Comments about the Global Shipping Program

Feel free to share your thoughts about the Global Shipping Program here. 

A few questions to get the ball rolling:

• What has worked well for you with the Global Shipping Program?
  • Any ideas to help improve the experience for Canadian buyers?
  • What has deterred you from buying items offered using the Global Shipping Program?
  • How have you managed to search for items outside the program?

Please try & keep the comments constructive 🙂

If you have any questions about the program, please post them here.

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 1 of 6,171
latest reply
6,170 REPLIES 6,170

Re: Comments about the Global Shipping Program

Recently I purchase an item on ebay,

It states that the price was 128.99 US

Shipping was $11.35 US  international to Canada

Import charges were $12.54 US

On the full order of multiple items the subtotal was $156.63US, with $43.07US shipping and $23.82 Import Charges, but they gave me $8.60US off for the big order.......Sounds good right, Oh wait, now the Global Shipping and Extortion program kicks in

Upon arrival, the COD Brokerage fees were a whopping additional $104.00 CDN, on ONE item out of the four being shipped.  

How much additional money will this Global Shipping program charge me for these items as I was just made aware that another item has reached a "distribution center".  It is ludicrous to think that one price is quoted, and a completely different one is charged when it arrives on the doorstep.  I am wondering if the program is double dipping when it comes to Canadians.

1.  This does, in my opinion fall under false advertising, and might as well be white collar theft, as the buyer has no control over these "fees", nor are we notified properly.

2. There is no way to challenge "Fees" - the buyer is not made aware until the package arrives

3. There is no way to confirm that the destination shipper isn't committing a fraudulent activity

I can buy a $600US item from a reputable store in the US on their website, and pay $55.00 import fees at the door....I know, I do a lot of other purchases.

Warning to all Canadian eBay members would be not to buy anything that indicates the item will be going thru this Distribution Network.....it'll be cheaper to deal with a store and pay the import charges through standard mail.

Message 5021 of 6,171
latest reply

Oh, and I do appreciate that the forum, although states you can upload .jpg and .gif files, does not permit you to....kept rejecting my image.
Message 5022 of 6,171
latest reply

" the COD Brokerage fees were a whopping additional $104.00 CDN, "

The problem is simple: your seller made a mistake.,  He shipped directly to you instead of shipping to the eBay Distribution Centre in Kentucky as instructed by eBay and PayPal when the payment was sent.

Contact your seller then contact PayPal to get a refund the the "import charge" since the seller did not use the service (his mistake).

Message 5023 of 6,171
latest reply

You shouldn't have had to pay any COD fees if the item was shipped through the gsp so as Pierre said, the seller must have shipped the package directly to you instead of to the Kentucky depot.  How was the item sent...UPS? The fees sound very high so I'm wondering if the seller sent it COD for the shipping charges too. Did the seller declare the right amount for customs and what is the break down on the invoice from the carrier?

Hopefully the seller will phone ebay, explain what happened so that the amounts paid to the gsp are refunded but you might have to phone ebay yourself. If the gsp wasn't used, you should get back those fees but it might take a little work because the system isn't set up very well for situations like this.

Message 5024 of 6,171
latest reply

It is truly outrageous that this kind of stuff keeps happening over and over again! Imagine a seller treating a buyer this shoddily. I wonder how long the seller would last (/sarcasm)

eBay.com had a weekly chat with the GSP team last week. Here is the link to access the chat:

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Weekly-Chat-with-eBay-Staff/Weekly-Chat-with-the-Global-Shipping-Progra...

Scroll down a bit and you will see that there are GSP people who posted replies to questions. I would contact them with your problem and I wouldn't go away until a satisfactory solution was received (with $$$ not merely promised, but in hand).

It's about time eBay owned up to the mess they created and started fixing it. Although I'm certainly not about to start holding my breath waiting for anything to happen.

Message 5025 of 6,171
latest reply

Just telling the US/UK seller that they are using the GSP would be a start.

And reminding the seller that using the program for transactions under $50 (or even $100) is not recommended.

While sellers are responsible for knowing what they are signed up for, eBay is equally responsible for keeping them aware of all that the program means.

Message 5026 of 6,171
latest reply

@00nevermind00 wrote:

It is truly outrageous that this kind of stuff keeps happening over and over again! Imagine a seller treating a buyer this shoddily. I wonder how long the seller would last (/sarcasm)

I don't see how a seller not following instructions to ship a GSP item to Kentucky is connected to the program's "shoddy" treatment of Canadian buyers.

If a seller ships a small item by USPS parcel post (Priority) for $32 and passes those charges onto the buyer when the item could have gone by letter post  (First Class International) for $10, do we start shaming USPS for treating Canadian buyers badly, or do we place the responsibility on the seller for choosing an inappropriate shipping method?

Don't get me wrong, I do agree there's a lot amiss with how the GSP gets communicated to sellers and buyers, but I don't think that this particular case is an instance of the program treating buyers poorly.

Next thing you know, people will be on this board posting that the GSP is to blame for the increase in the price of fresh vegetables.

Message 5027 of 6,171
latest reply

Me either! As soon as I see that... I am out!
Message 5028 of 6,171
latest reply

Because they overcharge!!!

Message 5029 of 6,171
latest reply

Me too!   And how many times is the shipping with GPS more then the product!!!!   Take a flame to your money.

Message 5030 of 6,171
latest reply

Keep on it.....    and hope you get it.

Message 5031 of 6,171
latest reply

I don't see how a seller not following instructions to ship a GSP item to Kentucky is connected to the program's "shoddy" treatment of Canadian buyers.

Sorry. Upon rereading my post, I can see that it wasn't very clear. I omitted to quote the poster I was replying to, which is never a good idea.

I was replying to the ordeal that the poster above me was describing. Ebay insists on the highest standard from its sellers. Those who can't comply can get banned from selling. Yet eBay itself inflicts on buyers a poorly designed program that turns into a real labyrinth when the buyer runs into a problem. I was merely pointing out the double standard. What's good for the seller goose ought to be good for the eBay gander.

Next thing you know, people will be on this board posting that the GSP is to blame for the increase in the price of fresh vegetables.

Come on, that is a ridiculous comparison and you know it.

Message 5032 of 6,171
latest reply

@00nevermind00 wrote:

Sorry. Upon rereading my post, I can see that it wasn't very clear. I omitted to quote the poster I was replying to, which is never a good idea.

No problem.  I just went by the username attributed to be the originator of the post to which you were responding.

@00nevermind00 wrote:

I was replying to the ordeal that the poster above me was describing. Ebay insists on the highest standard from its sellers. Those who can't comply can get banned from selling. Yet eBay itself inflicts on buyers a poorly designed program that turns into a real labyrinth when the buyer runs into a problem. I was merely pointing out the double standard. What's good for the seller goose ought to be good for the eBay gander.

I understand the gist of your point here, but I'd argue that it's actually sellers who are seeing this program inflicting upon themselves.  After all, where and how to ship is the seller's choice and the bulk of items listed with the GSP seem to be ones that wouldn't have international shipping specified at all if the GSP didn't exist.  These listings wouldn't be visible on the .ca site with a normal keyword search, so if anything, it's the listings themselves that are being inflicted on Canadian (and other non-US) buyers, not the program itself.

And while the GSP does have its share of problems, I think a lot of them could be mitigated if the program were communicated better to sellers and buyers.  Why do so many sellers seem not to know that their listings have the GSP attached to them?  Why don't sellers use "item specifics" as a matter of course, whether or not they're aware that they're using the GSP?  Why do buyers have to come to these discussion boards to find out how to get their payments returned in the event of loss or damage to a GSP shipment?

The GSP leaves both buyers and sellers in the dark about so much, and to what ends?

On a somewhat different note, have you noticed that the description of the shipping service has been modified on the .com site?  I wonder how long this change will take to make it to .ca?

Priority.png

Message 5033 of 6,171
latest reply

As a Canadian buyer, I have to say that I find the GPS program has really ruined eBay shopping for me.

I tend to purchase a lot of items in the $20-$30 US range, such as books, used games, T-shirts, etc.  If the US seller ships directly to Canada, even with tracking the USPS shipping rate might be $10 US or so.  However, I find that Pitney Bowes often charges more for their special 'shipping + import' than the original item costs me!

I get that they are taking on a _small_ risk to handle the cross-border, but their rates seem to be about double the typical USPS shipping charges.

When I'm going through eBay listings now, I'll see an item that looks like it is a great price - but then I see the GPS charges, and continue on with my searching.

Message 5034 of 6,171
latest reply

After all, where and how to ship is the seller's choice and the bulk of items listed with the GSP seem to be ones that wouldn't have international shipping specified at all if the GSP didn't exist.  These listings wouldn't be visible on the .ca site with a normal keyword search, so if anything, it's the listings themselves that are being inflicted on Canadian (and other non-US) buyers, not the program itself.

You're splitting hairs.

And while the GSP does have its share of problems, I think a lot of them could be mitigated if the program were communicated better to sellers and buyers.

I think that on this at least, everyone here will agree. Why eBay did such a poor job of explaining the program is a mystery. Or maybe it isn't. Since the buyers don't matter in this scheme, eBay didn't feel the need to explain anything to them. The program was marketed to sellers as "international shipping made easy and safe" so explaining what really is a very complex program would have highlighted that fact.

Why do buyers have to come to these discussion boards to find out how to get their payments returned in the event of loss or damage to a GSP shipment?

It is possible that nobody even anticipated that things could go wrong in this scheme and that buyers would want to be made whole in case of a problem. In their ivory tower somewhere in LaLa Land, maybe they thought that every buyer would read and memorize the T&C (ha!) and that they would then know exactly what to do, no matter what the problem was. But I think that the most likely explanation is that no one involved cared and gave even one fleeting thought to the buyer.

On a somewhat different note, have you noticed that the description of the shipping service has been modified on the .com site?  I wonder how long this change will take to make it to .ca?

That change was made a while ago. They got rid of the GSP logo, which was useful because it was immediately identifiable. But they did not get rid of the confusing "international priority shipping", which has many buyers and sellers mistakenly thinking that the USPS International Priority service is being used. That borders on false advertising.

It seems to me that there were many much more important changes that should have been made before this one.

Message 5035 of 6,171
latest reply

@00nevermind00 wrote:

After all, where and how to ship is the seller's choice and the bulk of items listed with the GSP seem to be ones that wouldn't have international shipping specified at all if the GSP didn't exist.  These listings wouldn't be visible on the .ca site with a normal keyword search, so if anything, it's the listings themselves that are being inflicted on Canadian (and other non-US) buyers, not the program itself.

You're splitting hairs.

I don't think so.  If the GSP were supplanting conventional international shipping methods that were already in place in listings, then, yes, I could agree with your assessment that the program is being "inflicted" upon buyers, not just sellers.  But this doesn't appear to be the case.

I don't think one can state that a shipping method is being "inflicted" when the listing utilizing that shipping method wouldn't be available to Canada otherwise.

@00nevermind00 wrote:

I think that on this at least, everyone here will agree. Why eBay did such a poor job of explaining the program is a mystery. Or maybe it isn't. Since the buyers don't matter in this scheme, eBay didn't feel the need to explain anything to them. The program was marketed to sellers as "international shipping made easy and safe" so explaining what really is a very complex program would have highlighted that fact.

I think this state of affairs is largely due to the fact that technically speaking, the Global Shipping Program is not eBay's baby.  As you, I and many of our fellow Canuck eBayers know now, the program is administered by PitneyBowes, and I suspect the agreement with eBay is such that eBay has more or less a hands-off agreement with PB when it comes to running, promoting and communicating the program lest it be accused of unfair competition.  

After all, this program is pretty much a glorified version of the forwarding services that have been around to serve non-US eBayers for a couple of decades ago.  Speaking of which, I do have to wonder if anybody has pursued any of these forwarding services in order to bypass the GSP and how their costs compare.

@00nevermind00 wrote:

It is possible that nobody even anticipated that things could go wrong in this scheme and that buyers would want to be made whole in case of a problem. In their ivory tower somewhere in LaLa Land, maybe they thought that every buyer would read and memorize the T&C (ha!) and that they would then know exactly what to do, no matter what the problem was. But I think that the most likely explanation is that no one involved cared and gave even one fleeting thought to the buyer.

See my previous comment.  PitneyBowes may be experienced in dealing with corporate clients, but I think their background in online sales to Joe and Jane Typical-Consumer has been pretty much limited to selling postage.  eBay probably has had very little input into the mechanics of the GSP, but then, what does it--or PitneyBowes for that matter--really know about international shipping?

@00nevermind00 wrote:

That change was made a while ago. They got rid of the GSP logo, which was useful because it was immediately identifiable. But they did not get rid of the confusing "international priority shipping", which has many buyers and sellers mistakenly thinking that the USPS International Priority service is being used. That borders on false advertising.

Hey, FedEx also has an international shipping service that shares its name with the nomenclature used by the GSP.  The only differences seem to be that FedEx is using the term as a trademark and a comparative to its other international services, whereas the GSP seems to be using it as a generic term and it's being compared to...um....

http://www.fedex.com/ca_english/services/international/intlpriority.html

"Priority" appears to be a term used by other carriers, but in the case of the GSP and USPS it's pretty much meaningless for international shipments as those shipping methods don't take priority over any other shipping method.

@00nevermind00 wrote:

It seems to me that there were many much more important changes that should have been made before this one.

The urgency of a change bears no correlation with the ease of making that change, however.

Message 5036 of 6,171
latest reply

I believe that the use of Pitney Bowes is a scam and it makes me very angry that my shipping and handling costs are doubled with no discernible advantage to a buyer. I live in Canada and just purchased an item that costs $25.50US. I paid a shipping and handling charge of $11.25.  And a $16.46 charge was added for Pitney Bowes.  This puts the cost of shipping and handling higher than the item I purchased. The advantage ... none.  It is still going to take up to 4 weeks to arrive.  I've been buying on eBay for years and when this was introduced and I noted the cost and the same or longer delivery time I was shocked. It is also not all duty fees as the item in question is just over $25. This of course will impact my use of eBay.  I'm not blaming the seller but am surely wondering why eBay introduced this very bad service.  So a warning to all buyers, note if the Global Shipping Program is part of the purchase price.  It will make your item far more expensive and you will not get it any quicker. I know I should have been paying more attention.

Message 5037 of 6,171
latest reply

@booksreadingroom wrote:

I believe that the use of Pitney Bowes is a scam and it makes me very angry that my shipping and handling costs are doubled with no discernible advantage to a buyer. I live in Canada and just purchased an item that costs $25.50US. I paid a shipping and handling charge of $11.25.  And a $16.46 charge was added for Pitney Bowes.  This puts the cost of shipping and handling higher than the item I purchased. The advantage ... none.  It is still going to take up to 4 weeks to arrive.  I've been buying on eBay for years and when this was introduced and I noted the cost and the same or longer delivery time I was shocked. It is also not all duty fees as the item in question is just over $25. This of course will impact my use of eBay.  I'm not blaming the seller but am surely wondering why eBay introduced this very bad service.  So a warning to all buyers, note if the Global Shipping Program is part of the purchase price.  It will make your item far more expensive and you will not get it any quicker. I know I should have been paying more attention.

Actually, I would place some of the blame on the seller.  If the seller doesn't realize that they're enrolled in the Global Shipping Program, they're not likely going to follow its terms and conditions which state that they have to provide information on the item's condition (i.e. new or used), country of origin, size, and other niceties.  If the Global Shipping bot has little or no information to work with for an accurate calculation of duty and taxes, it will take something like a worst case scenario into consideration when making its calculations.

Sorry you had to find this out the hard way, but do keep in mind that the GSP can work reasonably well for some sales, particularly for larger items and often if the seller offers "free" shipping within the United States as the GSP's shipping charges are actually the seller's shipping charge plus the GSP's shipping charge.  It certainly isn't the "one size fits most" solution that seems to be getting promoted on the .com site to sellers, though.

Message 5038 of 6,171
latest reply

Hello 'booksreadingroom',

<< Pitney Bowes ... makes... my shipping and handling costs ... doubled with no discernible advantage to a buyer...>>

So true, so true.  But by your own admission you have observed what a dreadful system it is since it was first

introduced, hence I must inquire why in blazes you bought through the GSP at all?

<<This puts the cost of shipping and handling higher than the item I purchased>>

On items that could otherwise come up from the US via the comparatively inexpensive First Class Mail, it can

indeed be infuriating.  The listing page will show 'GSP', however.  It's a quick mental addition, - the GSP ship cost, 

plus the import charges on anything over $20 Cdn (about $15 USD).  So you're right, that is perhaps the most irksome

aspect of the program.

That said, the fault of the import charges lies with our dear government, - who wants a share of every nickel we spend

over $20.  Americans can order up to $200 worth before their Uncle Sam puts his hand out.  And that's the law, - 

Pitney Bowes has to add on the charges.  Now whether they're doing it correctly, or doing a good job,  . . .   hmmmm. . . 

Shipping fees anywhere are expensive.  Have you seen what it can cost even using First Class mail?

http://ircalc.usps.com/?country=10054

I often buy from the UK when I cannot find what I am looking for over here, and shopping from Canada sure seems 

expensive.  An apparently light-weight item sold for less than  £4 can end up costing over $40 Cdn to mail, -- and that is 

without the GSP.  

http://www.royalmail.com/price-finder

Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending the GSP, haha, not a chance.  I'm just saying cost alone should not be the 

sole deterrent. 

For myself, I refuse to use it because of the many other problems, not least is their insistence on repackaging items 

and the horrendous difficulty in seeking redress for items that are subsequently damaged.  That, and I have no 

confidence that the item will be sure to arrive, not in light of the numerous complaints from people who maintain 

that their item was 'delivered' to a wrong address.  Too many risks, and I am simply not willing to gamble my money.

<<This of course will impact my use of eBay.>>

Can't fault you there, - it's certainly impacted mine. Smiley Wink  Just don't let the whole mess put you off entirely.  Not yet, anyway.  

You can greatly improve your enjoyment of ebay by simply avoiding GSP listings.  It's easy to do, - when you are doing 

a Search, be sure to use "List view" and not "Gallery".  As you scroll down the items, skip over all those that feature the 

pale grey warning:

Customs services and international tracking provided

It ought to be in flashing neon orange, but the whisper-pale grey is better than no clue at all.  

<< am surely wondering why eBay introduced this very bad service>>

Because it is lucrative, because ebay and Pitney Bowes are American companies and this will help shunt more 

of the world's wealth into the US.

I am sorry you had to have such a rotten time of it, and I hope it will not taint the enjoyment of your item.  In future it is 

good to keep in mind that anytime there are thousands of irate people vociferously complaining about something ...

hmmm, well, . . . . 

Best wishes for a surprisingly speedy and unexpectedly positive outcome. Smiley Very Happy

Message 5039 of 6,171
latest reply

Good post as usual, Dmil, but may I make a small correction?

@dmil8030 wrote:

. . . the fault of the import charges lies with our dear government, - who wants a share of every nickel we spend

over $20.  Americans can order up to $200 worth before their Uncle Sam puts his hand out.  And that's the law, - 

Pitney Bowes has to add on the charges. 

Most U.S. states levy a "use tax".  In essence, it's the equivalent of state sales tax and applies to items purchased from out of state, be it from another country or the state next door.

The hitch, as this article suggests, is that remitting this tax is completely voluntary:

http://www.npr.org/sections/money/2013/04/16/177384487/most-people-are-supposed-to-pay-this-tax

Message 5040 of 6,171
latest reply