anyone had to deal with internation return labels?

I am at my end with Ebay and this stupid return shipping labels. (international)

I have a return where Ebay sent be the request and says to print a label to my USA customer. GREAT! How do I do that. Doesnt seem to be away in Canada.

Then I get another message ( which I can not respond to),

Your eBay Money Back Guarantee case

We allow 5 days for you and the buyer to agree on how to return the item. It's important to work together because, once the buyer returns the item, you’ll be required to cover the cost, whatever method is used. You can contact the buyer by clicking on their username in the Sold section of My eBay.

If no resolution has been reached by 5/31/15 we'll close the return in the buyer's favour, even if they haven’t returned the item.

There are a number of options for return shipping:

• Provide the buyer with a link to prepaid return shipping label (recommended). If you are not part of eBay’s Hassle-free Returns, you’ll find advice on the websites of all the major carriers on how to do this. (cant find a link anywhere)
  • Use PayPal’s Send Money option.
  • Issue a full refund without a return in the Resolution Center. Doing this will close the case immediately.

I explained to my customer that I cant do it , so please find out what postage is and send me a money request. The customer refuses because Ebay has told him that I must print him a label. What a farce this is. Another what could be a nice scam. How does Ebay at this time know what is taking place?

If Ebay says we need to print a shipping label then let us print a shipping label. Easy, no?

Anyone who has gone through this or has the answer, I would love to hear from you.

Message 1 of 46
latest reply
45 REPLIES 45

I told you this in your other thread but I'll repeat it here and add some info.

There is no way for you to print a return label on ebay or paypal if the buyer is in another country.

It looks like you 'may' be able to set up a label from the U.S. to Canada on the USPS site but you have to set up an account first. Then you would probably have to send it via email on a pdf file.  To be honest, it looks like a pain.

I would just tell the buyer that customer service said that you can't do a USPS label from Canada.  I would specify though that they send the item back with first class international delcon and to print the label online. If they go to the post office to get it, the package will not have delivery confirmation. You could probably figure out the rate yourself and then just send them the money if you are comfortable doing that.

Message 2 of 46
latest reply

You cannot buy US postage in Canada.

Photobucket
Message 3 of 46
latest reply

Message 4 of 46
latest reply

I appreciate your response and I don't disagree with you. You are most likely right. I would love to hear from some one who has had to go this as well. Why does Ebay continue to respond telling us and the buyer that the seller will send them a shipping label if it cant be done?. Is this some kind of defect on Ebays part.

Something that needs to fixed. Instead of being threaten that in 5 days if the issue is not resolve they will find in favor with the buyer and they will refund the buyer even if the item was returned or not. They dont even allow you a place to respond. I guess I have to phone Ebay to deal with something I shouldnt have to waist my time with.

To your response to the buyer. The buyer has refuse all my requests to send money to cover the return shipping. Unfortunately as some devoted Ebay follower, in the Ebay bible it is written  chapter 28/ verse 12 " thou shall print return shipping label"

Message 5 of 46
latest reply

Because Americans don't believe there is any other country besides the USA.

They can't understand that other people don't want to be Americans.

They are unable to contemplate that there might be other currencies.

Message 6 of 46
latest reply

@mr.elmwood wrote:

You cannot buy US postage in Canada.

That's not true. People who cross the border to ship their items often print their own USPS labels here.

As far as I can tell, you can't buy U.S. postage on ebay or paypal if you have a Canadian account. That's different than not being able to buy it anywhere in Canada.

Message 7 of 46
latest reply

Well, technically....

Canadians can buy US postage on eBay.

As in stamps.

I've sold mint US postage lots myself, although I don't think I have any up right now.

We can't put those parcels into a Canada Post mailbox nor can we get a Confirmation of Delivery number for them.

But the stamps are available at a discount from USPS prices too.

Message 8 of 46
latest reply

No you cannot, I created sn account, still can't, called USPS, waited on hold over 1 hour, only to be told I can't do it with a US IP address or physical address
Message 9 of 46
latest reply

It sounds like you are adding a step when you ask the buyer to send you a money request.

Instead, you could send the buyer the necessary funds and explain how to buy a label on line.

eBay's solution is to use courier labels which apparently can be bought from other countries.

That leads to all sorts of other issues like brokerage fees.

(Be careful on how much you get eBay involved.)

If you send funds and the buyer opts not to return then you can always just view that as a partial refund.

Message 10 of 46
latest reply

@toadandsin wrote:
No you cannot, I created sn account, still can't, called USPS, waited on hold over 1 hour, only to be told I can't do it with a US IP address or physical address

Dunno why you resurrected this old thread but if you are in Canada and want to purchase US Postage for any reason, the easiest way to do it is to sign up for a "Stamps.com" account and you can purchase and print all the US postage that your heart desires.

Then you just need to get your package across the border to a US post office.

Cheers,

thD

Message 11 of 46
latest reply

You're right.  That thread is from May.

It sounds like you found a solution with stamps.com.

Next time I have a return request I might try that.

Thanks for the tip.

Message 12 of 46
latest reply

@sylviebee wrote:

You're right.  That thread is from May.

It sounds like you found a solution with stamps.com.

Next time I have a return request I might try that.

Thanks for the tip.

YW and there was no slight intended about opening up the old thread. It was actually the other commenter I meant that for as well as I thought it was them that had re-opened the thread.

Stamps.com has just stupid prices for US postage. i wish we had something like that for Canada, it really would be the answer to my prayers!

Cheers,

thD

Message 13 of 46
latest reply

International Buyers are learning that if the open a INAD case on Ebay, that sellers are going to be hosed with the wonderful Ebay courier procedure in place. They learned if it is a cheaper item, sellers will just refund with no return.

Ther is a horroe story on one of the boards that Ebay sent a courier label and when the seller got the rturn back he had to pay a $65.00 fee to the courier company.

Ebay has never done anything to fix this mess and many sellers are refusing to sell internationally as a result.

Message 14 of 46
latest reply

Tried that, stamps.com will not work without a US address or US IP address. If you have had success, let me know. Also the package is lready across the boarder, I'm trying to get a return.
Message 15 of 46
latest reply

@toadandsin wrote:
Tried that, stamps.com will not work without a US address or US IP address. If you have had success, let me know. Also the package is lready across the boarder, I'm trying to get a return.

No idea what your problem was but I had a stamps.com account up until a little while ago and it worked just fine. I lost access to getting the packages across the border so gave up the account but I used it numerous times with no issue. I've also spoken to their support on the telephone and they have no issue with Canadian users whatsoever.

Cheers,

thD

Message 16 of 46
latest reply

I just tried registering for stamps.com but got stuck right away as they require a US address.

I could make one up for the purpose of registration because it will never be used.

Is the process then just to buy a label, print it, and email  a copy to the person in the States who will use it for a return?

Message 17 of 46
latest reply

So wait, let me get this straight:

Buyer opens return request. Then decides for whatever reason not to return the item, lets the case close on its own and eBay make the decision.

Buyer gets refunded without having to return item, even if seller is willing to cooperate with the return?

Whaaaaa?

Message 18 of 46
latest reply

@sequinsnvelvet wrote:

So wait, let me get this straight:

Buyer opens return request. Then decides for whatever reason not to return the item, lets the case close on its own and eBay make the decision.

Buyer gets refunded without having to return item, even if seller is willing to cooperate with the return?

Whaaaaa?

No, I think you have this turned around.  There are timelines and steps that apply to buyers under the MBG in order to get a full refund.   

From the MBG (Money Back Guarantee), under buyer timelines: "If you don’t escalate the request to us, it will close automatically after 30 days. (We’ll send you reminders so you don’t forget.)"

As long as the seller is co-operating in the process, if the buyer doesn't follow through with the steps required of him or her (i.e. by showing that the item has been returned), then the buyer doesn't automatically get a refund.  

However, if the seller balks, or can't follow through with their end of the MBG, then the buyer can escalate the case (ask eBay to step in) after 3 days and eBay will make a determination within 48 hours.  Only then will the buyer be refunded if eBay decides in their favour.  If the buyer never escalates the request, the case closes in 30 days without a refund.  That part of the MBG at least seems fair.  If a buyer isn't willing to take the necessary steps to get their money back within the time limited for doing so, why should they be refunded? 

I suppose it is possible that even if a seller was in the right (especially in an INAD case where buyer and seller disagree over the condition of an item for example), eBay could conceivably decide in the buyer's favour, forcing a refund.  But that would have to happen after the buyer escalated the matter during the MBG timeline, not after the case had closed. 

Here's the link to the full MBG details.  It's well worth it for sellers to be familiar with this, even if they never plan to buy anything on eBay.  Keep in mind that I believe the Hassle Free Returns programme (which applies in the U.S. but not -- yet -- in Canada) does get "layered" on top of the MBG, creating confusion for a U.S. buyer who may be dealing with a Canadian seller (who is not subject to HFR). 

http://pages.ebay.ca/ebay-money-back-guarantee/how-to-help.html

Message 19 of 46
latest reply

You may also have been thinking of the situation set out below in italics (from the MBG policy details page, here: http://pages.ebay.ca/help/policies/money-back-guarantee.html). 

Again, I think this is fair for the most part.  If a seller doesn't take steps to arrange for a return of the item as required (i.e. by either sending a label or the money for return shipping), then he/she should expect eBay to take over the process.  

Although I understand the OP's frustration with being unable to get and send a shipping label, I think if I had a non-responsive buyer, I would have simply sent the funds through Paypal to the buyer for the return shipping, along with a message (through eBay messages) confirming how the item is to be returned, in order to avoid the consequences. 

"When an item isn't returned to the seller

In some instances, we may not require that an item be returned to the seller. In these situations, we refund the buyer and  may seek reimbursement from the seller, for example if:

• The seller chooses not to accept a return request or provide a return shipping label.

• The item location was misrepresented.

• It's hazardous to ship back the item.

• The item no longer has a value (for instance, a ticket for a cancelled event).

Alternatively, with the buyer's consent, we may give a partial refund to cover differences between how the item was described in the listing and the actual item the buyer received. When given a partial refund, the buyer isn't asked to return the item to the seller. We may require the seller to reimburse us for the partial refund."

Message 20 of 46
latest reply