eBay Global shipping program?

Anybody else get invited to this?

They deal with all customs forms, etc by shipping to a US address?  Feedback is protected from low ratings etc?

What the heck are they talking about?

I said yes, and now they are going to revise all my listings.  I don't understand this nebulous program.  Can anybody sum it up gracefully?

Thank you!

There is no reasoning with the unreasonable.
Message 1 of 322
latest reply
321 REPLIES 321

Re: eBay Global shipping program?

That's Odd ............. isn't it?

Pitney-Bowes is selling a shipping method which comes with real tracking, isn't it?

Isn't that what buyers are paying for?  Part of the deal?

Are buyers are paying for an upgraded method of shipping and getting promised the service that goes with it................. including real tracking from scan point to scan point...........

BUT items are actually getting shipped via  less expensvie method while P-B pockets the spare change?

It's possible.

TTYTT, I don't think any of will ever know until we actually buy something from the U.S. via a seller who uses the GSP.

I'm tempted to buy that US $64.90 guitar pedal just to see what happens (that's the one that says, "Import charges: US $11.52 (amount confirmed at checkout)".

I know under the GSP U.S. sellers ship the item to Pitney-Bowes, and apparently have four business days to do so. Then Pitney-Bowes does the rest and actually ships it to the buyer.

I'm really curious to see what carrier shows up at my door (Canada Post, UPS or FedEx), what the "amount confirmed at checkout" is, and what kind of super-duper improved tracking and speedy delivery is now in place.

I guess tossing the dice with a $90 to $100 purchase is the only true way to find out. Then I can report back here in three weeks (by which time the thread will probably be cold, and who knows how many people will read the results or even care).

Sigh again . . .

Message 161 of 322
latest reply

I don't think that's possible.  If the item price is $66.52 the total can't be $78.27 if shipped via the GSP.

I has to be much higher.

Well . . . just went ahead and ordered the $65 guitar pedal from a GSP seller in the U.S. We'll see what the final lowdown is when it arrives, but I phoned eBay service and actually placed the order while on the phone with a rep.

Rep said the import charges shown on the Buy It Now pre-confirmation screen would be close, if not exact, to the final amount. Turns out it was exact. Also, rep said taxes were included in the total. As of now on eBay.com you can see the cost of import charges right on the item listing page (which makes no sense because a domestic U.S. buyer wouldn't care). But if a Canadian buyer wants to see the exact import charges before they buy, just call up the listing on eBay.com and you'll see the charges right on the listing.

That function isn't in place for eBay.ca yet (they're working on it). On eBay.ca, you can indeed see the import charges with Buy It Now before clicking "Commit To Buy". But, it wasn't clear how that would work for auction listings where you'll only see the import charges after winning the auction.

Also, Pitney-Bowes uses whatever carrier they deem appropriate for the item (UPS, FedEX or USPS), but the cost doesn't change regardless (apparently, but we'll see).

The one thing about the GSP which in theory is slightly advantages or neutral is that the U.S. seller only has to pay the domestic cost of shipping the item to Pitney-Bowes. This in theory makes the shipping cost portion to Canada more-or-less equal to the shipping cost within the U.S. Again, in theory, this should offset the fact that Pitney-Bowes collects taxes and levies some fees. In my case, after 12% tax, the extra fee was about $2.00. So, if a savings in shipping cost to Canada offsets the fact that taxes are now always being paid, then it could be a wash (but I'm not holding my breath on that one). But, the $24 total for shipping, import taxes and tax is actually less than USPS Priority Mail International which would have been about $30 to $35 (not including taxes if Canada Post collects). The $24 isn't as cheap as First Class International by a long shot, but if taxes are collected, it would be about the same.

Also, the "apparent" reason for the cheaper upfront international shipping cost portion is that eBay.com and Pitney-Bowes have made a sweetheart agreement (similar to Canada Post and eBay.ca), where Pitney offers a discount to eBay.com and gets the volume in exchange (and also a bit of gravy in fees remitted by eBay). As U.S. sellers know, eBay.com has offered a 50% FVF promotion to those who "don't opt-out" of the GSP. Whether this will lead to a permanent FVF discount is up in the air. But, the theory is eBay will attract more U.S. sellers who ship internationally if they get a discount on selling fees. And as we know, one of eBay's biggest problems since raising the selling fees and charging them on the shipping cost as well has been decreased stock, less listings, and therefore more buyers and sellers going elsewhere.

Keep in mind, that some U.S. sellers have to use a faster domestic service to meet their obligation to get the item to the Pitney-Bowes facility in Kentucky within 4 business days. Also, some U.S. sellers may still be charging International Rates, even though they only have to pay a domestic shipping rate. That was the case with $350 microphone I was considering . . . the seller was still charging $54.79 shipping for a small item that probably only cost $15 to send within the U.S.

I have a reference number for the support call, so if the pedal shows up with any tax or extra fees owing, I suppose I can call and pout, but at least there's a precise record of the rep saying all fees and charges were covered entirely upon checkout.

The breakdown was as I said before:

Price: US $64.90 (Approximately C $66.52)
Shipping: To Canada -- US $12.50 -- Expedited Shipping (International Priority Shipping)
Import charges: US $11.52 (amount confirmed at checkout)

When I Committed To Buy, the "amount confirmed at checkout" notation changed to "No additional import charges at delivery" on my invoice.

So, we'll see. If anyone is around in a couple of weeks, I'll report back with the final scoop.

Message 162 of 322
latest reply

Just an update and a couple of more thoughts on the GSP test I'm doing with a $65 guitar pedal from the U.S. to Canada. Sorry to everyone for beating it to death, but it really is important to international and Canadian buyers who want to buy items from the U.S.

Anyway . . . after doing some research, I feel the GSP program seems to work fine for smaller and relatively inexpensive items when U.S. sellers peg the shipping cost to reflect a domestic "within the U.S." rate that is no more than what it costs to get the item to Pitney-Bowes. This offsets the extra Pitney-Bowes fees, and the fact tax will always be collected from the buyer (as opposed to direct USPS shipping, which often results in no collection of tax or fees . . . I know that's not "to the letter of the law", but it's the fact . . . and, 99% of U.S. buyers never pay a penny in tax when I sell to them, so I'm sure you can understand the viewpoint). Anyway . . . as I posted previously, under the GSP a $65 guitar pedal will cost me $12.50 in shipping and $11.52 in import charges and tax. The $11.52 is right about what I'd pay in tax domestically (12% of the shipping and item price = $9.30). So, the extra fees under the GSP are only about $2.00 for a $65 item.

But, I just did a check for higher-priced items, and the story is different for those. There's a big enough difference to convince me that the GSP program (along with UPS and FedEx) is definitely not the most desirable shipping option regarding more expensive items for Canadian buyers.

I took a look at an amplifier I would consider buying that cost $1,659.00 from a U.S. seller who uses the GSP. The import charges and tax via the GSP for an item of that price is $338.93. The additional shipping cost under the GSP is a very fair $40.45.

BUT, if you peg a direct USPS shipping rate at $90 and add the $1659 price of the amp you get $1749. If that amp was shipped via USPS and declared for full value + shipping, and IF tax was collected by Canada Post, it would only be an extra $209.08. Add the extra $50 shipping cost (the difference between USPS shipping of $90 and GSP shipping of $40), and if shipped via USPS, and IF tax were collected by Canada Post, it would cost an extra $279.08 ($269.08 + $10 flat rate Canada Post processing fee = $279.08).

Therefore, the difference in cost using the GSP vs USPS is an extra $59.85 ($338.93 - $279.08 = $59.85). That's definitely an accurate estimate within $5 to $10 either way.

Bottom line . . . even though an extra $55 or $60 isn't the end of the world, why would anyone in their right mind throw that money away for nothing? Would you? Would you expect a customer not to care about $55 or $60? If you bought something, would you just agree to toss $55 or $60 of your hard-earned money down the toilet?

Didn't think so. I won't.

Cripes . . . I can probably order the same amplifier I was referring to within Canada (brand-new & with full warranty) for about $1,700 plus 12% tax = $1904.00. If I bought it from a U.S. GSP seller, it would cost me $2037.00. Times are tight enough, so why even bother listing it internationally via GSP when your customers are going to see as clear as night and day they're getting fleeced out of a chunk of change by the GSP? $60 puts gas in my car for a month or so . . . $130 keeps me in guitar strings for a year. It's not a fortune, but who would pay $55 to $130 to get smacked in the head with unnecessary fees?

IMHO, U.S. sellers should opt-out of the GSP. It serves no purpose, had no advantages whatsoever for your international customers (for whom the GSP was implemented), and in fact costs your customers more money and will surely decrease your international sales. Someone is getting the extra money (Pitney-Bowes, eBay, who knows), but I'm sure it isn't you the seller, and I know it isn't the buyer.

Plus . .  it just p***es buyers off when they get their pockets picked for no justifiable reason. That's not good for business.

Message 163 of 322
latest reply

Regardless, All I know is USPS shipping costs have went up approx. 50% since January, now we have to deal with mandatory import charges, otherwise we would not need to pay, are you kidding me? It used to be cheaper to buy from USA, now not. On top of the FVF on shipping for sellers, I don't know what to think anymore!

I only noticed these charges when I went to make a purchase, and only noticed this after I purchased the item and went to pay for it. The seller sent me a revised invoice without the GSP charges without a problem. I bought the item for $13.75 plus shipping which was $6.00, the GSP charges were over $8.00, needless to say, I was surprised!

In the ebay weekly hour boards a question was asked regarding whether is was a violation for a buyer and seller to agree to avoid these GSP charges and send a regular invoice without it, the ebay team went on to say that once the auction/item has ended, we cannot avoid these charges, this is incorrect. They also went on to say that these GSP charges in the long run would make it cheaper for us, that is also not true, extra charges are never cheaper to anyone.

Avoid anyone who uses this GSP, unnecessary charges, for items you wouldn't normally pay taxes and duty on. It's very very rare I get charged duty and taxes for items, only more expenisve items in boxes, never lower priced envelope items, which I usually purchase.

Thanks fo listening!

Message 164 of 322
latest reply

trepfra
Community Member

he Global shipping program is one way for the American seller to rapidly p.o.  Canadian and other buyers.  I have yet to pay duty on any of my purchases and have had no problems with the usps shipping  But paid for so called duty on a parcel which took longer to arrive and had no indication that it had eve gone through custums and as an retired Federal Government employee I do know what to look for. To American sellers a word of advice your ratings will go down and complaints increase if you either sign up for this or continue to use it

Message 165 of 322
latest reply

i live in canada and this is a damn rip off!!!!!!! i put money on my prepaid visa 2 days ago to buy a new car stereo next thing i know 4 payments of $30 to 'global shipping' in my paypal account!!??? $125 gone! seller on ebay says they havent got their payment. log into paypal today and now my damn account is limit!! this global shipping crap is a damn scam!!!!!!!! iv been on ebay for over 3 years, and i am NOT very happy now

Message 166 of 322
latest reply

"4 payments of $30 to 'global shipping'"

Something is wrong somewhere.

The listing on eBay.ca shows

Shipping: US $14.54 

Import charges: To be provided at checkout

If you check the listing on eBay.com

Shipping: US $14.54 

Import charges: (estimated) $14.78

If the charges shown on eBay (14.78) are correct, the "import charges" would be a bit less than if shipped through USPS/Canada Post where taxes (HST/GST if applicable) and brokerage fee ($9.95) are collected at time of delivery.

I do not see how PayPal could have allowed four charges of $30.00 each to your account.

I suggest you call them immediately (toll free)

Message 167 of 322
latest reply

I have used this program a few times as a buyer and I think it's great. I usually only use it when they show all the fees up front, and lots do.

A lot of times the package goes by fed ex, then is transferred to CANADA POST when crossing the border to get rid of the nasty brokerage fees, leaving only duty and or taxes , which is normal. Again you must ensure that duties and taxes are up front so you can see it.

If it seems cheap, the package is being transferred from fed ex to Canada post for duty and tax clearing.

Canada post delivers the package in this case and it takes about two weeks which is actually normal for delivery across the border.

I buy using the global program all the time. Never buy where it says fees will be calculated at checkout, buy where it says the fees up front on the listing.

Not all packages get transferred from fed ex to Canada post, this is why you need to check the upfront costs displayed when you purchase. Chances are if they are not displayed the package will get cleared by UPS or fed ex, and you will get dinged the high brokerage fees.

Hope this helps someone.

Message 168 of 322
latest reply

Check my feedback and see purchases I made from obcon and bestchoiceproducts. These three purchases came from global shipping program, Import charges were displayed up front on the listings, and that's what I paid.

All three packages were trackable and I could see the package getting transferred from fed ex to Canada post. Once in Canada the packages were tracked by Canada post alone.

I was extremely happy to see this service starting to happen, as I always told ebay the border is the problem for Canadian and USA sales, and a solution to the border problem had to be found. It sure seems they found a great solution here.

Again don't buy if the fees are not shown upfront. As if shown at checkout you may find yourself wanting to cancel cause you don't know the fee's before you bought.

This is a great service, as even if the fees are high if the item is being cleared by fed ex etc,  at least you know what your getting into upfront, and nothing extra at the door.

Message 169 of 322
latest reply

Not all packages get transferred from fed ex to Canada post, this is why you need to check the upfront costs displayed when you purchase. Chances are if they are not displayed the package will get cleared by UPS or fed ex, and you will get dinged the high brokerage fees.

The upfront costs will always show if the seller is using the gsp IF you are looking at the item on .com. If you are looking on .ca however, it will always say Import Charges to be provided at checkout.

You shouldn't ever have to pay extra charges upon delivery if you paid the charges up front.

I do agree that the gsp does work for some items...especially large or heavier items. For example, item 360581274197.  Total shipping and import charges were around $39. I would guess that it would be at least that much just for shipping if a seller shipped it themselves. Plus there would then be a possibility of a $10 CP charge plus taxes upon delivery. Also, that seller normally ships with UPS according to the info below so charges upon delivery would be even higher.

Item 40043053975 - $17 for shipping and import charges. I don't think it could be shipped for less? However, the buyer bought two of these and I don't think that the gsp will ship more than one item together. Perhaps in this case the items were too big to be shipped together anyway but I doubt that it is the case in all situations.

I'm really not crazy about the program but I don't think that it should be dismissed as "always" being bad or more expensive.

Message 170 of 322
latest reply

It would be nice to know how the GSP import fees would be returned on an item that had to be returned to a seller that offers refunds.  

Message 171 of 322
latest reply

Apparently, USPS First Class can be added as a shipping option to an item listed with the GSP, even though the item already had a bid. A seller just did it for me and I feel more comfortable bidding on an item , rather than getting into complications if it had to be returned. Good news.

Message 172 of 322
latest reply

Well, the USPS option was on the listing and now it's not, sorry.

Message 173 of 322
latest reply

I see why sometimes I was not seeing the total cost now, thankyou. Best to be on ebay.com when making the purchase so it shows up ahead of time.

Again I must say this is an excellent program, and I found my shipping costs through this program to be cheaper than most direct offers given through fed ex and ups. The biggest deal is the avoiding of the brokerage and tax on brokerage, by transferring from fed ex to Canada post for clearing and final delivery.

If you know how to calculate your import costs. Most items incur gst and pst, and if its made in china there is an extra 6.5 percent duty. Therefore you check your final costs on the import charges displayed on the listing to see if they agree with your calculation. Any item made in china will be approx. extra 20 percent import charges , and if not it will be around 13 percent depending on your province. If the fees shown are way more than this calculation, your item will get delivered by a carrier that charges big clearing fees. If not then you know Canada post must be delivering it, otherwise your import costs would never be that cheap.

Another advantage of the program is that it is always cheaper to pay your costs upfront vs paying cod at the door. Around another 10 bucks or more avoided in cod fees etc.

I usually only buy now with the GSP or if the seller uses DHL. as dhl has only a 10.00 clearing fee for brokerage charges. Most heavier items you cant even buy with usps as you used to be able to do, as the usps has priced themselves out of the market.

As a buyer I must say this is not a bad program and I recommend it for any Canadian buying. Canadians cant use this for selling yet, however another advantage of the program is that customs documentation and labeling etc is taken out of the seller hands. The program makes it easier therefore for more people to sell international. Many scared before to do so just because of the paperwork , which never was much, but it has been enough to deter people to ship their products out of country. This makes more products available to us Canadians to buy, and we all know how hard we work to save money buying stuff from the USA, because other Canadians just want to rip us off.

Message 174 of 322
latest reply

Thegreatcanadianbuyer

Why would i want to pay more for slower delivery and import fees that aren't even applicable to an item ?

It may be ok for some bulky higher priced  items, as in your case, but i doubt if you can apply that to the majority of items under 100.00 purchased by Canadians using USPS . Maybe you could show us some examples.

Here's an 18.00 item that will have 31.00 GSP charges on it if i bought it. If the price goes up so would the GSP. Total US49.00.

With a USPS First Class Package Intl{ they do tracking} shipping charge of around 12-15.00 the total cost would be US30-33.00. So the GSP item, which is offered, would be 16.-19.00 more. Big % and most likely slower delivery.

Have you had any experience returning any items, would be nice to hear how the money is refunded ?

Sorry to hear you feel Canadian sellers are ripping you off.

Item # 271195235818

Message 175 of 322
latest reply

Forgot to mention if the above item was being shipped with USPS and i bought a second similar item from the seller, i would likely be able to combine shipping for a small cost, usually a 3-5.00 addition. Most sellers are happy to combine shipping if buying 2 or more items like this.

With the GSP combined shipping isn't allowed yet, so the total shipping and import charges on 2 or more items would be much more than using USPS.

Message 176 of 322
latest reply

because other Canadians just want to rip us off.

Wow.

Please explain why you would say that.

I don't understand how they decide on the shipping charges for gsp. The birdcage..item 360581274197..is heavier than Item # 271195235818 which is a mens shirt.The birdcage is

$160 vs $18-$50 for the shirt but shipping for the cage is $16 and for the shirt it is $21.

There's no rhyme or reason to that.

Message 177 of 322
latest reply

I don't understand their reasoning either. Maybe the bulky and heavy items will be their niche.

I would have bought the shirt at 25.00, before it was relisted, if he could have figured out how to change his shipping option to USPS FCI.

Message 178 of 322
latest reply

The US sellers are being lured into this programme with a 50% discount on the FVFs until the end of Dec. I agree that this is a total rip-off for Canadian buyers. I have had hundreds of parcels come from the US and only a handful were charged customs. I have bought a couple of items through this program that cost around $30.00, I was charged a rip-off customs fee, the parcel takes longer from all the extra handling from being mailed twice.  You could even tell that it was opened and not taped back up very  well.   All we can do is to tell these sellers that we are not being helped by this, as they are being told, we are being ripped off. I am boycotting the sellers that use this so called "service".

Message 179 of 322
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

I don't understand how they decide on the shipping charges for gsp. The birdcage..item 360581274197..is heavier than Item # 271195235818 which is a mens shirt.The birdcage is

$160 vs $18-$50 for the shirt but shipping for the cage is $16 and for the shirt it is $21.

There's no rhyme or reason to that.

Here's a few ideas just off the top of my head:

1.  The bird cage and the shirt may not be being shipped the same way.  The bird cage may be going by ground, while the shirt may be going by air.

2.  The bulk of the "import charges" associated with the shirt may be getting folded into the shipping charge rather than with the import charges as they would be with the bird cage.

3.  One or both of the sellers messed up in inputting the weight and size of the item.

Message 180 of 322
latest reply