ebay is adding best offer to .ca auctions

Ebay is now adding best offer to auctions without it being selected. They are also taking the auction starting price and rounding up to the next $ and dividing it by 2 and using that amount in the "automatically reject lower than field".

Got a super low ball offer today which is what alerted us to this. So we checked all of our auction format items. Not all had it done to them but MOST did. This is only being done on .ca as no .com or .co.uk auctions are affected. We do not do the offer thing.

We checked with 2 other sellers that we know and it has happened to only one of them. Everyone should have a look and see if it has been done to them.

We attached a picture.

Message 1 of 33
latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

Re: ebay is adding best offer to .ca auctions

No simplified form here. 13 years in here.

That simplified form is the one that on .com for americans it lumps Canada in with everywhere else for shipping. Unfortunately most americans that somehow miraculously opted out of gsp or do not know any other way to list but the noob form. We know about the noob form.

Message 21 of 33
latest reply

have reported it to their security department and it is still happening to my auctions.

Message 22 of 33
latest reply

Just noticed another new thing eBay has started doing. When you ask a question to a seller about the item, when they reply there now is a box that says Make An Offer.  Never saw that one before.

Message 23 of 33
latest reply

They have had that on .com for a few years.  If you were on .ca when you saw it, they must have recently added it here.

Message 24 of 33
latest reply

If an item is not sold within 8 days, eBay is turning on the best offer option. You can’t opt out of this new policy, however eBay is monitoring sellers reactions and they’ve been mostly negative. If enough sellers call eBay and complain, they will revert back to the old format.
Message 25 of 33
latest reply

They did it again today but this time with a twist. New item 10 day auction. Time sensitive auction that needed 10 days of exposure and needed to end on sunday oct 21 and needed to end no later than around 8pm Winnipeg time. Upon listing the idiots changed it to a 7 day auction and put buy it now on it. We did not notice this until 10:30 Winnipeg time, too late to try relisting it. There is no way to edit it to 10 days but it allows to edit to 1, 3 or 5 day. As a test before ending the item we tried editing it to a 5 day and it changed. Tried editing it again and the new options were 1 or 3 day. At this point we ended it.

Great, now what???

Message 26 of 33
latest reply

Edit: The last post was supposed to say they added "best offer" not "buy it now".

Here is what it looked like on a phone:

Screenjpeg.jpg

Message 27 of 33
latest reply

Hi,

I found two of these unwanted Best Offers on my auctions today. This is unacceptable! E-Bay has no right to change my choice of selling method. I am so P.O.d!!!

Message 28 of 33
latest reply

Back in October I ended all my listings and was looking at options for future sales. 

What I settled on was when I start a BIN, I turn on Best Offer but auto decline at 10 cents below my price except when eBay's algorithm indicates I might (rarely) be under charging. In that case, I accept eBay's recommendation for the price but set the auto decline to just below my (original) asking price. 

I don't mention anything in my listing regarding Best Offer. 

Message 29 of 33
latest reply

just noticed this today, about half of the 27 auctions i listed have “offer” on them , but i dont remember selecting this, maybe i clicked by mistake, but they should not even allow offers on auctions! sounds dumb to me !
Message 30 of 33
latest reply

for Ebay to add something i dont want (and to sneak it behind my back!) is TOTAL BULL**bleep**! If this happens to me , heads should roll.
Message 31 of 33
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

This needs to be brought to the attention of eBay staff immediately based on the several recent reports. This is wrong if it is going on behind sellers backs. These items are our inventory. Not theirs. Only we know what we paid for our stock and we need full control!!!

-CM

Sadly this(these) message(s) goes back to 2018 and its STILL a thing

-Lotz

Message 32 of 33
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

-----------------------------------------
Help us keep the community friendly and fun for everyone, check out the Guidelines
Message 33 of 33
latest reply