Comments about the Global Shipping Program

Feel free to share your thoughts about the Global Shipping Program here. 

A few questions to get the ball rolling:

• What has worked well for you with the Global Shipping Program?
  • Any ideas to help improve the experience for Canadian buyers?
  • What has deterred you from buying items offered using the Global Shipping Program?
  • How have you managed to search for items outside the program?

Please try & keep the comments constructive 🙂

If you have any questions about the program, please post them here.

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 1 of 6,171
latest reply
6,170 REPLIES 6,170

Re: Comments about the Global Shipping Program

<<Most U.S. states levy a "use tax"....>>

You're picking nits.Smiley LOL

That article doesn't really say much about importing things via online, just state-to-state, which may turn into 

the same thing I suppose.  Apart from our always hearing others here say that Americans can bring in up to 

$200 tax-free . . .  "free" . . .  here is where I am getting my thoughts on it:

http://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-import-export/internet-purchases

If you scroll waaaay down to where it says, International Postal Service, it says  "Packages whose declared value

is under $200 ($100 if being sent as a gift to someone other than the purchaser) will generally be cleared . . . ."

Then there's this article (which isn't very good, but worth a giggle) telling people that they can avoid duty/tax limits

by mailing themselves up to $200 worth of goods per day. 

http://www.reidsguides.com/t_mo/t_mo_customs.html

Further, this here explains how "Import duty and taxes are due when importing goods into the United States", but 

adds, "Sales tax is not automatically charged on imported goods".   The reminder that "tax representatives ...

may occasionally claim state taxes from the importer", seems to my mind noticeably weak.

http://www.dutycalculator.com/country-guides/Import-duty-taxes-when-importing-into-the-United-States...

So that really sounds like $200 free and clear.  Not like on this side where items coming in to Canada are either 

assessed or they're not, and the value is always for goods over $20.  It's not a suggestion.

Well, that's my take on it, anyway.

Message 5041 of 6,171
latest reply

@dmil8030 wrote:

You're picking nits.Smiley LOL

That article doesn't really say much about importing things via online, just state-to-state, which may turn into 

the same thing I suppose.  Apart from our always hearing others here say that Americans can bring in up to 

$200 tax-free . . .  "free" . . .  here is where I am getting my thoughts on it:

http://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-import-export/internet-purchases 

Actually, Americans can import by mail items with a declared value of up to $200 duty-free.  Taxes are a completely different animal.  The complication here is that US Border Protection isn't able to collect state taxes owing on an item, just duty.  On the other hand, state governments don't have the authority to stop and assess mail for taxes owing, so it becomes a voluntary exercise to remit taxes owing on these goods.  This article goes into a bit more detail on the process:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ashleaebeling/2012/04/17/the-tax-return-line-item-you-likely-overlooked-...

I don't know of any US states off the top of my head that have a $200 exemption limit for use tax, although many (if not most) states will not insist on the full use tax owing being paid if another state's taxes have been paid on the item already.

@dmil8030 wrote:

Further, this here explains how "Import duty and taxes are due when importing goods into the United States", but 

adds, "Sales tax is not automatically charged on imported goods".   The reminder that "tax representatives ...

may occasionally claim state taxes from the importer", seems to my mind noticeably weak.

http://www.dutycalculator.com/country-guides/Import-duty-taxes-when-importing-into-the-United-States...

And because sales tax is not automatically charged on imported goods, the onus is on the importer to pay it later in the form of use tax instead, often when one files their income tax paperwork as the Forbes article suggests.

Message 5042 of 6,171
latest reply

<<Americans can import by mail items with a declared value of up to $200 duty-free.>>

Yes, and the links I posted all make that clear.  

<<...many (if not most) states will not insist on the full use tax owing being paid...>>  

Right again, as the links I posted previously all suggest.  Just as they also indicate that there may be a 

chance, maybe, that at some vague point in the future a tax collector might, perhaps, happen to want some tax.

Not particularly compelling, not in my opinon, though I never said anyone had an out-and-out 100% full-on exemption.

I do not dispute what you are saying.   I am merely wondering, when time and again poster after poster here

all lauds the US for allowing its citizens to import $200 worth without taxes,  why you have not chosen to 

clobber them around the head with this as well. Smiley Wink

It calls to mind something about ... uh, ...  mountains, . . . . .  molehills, ......  Smiley Very Happy

Message 5043 of 6,171
latest reply

@dmil8030 wrote:

<<Americans can import by mail items with a declared value of up to $200 duty-free.>>

Yes, and the links I posted all make that clear.  

<<...many (if not most) states will not insist on the full use tax owing being paid...>>  

Right again, as the links I posted previously all suggest.  Just as they also indicate that there may be a 

chance, maybe, that at some vague point in the future a tax collector might, perhaps, happen to want some tax.

Not particularly compelling, not in my opinon, though I never said anyone had an out-and-out 100% full-on exemption.

@I don't think we're quite on the same wavelength.  You wrote:

Apart from our always hearing others here say that Americans can bring in up to 

$200 tax-free . . .  "free" . . .

and yet you presented a page to support the fact that Americans can import by mail up to $200 of goods duty free.

Taxes are still officially expected to be paid to state governments, not the feds, no matter what the value of the shipment.

Message 5044 of 6,171
latest reply

Buying from a seller using GSP... never again. Buying on Ebay again not so sure....

Found out my box all crushed with hole on the side and many layer of repair tape holding the side, no surprise my item is damaged inside, It work but now i need to repair it to be fully functional, my item lost resale value for the future and now the only company who still have the part charge me 10x the price of what i paid to repair it (15 year old scope so limited part available).... i don't want to return it because i need it (it's why i bought it in the first place....) so now what....

Now i'm stuck between the seller who said he have nothing to do with it because it's the GSP program (and doesn't reply anymore to my msg) and Ebay who don't give any tool except to open a case to return the item... why return ?you don't have insurance with your shipping program???..... Still waiting for Ebay to step in.....

The thing i understand there it's the Seller did a good job to pack the item, but they repacked it at the GSP facility, i can tell they doesn't care because it was a very bad attempts to pack something. 1 layer of bubble wrap and some pellet. The 35 lbs item was floating in the box, it's sure this will get damage you need to secure it.... If it float the item itself will just move and hit everything around........ result damage to the front and the back.. Who will pay for the repair now .......

Message 5045 of 6,171
latest reply

Award200, you need to open a case for an item "Significantly Not As Described" (the item you purchased wasn't supposed to be heavily damaged). Mention that it is a GSP item and that the damage occurred in transit. You'll receive a full refund from the GSP folks and you will keep the item, as the GSP does not support returns.

As a courtesy, you may want to let the seller know what you'll be doing, because their funds will be on hold for a few days. Just let them know that it's nothing to worry about and that it is temporary.

Message 5046 of 6,171
latest reply

Ok where i see this SNAD, the only thing i see is not as described and return item, it is in the same menu ? Can i cancel this request and open another ?

Edit: it seem i can't cancel the request so i will wait for ebay to step in and explain to them. I see everyone talking about the SNAD but i never found it in the menu so i used the return instead.... I explained all the step i did with the seller even if he don't reply anymore to be sure he don't have any surprise.

Message 5047 of 6,171
latest reply

@award200 wrote:

Ok where i see this SNAD, the only thing i see is not as described and return item, it is in the same menu ? Can i cancel this request and open another ?

Edit: it seem i can't cancel the request so i will wait for ebay to step in and explain to them. I see everyone talking about the SNAD but i never found it in the menu so i used the return instead.... I explained all the step i did with the seller even if he don't reply anymore to be sure he don't have any surprise.

I'm not sure exactly what you're seeing, since I've never had to open a SNAD case and I've never purchased a GSP item. There is a chat this afternoon at 1:00 (Eastern time) with eBay staff. Maybe you can ask the question there and hopefully someone will be able to help you:

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Weekly-Chat-Session/November-4th-2015-Weekly-Session/m-p/317581#M3069

If you prefer dealing with the GSP people directly, you can check out the Weekly chat from a couple of weeks ago on the .com boards. A number of eBay's GSP staff posted to the thread. You could contact one of them with your problem:

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Weekly-Chat-with-eBay-Staff/Weekly-Chat-with-the-Global-Shipping-Progra...

There is no reason you should be out a single penny after receiving a half-destroyed item. Getting a GSP problem resolved is not easy but with a bit of persistence (don't take "no" for an answer!) you should get your money back.

Message 5048 of 6,171
latest reply

Well Ebay is quick on this one, got an-email from them, case closed  and i get a full refund. Thanks for the advice, i hope this is easy like that for everyone who have shipping damage at least the protection work.

Message 5049 of 6,171
latest reply

If I can possibly avoid it I won't buy from a seller that uses gsp. I recently made a purchase of $33 and the import charge was a whopping $18. What really got me was that there wouldn't have been any applicable duties because the item was manufactured in the US. From a buyer's perspective this is a huge and unethical cash grab.
Message 5050 of 6,171
latest reply

@charlotte4583 wrote:

If I can possibly avoid it I won't buy from a seller that uses gsp. I recently made a purchase of $33 and the import charge was a whopping $18. What really got me was that there wouldn't have been any applicable duties because the item was manufactured in the US. From a buyer's perspective this is a huge and unethical cash grab.

Did the listing indicate that the item was manufactured in the United States?  If not, that's one area where the seller blew it.

Keep in mind, though, that even if the item may not have had applicable duty, you would still be subject to the same consumption taxes (PST/GST/HST/QST) that you'd pay if you purchased the item from a Canadian retailer licensed to collect and remit those taxes.

Most of the cash being "grabbed" in a GSP sale should be by the feds and provinces if the seller properly follows the GSP terms and conditions for sellers.  Unfortunately, on this board we see quite a lot of instances where the seller hasn't done this.

Message 5051 of 6,171
latest reply

I mistakenly used this program once when it first rolled out, but this is how I leaned from my mistake. The tracking system was not there, and other costs that I was not aware of were added after my purchase, then of all things, they had to use Canpar to deliver it to my door...not! They don't deliver parcels in rural addresses because this is a cheap parcel carrier, but they said they *might* deliver it to my rural house address the following week...they actually used the word "might". On that day Canpar actually called me at 7:00 AM and woke me out of bed, then I had to drive 15 minutes over to a store in the nearest big city, wait over 1/2 hour because they were so late, and then I had to carry this heavy parcel over to my parked car 2 blocks away because street parking was full! I swore to myself I would never use this Global Shipping Program ever again!

I now buy from Canadian Sellers, and if I am desperate enough to buy something that Canadian Sellers don't have and turn to American Sellers for something they do have, I have to be very careful to read the shipping methods, and GPS is not what I want!

If eBay wants to make the shipping methods work, I say get rid of Global Shipping Program...the other shipping methods worked!

Message 5052 of 6,171
latest reply

Hello 'freeman11ca',

<<I mistakenly used this program once. . .>>

Ah, but you're older and wiser now, and that's what counts.  We all make mistakes.  

I am curious about one thing, though, -- when you say, "They don't deliver parcels in rural addresses",

do you ever have problems with delivery from Canada Post?  Usually CP is amazing but they seem to be 

increasingly cutting back on services.  Mine is not a rural address but it is a remote enough location that 

most of my shopping is done online.  Great delivery trucks for just about anything, but no 'door-to-door' 

on letters or small things that fit into the locked cubicle down the way.  They always deliver my parcels to my 

door, but I have heard of people who never get delivery, - only a card which they must then arrange to take 

to the nearest postal outlet.

(Did you ever hear about that rural Nova Scotia couple who said their address was, "1 tree past the squirrel's hole,

3 runs past the deer lick, and 1 leap over the felled oak tree", and had a Christmas card delivered to that?

Well, the real address was probably on a sticker which the postee removed in fun before putting it in their 

mail box, but still. . . )

<< I now buy from Canadian Sellers. . .>>

Yaaay! *clap,clap,clap*   Let's keep our money in Canada where it belongs. Smiley Very Happy 

But you're right, we often cannot find the item we want available here.  For the moment, however, avoiding GSP 

items is easy.  

When doing a Search, I assume you are choosing Canada Only or even North America from the Item Location on

the left.  Have the view set up for List and not Gallery, and you'll recognize GSP items because they offer a warning

in pale grey:

Customs services and international tracking provided

It's a shame it isn't in a loud, flashing neon green, but even a subtle caution is better than none.

<<.... I say get rid of Global Shipping Program...the other shipping methods worked!>>

And they still work, -- far better in my opinion.  They will never get rid of the GSP.  You'll have a nicer time 

of it if you accept that much.  The thing to do, then, is tailor your Search to best suit your own needs so as to 

get the most out of your ebay experience.  

I am more concerned about ebay's progressively making GSP items more difficult to identify:  Find any item here 

on ebay Canada that is GSP.  Copy the item number and look at the listing on the American ebay.  

Right now we see that globe & box icon proudly displayed, -- pretty hard to miss.  The new "improved" presentation 

is less obvious and comparatively understated making it almost indistinguishable from plain old USPS mail offerings.

Making it less obvious and hence more challenging to identify is not my idea of improving the service, but we do 

hear a lot of strange things from time to time.  For now, though, do everything you can to ensure you get the best 

arrangement possible.  It's your money, after all.

Happy shopping. Smiley Happy

Message 5053 of 6,171
latest reply

their address was, "1 tree past the squirrel's hole,

3 runs past the deer lick, and 1 leap over the felled oak tree",

I used to sell woodstoves. We got that kind of address from our customers constantly.

The worst was when the guys went out to the described property -- "And we'll tie a red scarf on the gate just to be sure"-- and returned unsuccessfully. A phone call confirmed that not only had they forgotten to tie the scarf on the gate but the cheese factory that was the other part of the description had actually burned down ten years earlier.

We had to pay our men anyway of course.

I was soooo happy when the fire departments started insisting that all properties have numbers displayed at the road.

Message 5054 of 6,171
latest reply

Total RIP OFF -- you just overpriced yourself out of business... it would have been cheaper and faster to buy my item elsewhere but I didn't want to punish the buyer who offered an extremely competetive rate before you tacked on such greedy (and totally bogus) postage and 'import' charges   This will be the last time i will ever use eBay until this policy is removed and/or returned to normal

Message 5055 of 6,171
latest reply

@peteytwang wrote:

Total RIP OFF -- you just overpriced yourself out of business... it would have been cheaper and faster to buy my item elsewhere but I didn't want to punish the buyer who offered an extremely competetive rate before you tacked on such greedy (and totally bogus) postage and 'import' charges   This will be the last time i will ever use eBay until this policy is removed and/or returned to normal

It's not a "policy".

Message 5056 of 6,171
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:

After all, this program is pretty much a glorified version of the forwarding services that have been around to serve non-US eBayers for a couple of decades ago.  Speaking of which, I do have to wonder if anybody has pursued any of these forwarding services in order to bypass the GSP and how their costs compare.

------------------------

I used ReShip to ship an expensive advertising clock from the 50's bypassing the GSP. In the end I paid a bit more doing this than just using the GSP. It was however about a week faster. 

Message 5057 of 6,171
latest reply

@mommy2maxim wrote:
I used ReShip to ship an expensive advertising clock from the 50's bypassing the GSP. In the end I paid a bit more doing this than just using the GSP. It was however about a week faster. 

Thanks for that info, M2M.  Would I be guessing correctly that you chose this method to avoid the possibility of your item getting mangled by the Global Shipping Center?  What shipping method did you use to get the item to Canada?  It appears that ReShip gives users a choice.

Message 5058 of 6,171
latest reply

I find the Reship site misleading with the "Shop & Pay No Sales tax" in bold letters. It means for US state sales tax when you dig deeper in the site since they are located in Oregon state which has no state sales tax. It is not "no sales tax" to your country as in sales tax and duty. The graphic map on the same page implies shipping out of country. The wording on the page in step 3 "Your sales-tax free goods are shipped using your favourite carrier."

They offer shipping by USPS, UPS and FedEx. That last two would guarantee sales taxes and duty need to be paid upfront or upon arrival to the buyer in their country. USPS would be hit and miss for Canada at least if anything was to be collected.

Please notice that the wording in step 3 "Your sales-tax free goods are shipped using your favourite carrier." seems to imply that it is possibly a non-USA (Canadian ?) operation since the spelling is in in Canada/British English and not American English where it would be spelled "favorite".

Not a very honest looking site from the main page in my opinion. Typical marketing spin to make something appear better than it is.

PS Here is the web page I was looking at

https://www.reship.com/#/

PS I am not saying that using the site is good or bad. Just a big "Buyer Beware". It does have potential to avoid repackaging/damage by the eBay GSP for about the same price.

Message 5059 of 6,171
latest reply

@pocomocomputing wrote:

I find the Reship site misleading with the "Shop & Pay No Sales tax" in bold letters. It means for US state sales tax when you dig deeper in the site since they are located in Oregon state which has no state sales tax. It is not "no sales tax" to your country as in sales tax and duty. The graphic map on the same page implies shipping out of country. The wording on the page in step 3 "Your sales-tax free goods are shipped using your favourite carrier."

They offer shipping by USPS, UPS and FedEx. That last two would guarantee sales taxes and duty need to be paid upfront or upon arrival to the buyer in their country. USPS would be hit and miss for Canada at least if anything was to be collected.

Please notice that the wording in step 3 "Your sales-tax free goods are shipped using your favourite carrier." seems to imply that it is possibly a non-USA (Canadian ?) operation since the spelling is in in Canada/British English and not American English where it would be spelled "favorite".

Not a very honest looking site from the main page in my opinion. Typical marketing spin to make something appear better than it is.

PS Here is the web page I was looking at

https://www.reship.com/#/

PS I am not saying that using the site is good or bad. Just a big "Buyer Beware". It does have potential to avoid repackaging/damage by the eBay GSP for about the same price.

I think this just shows that, if anything, buyers really need to do their homework in order to ascertain whether a particular method of delivery works for them or not.  Some buyers seem to think that buying online--even from a Canadian seller or retailer--is just as straightforward as purchasing something from a brick and mortar retailer and that's not the case at all.

In other words, one shouldn't make decisions based strictly on a flashy home page.  Information on the reship.com website seems to be fairly straightforward to find and is written in reasonably plain English, unlike the terms and conditions for the GSP.  I'd cut this service a bit of slack when it comes to the whole sales tax issue, for example.  I'll admit to being a bit confused by its claims at first, as well, as I've never used a reshipping service, but further information on what reship.com means by "no sales tax" is really easy to find on the menu links.  While the explanation is pretty straightforward, it's not something that can be easily explained in a catchy one-liner.

Having said that, I agree that buyers who aren't familiar with how the assessment of value-added tax, sales tax, and duties is performed on the importer's end will possibly get a surprise upon receipt, particularly if they use a commercial carrier to ship their item rather than the postal service.

I wouldn't read much into how whoever coded the site spelt "favourite."  After all, the word is spelt "favorite" in a larger font size near the top of the page.  The creation of the website was likely farmed out and the person doing the coding may not have been American.  The business itself does appear to be based out of Oregon according to its Facebook page, although interestingly enough, its payment processor is a division of Calgary Foreign Exchange, Ltd. (DBA "Calforex")  

One thing that does give me pause about Reship.com is that it any claims of loss or damage have to be made by the importer to the carrier.  This could prove to be a bit awkward, particularly if it's a claim made to USPS from Canada.

Message 5060 of 6,171
latest reply