eBay Canada / eBay.com Managed Payments will kill sales and purchases

Let me explain why.

I sell sports cards on eBay.com in USD. The USD funds are deposited in my PayPal account. I then buy more sports cards on eBay.com in USD with my USD PayPal currency from eBay.com sales. I’ve done this for 20 years. Why not Canada? Has about 99% less to offer for cards, the market isn’t anywhere near the size to offer anything similar.

Now, with eBay Canada managed payments I will be:

1. Forced to convert from USD to CAD at their conversion rates plus a 3% conversion fee.

2. Pay a .4 % eBay.com seller fee.

If I want to buy on eBay.com with the funds I just got from my sale, I am forced to:

1. Wait until the CAD is deposited to my account - likely 4 days.

2. Convert back from CAD to USD - once again dealing with a terrible conversion and 3% garbage exchange fee.

Questions:

1. Why would a sane person ever do this
2. How can I continue my collection while being charged upwards of 20% more now
3. Why didn’t eBay Canada or EBay US think about this
4. Why are they rolling this out without a solution for Canadian Sellers and Buyers.

Now, before you say “they are working” on allowing Canadian Sellers on eBay.com to deposit USD funds to a USD Canadian Bank account, you are wrong. They are only looking into that if you have a *****US****** PayPal account (which 99.9% of Canadians don’t have / you have a Canadian PayPal account).

I can’t stress enough how this will drive collectors - sellers and buyers - to alternative platforms so they can accept USD to purchase in USD. Already, half my sales are going to Twitter and now increasing.

eBay, if you can’t figure out a work around, our 20 + year relationship will be severely diminished.

Message 1 of 37
latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

Re: eBay Canada / eBay.com Managed Payments will kill sales and purchases

@ricarmic wrote:

Yes I remember this too:

"Those were the days. I had stacks of US Postal money orders (the green ones, not international ones) that I'd have to bring in to the post office in Michigan to get cashed. My credit union would only take the pink ones :)"

No matter how many times in how many places you told people "Don't send the green ones" they came anyway!

Every change has its ups and downs.....I'm not looking forward to when I have to MP migrate but as with many others here, I've survived others, some worse than this (on other sites especially). 

I remember that, I used to have to send them back and wait for the pink ones. Also getting checks which could take ages to clear.  In those days we could take a long time to ship!!

Message 21 of 37
latest reply

We had a sneaky way of cashing those pink'uns.

DH would buy them from me, then include them with his USD cheques when he made bank deposits.
The MOs would get lost in the shuffle and he luckily never had any trouble.

Message 22 of 37
latest reply

Ohhhh, we're reminiscing about the early days???

The Paypal debit card had 1.5% cashback, basically made using its USD in Canada a wash with forex fees.

Had my 2002 era Paypal debit card stolen and remember being miffed that they didn't have a toll-free number. And they put me on hold.

I remember doing all I could to minimize Paypal. I offered discounted shipping for non-Paypal payments. 

I also sold a lot of low-value items and accepted cash and sometimes cheques if your feedback was good enough. Once had someone mail me EUR which I exchanged in Kuba. 

Either these forums, or Paypal themselves, prided themselves in the early days with their 1.9% fraud rate. But that was *fraud*losses*against*Paypal*, not your risk of being defrauded by Papyal. Seller losing to buyer or vice versa wasn't a Paypal problem. Their fraud losses was massive.  1.9% fraud rate meant that 2/3rds of your 2.9% fee was paying their fraud losses and they only had <1% of that left. 

Anyone remember Bidpay? Was a good system: buyers could buy a money order online and bidpay would email you to let you know the money order is on its way and you could send the item. But lots of fake Bidpay emails where no money order was coming. A lot easier when Ebay let you use your email address as your screen-name, and communicate directly by email. 

I had a US-based bank account that would let me mail down money orders and they'd deposit them for me. Never lost one. 

I sold a lot of items for 1 cent with $9 S&H....

Message 23 of 37
latest reply

I sold a lot of items for 1 cent with $9 S&H....

WE FOUND THE VEGAN!

Message 24 of 37
latest reply

Yes I get the Managed Payments and the way its disbursed. I found with paypal I let it go for a month or 2 until there was enough funds in there and then retrieved it. Also had access to US funds if purchasing something.

With MP I went with the 7 days at first but after realizing that there's nothing that could be done with those funds, might as well get it into my bank account every day. What good is it sitting ebay if you cannot even purchase your labels from that fund. And cannot use to funds to purchase anything on ebay. They cut that off.

Purchases still goes through paypal though. How long will it be before we get nailed with a fee from paypal. They usually charge the seller a fee. Well the seller no longer pays a fee, they are no longer hooked up to paypal. So that leaves them with the buyer using their site. Its just a matter of time. Lets hope ebay figures out a way to iron out those kinks soon.
Message 25 of 37
latest reply

I hope you're right. Right now its annoying as hell.
Message 26 of 37
latest reply

@luv4orphans wrote:

Purchases still goes through paypal though. How long will it be before we get nailed with a fee from paypal. They usually charge the seller a fee. Well the seller no longer pays a fee, they are no longer hooked up to paypal. So that leaves them with the buyer using their site. Its just a matter of time. Lets hope ebay figures out a way to iron out those kinks soon.

I would think that eBay (or Adyen) has negotiated some sort of deal with PayPal so ensure that PayPal gets some sort of kickback for the payment.  Don't forget, Managed Payments also accepts Google Pay and Apple Pay and some sort of arrangement had to be made with them, too.

Also, PayPal abides pretty closely to credit card regulations.  Sellers with credit card merchant accounts aren't allowed to charge buyers to use their credit cards.  I can't see them want to get on credit card issuers' bad sides by charging buyers to use their credit cards through the site.

Message 27 of 37
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable
Re.. sellers do not buy as much on eBay as sellers think they do.

Spent 10g buying on ebay last year approxment.. let's see I closed my store because I cant ship without any INR protection with our mail office almost closed.. so ebay makes zero from me on both ends that's well over 30 g in lost fees to them. Really stupid hmmm maybe.
Message 28 of 37
latest reply

Agree. Anyone thinking they will be able to add a US account from their Canadian bank is delusional, they will make so much from currency conversion there is zero chance they’ll fix it.
Message 29 of 37
latest reply

@Anonymous 

And I spent just over $215.00 , much of which was for eBay branded envelopes plus some Japanese overprinted stamps for DH.

What any one person does is less important than what the majority does, and I believe most sellers do more selling than buying. Especially those who are downsizing homes but also those who are "real" businesses using eBay as another venue for sales.

Message 30 of 37
latest reply

It's my understanding that members can use their credit cards to buy on eBay without having a PP account, although PP will actually be doing the processing.
Seems unnecessarily complex but... that's what happens with Guest Accounts where the buyer is not a member so extending it to members wasn't difficult.

Message 31 of 37
latest reply

If you don't like PayPal's exchange rates and don't want to pay with PayPal, you might have the option of paying by other means such as Google Pay if the seller is now using eBay's Managed Payments system.

Being old and out of things, I have no idea how GooglePay and ApplePay work.

Can anyone help?

KISS.  old man yells at cloud.jpg

Message 32 of 37
latest reply

Paypal gets a fee that they take when the funds are deposited, it does not require Ebay.  The only way around that is to send it bia friends and family, otherwise they take their fee off the top for everything.   As a buyer I will not use Friends and Family with an unknown party as you have no coverage, so don't worry, Paypal will be paid.

Message 33 of 37
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

Being old and out of things, I have no idea how GooglePay and ApplePay work.

Can anyone help?

My understanding is that they operate pretty much on the same principle as PayPal.  One has their credit card information stored in a digital "wallet" in Cupertino or the Googleplex and that information is accessed (Is it okay to use "access" as a verb now?) when the buyer wants to make payment using the card in that wallet.  In addition to online payments, one can use their phone to make a contactless payment with a retailer's point of sale terminal if the terminal is set up to accept these payment instruments.

Message 34 of 37
latest reply

Unbelievavble!

I have spend several hours attempting to include items on ebay but the shipping "requirements are out of this world ridiculous. How to slow a maket down!

Message 35 of 37
latest reply

Which 'requirements' are you referring to? 

You have posted on a year old thread so it might be closed by the mods. If it is closed and you do have questions about shipping, please start a new thread.  Shipping can be confusing when first starting to sell online.

Message 36 of 37
latest reply

A couple of notes on shipping.

No Returns does not mean No Refunds.

• It means your buyer may keep the item and get a refund too.

The difference in Shipping that motorcycle handle to me by ExpressPost vs Standard /Regular Parcel is ~$3.00 while the time difference is six days. 

• I would suggest going with the ExpressPost service only.

Have you signed up for your Solutions for Small Business number yet?

Message 37 of 37
latest reply