i make a sale ebay sends the money to my bank a few days later they take the money for a shipping

E bay has turned into a three ring circus,i make a sale ,they send the money to my bank  print out a shipping label and they take the money for the shipping label from my bank,this is crazy,why not take the shipping f,rom the total from the sale, the fees they take,but not the shipping,,thinking about shutting down after over 10 years

Message 1 of 38
latest reply
37 REPLIES 37

Re: i make a sale ebay sends the money to my bank a few days later they take the money for a shippin

What difference does this make whether we can have our money deposited in US or CDN currency. When it gets deposited its automatically converted to CDN. It got  converted with paypal also but we had the option to leave it in our paypal account. We could use those funds to make purchases in US currency without getting dinged an extra 25-30 cents on every dollar spent. I sold items on .com for purchases that required US currency. Or found it handy also when giving to charity in US or even CDN funds.  Money was in paypal and came from there. You didn't feel the pinch so much. Now paypal in bank account along with Aiden.

The way they have set this up is just really screwy.  Its benefitting somebody but certainly not the sellers.

Plus from what I am reading on these threads ebay charges 3% to convert from US dollars to CDN.  Why are they even charging a fee to convert our money.

Message 21 of 38
latest reply

Re: i make a sale ebay sends the money to my bank a few days later they take the money for a shippin

but.... I made my first 2 sales on Thursday and still have yet to see any money end up in my bank account.

But you saw them in your MP account? As of Sunday or Monday?

Then they left your MP account on Tuesday and have not appeared in your bank account as of Tuesday (at 6:40am EDT)?

I know computers work 24/7 and  the day of the week and the time of day should not matter.

the change went through yet it still reset back to daily pay outs.

Uggh!

Plus from what I am reading on these threads ebay charges 3% to convert from US dollars to CDN. Why are they even charging a fee to convert our money.

FWIW- so does Paypal.

MP is a little more upfront about this, but probably only because stuff that slipped in unoticed over the years with PP are being stated by MP immediately.

Message 22 of 38
latest reply

They showed up as processing almost immediately on Thrursday ,then showed up as "available" on Sunday with a note saying that my next payout was going to be May4th (today). Now when I check the payouts tab , it shows as funds sent and I received a corresponding email saying that usually funds will show in a bank account within 1-4 days. The whole process is as clear as mud to me right now...LOL

Message 23 of 38
latest reply

It does take some getting used to, it took me around a month at least. 

Now that I'm more familiar with it, I like it more then PayPal. 

Message 24 of 38
latest reply

MP is a little more upfront about this, but probably only because stuff that slipped in unoticed over the years with PP are being stated by MP immediately.

MP is a little more upfront about this? All I know is the money being deposited seems to be less than when I used paypal. And you saw the fee paypal charged in US dollars, not canadian. Here it seems to be done behind the scenes. Or we do it by hand trying to figure it out. Waste of time. Maybe I am missing where that part is.

All we see is the amount converted to CDN dollars. Not the conversion but the amount converted and their fees. Would be nice to see US dollars - CDN dollars - Shipping Costs - Fees. Instead you need to go back and forth on computer.

Really not worth selling on US.com anymore. Just a headache. Plus the ebay labels are still not working for me after 2-3 months when shipping to the US. Still don't have the proper dimensions and the proper weight. Still in inches & pounds. Go to Shippo and I can enter the proper info there but can't purchase the label. Getting some type of error message and can't purchase a label on that site lately unless an item has sold in CDN dollars. 

Now waiting to see what they pull out of my bank account for shipping fees. Sold 4 items last week. One the money came out of the proceeds of the sale. The next 3 for some reason didn't. Will be pulled from my account. No consistency to this system and full of glitches. Will see if they pull the amount the buyer paid or the amount I paid with the discount.

Message 25 of 38
latest reply

@electronicifycanada wrote:

It does take some getting used to, it took me around a month at least. 

Now that I'm more familiar with it, I like it more then PayPal. 

To eBay it is considered an "improvement". To the majority of sellers (I included) consider it a downgrade. If there are perks for switching to MP, I haven't found them.

-Lotz

Message 26 of 38
latest reply

@luv4orphans wrote:

Plus from what I am reading on these threads ebay charges 3% to convert from US dollars to CDN.  Why are they even charging a fee to convert our money.

The same reason PayPal, banks, credit unions, credit card issuers, and currency exchange offices charge fees to convert currency: they're performing a service that has costs associated with it and they're not willing or able to bear these costs themselves.

It's the same reason you charge shipping to your buyers: You're providing them a service that you won't do out of the goodness of your heart because it's uneconomical to do so.

Message 27 of 38
latest reply

I am not the one charging shipping to my buyers. The post office does. The only service I am providing is mailing the parcel. I now charge a small fee of $1.50 but I didn't for the longest time. I don't consider that a fee for service but for supplies I have to buy. Coming out of a store with $30-40 of supplies to ship things on ebay, I finally decided that was enough.

For your currency conversion information you provided its done through a computer. That's easy enough. So why 3%. Its a bit steep I think. 

You are neither a buyer nor a seller on here so none of this really affects you does it?

Message 28 of 38
latest reply

luv-- Posting IDs are used by many who don't want to have the IDs they actually use compromised.

And many sellers use the small discounts we get from our SfSB/Venture ONE card to cover packaging costs or include those in their asking price.  And of course there is an allowance for branded shipping supplies with Store subscriptions.

Message 29 of 38
latest reply

@luv4orphans 

MP is a little more upfront about this? All I know is the money being deposited seems to be less than when I used paypal. And you saw the fee paypal charged in US dollars, not canadian. Here it seems to be done behind the scenes. Or we do it by hand trying to figure it out. Waste of time. Maybe I am missing where that part is. 

Yes, you are clearly not making use of available resources.

All we see is the amount converted to CDN dollars. Not the conversion but the amount converted and their fees. Would be nice to see US dollars - CDN dollars - Shipping Costs - Fees. Instead you need to go back and forth on computer.

Nope, back and forth computations are not necessary.

The level of Transaction Detail you seek is readily available for all transactions including those listed in USD on DOTcom. These and other financial details are presented within the pages found on the Payments tab in Seller Hub. If you require detailed financial information the use of Seller Hub is mandatory!

Now waiting to see what they pull out of my bank account for shipping fees. Sold 4 items last week. One the money came out of the proceeds of the sale. The next 3 for some reason didn't. Will be pulled from my account. No consistency to this system and full of glitches. Will see if they pull the amount the buyer paid or the amount I paid with the discount.

Each time you purchase shipping using eBay Labels that purchase is listed as a separate transaction, these are debited from Available funds, if those funds are insufficient then the balance will be collected elsewhere. The shipping charge paid by the buyer has absolutely no bearing on any eBay Labels transaction. 

Message 30 of 38
latest reply

@luv4orphans wrote:

I am not the one charging shipping to my buyers. The post office does. The only service I am providing is mailing the parcel.

When I buy something from you, I'm purchasing the shipping from you as well.  I pay you to either somehow get the item to me under your own steam (not very likely), or else have your choice of shipping agent do it on your behalf.  You may choose to charge exactly what your shipping agent is charging, mark it up a reasonable amount, or subsidize it.  I am paying you, not the post office.  Even though eBay may help you calculate the charges, they're still your charges.

@luv4orphans wrote:

For your currency conversion information you provided its done through a computer. That's easy enough. So why 3%. Its a bit steep I think. 

One of my credit card issuers claims to charge 2% on currency conversion but that's on top of VISA International's exchange rate, not market exchange rates, and it actually works out to be a little worse than PayPal's overall exchange rate.  What we may need to consider is that PayPal may not be paying market exchange rates themselves and some of that 3-4% may be going to from whomever they buy and sell currency.

Message 31 of 38
latest reply

The level of Transaction Detail you seek is readily available for all transactions including those listed in USD on DOTcom. These and other financial details are presented within the pages found on the Payments tab in Seller Hub. If you require detailed financial informationthe use of Seller Hub is mandatory!

I have checked on that but find it hard to follow. But I will pay closer attention. Do I need to be on .com if an item sold in US dollars. I will stick with CDN going forward when I list something until I get the hang of this.

Each time you purchase shipping using eBay Labels that purchase is listed as a separate transaction, these are debited from Available funds, if those funds are insufficient then the balance will be collected elsewhere. The shipping charge paid by the buyer has absolutely no bearing on any eBay Labels transaction. 

The funds are not insufficient, they have not been processed yet. Then I purchase the label and ship within 1 day as that's my handling time. Those funds might not get processed or completed for another day or 2 or 3 if on weekend. So when the funds do get processed why not take the shipping costs out of that. Instead they remit the money to my bank account and then go get their shipping fees. There is no consistency. One it came out of the processed funds, the next 3 didn't.

Someone said there is a box we can click at the bottom of the label to say you want it to come out of the processed funds. Will have to pay attention the next time and make sure I click that. Hopefully it will resolve this. Too many transactions in bank account I find it hard to keep track.

Message 32 of 38
latest reply

@luv4orphans wrote:

I am not the one charging shipping to my buyers. The post office does. The only service I am providing is mailing the parcel. I now charge a small fee of $1.50 but I didn't for the longest time. I don't consider that a fee for service but for supplies I have to buy. Coming out of a store with $30-40 of supplies to ship things on ebay, I finally decided that was enough.

You are neither a buyer nor a seller on here so none of this really affects you does it?

The math get's really messy with MP for exchanges if a refund is involved.

-Lotz

Message 33 of 38
latest reply

Gees thanks. Hasn't happened yet. But can only imagine.

Not the fact that we have to pay fees as I realize that we've always paid fees for using the platform. Whatever money we make is deposited into our bank accounts the very least on a weekly basis whether we want to or not. Small amounts getting in and out constantly. They never seem to catch with shipping fees until after they deposit the whole proceeds of the funds into our bank accounts. Will be watching for that checkmark button the next time to see if they take their shipping fees before deposit.

Buying from US with US funds no longer exists with this new system. Pay all the garbage we got railroad into like GSP, shipping charges in Canadian dollars instead of being able to use our US funds. Hopefully the canadian dollar turns the cards around soon. Won't hold my breath for that one anytime soon.

I used to leave my money in paypal until it reached a larger amount or unless I needed it. There is no incentive to leaving it there now. And these stupid small amounts constantly in and out I find annoying. Put them all in a bucket I guess till the end of the month. Throw them on my credit card I guess. The bank will start charging me a fee for too many transactions on my credit card soon.

Message 34 of 38
latest reply

The level of Transaction Detail you seek is readily available for all transactions including those listed in USD on DOTcom. These and other financial details are presented within the pages found on the Payments tab in Seller Hub. If you require detailed financial informationthe use of Seller Hub is mandatory!

Yes I see the amount of fees I paid and all that. I think what the buyer paid for shipping, not the cost I actually paid with the discount provided. That's kind of handy to know when looking back sometimes.

And I haven't seen the conversion yet from US to CDN dollars. Is it there? What we got paid and what ebay did and the fees. 

Message 35 of 38
latest reply

@luv4orphans wrote:

What difference does this make whether we can have our money deposited in US or CDN currency. When it gets deposited its automatically converted to CDN.

Not if you have a US$ bank account. That is what I was refering to.

Message 36 of 38
latest reply

@luv4orphans wrote:

Yes I see the amount of fees I paid and all that. I think what the buyer paid for shipping, not the cost I actually paid with the discount provided. That's kind of handy to know when looking back sometimes.

And I haven't seen the conversion yet from US to CDN dollars. Is it there? What we got paid and what ebay did and the fees. 

The Orders tab remains the place where most everyday tasks are looked after. The Payments tab serves more of an accounting function as I see it. Refunds do require finding the appropriate MP transaction as that is where the refund tool is located. I've discovered MP issues a detailed Financial Statement at months end, it provides a nice summary of the month's happenings.

I've attached a screenshot of a USD transaction that shows how MP accounts for everything including the conversion rate. It makes no difference what site is used, the same info appears on both sites.

Screenshot 2021-05-07 021132.jpg

Message 37 of 38
latest reply

it is set to weekly,and they are still screwing it up.i think its time to quit ebay,

Message 38 of 38
latest reply