new ebay users with no feedback

i don t often see buyers with zero or 1 feedback but lately i have several - some purchase and pay and others purchase and dont pay so i lose an entire selling week. has ebay opened up membership to anyone with a credit card-  ie not verified 😞 i remember an announcement  about a new ebay partner ship ... maybe it is about time Ebay change their policy to IF YOU BUY YOU PAY IMMEDIATELY like almost all other online stores - this losing a selling week is frustrating - wait 4 days to open case then give them another few days then finally get fees credited. i a happy to extend a waiting period to someone who asks - but selling something 2 or three times is not fun:(

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

in the 17 years of selling on eBay, have rarely had problems with 0 feedback buyers. In fact the majority of my non-paying buyers over the years have been those with hundreds of feedback.

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

When selling in a Buy it Now Fixed Price Format there is an option to require  immediate payment. 

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

has ebay opened up membership to anyone with a credit card-

Yes.

More precisely, eBay now allows 'guest' buyers to purchase without becoming members and opening Paypal accounts.

These 'guests' have fewer Buyer Protections than members.

Basically only the chargeback policies of their cards.

They tend to be impulse buyers and may be buying from phones rather than laptops or desktops.

The best way to protect yourself is to use Fixed Price/ Immediate Payment Required.

I notice you have two somewhat different groups of items  Clothing, some quite high end and Sports Memorabilia.

Is the problem across the Board or does it center on one of the categories?

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

@cek12345678 wrote:

... maybe it is about time Ebay change their policy to IF YOU BUY YOU PAY IMMEDIATELY ... - this losing a selling week is frustrating - wait 4 days to open case then give them another few days then finally get fees credited....

For a BIN (Buy-It-Now) listing you as a seller can turn on the Immediate payment required option.

However the immediate payment option does not apply to OFFERS.

If that is where the problem is occurring, then you should make a counter-offer (even if it's the same price as the original offer) -- this would keep your listing live until the potential buyer decides to accept.

-..-

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

Those are Guest checkouts and I rarely if ever have difficulty with them. But if you want to avoid a Guest checkout, use the Seller Preference that blocks anyone without a paypal account associated. 

The only drawback to selling to a Guest is that they rarely if ever leave feedback so the feedback reciprocation for those who care about it is one-way only. You for them. 

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

@momcqueen wrote:

Those are Guest checkouts and I rarely if ever have difficulty with them. But if you want to avoid a Guest checkout, use the Seller Preference that blocks anyone without a paypal account associated. 

The only drawback to selling to a Guest is that they rarely if ever leave feedback so the feedback reciprocation for those who care about it is one-way only. You for them. 

Just an added point....  blocking those without a PP account also blocks long time ebayers who do not have their ebay and PP accounts linked or who do not have have a PP account at all but who pay with a credit card.

I don't think that ebay guest accounts can leave feedback at all.

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

“Just an added point.... blocking those without a PP account also blocks long time ebayers who do not have their ebay and PP accounts linked or who do not have have a PP account at all but who pay with a credit card.

“I don't think that ebay guest accounts can leave feedback at all.”

That’s true. The no-buyers-without-PayPal block is never one that I’ve employed. Although, I doubt there are droves of long-term ebayers who are PayPal-averse.

I’ve seen brand-new buyers with nonsensical IDs that are identical to the Guest IDs keep those user names and, from zero feedback, grow to a proper account. So, just because it’s a nonsense ID with zero feedback dooesnt mean it’s a Guest, actually. It could be a new user who’s going to stick with it. I always assume those are Guests but new users do sometimes keep those IDs without altering them.
Message 8 of 18
latest reply

(Also, on the latter point in which Guest accounts may or may not leave feedback, I will test this the next time I buy and report back since I wonder about this too. Part of me thinks they may be able to leave feedback but choose not to do it, part of me thinks they may not. I'll see which of the two it is when I do my next transaction as a Guest to see what a Guest experiences on ebay. I know we see a LOT of questions on these Boards from buyers who checked-out as guests, so it would help me to see it first-hand for the first time in almost 20 years.) 

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

The last two months I get 10 buyers with 0 feedback and only one of them paid while other are unpaid item bidders which are very annoying and waste of time.

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

Sounds like Fixed Price/Immediate Payment Required is your go-to solution, then.

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

Case in point regarding Guest Buyers and the ability/inability to leave feedback.

Sold an item to a buyer last weekend that looked like a Guest Checkout ID. It arrived today. Buyer sent me a message that states they were very pleased with their item and wanted to tell me so but that they couldn't give me feedback to that affect since they used Guest checkout for it. 

But they were able to send me a Message using that ID which would tell me that they still have some follow-up actions available to them. As to the reason ebay would exclude feedback from that list of tasks a Guest Checkout buyer can complete? Doesn't make much sense to me. 

So.....

I'll try it myself and see. 

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

The last two months I get 10 buyers with 0 feedback and only one of them paid while other are unpaid item bidders which are very annoying and waste of time.

In the last couple of years I've easily had 10 buyers with 0 feedback.  Every one of them paid because I use BiN requiring immediate payment.  

Have not had any problems with them afterwards.

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

I concur. Buyers who use Guest Checkout easily comprise 20 percent of my customers: they never present a problem during or post-transaction. The ‘problem’ buyers are usually toting blue or turquoise stars.
Message 14 of 18
latest reply

I also don't really care how many feedbacks the buyers have. (The only thing it might make me do is upgrade to tracking depending on the $$$ value).

I have at least one buyer who's bought maybe over 10 times now, each time with a different guest checkout....

I also hearken from the "before the internet" days when we (I still do) sent product (approvals) to the customers home, they pick what the want pay for it and return the remainder. A very trust based process.....so "risking" a zero feedback buyer is waaayyy up the safety scale from that!
Message 15 of 18
latest reply

I can’t even recall a problem with zero feedback buyers. All the ones who claimed INR with me are ppl with a feedback score.
Message 16 of 18
latest reply

great news for ebay to expand their buyer base. bad news for sellers who get buyers who send multiple offers  possibly for the same item - i see this when i receive an offer - sometimes a buyer has 4 or more active offers. my guess is that  the buyer  is looking for an item and finds 4 options or possibilities  so sends offers on all 4 or more not caring if all the sellers accept or not. then they decide which to pay on. 

maybe it is time ebay insist on Immediate payment once an offer is accepted. 

Message 17 of 18
latest reply

I’m not certain Guest Buyers can make Best Offers without creating an account. But I agree the Best Offer once accepted should end the item only when payment is confirmed.
Message 18 of 18
latest reply