It’s time to resolve Canada Post uncertainty

Did you guys get this?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear eBay Community Member,

eBay Canada is asking for your help to encourage Prime Minister Trudeau to take action to restore confidence in Canada’s postal service. If you agree that it’s time to end the labour uncertainty, please take a moment to sign a letter from eBay sellers to the Prime Minister.

For months, Canadian businesses like yours have had to deal with the implications of the ongoing negotiations between Canada Post Corporation and the Canadian Union of Postal Workers. The time is right for the Prime Minister to initiate an alternative solution.

Your advocacy on this matter makes a difference—the Canadian government has made supporting small and medium business a top priority and your voice as a Canadian entrepreneur carries tremendous weight.

Thank you in advance for taking the time to sign the letter to the Prime Minister.

Andrea Stairs
Managing Director, eBay Canada

You only fail when you don't try!
Message 1 of 63
latest reply
62 REPLIES 62

Re: It’s time to resolve Canada Post uncertainty

My point is that I'm sure eBay as a corporation doesn't give a hoot who 'wins' what as part of the agreement that is reached, only that an agreement IS reached. So WE can get back to work. Selling. Or buying. Whatever.
Message 21 of 63
latest reply

Legislation to the dispute sound like getting involved to me.

Message 22 of 63
latest reply

What legislation?
Message 23 of 63
latest reply

first paragraph explore legislation solutions in the letter by e-bay

Message 24 of 63
latest reply

I see: "encourage your government to explore legislative solutions to the current situation" and "With the above context in mind, we strongly encourage your government to take the actions necessary to implement a long-term agreement to restore certainty in Canada’s postal service and ensure consistent, reliable support for Canadian SMBs."

That does not, to me, sound like eBay is telling the federal government they should be forcing unwilling employees back to work via legislation. It sounds to me like eBay is asking the government to take an interest in facilitating a resolution.
Message 25 of 63
latest reply

A conciliator was appointed early in the dispute, a mediator on friday by the federal government, which tells me they ar involved in a solution to this impasse,a abortraiter will be forth coming if mediation stalls.

Message 26 of 63
latest reply

I think I'm missing your point. This relates to the letter...?

Message 27 of 63
latest reply

legislative

Message 28 of 63
latest reply

It's already been done. eBay didn't draft that plan, nor are they presuming. And, no, none of those measures are 'legislative'. Legislative means legislation. As in a bill is passed. The senate etc.
Message 29 of 63
latest reply

Every person in Canada has the right to let her representatives -- at any level of government-- know her opinion on current events.

While businesses are not 'persons' in Canada, unlike some really dumb legislation in the USA, there is nothing forbidding companies, organizations, federations, unions, assemblies or gangs from doing the same.

As long as they are doing it in the open and not passing envelopes of cash in Montreal hotel rooms, it's allowed.

Having worked in a Minister's Office,  I would like to point out that every single personal letter will get a personal  response, signed by that Minister or by an Assistant. Letters that are written as part of a campaign or use a standardized form, will get a standardized response.

What Ms. Stairs seems to be asking us to do is to sign a petition.

I don't think eBay's position necessarily reflects the position of each of us as sellers. If we do write either to Prime Minister Trudeau or to Minister Judy Foote we each should make it short, clear  and polite. And personal.

Message 31 of 63
latest reply

Nicely put.

Midnight -- the deadline -- expired two hours ago. It would appear we have another 24-hour extension of the postponement of job action while both sides continued to negotiate with one another with the assistance of the government-appointed mediator.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/canada-post-overtime-ban-1.3740747

Canada Post, union extend mediation another 24 hours
2nd time that job action in the form of an overtime ban has been put on hold

Again, I have to say, they must be close to reaching an agreement.
Message 32 of 63
latest reply

And again, I have to say, I care less about what that agreement says or contains than I do that an agreement is merely reached so that we can start to put it behind us and get back to work. The postal disruption has been disruptive to the thing that I care about most, my own business.
Message 33 of 63
latest reply

The Winnipeg Free Press has this report in this morning's paper.

The NDP Found this letter to the PM as "troubling"

The fact that the negotiation has carried on for nine months is the troubling reality.

eBay sellers have stepped forward...  That is better than good...Small businesses will step forward... more and more.

eBay's action puts small sellers  on record.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

What the negotiations  have done is interfere with our business of selling and the use of Canada Post.  The uncertainty has cut into our sales.

There is a legal action called interference with business.... Sometimes difficult to prove.....However, if enough businesses step forward, such a claim could prove to be most interesting.  eBay has the sales data, as a summary of sales for more than one small business.

Unions can claim what they want... but once they affect businesses other than the employer.....  things could become very legal.

Small businesses have become a most important part of Canada Post's future..... and have influenced Canada Post quite dramatically.

We use Canada Post... we need Canada Post...  

---------------------------------------------

This activity does put some measure of pressure on the Union first  as the major problem and CPC second...  The Union has chosen not to work with CPC

I guarantee that the union and CPC might start reading these boards, if they have not done so before....

We have discussed the situation,,, sometimes quite intensively.  We have been observers, with many an interesting comment.

again... Nine months of negotiations, with the last three months as an unacceptable,  uncertainty of what will happen..

-----------------------------------------------------

This series of negotiations could affect how any future union-employer situation is addressed.

As sellers on eBay we have made these negotiations  a third party deal...

Union-CPC- Small business

My words to the Union....  are...... UNION BEWARE.

Message 35 of 63
latest reply

The Financial Post

http://business.financialpost.com/news/retail-marketing/ebay-urges-trudeau-to-intervene-in-canada-po...

eBay sellers are getting a measure of recognition, like never before

We are being recognized as an important part of business in Canada..... Our contribution  to Canada's economy is important, and if the last 5 years are an indication... our contribution will continue to increase with each year

Message 36 of 63
latest reply

The Union continues to say there is "NO Problem" with mail delivery.

eBay has the statistics to prove otherwise.... Sales are down.

We have become recognized as a third party in the negotiations between the Union and CPC....

Message 37 of 63
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:
How is this 'getting involved' in a labour dispute? There's no interference by eBay in favor of one party over the other.

Taking particular sides isn't the point.  The propriety of a foreign company Interfering in a Canadian labour dispute by using Canadian citizens' signatures to encourage our government to take legislative action is.  Which is why the NDP found this letter "troubling".  It is.  

I would urge any Canadian sellers who are considering signing this letter to the Prime Minister to think carefully before doing so.  This is an American corporation exploiting Canadian sellers' (voters) names for the corporation's own purposes on what is essentially a petition to the Liberal government to pass legislation to end collective bargaining in our postal system.  

This is meddling by a non-Canadian entity in the internal (and political) affairs of Canada.  It is political meddling because our PM has promised not to use back to work legislation as a hammer to close this dispute.  A Canadian association of small internet business owners might be a far more appropriate body to present such a petition, but would that be in the best interests of Canadians in the longer term?  

As I said earlier, I don't expect eBay's motives are focused on Canadian sellers, but on losses being suffered by U.S. sellers whose Canadian buyers have stopped purchasing. 

On the face of it, the invitation to "make your voice heard", and the letter itself seem reasonable enough.  However, reading between the lines critically and with eBay's own context in mind, it's easy to see there are bigger issues at stake than our momentary hardships as sellers:   

"Canadian businesses are now calling on Prime Minister Justin Trudeau to implement a legislative solution to the current situation."

[...] we strongly encourage your government to take the actions necessary to implement a long-term agreement to restore certainty in Canada’s postal service and ensure consistent, reliable support for Canadian SMBs.

Sincerely the undersigned eBay sellers,"

Sounds good, doesn't it?  Except that our political clout as Canadian business owners (and voters) is being manipulated for the long-term purposes of an American company with primarily U.S. interests.  Clearly eBay itself has had little success in budging our government into "legislative action" by direct means.  Rallying Canadian voters is a more convincing tactic.  But what exactly is it that our signatures are encouraging our government to do through this letter-petition?  

The words in this letter that most send a chill down my spine are "long-term agreement to restore certainty".  There is a sinister generality to this phrase.  This is not what the spirit and the law of collective bargaining demand, nor what the Liberal government has stood for.  This is not the kind of legislation that unions (and working/voting Canadians) have fought for decades to put in place.  This the the kind of international corporate security eBay would like. 

I think 'femmefan' and I must have had similar backgrounds in Ottawa.  For my part, having worked in the PMO, I can say that large-scale petitions signed by Canadian citizens on a narrowly defined issue are taken very seriously.  

If you are in favour of encouraging the Liberal government to straight-jacket the freedom of labour to engage in collective bargaining through long-term restrictive legislation, then you need not hesitate to sign this letter.  But if you are concerned about preserving the freedoms we have and preventing large foreign corporations from influencing governmental decision-making, take a pass on this petition. 

So please think about what you are asking your government to do by signing this letter.  It is not being signed by eBay, but by Canadians. 

Message 38 of 63
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

I don't think eBay's position necessarily reflects the position of each of us as sellers. If we do write either to Prime Minister Trudeau or to Minister Judy Foote we each should make it short, clear  and polite. And personal. 

I completely agree.  A letter-writing campaign by Canadian eBay sellers, each setting out our support (or rejection) of government legislative interference, and briefly outlining how the ongoing dispute is impacting us personally, can help to guide the government's ultimate action on this dispute.  Don't forget to cc the relevant Ministers too. 

Pierre is right in saying that in the grand scheme of things, this is a minor disruption (so far at least).  Yes, the uncertainty has a lot of us upset, but realistically, any serious disruption of service to date has only involved two or three weeks.

I would add one thing: if you write to the PM, use pen and paper (or at least printer and paper), not the internet -- and do it soon, while the mail is still moving.  Tangible letters imply a seriousness that tweets or Facebook comments don't, and the sheer physical volume of mail to the PM on one subject can sometimes be enough to influence policy.  

(BTW, if you didn't know, you don't even need a postage stamp to send a letter to the PM, nor a street address.  Address it as simply as "Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, Ottawa" and it will get there). Woman Very Happy

Message 39 of 63
latest reply

Rose - without quoting every word and every sentence and every paragraph of your post, I basically agree with you.

Message 40 of 63
latest reply