Paypal shipping is asking for the HS code, what is that?

I am trying to print a tracked package label, it is now asking for the province as well as the country, and an HS code, I have no idea what that is.

Message 1 of 65
latest reply
64 REPLIES 64

Re: Paypal shipping is asking for the HS code, what is that?

Thanks Triber!
Message 41 of 65
latest reply

Well is does not work for me at all.  Enter a search - push the button and nothing happens.  I tried the Canada Post site and it is a mess and the numbers are longer than 6 digits.  Need a simple alphabetically ordered list with the codes.  Canada post can print a simple booklet with basic postal rates, but they can't manage this?  Plus, no warning in advance they just surprise us with this change! 

Message 42 of 65
latest reply

Are you sure Canada Post is behind this? I ship via both Paypal and via a Canada Post account (using Canada Post ELECTRONIC SHIPPING tools on my computer). Only the labels printed via Paypal made me put in an HS code (which did NOT show on the label, which leads me to believe that it isn't necessary to input it).

Message 43 of 65
latest reply

Well whoever is behind it should explain what is going on to the sellers.  It would also be nice if Canada Post - Ebay - Paypal or whoever is responsible would have the decency to provide a link to an actual usable list of codes.  It's been enough of a pain working around the Paypal label problems the past few weeks - now this.  Makes me wonder if being a seller is becoming more trouble than its worth. 

Message 44 of 65
latest reply

Did you scroll down to the correct category first? Then select one of the sub-categories and that will take you to further sub-categories. Its very informative, I found it a little easier to understand than the Canada Post site but either one should give you the HS code. I believe you just need to use the first 6 digits, from what I have read on these boards.

Message 45 of 65
latest reply

Sorry, the above post was for forrester_studios.
Message 46 of 65
latest reply

So far it is still optional on Etsy shipping. 

Message 47 of 65
latest reply

You can find all the codes on Canada Post

Message 48 of 65
latest reply

here's  the     story.............

IF  you  ship  from     canada ,  and  print  shipping  labels  online  through  PAYPAL ,      as  of   extremely  recently ,   it  will prompt  you  for a   "  HS"  code........

HARMONIZED  SYSTEM  CODE

here's   one  handy   canada  post  link :

http://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/wtz/business/findHsCode?execution=e3s1

* this is   simply a    classification  to  assist  and  streamline    customs  as  to  "  what"  the item   in the package  is *

items  are classified  by a  numeric  code:  

this  is a    NEW     procedure  that    CANADA  POST    was   targeting  to  introduce  on  april   1st  of  this  year....however ,   the  changes  have  arrived a   couple   of  days    early  in the  ebay  and  paypal  sites ,   (   causing  much  confusion )     and  those  sites  will be  updated    soon  to reflect  the  new    changes  and  information  to  same....so  watch  for  it...........

🙂

cheers Smiley Happy

Message 49 of 65
latest reply

@great.white.north.collections wrote:

here's  the     story.............

this  is a    NEW     procedure  that    CANADA  POST    was   targeting  to  introduce  on  april   1st  of  this  year....however ,   the  changes  have  arrived a   couple   of  days    early  in the  ebay  and  paypal  sites ,   (   causing  much  confusion )     and  those  sites  will be  updated    soon  to reflect  the  new    changes  and  information  to  same....so  watch  for  it...........

An early April Fool's joke by Canada Post that is not so funny ... Smiley Wink

Message 50 of 65
latest reply

Does any one here know if other countries require this code?  

i understand that big companies might use them but that's not in the same league as requiring these codes for eBay type items.

I've never seen one on any of the items I receive from all over the world. 

Has anyone?

Message 51 of 65
latest reply

It is not so easy. I just had to mail three little hand crochet looms. The total weight was under 150 grams. If I put crochet looms in the description, up comes sewing or knitting machine, nothing else. I have no other name for them, so had to put the code for sewing machine. If customs check the code, they will wonder how I got a knitting machine in an envelope!

Message 52 of 65
latest reply

"NEW     procedure  that    CANADA  POST    was   targeting  to  introduce "

Actually, it is more, much more than Canada Post.

Taking a look around the globe, you will see the same requirements for HS Code (Harmonized System Tariff Code)

For example, the Royal Mail, in the United Kingdom requires HS Code for commercial shipments leaving Europe:

http://www.royalmail.com/business/help-and-support/I-need-advice-about-customs-requirements

How to complete declaration forms for commercial mail

When sending commercial mail, include the World Customs Organisation Opens in new window Harmonised System Tariff Code and country of origin fields in the same order as individual items are listed in the 'quantity’ and ‘detailed description of contents' fields.

To help you classify your goods, information is available on the Gov UK website Opens in new window .

You are strongly advised to attach a copy of the commercial invoice to the outside of the package, using a plastic envelope (such as an SP126, available at Post Office® branches), as this will help Customs clear your item.

More useful information can be found on the HM Revenue & Customs Opens in new window website and you can also contact the National Advice Service (NAS) on: 0845 010 9000 for assistance and copies of their publications, including Customs Notice 143 – a guide for international postal users.
Leaving details off customs declarations can lead to delays, or can in some instances lead to your item being returned to sender or even seized by customs.
It is essential that the name and address of the sender appear on either the customs declaration or the item being sent overseas.

In Australia: http://www.austrade.gov.au/Export/About-Exporting/Exporting-FAQs/Customs-tariff

Etc... etc...

And yes, selling on eBay for money is considered a commercial activity.  Now, all these changes will not take place around the globe overnight. But... be ready.  If you want to be in the mail order business (that is what selling on eBay is all about), you will need to understand the ever changing requirements of the business when dealing with exports outside our borders.

Message 53 of 65
latest reply

yes.....thanks

very  obvious  information........this is  nothing  new..................

these  changes  have  been in the works  for  quite   some  time........and  are  being   introduced   slowly   ,  so  people  have  the time  to educate  themselves  to  same.........

simple.....

ignorance  is  no  excuse............keep  yourselves  updated  and   fully  informed   with  your  countries   postal  service    rules /  changes  and   regulations............

it's  simple......................AND  FREE  !!!!

Smiley Wink

Message 54 of 65
latest reply

- several countries ( postal services ) now implementing a " universal" customs coding system...................to streamline and better speed up processing.......that's is what it's about.....
Message 55 of 65
latest reply

Yes, the coding system is Universal.

However, it doesn't seem to be used Universally (yet) by ebay type sellers (if anyone).

I just checked packages from the UK, Australia, and France and none has an HS code on it.

Perhaps they started a few days ago as well?

In  any case, if in time if it becomes mandatory around the globe no doubt we will be provided with a reasonable method to locate the proper codes.........

OR......... more likely an automatic system based on item title which won't even require a nod from us will add the code to our labels.

For now, we can just do our best and not worry too much about something that most countries won't even notice.

I doubt that it will be taken very seriously for the types of items most eBayers buy and sell  unless and until the USA/USPS requires the codes for both incoming and outgoing mail.

Message 56 of 65
latest reply

triber - the HS is organized by what things are made of - if your hand crochet looms are plastic, first look at G - VII, Plastics, Rubbers, and Articles Made From These Materials.  It's not likely that a hand crochet loom will be actually specified, so it will be general, as in not elsewhere specified.  That means it will probably be found at the end of a section.  Under G - VII, go to Plastics and Articles Thereof (as opposed to Rubber). As in every section, the list starts off with raw materials, various actual plastic materials, not manufactured objects.  Skim right down to where you see articles begin to be described.  You won't find "crochet looms", so you go to the bottom,

392690 - articles of plastic, nes (not elsewhere specified)

You now have your 1st six numbers of the code, and you don't need anything further.

Message 57 of 65
latest reply

maggiebvinage: No, they are metal, so I looked up metal and there are 28 options, most of which I have never heard of. I have no idea what kind of metal it is.

If anyone has a answer as to which category to choose for nylon and acrylic yarn I would be grateful, again, too many options.

Message 58 of 65
latest reply

When I googled filament, it is often used to describe thin wire. I would not want to put that as the category. I have been knitting for 66 years, and never heard of yarn having filaments.

That would be one definition. Did you also check a paper dictionary? There are synonyms.

Message 59 of 65
latest reply

We can usually default to steel if it is shiny and not obviously aluminum

731990 - Knitting needle, bodkin, crochet hook & similar article, for use in the hand, 1/s. nes - my first choice, since this more or less captures its usage

732690 - the last resort, articles, of iron or steel, nes

Message 60 of 65
latest reply