Comments about the Global Shipping Program

Feel free to share your thoughts about the Global Shipping Program here. 

A few questions to get the ball rolling:

• What has worked well for you with the Global Shipping Program?
  • Any ideas to help improve the experience for Canadian buyers?
  • What has deterred you from buying items offered using the Global Shipping Program?
  • How have you managed to search for items outside the program?

Please try & keep the comments constructive 🙂

If you have any questions about the program, please post them here.

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 1 of 6,171
latest reply
6,170 REPLIES 6,170

Re: Comments about the Global Shipping Program

@brandeentertainment wrote:

Helps sellers that are too lazy to figure it out themselves...

Helps buyers know who the lazy sellers are ...

Might also help other sellers identify buyers too lazy to read up on how the program works in the first place.

I'm not saying you're necessarily one of those, but if you were a U.S. seller would you want to deal with someone who purchases from listings without fully understanding the terms of sale and then complaining about those terms afterwards, or would you rather just have them on your blocked bidders list?

Message 501 of 6,171
latest reply

why would anyone waist there time reading and handing up paying more money if you buy. HELLOOOOOOOOOO.

dont need to read, money talks

Message 502 of 6,171
latest reply

I just received an item from Florida , sent USPS, took 8 days which i thought was very fast shipping, the value was 139.00 and i was not charged any customs fee`s, somebody at the border gave me a break,so i can`t ever see using GSP, and paying all the fees up front, when there could be a possibility of not having to pay anything other then the cost of the item and shipping.

Message 503 of 6,171
latest reply

I totally agree  i also refuse, from now on, to buy from a seller who uses GSP. The additional costs are outrageous, and the package is automatically opened...

Message 504 of 6,171
latest reply

I now have an AD in MY EBAY, asking me to enroll in the GSP, they also give you the option on hiding the AD which i did.
Message 505 of 6,171
latest reply

@rick31797 wrote:

I now have an AD in MY EBAY, asking me to enroll in the GSP, they also give you the option on hiding the AD which i did.

Were you logged into eBay.com or eBay.ca when you saw this?

Message 506 of 6,171
latest reply

I was at MY Ebay..Canada

Message 507 of 6,171
latest reply

That's weird, seeing as the GSP is offered through eBay.com, not eBay.ca.

Message 508 of 6,171
latest reply

I don't have an account with Ebay USA
Message 509 of 6,171
latest reply

Rick - you do not need an account with eBay.com to view your stuff on eBay.com

Message 510 of 6,171
latest reply

Take a look at your Selling Manager on eBay.ca.

Look at the address (URL)

Change com to ca in the address.  Press enter.

You now see the same thing on .com !

Message 511 of 6,171
latest reply

What rock do you fools live under? A few months ago it was all over the news that Canada Boarder Services only has enough manpower to process 5 % of what comes into Canada by mail. And this is not about to change anytime soon. So explain to me why anyone would want to pay 100% of all their import fees when they would have a 95% chance of paying no fees?

Last winter I bought well over 100 Post War Lionel pieces from the US and only got charged customs twice (that's 2 times for the cbay types here).  That's less than 2%, in my case it adds up to over $1000.00 saved.

Everyone is asking for a GST number that they (cbay/PBI) will not give out, just maybe they do not have one to give out?

Message 512 of 6,171
latest reply

@prairietrains wrote:

What rock do you fools live under? A few months ago it was all over the news that Canada Boarder Services only has enough manpower to process 5 % of what comes into Canada by mail. And this is not about to change anytime soon. So explain to me why anyone would want to pay 100% of all their import fees when they would have a 95% chance of paying no fees?

Last winter I bought well over 100 Post War Lionel pieces from the US and only got charged customs twice (that's 2 times for the cbay types here).  That's less than 2%, in my case it adds up to over $1000.00 saved.

Everyone is asking for a GST number that they (cbay/PBI) will not give out, just maybe they do not have one to give out?

Without a GST  number are you saying they are keeping the import fees,I know in Canada  a business needs to have a GST number. We should contact W-5 maybe they can do a story on this a get some answers.

Message 513 of 6,171
latest reply

Without a GST  number are you saying they are keeping the import fees,I know in Canada  a business needs to have a GST number.

They are not collecting tax. They are making sure they have the money handy when they pay tax to the collector, the customs office that clears the shipment inwards.

This may seem a slim distinction, but it is an important one. It's like your accountant collecting money from you and a hundred other clients, then remitting it to the govenment to cover your tax bill, along with others. The accountant is not collecting the tax, merely facilitating its payment to those legally empowered to collect it.

Having the money paid by the buyer in advance is the only possible way this scheme can operate, but it is not tax collection. That comes later, when a customs agent acting for or employed by the shipper settles the import tax bill.

Message 514 of 6,171
latest reply

@rick31797 wrote:
That's odd.  According to your feedback page, you've been an eBay member since October 2000.  Since eBay Canada wasn't launched until April 2001, you would have had to have initially registered on eBay.com.

Message 515 of 6,171
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:

@rick31797 wrote:
That's odd.  According to your feedback page, you've been an eBay member since October 2000.  Since eBay Canada wasn't launched until April 2001, you would have had to have initially registered on eBay.com.

Whats that got to do with the price of rice in china?

Message 516 of 6,171
latest reply

@prairietrains wrote:

Whats that got to do with the price of rice in china?

Concern yourself more with AF's excellent post that deserves more kudos.  🙂

Message 517 of 6,171
latest reply

No GSP in Canada.

Message 518 of 6,171
latest reply

Yes. I will soon be one of those Canadians, if I don't just leave eBay entirely in disgust.

Message 519 of 6,171
latest reply

Frankly, the Global Shipping program is a pain int the keester!

The program uses multiple shippers and by the time it **bleep** my country (Canada) Canpar delivers the goods, that is, if your home.

If they miss you three times in a row, the shipment is returned to the sender (not good).

On my last shipment from the USA,  I was out the first time and they left a message the would be back the next day (no time specified).

I was home bound for six hours waiting for their truck to arrive the next day  (not good).

Also the cost of shipping is giving me second thoughts on a purchase, so that some reliable sellers might now be overlooked.

I am in favour of scrapping the GSP and returning to the good old USPS or Canada Post.

Robert1344robert

Message 520 of 6,171
latest reply