i make a sale ebay sends the money to my bank a few days later they take the money for a shipping

E bay has turned into a three ring circus,i make a sale ,they send the money to my bank  print out a shipping label and they take the money for the shipping label from my bank,this is crazy,why not take the shipping f,rom the total from the sale, the fees they take,but not the shipping,,thinking about shutting down after over 10 years

Message 1 of 38
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

i make a sale ebay sends the money to my bank a few days later they take the money for a shipping

It does. I am not sure why. They want us to ship within your handling time but payment sometimes doesn't get processed for 3-4 days. If it takes that long they will take their money from that sale. If not they take it out of the next sale if you have one or out of your bank account. Its all screwy.

Myself I find it really hard to keep track of all this and will need to open another bank account for ebay alone. Its ridiculous.

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 38
latest reply
37 REPLIES 37

You do have the option of having the money deposited weekly, I don't know if that would help.
In the US they have they currently have the option of having the label cost taken from PayPal or from the pending payment before it goes to your bank account.  Hopefully we will have those options in the future. tyler@ebay   ??

Message 2 of 38
latest reply

To set your managed payment account deposit to your bank on a weekly basis is the way to go. It is just like leaving a balance on your Paypal account. Like that if you decided to use Ebay shipping label; the shipping fees will be withdrawl automatically from your manage payment account not from your bank account. The weakness of manage payment so far is the processing time for any transaction   24 to 48 hours and longer over the week-end. But having the deposit done on weekly basis it eleviates this problem partially.

Message 3 of 38
latest reply

Daily or weekly it does seem more and more sensible to have a dedicated bank account for eBay and/or other selling accounts with payment processing handled by Adyen.

Message 4 of 38
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

You do have the option of having the money deposited weekly, I don't know if that would help.
In the US they have they currently have the option of having the label cost taken from PayPal or from the pending payment before it goes to your bank account.  Hopefully we will have those options in the future. tyler@ebay   ??

Hi @pjcdn2005 - you have the option of using pending funds when using eBay Labels. To switch to use pending funds you can use the checkbox in the lower right hand corner of the page when printing a label (it can be easy to miss). This post on .com has a screenshot of what it looks like there, but I don't have a screenshot of what it looks like on our Labels page. I've requested a screenshot of that and will update the post if I get one!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 5 of 38
latest reply

Well that is pretty crazy & could result in a lot of extra charges to your bank account.

Message 6 of 38
latest reply

When choosing a bank account it would be necessary to ascertain what fees the bank charges before attaching it to Managed Payments.

Message 7 of 38
latest reply

What many others have done myself included, is to open a new personal checking account with one of the online only banks to receive marketplace funds from the likes of ebay and etsy. Those banks have no physical branches, they also charge no monthly service fees or transaction fees. When properly arranged the new account more or less replaces a PayPal account.

• Link the new account to the same bank account previously linked to PayPal.
  • One option is to use the new account's Visa debit (client card) for online or in person purchases funded from the new bank account's balance.
  • Another option is to apply for a credit card issued by the new bank and use that for purchases and as a backup payment source for MP.
  • In this setup, Payments (income), Cash Purchases (debit card or ABM cash) and Other Expenses (credit card) are kept "in house" with the new bank account, and it costs Nothing! 
  • Once 6 months has passed since MP activation I will be closing my PayPal account. The ability to receive and hold balances in multiple currencies will be missed but nothing in this world lasts forever.
  • Bank choices include Tangerine (Scotiabank), Simplii Financial (CIBC) and others.

Message 8 of 38
latest reply

This is very true. Please make sure your bank has free unlimited transfers. I had my old bank on eBay and I had daily payments set. I got dinged pretty bad on bank fees. It was around $100... So I opened a PC bank and linked it to eBay. Now I get free transactions on my bank and eBay works out a lot better.

Message 9 of 38
latest reply

It does. I am not sure why. They want us to ship within your handling time but payment sometimes doesn't get processed for 3-4 days. If it takes that long they will take their money from that sale. If not they take it out of the next sale if you have one or out of your bank account. Its all screwy.

Myself I find it really hard to keep track of all this and will need to open another bank account for ebay alone. Its ridiculous.

Message 10 of 38
latest reply

The weekly option is probably our best bet here but I set it up like that at first. But then I couldn't see any reason why I would keep my money there as there's nothing we can do with it.  Now I realize that yes it could come in handy to keep in there for shipping labels. Other than this this whole system sucks.

Message 11 of 38
latest reply

Should I assume that you mean the customer pays and you are instructed to ship, but the payment has not turned up in your MP account yet?

Or do you mean it is in MP , but not in your bank account?

I'm holding out --

Message 12 of 38
latest reply

I'm probably one of the crazy ones who still use Snap Ship to print shipping labels... because I prefer paying with my credit card. My shipping volume is so low anyway, manually printing via Snap Ship only takes me a few extra minutes. 

Message 13 of 38
latest reply

@luv4orphans wrote:

The weekly option is probably our best bet here but I set it up like that at first. But then I couldn't see any reason why I would keep my money there as there's nothing we can do with it.  Now I realize that yes it could come in handy to keep in there for shipping labels. Other than this this whole system sucks.

The weekly option is ONLY advantageous when you are able to time having funds amd then  having your monthly charge come out of them or all  your listings use promoted. Kinda like when payday is a day before rent day. Minor secondary advantage would be like you said for the shipping labels. Other than that I haven't found a good reason.

Message 14 of 38
latest reply

@electronicifycanada wrote:

So I opened a PC bank and linked it to eBay.

I'm considering opening a bank account just for eBay too (although I did not register on MP yet). Regarding that... do I have to have money in that bank account for setting up MP? Will eBay try to take $1 for example to confirm my identity?

Message 15 of 38
latest reply

@lady.stark 

FWIW - When I set up my PP account, decades ago, PP put a few pennies in the bank account, I told them how much it was, and then they took it back.

Identity confirmed.

Message 16 of 38
latest reply

@lady.stark wrote:

I'm considering opening a bank account just for eBay too (although I did not register on MP yet). Regarding that... do I have to have money in that bank account for setting up MP? Will eBay try to take $1 for example to confirm my identity?

Information on eBay's use of micro-deposits to verify a bank account can be found here:

https://www.ebay.ca/help/selling/getting-paid/submitting-updating-information-managed-payments?id=47...

Message 17 of 38
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:

@lady.stark wrote:

Information on eBay's use of micro-deposits to verify a bank account can be found here:

https://www.ebay.ca/help/selling/getting-paid/submitting-updating-information-managed-payments?id=47...

From the same link (thank you):

When registering for managed payments, business sellers have the option of choosing between Canadian dollars (CAD) or United States dollars (USD) as their payout currency. Once you’ve completed registration, you can't change your payout currency.

For more information on payout currency, see our article on How payouts work for managed payments sellers.

------------------------------------------------------------

It seems to be possible to choose USD payout currency.... if you are a business seller. But not allowing to change is just simply stupid.

Message 18 of 38
latest reply

Yes a customer pays and we need to ship in our allotted time. Meanwhile the payment does not get processed for a few days. If it happens on a Thursday, no sign of completed payment till at least Monday. But I have a 1 day handling time so need to ship by Friday.

That's just an example.

If a customer buys on Monday, I ship on Tuesday but that payment might not get processed till Wednesday or Thursday.

I have had 2-3 times where the shipping fees have come directly out of my bank account prior to the payment being deposited. Rather than come out of the proceeds of that sale. They don't catch it on time or something. Sometimes it comes out of the next sale if you have one. I can't figure that one out.  I am not an analytical person so find this time consuming and mind boggling.

Message 19 of 38
latest reply

There is no doubt this system is gonna take some getting used too. I signed up last Wednesday and the process of signing up was easy but.... I made my first 2 sales on Thursday and still have yet to see any money end up in my bank account.  The funds showed as "processing" until Sunday,then went to "availaible" . The system is now showing that my first payout is in process today (Tuesday). I've put my listings on "time away"  mode until that first pay out completes just to make sure that there are no real problems.I can't see how Ebay can refer to this as an easier way to get paid.

The real problem that I am having is trying to set my payouts to weekly. I have changed in at least 4 times and ,for some reason, it keeps resetting back to daily. I even changed it once with a customer rep on the phone and they confirmed that the change went through yet it still reset back to daily pay outs.

Message 20 of 38
latest reply