

There was a Canada Post shipping label feature announced with that update which I assume is intended to compliment the advent of Managed Payments in Canada . When and/or if this new functionality launches PayPal will become mostly unnecessary as far as ebay is concerned. Sure buyers will still be able to use it for purchases but it's usefulness will be much diminished for sellers. I don't like it, nevertheless this will soon be the reality.

https://pages.ebay.ca/seller-centre/news/seller-updates/2020-spring/ship.html#m17-1-tb1
Message 16 of 17
latest reply

You may not want to use PayPal much longer. I've been buying and selling on ebay and using PayPal for roughly 18-19 years with same credit card, banking account, address, etc. never had a problem. Then a couple months ago PayPal won't let me use or access my account and funds in my account unless I verify who I am by sending a government issued photo ID. I mean really- after 19 years. Personally I've had enough of this sh-t . Won't let me close my account or anything so far but have sent me my final notice so I don't know if they're going to close it on me and send me my money where they've always sent it or whether their going to say they couldn't verify it so they are going to keep it for themselves.  And I haven't sold or bought anything for a few months.

Message 17 of 17
latest reply