Comments about the Global Shipping Program

Feel free to share your thoughts about the Global Shipping Program here. 

A few questions to get the ball rolling:

• What has worked well for you with the Global Shipping Program?
  • Any ideas to help improve the experience for Canadian buyers?
  • What has deterred you from buying items offered using the Global Shipping Program?
  • How have you managed to search for items outside the program?

Please try & keep the comments constructive 🙂

If you have any questions about the program, please post them here.

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 1 of 6,171
latest reply
6,170 REPLIES 6,170

Buying from a GSP seller means paying two shipping fees, and paying "brokerage fees". How does this benefit the buyer at all? I imagine a percentage of the mystery fees are being paid to ebay, as it is quite clear we still have no answers about how the fee breaks down. In my experience, when a business cannot detail charges it is because they are scamming you and detailing would reveal it.

Imagine if you brought your car in for an oil change and when you went to pay they wanted $300 and the only explanation was "we fixed some stuff". There is a reason mechanics don't work that way.

The only people benefitting are local merchants,... So nice work shooting your own foot ebay.

If a seller uses the GSP I move on. How can you possibly "fix" a cash grab?
Message 5061 of 6,171
latest reply

@illgiveuaquarter wrote:

Buying from a GSP seller means paying two shipping fees, and paying "brokerage fees". How does this benefit the buyer at all?

I'm not sure what you mean by "benefit."  To me, it is what it is.  If Canada Border Services were more diligent about assessing taxes/duty due on CDN$20+ items imported by mail, you'd be looking at paying taxes and duty plus a ten dollar processing fee on a lot more stuff you'd be buying by mail from outside of Canada.

If your item were shipped by ground through a carrier such as FedEx or UPS, you'd be paying those same taxes but a lot more than ten bucks in additional processing charges.  Unlike mailed items, items shipped through commercial carriers have to have taxes/duty assessed and charged on them.

Again, it is what it is.

Since the Global Shipping Program is a forwarding program, of course you're paying two shipping fees.  That's how forwarding works.

@illgiveuaquarter wrote:

I imagine a percentage of the mystery fees are being paid to ebay, as it is quite clear we still have no answers about how the fee breaks down. In my experience, when a business cannot detail charges it is because they are scamming you and detailing would reveal it.

Imagine if you brought your car in for an oil change and when you went to pay they wanted $300 and the only explanation was "we fixed some stuff". There is a reason mechanics don't work that way.

The fees aren't really as mysterious as you suggest.  There's a information page on the GSP that gives you some idea of what goes into "import charges."

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/buy/shipping-globally.html#checkout

Now if your beef is that there's little transparency with how the charges are calculated and levied, you're right about that.  However, in a GSP sale, PitneyBowes (the administrator of the GSP) is considered the "importer of record," not the eBay buyer, and they're actually the ones on record with Canada Border Services as having paid the taxes and fees on a GSP purchase.

So what you're actually doing is having someone you don't know too well bringing your car in for that oil change, paying what the mechanic is asking, and then keeping the invoice and sending you a bill for what they paid plus a fee for driving your vehicle.

Unlike the oil change and service, you can get some idea of how much money is going to PitneyBowes by subtracting the amount that would have been charged in GSP/HST/PST from the "import charges."  If that leftover amount is more than about US$5.00, it's likely that duty was charged as well, depending on the accuracy or details (or lack thereof) in the information the GSP "bot" had to work with from the seller.

@illgiveuaquarter wrote:

The only people benefitting are local merchants,... So nice work shooting your own foot ebay.

The reason why the Canadian government levies taxes and duty on imported goods is to offer some protection to Canadian merchants, or at least in theory keep things on a level playing field.  Obviously, as Canada Border Services isn't assessing and collecting these monies it's not working out in practice.

Similar deal in the United States.  In 40+ states, buyers are supposed to pay "use tax" on items they purchase from out of state but the means of collecting that tax aren't all that effective.

Having said that, I still run into US and UK sellers who don't ship to Canada through the GSP.  Sometimes they offer a better deal than what the GSP does, sometimes they don't.  Depends on the nature of the item.  But those sellers are out there, and they're not necessarily local.

@illgiveuaquarter wrote:

If a seller uses the GSP I move on. How can you possibly "fix" a cash grab?

It's not a "scam" or a "cash grab" although I've seen lots of instances where the GSP is used inappropriately by sellers and probably unknowingly in many of those instances.  I suspect that the GSP weren't around, a lot of those listings wouldn't show up in keyword or category searches on eBay Canada.

It is what it is.

Message 5062 of 6,171
latest reply

I have always used USPS from ReShip to Canada as the other options will insure you pay GST/duties. I think I paid GST once as it's hit and miss with customs as mentioned, usually miss. This is the same whether I use ReShip or not because I will never buy from any seller in the US that doesn't use USPS. UPS and their brokerage fee scams to Canada are well known. At least Fedex will allow you to pickup and broker it yourself, but it's a hassle so I avoid them as well. 

I wasn't really worried about my item being damaged by the GSP in fact I didn't realize they repackage things. I will just avoid the GSP on principle even if it does mean paying more. ReShip is quicker and that's worth the extra. 

Message 5063 of 6,171
latest reply

OHHHH i dont use the G.S.P. because its a huge rip off!!!!!! Fined a reliable receiver in the U.S. ( not BWF) then set your ebay shipping address to that U.S. address then when you bid and pay it will calculate shipping within the U.S. Some ebay sellers dont ship to Canada but when you have that U.S.address set then you can bid N.P. ......
Message 5064 of 6,171
latest reply

This Global Shipping program has effectively ruined my eBay experience. I will no longer bid on low value items when the seller is using the Global Shipping option. 

This program makes an item ridiculously expensive and the so called "Import Fee" is nothing more than padded profit for eBay and the shipping partner. It does not save me from additional Customs duty being levied.

I am afraid to say that this program will likely be the long slow death of eBay. I am already looking to alternative sites to buy and sell my items of interest.

Cut your losses and quit interfering and gouging in the shipping of items.

N J Kew

Message 5065 of 6,171
latest reply

@njkstorm wrote:

This program makes an item ridiculously expensive and the so called "Import Fee" is nothing more than padded profit for eBay and the shipping partner. It does not save me from additional Customs duty being levied.

Can you elaborate on that last sentence?  Have you been charged taxes and/or duty upon delivery on an item forwarded by the GSP? 

Message 5066 of 6,171
latest reply

This is the second item I have received merchandise through the global shipping so called program and I can guarantee it will be my last and I will inform every person selling from the U Sof A to boycott this joke of a system. Package is ending up all over the Canadian provinces except were it should be.2 weeks to get 2 cd's from a state I can through a rock too......disgusting service!!!

Message 5067 of 6,171
latest reply

I'm still waiting for a book I ordered (on AZ ) on Oct. 26. I ordered four books from four AZ sellers that day.

Only three have arrived, the first two days after ordering, the third last week. From Russell Books here in Victoria. I actually considered stopping in when I was passing on the bus last week, but it was rainy.

So it isn't the GSP. I allow 20 days for arrival from anywhere in North America. Usually it will be faster. But three weeks is not unusual either.

Oh. The AZ seller just asked me to wait another 10 days.....

Message 5068 of 6,171
latest reply

Good lord, 

It's taken over two weeks to get my phone from Addison, TX, to where I live on Vancouver Island. I've watched it's progress--Addison, Cincinnati, Kentucky, Jamaica NY,  Missisauga, and finally to Richmond, where for some inexplicable reason it's been sitting for a few days, waiting to get shipped to Cumberland, BC--which should only take about a day. 

Man, my phone has traveled over North America in two weeks than I have in 10 years! 

I do not understand this extremely circuitous route it has taken. 

Message 5069 of 6,171
latest reply

@gcggahagill wrote:

It's taken over two weeks to get my phone from Addison, TX, to where I live on Vancouver Island. I've watched it's progress--Addison, Cincinnati, Kentucky, Jamaica NY,  Missisauga, and finally to Richmond, where for some inexplicable reason it's been sitting for a few days, waiting to get shipped to Cumberland, BC--which should only take about a day. 

Man, my phone has traveled over North America in two weeks than I have in 10 years! 

I do not understand this extremely circuitous route it has taken. 

It isn't very far between Cincinnati and Erlanger, KY.  Cincinnati probably has some sort of sorting hub for whatever carrier was used to ship the phone to the Global Shipping Center.  From there, it looks as though the carrier responsible for getting the phone to Canada uses a "spoke and hub" method of shipment, with the hub in this case being Jamaica NY, which is probably home base for a lot of US-based logistics companies the way Mississauga is for Canadian ones.

Sorry your phone seemed to get the run-around, though.  I've purchased two phones that were forwarded to me through the GSP and didn't have to wait two weeks for them and I'm on Vancouver Island, too.  However, I purchased the cases for these phones at the same time as the phones from sellers who didn't use the GSP and they took even longer to arrive than the phones.  Go figure.

Message 5070 of 6,171
latest reply

I should also add that your phone's likely travelled as part of a pallet of commercial freight for much of its journey to you.  When you receive your phone, I'm betting that it's not going to have a customs form on it but it will have a Canadian return address on the shipping label.  Let me know if my hunch is correct.

As for what's going on in Richmond, keep in mind that that's the last place there's a recorded scan for the item.  It doesn't necessarily mean that it hasn't budged from there.  You may end up with a surprise on your doorstep tomorrow.  Or not.

Or maybe the shipper is waiting for a few more items destined for the Comox Valley to group with your phone to save on delivery costs.  Lots of factors at play here, unfortunately.

Message 5071 of 6,171
latest reply

So On Nov 19th I have made my first and last purchase on the GSP program. After GSP program fees the deal was no longer a deal :(......2nd negative eBay experience in the last 2 months

GSP also seems to take an excessive amount of time to ship I ship all the time Internationally for work and nothing like this!
Message 5072 of 6,171
latest reply

Has your Nov 19 purchase arrived? That would be eight days in transit, including a weekend.

I usually allow 20 days for arrival of a purchase from the USA or Canada, Sometimes I am pleasantly surprised.

There are three shippers involved.

The seller ships to the GSP plant in Kentucky usually via USPS.

That is tracked and can be seen on the eBay transaction.

Then after an average of 24 hours (from screenshots various members have posted) the parcel goes on its way to Canada. The tracking is being done, but is not easy to find or promptly uploaded.

Once in Canada, it is transferred to Canada Post (or CanPar or possibly FedEx upon occasion).

The only real 'delay' is in KY, where it is sorted for delivery to Canada (and all the other countries that buy through eBay). And that 'delay' could be offset by delays in Customs which the GSP parcels can skip because that money has been assessed and collected before the parcel gets to Canada.

Message 5073 of 6,171
latest reply

ravage
Community Member

I refuse to purchase from a seller who uses the GSP program.  With the additional costs of this program, it is cheaper for me to purchase items locally rather than to use EBay at all.  I know this isn't news, I just wanted to add my vote to those who want this program cancelled.  As a silver lining, it appears Cdn sellers are seeing a spike in business due to not being in the program.

Message 5074 of 6,171
latest reply

@ravage wrote:

I refuse to purchase from a seller who uses the GSP program.  With the additional costs of this program, it is cheaper for me to purchase items locally rather than to use EBay at all.  I know this isn't news, I just wanted to add my vote to those who want this program cancelled.  As a silver lining, it appears Cdn sellers are seeing a spike in business due to not being in the program.

Given that not all US sellers are enrolled in the Global Shipping Program, I'd say that the decline in the value of the Canadian dollar has as much--if not more--to do with the possible increase in sales for Canadian sellers.

Message 5075 of 6,171
latest reply

This global shipping junk is **bleep**..i phoned ebay today but the filipino woman didn't know what to tell me.Times are tough (unemployed atm) and funds are tight.I bought a used cell phone for my daughter for christmas.I'm in canada and it going to take a few weeks to get here.Seller is great and shipped next day with ups.Cost me almost 16 bucks US to travel 2 states and now its sits for over a day in KY at the STUPID global shipping center.And somehow ? the STUPID import charges at action end gove from a bit over 8 bucks US to over 14 ? Been a member since 2001 and never had anything but good to say till this scam.Its like spinning a wheel to see what the final costs will be.
Message 5076 of 6,171
latest reply

I am a collector of a specific band. I can not tell you how many great items I have missed out on because the GSP shipping and duty was more than the item!

I have been using eBay since I was a teen to get items that I couldn't find in local record stores, at music shows, etc. What saddens me is this is a corporate money grab and the only direction the finger should be pointed in is at eBay who would have sanctioned this deal with Pitney Bowes.

I'm willing to deal with the currently poor US dollar exchange but to be gouged for very difficult to pin point fees from PB is not something I will do.

On top of that, I have received items damaged since the GSP opens the original package as mailed by the shipper then reseals (ever noticed the circular label and ebay sealing tape?). One time they completed knifed the bottom of the item when opening the package and I was stuck with a damaged item that was mint in the pictures and when sent out.

It's **bleep**py treatment affecting loyal users and it has to stop. It makes little sense that this was a necessary change, when we were doing find without it before. I NEVER got charged duty when receiving items from US sellers, as most of what I order is under the $50 range, so why should I have to pay now?!

Message 5077 of 6,171
latest reply

Your Global Shipping Program is horrible!!! I HATE IT!!! I'm so over getting ripped off on shipping charges.  I actually I'm just going to stop using eBay... and start using Amazon. GOOD JOB IDIOTS!! Whoever came up with this piece of junk GSP should be fired. YOU SUCK EBAY

Message 5078 of 6,171
latest reply

Hello 'highspeedsteve',

<< This global shipping junk is **bleep**. . . .Cost me almost 16 bucks US to travel 2 states . . .  import charges

at action end gove from a bit over 8 bucks US to over 14 ?>>

You're right, it is 'bleep', certainly from the perspective of most international buyers.  However, I am confused about

what the problem might be regarding the charges.  When you buy a GSP item you pay the item price + shipping fee

+ import charges all at once in a single payment at the checkout.  

There should be no further alteration to the costs that you will incur.  Any chance you could provide more specific details?  

Irksome as the import charges are, when we import anything to Canada with a declared value over $20 (these days that's

just under $15 US) we are subject to charges.  The government requires it.

Often when items come through the mail they are not assessed because it costs more to collect than the amount collected.  

But Pitney-Bowes is required by law to add on the charges on amounts over $20, whether they want to or not.

So you can see how that is just another good reason to avoid GSP items.  There are lots of things to buy on ebay.  

The GSP has certainly taken the fun out of shopping here, but it is certainly possible to use the site to your advantage.  

Start by buying from sellers who do not use the GSP.  

If you feel the charges are not making sense, perhaps you could post more details so someone here can help you 

get it sorted out?

Message 5079 of 6,171
latest reply

Hello 'emilyandpamela',

<<. . . how many great items I have missed out on because the GSP shipping and duty was more than the item!>>  

Well, yes and no.  The majority of American sellers now using GSP are those whose items would previously not 

have appeared on the Canadian ebay site because they did  not want to sell outside the US.

So shopping from ebay Canada you would simply have been unaware of them.  

<< this is a corporate money grab . . . the finger should be pointed . . . at eBay who would have sanctioned this deal

with Pitney Bowes.>>  

Hmmm, well, yes and no.  Whether or not ebay will end up with a reputation as an excessively expensive online 

junk shop with laughably outrageous shipping fees remains to be seen.  But at the moment ebay seems to think 

the GSP is a pretty neat idea.

It was never intended to be good for buyers, however much some of its staunchest proponents have steadfastly 

endeavoured to trumpet its utility.  It is good for sellers, good for channeling more of the world's wealth into the 

US economy.  And alas, I fear it is here to stay so if you wish to continue your collecting the best thing you can do

for yourself is use ebay to your own advantage.  

Begin by trying to find items in Canada first.  On the left side of the page that would be Item Location.  

Then try North America or Worldwide to see who has anything by that band.

You have to train your eyes to screen out GSP listings and scroll on by, - they're the ones that say: 

Customs services and international tracking provided

in pale grey.  It is your signal to keep looking.  If, however, you find an item you dearly want and the seller is in the 

GSP, send him a kindly worded note explaining that you would buy his item in a New York minute if he would be 

willing to make it available via USPS First Class.  

You can send him this link, and point out that First Class mail to Canada provides Delivery Confirmation for American

sellers.

http://ircalc.usps.com/?country=10054

You can even gently tell them how much that GSP shipping will cost you in Canadian dollars.  Often they will say 

they had no idea it cost so much.

Some, of course, will deny your request and insist on sticking with the GSP.  Then sweetly thank him for his note 

and his time.  Maybe if he gets enough of these requests he will reconsider.  You never know.

<< I have received items damaged>>

Then you should file a claim for Not as Described  and say in the claim that it was a GSP item.  You should not 

just live with a damaged item because it came by GSP and the damage was done in Kentucky.  You are entitled 

to get what you pay for or get compensation.  

<< I NEVER got charged duty when receiving items from US sellers, as most of what I order is under the $50 range,

so why should I have to pay now?!>>

Well then you were lucky.  I've had to pay charges, but not often.  Our government requires it on items valued over 

$20.  It's the law, and Pitney-Bowes has to tack the fees on.

<< It makes little sense that this was a necessary change, when we were doing find without it before.>>

Hmmm, but it comes down to "who's we".  Buyers outside the US?  Do you think they matter most in the big picture

of ebay's annual bottom line?  Not an ort.  It was not a necessary implementation and ebay would have been a 

much better place had an effort been made instead to educate sellers on how to ship internationally.  

But for all that, people do continue to buy GSP items, now, don't they.

This is where we are now so take what you've got and work it to best suit yourself.  Don't buy from GSP listings 

if they cause you so much fury.  Nicely ask sellers to mail items to you directly through the post.  If they do so, 

thank them profusely.  If there is a problem, resolve it quietly.  

Decide what is most important to you and conduct your buying activity accordingly.

Happy shopping Smiley Very Happy

Message 5080 of 6,171
latest reply