netParcel?

I went to do a Paypal label today, and found an option on there for netParcel.

I looked it up and it says save up to 70% on shipping. Has anyone got any information on this?

Message 1 of 70
latest reply
69 REPLIES 69

Re: netParcel?

@triber wrote:

I went to do a Paypal label today, and found an option on there for netParcel.

I looked it up and it says save up to 70% on shipping. Has anyone got any information on this?

I only see Canada Post and UPS as options on PayPal.

Did look up the netParcel website and they appear to be another shipping/courier broker -- they find cheap rates with various shipping companies and allow you to connect to them -- they do not transport parcels.  A bit like Shippo except they are based in Canada.

They currently provide discounted shipping rates from the following carriers:

• Loomis Express
  • UPS
  • Purolator
  • FedEx
  • DHL (International)
  • Bpost (International)

Not available for all areas of Canada.

-..-

Message 2 of 70
latest reply

It gave me a choice of Paypal or netParcel on the Paypal site.

Message 3 of 70
latest reply

I saw it and the savings seem to be substantial.

My number memory is always spotty, but they offered a $7+ UPS label for a US shipment that would cost me $20+by Canada Post.

I used postage stamps because I am not an early adopter. And I have a cheap source of those.

Waiting with interest for some brave soul to try it out.

Message 4 of 70
latest reply

My concern using UPS is would customs be included or not? It's usually only included on premium services.

-Lotz

Message 5 of 70
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies 

Americans have a duty-free allowance of $800.

So for most eBay sellers, this is not a concern.

And of course, within Canada there is no inter-provincial duty or sales tax.

Message 6 of 70
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

I saw it and the savings seem to be substantial.

My number memory is always spotty, but they offered a $7+ UPS label for a US shipment that would cost me $20+by Canada Post.

I used postage stamps because I am not an early adopter. And I have a cheap source of those.

Waiting with interest for some brave soul to try it out.

I am with you femmefan, I don't want to try it out until someone else does and finds it works well.

I am surprised that Paypal didn't send any communication about it before putting on their site.

Message 7 of 70
latest reply

True on the $800.00 dollar limit but there are is also a long list of zip codes that could qualify for Delivery and Remote Area Surcharges and International(Rural Canada) Extended Area Surcharges with using UPS. Link attached. As a by the way, current customs clearing fees with UPS for USA to Canada approximately 31.00 plus any applicable duties/taxes for a shipment valued at 100.00 or less. Wonder when or even if the USMCA agreement will ever be ratified?

https://www.ups.com/us/en/shipping/surcharges/delivery-extended-area.page?

-Lotz

Message 8 of 70
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

True on the $800.00 dollar limit but there are is also a long list of zip codes that could qualify for Delivery and Remote Area Surcharges ... with using UPS

... current customs clearing fees with UPS for USA to Canada approximately 31.00 plus any applicable duties/taxes for a shipment valued at 100.00 or less. Wonder when or even if the USMCA agreement will ever be ratified?

https://www.ups.com/us/en/shipping/surcharges/delivery-extended-area.page?

The netParcel quoted rates for Canada to United States I would expect to be adjusted based on to/from addresses. Just like Canada Post has variable rates.

Coming into Canada:

Sales tax under the new agreement (if ratified) will start at $40 (duty free is $150), so under $100 UPS charges could still apply.

-..-

Message 9 of 70
latest reply

That's interesting... could be an option when Canada Post is on strike.

Message 10 of 70
latest reply

Yes it could. What I am wondering if it could work within Canada, I get frustrated with the high cost of shipping packages within Canada. When I Googled it, I saw that there was a Canadian office.

Message 11 of 70
latest reply

Doesn't look like it will be cheaper than Canada Post in Canada but pretty good courier rates. I just shipped a parcel today with Canada Post Expedited for $16.63 and netparcel quoted me $19.48 for 3 day Purolator or $18.69 for 6 day UPS.

Message 12 of 70
latest reply

Just looking into NetParcel. I can send an item to the USA using Canada post small packet air for $6.90CAD but my lowest priced option using Net Parcel is UPS for $10 and some change. However, the UPS option would include tracking I would assume. The tracked packet Canada Post is about $1 more and I can drop it in my local post box vs. driving to UPS.

Are brokerage fees charged for the US customer or international customers? My items I sell are usually less than $20 CDN I would hate for a brokerage fees of like $10 to be charged on such a low priced item.

Possibly an option for Canadian shipments as Canada post would cost about $15-17 to have a tracking numbers (Outrageous prices with Canada post...costs less to ship to the USA with a tracking number than within Canada)...or 3 stamps if i slip it into the post box...but no tracking.

Message 13 of 70
latest reply

@pspguitar wrote:

Are brokerage fees charged for the US customer or international customers? My items I sell are usually less than $20 CDN I would hate for a brokerage fees of like $10 to be charged on such a low priced item.

Under $800us for United States should have no UPS fee:

https://www.ups.com/us/en/shipping/zones-and-rates/us-customs-brokerage-fees.page

International will depend on destination country and service used. The netParcel website does not have UPS listed as an international shipping choice (just DHL or Bpost)

-..-

Message 14 of 70
latest reply

On brokerage-- US residents have a duty-free allowance of $800, so for most shipments, no duty.

Four US states are now charging "internet sales tax" but that applies to all out of state purchases and is handled by eBay. (And yes there are complaints-- these are Americans).

For international sales, it would depend on the country. I believe, thanks to a remarkably phlegmatic Norwegian, that Norway has a similar $20 duty free allowance as Canada, but it will vary from country to country.

OH!
Here's a question for eBay !  With the new Free Trade pact with the EU, what will be the duty-free allowance for shipments going into member countries?

tyler@ebay.com

We have to keep in mind that with Free Trade the place of manufacture is more important than the place of purchase.

So your Chinese made dress would not be duty free but that can of maple syrup would be.

Message 15 of 70
latest reply

@reallynicestamps

What would happen if the maple syrup spilled on the dress made in China? Would they both become duty free? Sorry, had to ask!!

-Lotz

Message 16 of 70
latest reply

dedeh-74
Community Member

Hi All,

This is Derek from netParcel.  Recently came across this thread and thought I would answer a few of the general questions. 

For PayPal users please reference the link on www.paypal.ca/shipping directly for the PayPal integrated platform and rates. 

1) The platform offers both domestic Canada and international shipments.

2) ALL US bound shipments under $800 USD in value of tax, duty and brokerage free regardless of service used.

3) 1lb to the US is about $6.50 CAD + Fuel and Residential Surcharge if applicable and includes $100 insurance, 2-5 day delivery, and enhanced tracking.

The launch until now was a soft launch and the formal press release was issued last week.  

https://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/paypal-canada-launches-new-solution-to-help-small-businesses-s...

If you have any questions, please let us know.  Thanks, Derek

Message 17 of 70
latest reply

I've not any useful information to share but I do feel PayPal deserves some "thumbs up, well done" congratulations for at least attempting to improve the high shipping cost impediment all small scale sellers deal with here in Canada.

After reading the FAQs and the 1-2 lb Toronto to New York example provided by the netparcel commenter this does sound like it could possibly be a good alternative for those heavier items I've avoided selling lately ie; heavy technical books. If those could really be sent stateside for ~ $10 all in insured and tracked that could work. The fact that it's a Ground service doesn't necessarily bother me for US destinations provided the cargo is constantly moving. Seems the Air cargo spends a lot of time sitting near airports waiting for planes.
Message 18 of 70
latest reply

Has anyone on this board used netParcel?

Message 19 of 70
latest reply

1) The platform offers both domestic Canada and international shipments.
2) ALL US bound shipments under $800 USD in value of tax, duty and brokerage free regardless of service used.
3) 1lb to the US is about $6.50 CAD + Fuel and Residential Surcharge if applicable and includes $100 insurance, 2-5 day delivery, and enhanced tracking.

Yes, free brokerages when the label is purchased but how is the recipient treated? When the parcel arrives at their doorstep in the USA is the customer facing brokerage fee requests from the carrier?
Message 20 of 70
latest reply