Will Ebay.ca remove the ability to list in US dollars sometime in the near future

After reading on the boards as well as some of the comments on the weekly board, how many sellers think this will become permanent as it is in all other countries? Only listing in Can dollars on the Canadian site.

Could be an interesting discussion

Message 1 of 89
latest reply
88 REPLIES 88

Re: Will Ebay.ca remove the ability to list in US dollars sometime in the near future

Maybe they will force us to list in $C on Ebay.ca and take away all but the 20/20 for the US.

How many Canadian sellers will lose TRS status as a result.

They may also take away our tracking requirement exception on .ca.

If we list on .com, no tracking in a lot of cases, no TRS either

Message 21 of 89
latest reply

Re: Will Ebay.ca remove the ability to list in US dollars sometime in the near future

They'll never get rid of .ca, short of being run out of china they've never done taht anywhere.  Too many country specific issues with shipping, taxes, marketing.   Wouldn't be at all surpised to see CAFR go as its never been used as intended and ebay has doen nothign with it since Banks left 

If you read around online, the 2 big complaints from Canadian buyers that always come up are import fees when they buy from elsewhere, and having to pay an exchange rate premium to buy from Canadians.  No other Canadain site including amzn does that happen.  Plus add that international shipping rates from and too (from USA) Canada have gone up far faster then domestic.  It makes sense for them to want to promote domestic sales, conducted in CAN$, as a better way to attract buyers.

Its just a few people here who claim "other countries only understand US$" etc.   Ebay has never made any such claim.  Their minimal claim "15% more likely to sell" preceeded paypal when it was almost impossible for an American to send CAN$

I'd just assume they not change it though. When I go to list something and see a Canadian seller with it in US$, I list mine in CANT the equivalent plus a couple dollars higher.  And usually get the sale first. 

Message 22 of 89
latest reply

Another point, Rose, that the advantage of FREE SHIPPING program will not work for us when we will be forced to switch to com.

Right now I can afford FREE SHIPPING for many domestically shipped items because to be honest I do not have many Canadian buyers.

Therefore the FVF on shipping which is not charged on these items is very right for me.

But when we will list on com the domestic shipping will be USA and this will not be even closely affordable.

And we all will be forced to pay the FVF on shipping for all items.

Message 23 of 89
latest reply

Another problem concerning combined shipping on .com and .ca.

If I list on .ca and .com in different currencies, the combined shipping discounts will only be picked up for either the US of Can currency but not both.

Makes it very difficult to list in one store with $US on .com and $C on .ca as only 1 will have the combined shipping discount as you can't set up both currencies.

It would have to be one or the other.

Only mentioning this in case people have not considered this issue

Message 24 of 89
latest reply

As far as I remember we can not make one payment for com and ca items - two separate payments are required and therefore $.30 +%-age for each payment
Message 25 of 89
latest reply

I am talking discounts, not payments. If you set up combined shipping rules, it is only good for 1 currency, not both. Not combining payments from different sites.

If you set up combined shipping rulles, they are only in 1 currency.

eg: if your combined shipping is in US dollars and you list in US dollars it will calculate the combined shipping. If you list in US dollars and Canadian dollars, it will only figure out combined shipping for items listed in US dollars but will not calculate combined shipping for any items listed in Canadian dollars.

Message 26 of 89
latest reply

the CAD default listing currency kinda surprised  me this week and I didn't notice had to go change some items prices that  I have listed as free shipping all except for one item which already had a bid on it.

even if i go list a similar item the default currency gets changed back to CAD.

just something new to get used to.

Message 27 of 89
latest reply

And if you use combined shipping and have it set using US dollars, it will not work with items listed in Can $

Message 28 of 89
latest reply

Just more of the stuff programmers at Ebay do not think of. Just do it and problems and repercussions be !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Message 29 of 89
latest reply

@dutchman48 wrote:

They do not get the store equivalent, only 20/20 on other sites which from I have been told, everyone now can get.

That seems odd. How do you know that a U.S. seller with a store would not be able to get the equivalent listings on .ca?

Message 30 of 89
latest reply

Many books have been written about the War of 1812.

If the author is Canadian... then Canada won.

If the author is a US citizen, born in the US ... then the US won.

But just a minute.... If the author is British,  then the conflict in North America  is viewed in the context of what was happening in Europe.... it was a minor skirmish.....

We in North America won... because of who we are and how we live together....

Message 31 of 89
latest reply

I asked on the US boards. Canada is the only one to have that privilege and I am sure it will go away in the not too distant future

Message 32 of 89
latest reply

So, let me get this right: It appears eBay will likely force us to list only in $Cdn on .ca in the near future.  Yet many of us who mainly sell to the U.S. prefer to list in $US for obvious reasons of profitability.  At that point, the only option will be to list on eBay.com.    In other words, the only way Canadian sellers will really be able to make a profit (if you sell largely to the U.S.) will be to list on .com.

Although I would prefer that we continue to have the option of listing in either currency, I don't understand your reasoning. Why couldn't you make a profit if you list in Canadian dollars? Many sellers do.

Is it really just a coincidence that the recommended "workaround" for a longstanding and serious problem that we're told eBay will never fix (the ".com cart disconnect"), has been for Canadian sellers to list on .com exclusively?  This would be a absurd suggestion if it were not that eBay might have other motives in trying to direct more Canadian sellers onto .com, i.e. to ultimately phase out (or at least pare down) eBay.ca.  

Consider this: perhaps this was the true reason eBay never resolved the cart disconnect -- they never intended to in the first place.  One might even cynically say that the disconnect was a deliberate step toward getting more Canadian sellers to list on .com.   

The .com cart does not work with any other site so it affects many other sellers, not just Canadians.  I can't imagine them setting up the .com cart and/or not  redesigning it just so that more Canadians would list on .com.  Unless of course they want all international sellers to list there too.

Message 33 of 89
latest reply

As a seller of books, listing on eBay.com is not an option  because of the maximum allowable cost for shipping is low at about $4.00..

There is another situation that applies to Canadian sellers that sell book.... all in relation to GST/HST.

For books GST = HST .. Books are exempt from provincial PST  and the provincial component of HST.....  but with shipping the full HST Is charged.

I would like to calculate taxes separately for books and postage on an invoice......  Cannot do.

There is another something that eBay does allow me to do....

The bottom-line is that eBay calculates fees on the Tax my Canadian buyers have to pay ... I have to include all taxes in the price of the book sold and shipping....FVF is calculated on the total of book price plus shipping....

Wonder what Revenue Canada would say about this...

-----------------------------

The cart situation.... Taxing books separate from postage...and then what.

If I have to list in Canadian dollars.....  what happens to current listings.

Will I have to edit the listings.... or will someone wave a magic wand and all of my prices....  the item  and then postage 

Message 34 of 89
latest reply

Taxation of postage on tax exempt (food) or partially exempt (books) products has always been a challenge.

Canada Post is obligated to charge tax GST or HST on its taxable services.  The content of the package does not change the taxable nature of the service they provide

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpo/mc/personal/productsservices/collectionofsalestax.jsf

Now, let's say you sell a tax exempt product such as basic grocery.  The product is not taxable (*) in Canada - no GST, no HST, no PST.  That was easy.  However, when purchasing postage for shipping the parcel within Canada, tax will be charged (GST or HST depending on location and service selected). There is nothing anyone can do about it.  The last thing we need is for every shipper to declare the taxable nature of every product we ship through Canada Post!

eBay (or any other venue) has nothing to do with it and there is nothing they can do to solve this tax complication.

(*) Technically, basic grocery is taxed at the zero rate (0%).

Message 35 of 89
latest reply

pjcdn2005 wrote:

So, let me get this right: It appears eBay will likely force us to list only in $Cdn on .ca in the near future.  Yet many of us who mainly sell to the U.S. prefer to list in $US for obvious reasons of profitability.  At that point, the only option will be to list on eBay.com.    In other words, the only way Canadian sellers will really be able to make a profit (if you sell largely to the U.S.) will be to list on .com.

Although I would prefer that we continue to have the option of listing in either currency, I don't understand your reasoning. Why couldn't you make a profit if you list in Canadian dollars? Many sellers do.

My reasoning is this: the nature of my items is such that I have never had more than 10% Canadian buyers, even during the years when I listed exclusively in $Cdn, and even with offering free shipping domestically for the past year or so.  

The buyer base for my type of items has always been enormously larger in the U.S. than in Canada, perhaps because of the greater interest in historical costume, perhaps just the larger population with more discretionary income.  Interestingly, if you sell knitting patterns, one of the best places to find buyers is Australia (who would have thought?!).  

Furthermore, almost all my competitors are American, and if list in $Cdn, I must always be watching currency fluctuations to keep my prices in line with those sellers.  Listing in $US for my primarily US market has been simpler and less time-consuming for me, and of course clearer for my US buyers.  

In fact, my US sales shot up significantly when I switched to listing in $US, which is why I've stuck with it.  I can only deduce that sales to the US would slump badly if I were obliged to list in $Cdn, and I know from previous experience that listing in $Cdn would not attract significantly more Canadian buyers to make up the difference. I'm just not in the type of business that has a big Canadian customer base.  I'm sure there are many, many Canadian sellers who are in the same boat. 

I know you list in $US -- what is your reasoning?

Is it really just a coincidence that the recommended "workaround" for a longstanding and serious problem that we're told eBay will never fix (the ".com cart disconnect"), has been for Canadian sellers to list on .com exclusively?  This would be a absurd suggestion if it were not that eBay might have other motives in trying to direct more Canadian sellers onto .com, i.e. to ultimately phase out (or at least pare down) eBay.ca.  

Consider this: perhaps this was the true reason eBay never resolved the cart disconnect -- they never intended to in the first place.  One might even cynically say that the disconnect was a deliberate step toward getting more Canadian sellers to list on .com.   

The .com cart does not work with any other site so it affects many other sellers, not just Canadians.  I can't imagine them setting up the .com cart and/or not  redesigning it just so that more Canadians would list on .com.  Unless of course they want all international sellers to list there too.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Yes, I am aware the .com cart does not work with other sites.  My point is that few other nations of eBay sellers are as dependent upon U.S. sales as we are (or as able, due to language and other commonalities, to conduct business with the U.S.).  We have always had a special commercial relationship with the U.S.

I'm not saying eBay set up or redesigned the .com cart only in order to make more Canadians list on .com.  I'm simply saying that there was no reason not to introduce changes that helped to create the "disconnect" -- for example IPR -- because the disconnect would work in favour of their longer-term strategy to either wind down eBay.ca to one degree or another, and/or to move a lot more Canadians over to .com.  

Perhaps what eBay wants is to entice those Canadian sellers whose buyers are primarily in the U.S. to list exclusively on .com (in $US), and let the Canadian sellers who have a good domestic buyer base stay on .ca and list in $Cdn.  If you think about it, this would make long-term fiscal sense for eBay, for many reasons. 

Message 36 of 89
latest reply

eBay's invoice allows for one value for GST/HST

If a ship a book to Ontario 

HST on the book is 5 % .....   Books are exempt from the provincial component  of HST

The HST on postage is 13 %...

Cannot apply HST  as two different values on an eBay invoice.  

Message 37 of 89
latest reply

"The HST on postage is 13 %..."

This is where it gets very complicated as it depends of where you ship from, where you ship to and, more importantly, what Canada Post service you use and, finally, how you purchase your postage!

For example, if you live in MB and purchase postage stamps at the post office, you will only be charged 5% GST, the rate applicable in Manitoba.

Now, please bear with me as it gets messy from here.

A parcel sent at the post office from MB to ON would be charged

5% GST only if shipped regular Parcel Post (rate based on province of sender (seller))

13% HST if shipped Expedited or XpressPost (based on province of receiver (buyer))

In no instance is the content of the package taken into account when calculating the tax to be charged on postage.

Now, we all know eBay does not have any way to properly charge tax on shipping.  Sellers have to acquire knowledge of what tax is actually applicable, and try to work with it.

Incorporating shipping into the price ("free shipping") solves the tax on shipping problem.

Message 38 of 89
latest reply

In fact, my US sales shot up significantly when I switched to listing in $US, which is why I've stuck with it.  I can only deduce that sales to the US would slump badly if I were obliged to list in $Cdn, and I know from previous experience that listing in $Cdn would not attract significantly more Canadian buyers to make up the difference.

I don't know when you switched to listing in U.S. but I'm sure that it was a while ago and there could have been other factors involved that made a difference in your sales. For all you know that may have changed now so in order for any of us to know for sure if it would affect our sales, I think that we would have to do some controlled tests.  To say that "the only way Canadian sellers will really be able to make a profit (if you sell largely to the U.S.) will be to list on .com." is an assumption at this point. 

When an American is shopping on .com and seeing all prices in U.S. $ I really wonder if they even think twice about the currency that the item is listed in or if they just go ahead and buy the item. Perhaps they do but I don't think that there is any proof that the listing currency is a factor in whether or not they purchase the item.

I know you list in $US -- what is your reasoning?

I list on both sites. The listings I have on .ca are listed in Canadian dollars as they tend to be more directed towards Canadians. The listings that I have on .com  have to be in U.S. $.  I switched from .com to .ca two or three years ago when they introduced the cart but later on moved some of my items back to .ca so that I could list them in Canadian dollars.

Message 39 of 89
latest reply

My sales as little as they have been lately are usually 90-95 % US and 5 % Canada and else where  so I have always listed in US funds since I started on E-Bay so myself I don't think it would increase my sales in Canadian funds selling mostly to the US any way. My sales out side of North America died a few months back. I am a registered  in Canada and I don't collect tax from my Canadian sales and the end of the month I usually come very close to breaking even some months I pay some months I get back.

Message 40 of 89
latest reply