ebay I love yea, please get your act together!

amcdc79
Community Member

Even now, I still enjoy selling on ebay. 

The last couple of years have been a challenge, glitches galore, missing photos, slower sales, way more work, but there have been a few positives that makes selling here worthwhile. Most Canadian sellers already know the issues they have had to deal with lately, at least ebay tries to help sellers.

Getting rid of PayPal is a scary thought, considering how well the site runs at times.

An example of poorly done IT, is also one I and others have brought up. I have no problem with ebay putting a note on a listing that has not sold for 16 months. The fact that ebay wants the seller to revise the listing is also fine, if revising took down the note. Since revising does not get rid of the note, I no longer care. 

Now the note is showing up on items I just sold multiples of, so obviously the program is now broken. It seems that any listing over 16 months old, sales or no sales is fair game when it comes to the program.

Thanks for reading, end of rant, please add whatever you feel is on your mind.

PS- We ALL want ebay to succeed, the fact that they do occasionally listen to us, is a huge positive.

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Re: ebay I love yea, please get your act together!

marnotom!
Community Member
If eBay gets rid of PayPal, it won't be for another four+ years, as eBay is contractually bound to offer PayPal until 2023. By that time, the acceptance of PayPal by buyers and sellers should be pretty clear.

Ayden looks like a solid enough company.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-08-22/adyen-s-first-earnings-after-record-ipo-excite-in...

The challenge will be to see if it will work on the eBay platform, which is increasingly being held together by paper clips and bubble gum.

Ideally, the whole site should be e-razed and a wholly new, recoded site should be introduced, but the corporate will and capital appear to be lacking.
Message 2 of 23
latest reply

"An example of poorly done IT, is also one I and others have brought up. I have no problem with ebay putting a note on a listing that has not sold for 16 months. The fact that ebay wants the seller to revise the listing is also fine, if revising took down the note. Since revising does not get rid of the note, I no longer care. 

Now the note is showing up on items I just sold multiples of, so obviously the program is now broken. It seems that any listing over 16 months old, sales or no sales is fair game when it comes to the program."

This has absolutely been a huge beef of mine from the start. 'Please consider revising it.' Yes, done. Note remains, so I suppose the last remaining option is to ignore the suggestion completely, thereby rendering it useless and a waste of the space on my page.

And, yes, multi-quality items. Might have sold 49 of 50 over a year-and-a-half but we sellers still see the #$&@#$% note. Reported to Tyler. 

All told, it leads to a progressively more negative experience and when you have even sellers like me ready to scream, you know it's gone too far.

Message 3 of 23
latest reply

With all these new and recurring problems that keep on happening, when was the last time there was a satisfactory, helpful solution? My brain hurts from trying to think of just one!!!

-CM

PS. Is there any place it actually says it is possible to remove that note completely without creating an entirely new listing? Sounds like the error message IS the error and not your listing!!!

Message 4 of 23
latest reply

I get those from time to time.

They disappear when I relist using Sell Similar.

Sometimes I make changes, sometimes not. The 16 month still disappears.

My annoyance is with Notes that do disappear.

If I Note that I have another available (My items are not identical, so having advertising more than one is not a good idea), and then Relist, the original Note disappears when I add another Note.

EG- Listing Note: 3/16 two copies GTC . If I Relist and add "8/18 30 day returns " the info about the original listing date,the two copies and the format disappears.

Message 5 of 23
latest reply

And this nonsense in the new relist confirmation emails also makes me angry! The subject no longer has any valid information contained within it. You cannot tell what item is ‘live’ in the ten characters (including spaces) left allotted and I don’t need a false promise of ‘selling tips’ that don’t ever materialize or even exist on the Canadian side of Seller Hub.

Some college kid with no experience using eBay and big ideas took a functional message and ‘fixed it’ to be absolutely worthless to its sellers.

A message telling me an item is relisted serves no purpose if I can’t see what listing it was that’s relisted. That should not even be a thing that a seller has to explain to anyone. Ever!
Message 6 of 23
latest reply

I think this sums up in a nutshell how many feel. Just make something, anything, work properly for a change. There is precious little point rushing out all these half baked features when none of them work properly and nothing seems to be getting fixed retroactively. This isn't even beta level code, it's pre-alpha at best. It is painfully obvious that ebay is not a tech company. Ayden may be a reputable company, but ebay is far from reputable in implementing anything, even something as simple as a payment gateway or a basic ledger. Even the most basic things such as implementing SSL across multiple subdomains have been botched here. I mean does the company even have a CTO? More to the point how do they justify their position if they do? Is there an actual testing and review process before launching a feature, or does the US leadership just push everything through regardless of the state it is in so they have something to feed analysts in earnings calls? I think that answer is pretty clear.

Message 7 of 23
latest reply

Pre-alpha. Snicker, I like that.

Message 8 of 23
latest reply

"This has absolutely been a huge beef of mine from the start. 'Please consider revising it.' Yes, done. Note remains, so I suppose the last remaining option is to ignore the suggestion completely, thereby rendering it useless and a waste of the space on my page."

Every so often check your listings that are close to ending. End all that have the 16 month notice and then sell similar. Suddenly it is new listing and seems to get bumped in the search.

Don't worry about glitches here...a little birdie told me that eBay will get the Phoenix Payroll programmers to fix all the eBay bugs!

Message 9 of 23
latest reply

I don't believe I have ever seen that note/message of which you speak on any of my listings, but then again I rarely relist anything using "relist" ... I mostly relist using "sell similar".

Message 10 of 23
latest reply

What gets more chance of exposure? Sell Similar or Re-List? I've been using Re-List and never thought of using Sell Similar unless I was making a totally new listing.

Not sure if I should make this a separate post.

Message 11 of 23
latest reply

It'a an ongoing discussion.

And you could add in Good Til Cancelled, which relists automatically every 30 days.

The advantage of GTC, is that it is low labour.

The other two can be Bulk Relistings.

Re-List shows as Relisted on your Unsold List (or automatically deletes itself, I've never figured out when or why). This makes it harder to double list accidentally.

Sell Similar remains on your Unsold List which can be handy if you have several not quite identical items, and need to make minor changes as they sell.

I tend to believe that Sell Similar shows as a 'brand new' listing, but opinions differ.

Message 12 of 23
latest reply

I really don't know if there is any significant difference in exposure....

I use the "sell similar" feature to avoid the stale listing syndrome that is created by using the "re-list" method.

Message 13 of 23
latest reply

I've not seen any definitive evidence that Sell Similar helps much if at all.

My best results have been to stop listing tired inventory for a few months, at least three then upload from inventory as a new listing. Next best is frequent shorter periods between relists. Of course this strategy is only feasible if one has ample spare inventory in excess of "free" or store listing limits.
Message 14 of 23
latest reply

Since I do not have a store on eBay(nor do I want one) and mostly rely on whatever free listings are available to me, yes I do alternate my listings as I have approx. 1300 items over several categories, to work with at any given time...

Message 15 of 23
latest reply

I have never seen a note on an item saying it is listed for more than 16 moths can you let me know an item you have that has a note on the listing saying this ? 

Message 16 of 23
latest reply

Does it take you longer than 16 months to sell something using GTC?

Message 17 of 23
latest reply

@canadian.tree wrote:

I have never seen a note on an item saying it is listed for more than 16 moths can you let me know an item you have that has a note on the listing saying this ? 

Most of my listings are long tail items, which many of you have never heard of. The video games are mostly for the Dreamcast console which was Sega's last system. The games for it sold very well until it was hacked, then piracy, and the fact that Sega was $1 Billion in the hole when they released it, meant an early demise. 

The AMC Emblems are also very niche items, the hockey cards are in a saturated market, with their age and condition being their redeeming quality, again slow sellers.

The note I am referring to, can only be seen by sellers under their listing, on their my ebay selling page. Two years ago I took down all my listings due to a possible Postal strike. I then resisted them when CPC settled, and any still up, have that note. 

Regarding PayPal, the big question is, why did ebay sell it when they were making money from every sale, and PayPal was generally trusted, and worked like a charm.

Message 18 of 23
latest reply

@amcdc79

I think it was one of those Wall Street predators who buy enough stock to take over stockholder meetings and then force the spin off, pocketing any boost in stock price.

Most Wall Street manipulation has nothing to do with the core business of the publicly held company.

I actually had the horrible realization last week that I sorta agreed with Trump that quarterly stock reports were a bad idea.

I read a book about it once.

https://rogerlmartin.com/lets-read/fixing-the-game

Message 19 of 23
latest reply

Rumour has it that DT once read a book as well.
Message 20 of 23
latest reply