Welcome to the 2023 Winter Seller Update Board

Hello and welcome to the discussion board for the 2023 Winter Seller Update. If you are visiting the Community Forums for the first time please take a moment to review our Community Guidelines, and consider checking out other boards like Seller Central  or Buyer Central  to meet and connect with fellow Sellers.

This board is exclusively for questions regarding the announced changes (you can read more about them here). You won’t be able to start new conversations on this page, but you are able to leave questions in the thread. 

Message 1 of 33
latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

Re: Welcome to the 2023 Winter Seller Update Board

ebye bye

Message 21 of 33
latest reply

The biggest problem, is charging fees on shipping AND taxes collected. so we are basically paying tax on tax (which isnt a thing in the real world), as well as paying for OUR services that Ebay doesnt do anything with. 

A great alternative (to prevent abuse of no fee shipping) is charge a fee for flat rate shipping listings, and NO FEE for those shipping items using the ebay shipping tools. It would make A LOT more sense. 

Also, paying taxes on taxes, as a business, shouldnt Ebay be sending those taxes BACK to the stores at end of year?  I like that ebay is collecting sales tax for me (as a business its a lot easier), hoever, taxing me on those taxes, is a bit scammish.

Message 22 of 33
latest reply

WHY ARE YOU INCREASING RATES AGAIN 

Message 23 of 33
latest reply

Have you ever come across this?  That part of the 'Winter Seller Update Board', is there to make the rest (bad part) seem not so bad.....

Message 24 of 33
latest reply

I asked this before and was told it would be looked into but it never was.

The new rates for musical instruments shows. rate increase from 6 to 6.35 for "guitars and basses". What is the difference between  these and mandolins and violins ? they are still musical instruments and still a higher rate that Reverb is charging. I already put most of my effort into my Reverb sales simply for this reason. I have been selling my fretted violns on ebay for several years now and feel like I have been getting overcharged all this time. I would really like an answer to this.

Musical Instruments & Gear > Guitars & Basses

6%

2.35% on portion of the sale over $7,500

6.35%

2.35% on portion of the sale over $7,500

Message 25 of 33
latest reply

I'm guessing you have many more prospective buyers here compared to the other place.  Ebay is still less than the other big online marketplace last time I checked. Your category did jump up a lot.  Likely due to inreased popularity of said items.

FVF on shipping has been here a long time now, but don't forget about FVF on taxes.  That is the one I don't like and the only one I look at as a CG.  But Ebay, like everyone else, is in the busniess of making money.

At least for most of your items, you can put it in the price and people will still buy.  For a lot of what I sell, there are too many..... and I saw cheaper prices after the FVF on taxes, not people increasing.  This will be no different.

Message 26 of 33
latest reply

Difference is likely number of each sold.  For example, I see that Records category has increased a lot, why, likely due to increase in popularity ( for lack of a better term as the right one eludes my old brain).  Oh, demand!!!  Either way, you dig.....  Supply and demand, and what other sites are doing?

Message 27 of 33
latest reply

selling fees on ebay for a $23.00 sale is around $5.00

The same sale of $23.00 directly thru paypal costs $1 if you use  paypals invoice

Really  how can ebay boast at the start of them taking over looking after the sales money that their costs would be exactly the same as when paypal was being used or slightly cheaper HMMM

Message 28 of 33
latest reply

@slipstreamvintage wrote:

Also, paying taxes on taxes, as a business, shouldnt Ebay be sending those taxes BACK to the stores at end of year?  I like that ebay is collecting sales tax for me (as a business its a lot easier), hoever, taxing me on those taxes, is a bit scammish.

Why? If you have a tax number you get that back anyway when you file. The transaction between the buyer and the seller is separate from the transaction between the seller and eBay for the use of their platform. eBay could choose not to charge us FVF on the tax (which would be nice), but by law they have to charge us tax on the service they provide.

Message 29 of 33
latest reply

I find ebay is increasing fees non-stop and sellers are more and more de-motivated, selling on ebay becomes less and less interesting… inviting us to give up
Message 30 of 33
latest reply

I know I`m wasting my breath for nothing.

HELLO EBAY, Ebay if you didn`t realize by now that you`re not the only online market place in 2023 your competition is growing, you should work on keeping your sellers at bay and at least stop the gouging, 

Don`t bite the hand that feeds you,  

The more sellers leave the more you have to gouge to make up for the loss and it will become a visious cycle.

Ive seen hundreds of Amazon commercials on TV in December but don`t recall even seeing 1 Ebay commercial LOL

Message 31 of 33
latest reply

which is exactly what I have been doing for the past few years...have about 90% of my items listed on other selling sites, but any site worth listing on does have similar fees to eBay...

Many of the larger sites have gone the route of micromanaging their sellers and upping the fees...

online selling is NOT what it used to be and the days of any trustworthiness have come & gone...

Message 32 of 33
latest reply

Thank you all for the questions that you have asked in regards to Winter Seller Update! I will be closing off this thread but if there are any unaswered questions I will be sure to follow up with those.

Message 33 of 33
latest reply