Comments about the Global Shipping Program

Feel free to share your thoughts about the Global Shipping Program here. 

A few questions to get the ball rolling:

• What has worked well for you with the Global Shipping Program?
  • Any ideas to help improve the experience for Canadian buyers?
  • What has deterred you from buying items offered using the Global Shipping Program?
  • How have you managed to search for items outside the program?

Please try & keep the comments constructive 🙂

If you have any questions about the program, please post them here.

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 1 of 6,171
latest reply
6,170 REPLIES 6,170

Re: Comments about the Global Shipping Program

@rick31797 wrote:

so your saying the reason GSP is opening up packages is because the SELLER fails to include the country origin and the specifics of what is in the box.. so its the sellers fault ,

how would you ever know if the sellers are not putting the information on the box clearly to read or not.. are you speculating this is why GSP opens the boxes.

Of all the sellers on the USA site that sent me parcels, not one did not have a customs label on it saying the country of origin and description of what was inside..

I'm not saying it's the seller's fault, but it is their responsibility to communicate this information.

On the Sell Your Item form, there's a spot in the "item specifics" section for country of manufacturer.  In addition, this information is required when possible as per the GSP's terms and conditions for sellers.

In fairness, I have no idea if there's a field for country of manufacturer in third-party eBay listing applications.

If you read the FAQ page I linked to the other day, you'll read that the Global Shipping Center will open packages if they don't know the item's country of origin.  I would take it that it follows that if the GSC already has this information, they're not as likely to open a package to check for this information.

SYI.jpg

TNC.jpg

Message 961 of 6,171
latest reply

@masterdetailer_ca wrote:

eBay has already driven the cost of shipping up by not offering First Class as an online shipping option to sellers and this GSP has priced the option of buying on eBay over the top.  It is now better for me to pay more offsite and save on the shipping.

I'm not clear on what you mean by this.  US sellers can list First Class International as a shipping option on their listings and generate First Class International postage from both PayPal and eBay, I believe.

Message 962 of 6,171
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:

@rick31797 wrote:

so your saying the reason GSP is opening up packages is because the SELLER fails to include the country origin and the specifics of what is in the box.. so its the sellers fault ,

how would you ever know if the sellers are not putting the information on the box clearly to read or not.. are you speculating this is why GSP opens the boxes.

Of all the sellers on the USA site that sent me parcels, not one did not have a customs label on it saying the country of origin and description of what was inside..

I'm not saying it's the seller's fault, but it is their responsibility to communicate this information.

On the Sell Your Item form, there's a spot in the "item specifics" section for country of manufacturer.  In addition, this information is required when possible as per the GSP's terms and conditions for sellers.

In fairness, I have no idea if there's a field for country of manufacturer in third-party eBay listing applications.

If you read the FAQ page I linked to the other day, you'll read that the Global Shipping Center will open packages if they don't know the item's country of origin.  I would take it that it follows that if the GSC already has this information, they're not as likely to open a package to check for this information.

SYI.jpg

TNC.jpg

so what your saying is it more likely the reason the packages are being opened is because of the seller not properly labelling the package, as to the GSP  guide lines , this is your conclusion.

Message 963 of 6,171
latest reply

@19funk67 wrote:

One definition of 'scam'; "a stratagem for gain"....

If you think that ePay doesn't manage pick up some extra cash off the backs of buyers AND sellers thru all this, think again. It's not some benevolent action on their part.

At any rate, 'scam' in this case is just a ranter's term for feeling ripped off. And I do.

Totally applicable.

Seeing as selling on eBay is a "stratagem for gain," are you trying to say that all eBay sellers are scamming, too?

Of course eBay is trying to increase revenues with the GSP.  I just don't think that it's trying to do it via the GSP fees, that's all.

Is sending a half-kilo item as a FedEx super-duper Global Express expensive?  It sure is.  Does that make it a scam, or just a less attractive shipping method than using international letter mail?

The GSP isn't an economical shipping method for small, modestly-priced items.  It's more economical for larger, more expensive items.  It is what it is.  But it's not a scam.

Message 964 of 6,171
latest reply

@rick31797 wrote:

so what your saying is it more likely the reason the packages are being opened is because of the seller not properly labelling the package, as to the GSP  guide lines , this is your conclusion.

No, I'm not saying that.  Where does it say in the screenshots that the package has to be labelled with the item's country of origin or manufacture?

Message 965 of 6,171
latest reply

And how do you know the seller is not communicating the information correctly.

Message 966 of 6,171
latest reply

I don't understand the question.

The GSP seller terms and conditions state that the seller is responsible for specifying the item's country of manufacture in the listing where possible.

Message 967 of 6,171
latest reply

Okay, I think I understand the question now.

If the seller puts the country of manufacture in the Item Specifics section where it belongs, it will show up there.  From what I've seen of GSP listings, not too many sellers do that (possibly because many of them don't realize they've got the GSP in their listings).

Specs.jpg

Message 968 of 6,171
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:

I don't understand the question.

The GSP seller terms and conditions state that the seller is responsible for specifying the item's country of manufacture in the listing where possible.

well you said this 

The fact is, PBI admits that in certain circumstances, packages will be opened.  Seems to me that the best way to combat this would be for sellers to include the item's country of origin with the listing's "Item Specifics" so that the Global Shipping Centre worker handling the package has something to refer to and an excuse not to open it.  (Surely it's less work to leave a package alone and not open it up than to open it up and repackage it badly?

You are saying here the reason PBI , opens packages is because the sellers ARE NOT. including country of origin and item specific..

My question is how in world do you know they as is sellers are not including this information, and how do you know this is the reason PBI opens packages.

Message 969 of 6,171
latest reply

We may have cross-posted.

It's pretty apparent when the seller has specified an item's country of manufacture in the Item Specifics section of a listing.  See my previous post.

And Pitney Bowes explains that packages are opened at the Global Shipping Center in order to determine the item's country of origin (term used on the page) if that information is lacking, as well as a few other reasons which seem to be the exception rather than the rule.

http://blogs.pb.com/ecommerce/2013/07/17/global-shipping-program-faqs/

Message 970 of 6,171
latest reply

@pocomocomputing wrote:

I went to the SYI form and looked. It explains the country of manufacture is for the GSP. I should have looked first.

Country of Manufacture 
Telling us the country of manufacture helps streamline customs clearance if you send the item to the US shipping center.

So I would have to assume that this is not filled out by the USA seller making the GSP shipping center open up the item to visually check if they can determine the country of manufacture.

Does the Sell Your Item form warn sellers using the GSP that they should fill in the country of manufacture?

I asked Ben from eBay on the Country of Manufacture field a few days ago

Here is his reply

Got some answers for you. Thanks for your patience. 

You are correct regarding the “Country of Manufacture” designation -- it is present as a field on the listing form. And although it is not a mandatory field, it does help ensure that the parcel is not opened when it reaches the US Shipping Center.

At this time the CoM info is not present on the domestic shipping label. (As a side note, this could be a good addition though, and I have sent this suggestion along the pipeline.) CoM info (if entered in the listing) is then automatically passed along from eBay to Pitney Bowes.

Per Pitney Bowes, “best practices” for helping make sure parcels are not opened include making sure the following conditions are met:

-the country of origin for the commodity is provided by seller

-there is one commodity on the box

-the destination country does not require open box processing

Hopefully that answers your questions. Let me know if it does not.

---Ben

Based on this reply and other info posted, completing the CoM field would help to reduce opening of parcels and repacking issues that lead to damage. How many are opened and repacked is unknown but it does seem that this lack of information is one factor in reopening packages (and poor repacking leading to damages).

Message 971 of 6,171
latest reply

Hi rick31797.

I was just about to reply with some additional info on Country of Manufacture (aka Country of Origin), and it looks like pocomocomputing beat me to it (thanks, pocomocomputing). 

Please see pocomocomputing's reply on the next page of this thread (message #971). It includes info from Pitney Bowes on how the CoM is used.

Thanks. 

---Ben

Message 972 of 6,171
latest reply

Ebay doesn't seem to realize that all electronics and camera equipment is duty free coming into Canada from elsewhere however I just bought 3 tablets for Christmas gifts from the US (2 shipped to Canada and one to a US address) & both those to Canada I was charged the $40+US GSP fee along with the $30 shipping fee.

The 3rd tablet shipped to a US drop address was picked up by my brother who brought it across the border, declaring its full $370 value.

Canada Customs waved him through without any duty or taxes owing!

The sellers were thinking I was pulling a scam because they didn't even realize they were part of this program and were being shown to ship the items to some unknown address in KY when I am located in Canada.

That delayed things for 2 days then after shipping I had to wait 4 days for the item to arrive at Pitney Bowes warehouse, then wait another 3 days for them to process it, and THEN they ship it and I have to wait for it to hit Canada.

4 days ago they shipped it to Canada and Canada Posts website just says electronic shipping info received, no actual parcel!?

How does ebay compute that this saves both shipping time and money/hassles with this ludicrous program?

Also it is worth mentioning that the Canadian Border Services are now no longer charging taxes etc on items $200 or less, they just let em flow through since that is the new allowed 24 hour limit when going to the US for the day.

Message 973 of 6,171
latest reply

@pocomocomputing wrote:

Based on this reply and other info posted, completing the CoM field would help to reduce opening of parcels and repacking issues that lead to damage. How many are opened and repacked is unknown but it does seem that this lack of information is one factor in reopening packages (and poor repacking leading to damages).

Wait.... so PB is repacking items that they open and then they possibly arrive damaged and of course the buyer will blame the seller for poor packing leading to either a dispute due to damaged/item not as described and/or the poor seller gets a strike due to someone else repacking their item?!

I have no clue what ebay is thinking most of the times...great theory but too many terrible real world variables to roll this idea out.

Message 974 of 6,171
latest reply

Personal response about GSP, I no longer buy from Sellers who participate in this program. I won't even look at listings that list that "customs..." blurb at the item view page. I still buy but just not from those in the GSP.
Message 975 of 6,171
latest reply

5 days now since Pitney shipped my items and yet Canada Post's site is still just saying "2013/12/16 VANCOUVER Electronic information submitted by shipper."

If there are no customs delays etc & Pitney is using a 3rd party shipper like FedEx, UPS, or DHL then the items should have arrived in Canada within 2-3 days (going by the equivalent priority shipping) without any layovers at customs and I should have technically had them by now.

Looks like they will not arrive before Christmas when if the seller could have shipped direct to me I would have received them already.

Nicely done ebay....Robot Mad

Message 976 of 6,171
latest reply

@bobenis wrote:

Looks like they will not arrive before Christmas when if the seller could have shipped direct to me I would have received them already.

Maybe, maybe not.  My parcels seem to be taking longer to deliver and arrive than this time last year.  I suspect Canada Post and USPS have not been hiring nearly as many seasonal workers this year.

Message 977 of 6,171
latest reply

@bobenis wrote:

5 days now since Pitney shipped my items and yet Canada Post's site is still just saying "2013/12/16 VANCOUVER Electronic information submitted by shipper."

If there are no customs delays etc & Pitney is using a 3rd party shipper like FedEx, UPS, or DHL then the items should have arrived in Canada within 2-3 days (going by the equivalent priority shipping) without any layovers at customs and I should have technically had them by now.

Nicely done ebay....Robot Mad

Your just the one of many that is not impressed with GSP, i dont suppose you will use it again,and i would say if your items were sent USPS they would be in your hands by now.

I bought an item from China and it took 8 days, i couldn't believe i got it that fast.

GSP is a disaster, there really isnt anything positive about, other then making it possibly easier for the seller, it does nothing for the buyer except cause aggravation and more money.

Message 978 of 6,171
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:

@bobenis wrote:

Maybe, maybe not.  My parcels seem to be taking longer to deliver and arrive than this time last year.  I suspect Canada Post and USPS have not been hiring nearly as many seasonal workers this year.

Possibly however since they use a 3rd party shipper to Canada where Canada Post takes over (most likely DHL) then that item should have already arrived unless CP has not updated their info.

I know Monoprice does the same type of drop shipping to Canada however their stuff arrives within a week via the same process.

Message 979 of 6,171
latest reply

I'm in BC and I'm waiting for a First Class International shipment that was mailed out from New York on 27 November.  It might be one of the items I received a parcel pickup notice for while I was out yesterday, but I can't say for certain at this point.

Message 980 of 6,171
latest reply