canadian seller listing on ebay.com only is this good

I have a question for sellers selling  ONLY in US dollars  on ebay.com ? I have listing mostly listed on Ebay.com and  and slowly removing does on ebay.ca . I noticed of course loosing my powerseller  status on Ebay.ca . (now above standard). But It seems I am powerseller on dot com . I am thinking of removing all listing Ebay Canada. And having all listing in US dollars this will make it easier for buyers when checking out  and have same currency).  I wanted to make sure before I do so if this is good decision. (Will I loose items in searches or other ?) .

Your feedback is apreciated .

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

As a Canadian buyer, I will not order from a Canadian seller that wants me to pay in US$ and charge me "international" shipping in US$. There were good reasons why eBay Canada imposed CAD$ on eBay.ca listings. Refresh your memory:

https://pages.ebay.ca/sellerinformation/news/springupdate2015/list-in-cad.html
Message 2 of 19
latest reply

If potential buyers were watching your CA items, you will loose them. If you have multi-quantity items, you will also loose any sale history.

But of course, the bigger advantage is that buyers will be able to purchase multiple items in only one order instead of 2.

You need to see if you have enough multiple currency orders to warrant this change.

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

@andremontevilla wrote:
As a Canadian buyer, I will not order from a Canadian seller that wants me to pay in US$ and charge me "international" shipping in US$. There were good reasons why eBay Canada imposed CAD$ on eBay.ca listings. Refresh your memory:

https://pages.ebay.ca/sellerinformation/news/springupdate2015/list-in-cad.html

That's certainly your choice.  But  'international' shipping is only a term. When listing on .com, a Canadian would set up a flat rate for Canada and a flat rate for the US based on what it will actually cost..it has nothing to do with the term that is being used. Just as an fyi...shipping to the US is often less expensive than shipping within Canada.

As far as ebay imposing Canadian currency on .ca, that was for their own purposes and for simplicity. Any changes that they make are always skewed as being 'better' but that doesn't mean that it is better for sellers.  Some sellers think that US buyers are less willing to make a purchase in another currency and since there are 10 times the amount of people in the US, they choose to list in $US.  It's their choice just like it is your choice of who to buy from.

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

One reason I am avoiding Managed Payments (which does not have any effect on buyers, btw) is that that payment processor only allows one bank account, that bank account has to be at a Canadian bank, and for practical reasons in Canadian dollars.

More than half my customers are in the USA and buying from listings in US dollars on the dotCOM site. With Paypal I can move those US dollars to my American bank in North Carolina without a currency exchange fee.

If you are seeing listings in US dollars only, you are looking at the dotCOM site.

The dotCA site (here) shows prices in loonies, and if the original listing was in another currency (USD, euros, yuan) in that currency as well but smaller and italic.

While sellers are supposed to give the location of the product, many instead give their own, startling buyers who receive a parcel from China or the USA or Argentina.

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

My wife and I did most of our selling on eBay during its "Bronze Age" in the early 00's.  At that time, there was no eBay.ca, so Canadians who wanted to sell on eBay had to do so on the .com site in US dollars anyway.  Maybe you remember those times as you registered on eBay in 2001.  Payment options were more flexible then, however, and buyers could negotiate paying a Canadian seller in Canadian dollars by an agreed upon payment method, which included paper.

It's actually not just US buyers who appreciate seeing listings and paying in American dollars, by the way.  Like it or not, the US dollar is the closest thing we have to a "universal" currency right now.  Most non-Americans have a rough to a good idea what the American dollar is worth compared to their home currency.

I remember a German buyer my wife and I had during our peak selling period.  eBay did not post "approximate" converted amounts on listings back then.  Our German buyer somehow managed to procure four Canadian five-dollar bills to pay for a purchase totalling about US$20 in the days when the Canadian dollar was worth about 68 cents US.  She thought that because both Canada's currency and America's currency was the "dollar," the only difference between the two was that our bills were an assortment of colours rather than the same shade of green.

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

During the time the Canadian Dollar was .68 cents   I was collecting Atlantic City Postcards (Still not sure why  just really liked them) and had a great collection of them.  Most of the harder to find cards and expensive ones I obtained came from the U.S.  and while paying more I was thrilled to find them.  Some of these cards were quite popular at the time  and bidding was intense.  *chuckle used to get some from the U.S. write me that were bidding against me asking why as a Canadian was I buying these and bringing the final prices up.  Easy answer I wanted them  and still felt they were  a fair price.  Some were not pleased with me  and let me know it.  I Never did but always was tempted to write those and ask what was wrong with them? I as a Canadian was paying .68 cents more on the dollar and felt comfortable about it

As a seller I used to have people pay me by cash. Did not encourage it but many did.  If I owed them change I would keep US Bills and change handy and include it with the item.  At times did not have any U.S. money handy so sent them Canadian Currency with the exchange  factored in. One guy wrote me thanking me for doing so. He bought a item and  I sent him the balance owed in Canadian with it. Told me it thrilled his young  daughter to no end   She had never seen Canadian Funny Money before

weavers

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

See, a seller can rationalize all they want and it can make sense to them, but essentially they are gaming eBay. As a Canadian buyer, it makes no sense for me to pay in US$ for a product that is sold and shipped to me from Canada. You can argue it until you are blue in the face, and might I add without any supporting data, but pandering to American buyers by supposedly fooling them by pricing in US$ when they clearly see the country of origin anyway, is just wishful thinking.

Fullscreen capture 2021-02-13 44211 PM.jpg

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

I’m still not following your line of thinking.

If that item in the screenshot was selling for C$95 and had a shipping rate of C$35, you’d consider buying it, but because the price is in US$ you wouldn’t?

(Why is this screenshot from the .com site and not the .ca site, anyway?)
Message 9 of 19
latest reply

As I said "...pandering to American buyers by supposedly fooling them by pricing in US$ when they (the US buyers on ebay.com) can clearly see the country of origin..." 

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

You can rationalize that all you want but it doesn’t make sense to me or probably anybody else.

I think it’s reasonable to surmise that the typical American eBay buyer has no understanding of Canadian currency. Even buyers located outside of Canada and the US have trouble wrapping their heads around a dollar that’s not American.

You say these sellers are pandering, I say they’re offering a convenience along the lines of Canuck brick and mortar retailers accepting American cash at the tills. They don’t have to do this, but they’ve found it makes good business sense to do so.
Message 11 of 19
latest reply

When we had a shop in a tourist area (Sparks St Mall, one block south of the Parliamentary Block in Ottawa) we had a sign posted giving the day's exchange for US dollars which was provided by  the Ottawa Tourist Board.

We had a handwritten sign with the current exchange for euros, but I don't recall anyone ever using that.

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

@andremontevilla wrote:

As I said "...pandering to American buyers by supposedly fooling them by pricing in US$ when they (the US buyers on ebay.com) can clearly see the country of origin..." 

Who said that they were trying to fool US buyers? As you said, the item location is on the listing so the point of listing on .com is not to 'pretend' that the item is in the US.  The point is so that they can buy an item in their own currency.  Many Americans tend to be more comfortable paying in $US and since the US has 10 times the population that Canada does, some sellers feel that they will make more sales if they list on the .com site.

Unfortunately, that does mean that unless a Canadian buyer has $US in their Paypal account, they will have to pay a currency conversion fee but as I mentioned earlier, it's possible that if asked, the seller might be willing to list that item on .ca at the current exchange rate so that you can purchase it in Canadian dollars.  

I really do understand your frustration but you have to realize that we all have different points of  view and the sellers here are simply trying to explain their point of view just like you have explained yours.  There is no right or wrong here, we all have a choice on how to list or who to buy from.  

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

I have somewhat an even number of items on .COM and .CA (4000 items total).

I list on the site where it is most likely to sell (so that folks are paying in their native currency), or because of high shipping costs to the US.

Generally the US$ stuff sells to folks in the USA, but sometimes they're buying stuff from both.

Often I'm having Canadians purchasing stuff from both sites within the same purchase, that of course requires two bills to pay.

So far I haven't had any folks from the US complaining (about $C items), I have had a few Canadians complaining (about US$ items), but I suspect this will diminish over time because there are more items are moving to .CA as a result of the relative shipping costs aspect.

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

I remember when I first selling on eBay (1999) people would send me cheques before I would ship - and vice versa. Seems so crazy now!

Message 15 of 19
latest reply

About 2% of my sales are to buyers in Canada.  Why would I waste my time listing on .ca for such a trivial market?

All of my items are listed on .com with "free" shipping to the USA and Canada

Message 16 of 19
latest reply

elorias
Community Member

and  and slowly removing does on ebay.ca 

What does that mean? You can't even use proper grammar. Ask a brighter person to write for you. Just remove every canadian listing and shut up.

Message 17 of 19
latest reply

You replied to a ZOMBIE thread from last February.

Message 18 of 19
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

-----------------------------------------
Help us keep the community friendly and fun for everyone, check out the Guidelines
Message 19 of 19
latest reply