You could lose your Top Rated Seller status if you don't meet this requirement

Hi

I sell exclusively on Ebay.com., and just got above message from Ebay. Anyone is able to explain to me, why we need to have 100 international sales to maintain the TRS status? And why Germany and United Kingdom, and many other countries (where I ship most of my international shipments to) are NOT considered to be "international"? To make it even more complicated - Canada counts as an "international" (of course). It doesn't make any sense to me ......

Andrew

Message 1 of 30
latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

marnotom!
Community Member

I think you'd be better off posting this to the .com discussion boards.  Be brave.  The subject of international shipping from the US is pretty contentious.  There are quite a few sellers on .com who don't want to sell to international buyers, not just ship internationally.

Over what time period are these 100 sales supposed to occur, anyway?  And how is this exemption for Germany and the United Kingdom stated?

Message 2 of 30
latest reply

byto253
Community Member

Sounds like they want to push more US based folks into the GSP.  

Message 3 of 30
latest reply

I don't know how different it is on .com (I only sell on .ca) but here where you go to Seller Dashboard it shows you status two ways - one is "Global" and the other is "US". As far as I know (or at least thought) "Global" covers Canada and everywhere else except the US. The US stands alone for some reason.

These numbers are for the past 12 months so they are updated monthly. I have TRS in both but my US shows me the ! You could lose your Top Rate Status also showing me the reason (in my case) is I have 117 sales to US (I guess they think this is cutting it close?) Seems silly to not have "international" or as the CA site calls it "Global" not cover everywhere. I'd be curious the answer to this also!

Message 4 of 30
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:

Over what time period are these 100 sales supposed to occur, anyway?  And how is this exemption for Germany and the United Kingdom stated?

One year. "Global" is all except of the countries mentioned in other sections. I now have 118 sales, will fall to 105. Maybe it changes with the coming Prexmas period...

Image2.jpg

Message 5 of 30
latest reply

@byto253 wrote:

Using GSP would not change this. An sale is consodered "international" when your buyer is outside of the above mentioned countries - no matter how you ship the item. 

Message 6 of 30
latest reply

I have not been a TRS seller for many years now and could care less about that"program" that really is a farce...I also no longer sell on .COM and have returned to .CA only...For many buyers/sellers on.COM, the heavy push for buy USA/Sell USA has become the new political stance on.COM as more and more USA sellers clamp down on not selling outside of the USA, ...there has always been a heavy presence of sellers who would not ship to Canada ...Personally I see the TRS system as rather useless these days- it's been broken for several years now and is so one sided not worth the effort,not worth jumping through all those hoops...TRS is rather meaningless unless a seller is large volume and/or has an eBay store where there may be a few incentives...otherwise why bother? why add that unnecessary stress to your online selling? Are the benefits really worth all that?

Message 7 of 30
latest reply

With TRS status on dotCOM, the TRS badge shows on your dotCOM listings, including those listed on dotCA with shipping to the USA.

With Global TRS, which has slightly lower benchmarks the most important being Tracking, the badge does not show on your dotCOM listings.

Both programs have a few minor perks, so minor I forget what they are.

Message 8 of 30
latest reply

I get a 10% discount because of TRS, so it has that benefit.

Message 9 of 30
latest reply

Yes, of course.   I am linking more in GSP with more selling internationally.   GSP is an attractive option for folks who are luke warm about selling internationally.  

Message 10 of 30
latest reply

@38e_avenue wrote:

@byto253 wrote:

Using GSP would not change this. An sale is consodered "international" when your buyer is outside of the above mentioned countries - no matter how you ship the item. 

I think @byto253's point was more along the lines that this requirement is to encourage more international sales from US sellers who would be unwilling to ship internationally otherwise.

While the GSP is one way to accomplish this, it does appear that it's being phased out and being replaced by another forwarding scheme that is more "returns-friendly" and allows buyers the option of paying import charges on receipt of the item rather than at the time of payment.   I'm fuzzy on the details but I'm somewhat off-topic anyway.

Message 11 of 30
latest reply

@byto253 wrote:

Yes, of course.   I am linking more in GSP with more selling internationally.   GSP is an attractive option for folks who are luke warm about selling internationally.  

You are definitely right! I misunderstood! Sorry! 😔  

Message 12 of 30
latest reply

No sorry required, so Canadian 😎   My point was rather vague! 

Message 13 of 30
latest reply

@38e_avenue
When it comes to calculating a seller's TRS status ebay subdivides the World into 4 Regions.

Region 1. USA
Region 2. UK and Ireland
Region 3. Germany, Austria, Switzerland
Region 4. Global (includes all countries excepting those included within Regions 1, 2 and 3)

To qualify as a Global TRS seller a minimum of 100 sales totalling $1,000 per rolling 12 month period to any country not listed in Regions 1 thru 3 is required. Examples of Global Region countries would be Canada, Mexico, France, Netherlands, Spain, Italy, Denmark, Australia, New Zealand, anywhere in Asia, S. America, Caribbean etc.

Canadian sellers with Global TRS status qualify for a 10% fvf discount on sales made on both DOTcom and DOTca.
So, if you list on DOTcom in $USD and enjoy Global TRS status the fvf discount will be applied. Same is true for DOTca sales.

Just to complicate the situation I will point out it is possible to hold TRS status in multiple Regions simultaneously, this doesn't double or treble the fvf discount though. Until earlier this year I held TRS in both USA and Global.

Message 14 of 30
latest reply

So it seems I will loose the TRS in Global, because I sold less than 100 to all these strange countries (I negotiate since a few days a sale to Azerbaijan, but it doesn't go well 😄

And if I loose in Global, will I still get the discount for items sold in the US? (my TRS status in the US is not at risk)?  I am not sure, but I think we have to be TRS in Global, to get any other TRS...? 

I don't get orders from Canada - CP Free Tuesday - I used all 4 US packages, and no one to Canada ... 😪  

Message 15 of 30
latest reply

The Universe did listen!!!! I just sold 3 items to Belgium - a country included in Global! 😉

BTW, Switzerland is also partially speaking German, like Belgium! And Switzerland is not included in Global!  Ebay's logic 😃

Message 16 of 30
latest reply

It doesn't make sense to you because it makes no sense and it's a very discriminatory policy.

The country your buyers live in shouldn't reflect on your Seller status. It discriminates not just buyers who sell outside their regions (even though eBay promotes International selling) it also discriminates against the people who buy from you by excluding those happy customers from  being part of your online brand. 

Unfortunatly not enough sellers who are affected complain so thank you for being one of us.

IT

Message 17 of 30
latest reply

I thought GSP was being phased out and replaced with the new International program which is different.

Message 18 of 30
latest reply

@intimewithmusic wrote:

I thought GSP was being phased out and replaced with the new International program which is different.

Isn’t that what I said? Or are you agreeing with me? 😄

Message 19 of 30
latest reply

@38e_avenueasked.
Will I still get the discount if US TRS status is maintained after I've lost Global TRS ?

No. Sellers registered with Canadian addresses are NOT eligible for the discount based solely on either of DOTcom TRS or TRS+.

US resident sellers ARE eligible based on DOTcom TRS+, for Americans TRS is not sufficient, they must have TRS+ status which means 95% of sales must have tracking uploaded.

Simply put, as a Canadian reistered seller you need Global TRS status to qualify for the fvf discount. If you have that it doesn't matter which site(s) you list on. As a small sweetener Global TRS does not require that tracking be uploaded, we can but it's not required to get the discount.

Message 20 of 30
latest reply