Has anybody successfully filed a dispute with PayPal over the GSP?

Has anybody successfully filed a dispute with PayPal over the GSP? Specifically on grounds that the service is substantially different than what is advertised? tracking, consistent late delivery etc?

Getting sick and tired of paying triple for non existent fees and slower delivery than basic USPS.  Not to mention that their concept of "international tracking" consists of Item en route for weeks, with no location at all after the item gets to Canada.

Message 1 of 56
latest reply
55 REPLIES 55

Re: Has anybody successfully filed a dispute with PayPal over the GSP?

I'm going to chalk @onebadwolf 's issues as a glitch that will be ironed out eventually.

That's the spirit. Like we say in the E.R.,
Even if left untreated all bleeding stops on it's own. Eventually. One way or another.
Why bother with clamps, sutures, silver nitrate sticks and those pesky beeping tourniquets. lol
Message 21 of 56
latest reply

Your metaphor is nice, but ignores the fact that this glitch is likely being worked on, just as a similar one was worked on in the GSP early days.

And as is the case with most problems, their severity is constructed between our two ears.

Message 22 of 56
latest reply

GST is 5% -- the last time it was 7% was back in 2006.

$20 is still the free limit for duty/taxes when goods are shipped (different limit if you bring the items back yourself).  The new free trade agreement with higher limits is not yet in place. The USA only signed it into law at the end of January 2020.  Canada has still to approve the new agreement through the current parliament.

-..-

Message 23 of 56
latest reply

I thought I would chime in here again as back in 2016-2018 I probably had well over 100 transactions for GSP items I purchased, so I have perhaps a little more "history" with GSP, and it's glitches.

The estimated delivery dates can and DO change. I don't know specifics on what triggers those changes but they can change. I've seen it happen.

One of the issues with tracking with GSP is that it is fragmented. It was true back when I used it, and even today it's still true. Whatever infrastructure they use to grab data has a very difficult time keeping data accurate or up to date.

I would have purchases that never were assigned UPAA numbers, eBay tracking was non existent, as was PBI, as for PBI to track they need your UPAA #!

The biggest issue, if I had to call out one, is the decision to relay every tracking update verbatim. The reason for this is that probably the most types of threads about issues with GSP are posts were people are in a panic because eBay suddenly lists the item as "Delivered" to some US address. Honestly, get an intern to program some way to change that tracking info once it reaches the customer. You could always have a search algorithm that filters the update "Delivered" and change it to "Delivered to Customs & Labeling Partner".

As far as how transparent the GSP is, it's basically a one liner hyperlink that will show you the agreement as to data, privacy, agreement etc. So, not very obvious. Mobile checkout on eBay is notoriously broken, in fact mobile anything is broken. So it's not really surprising to see.

One of the factors is that eBay is kinda like Windows 10, they are so busy adding new features, they haven't gone back and fixed everything they broke in the last 2 years.

Thus far eBay has side stepped the issue and essentially likes to tout the money back guarantee, but if users don't/can't use it etc blah blah blah, then no skin off their nose.

It's like being stuck in a city where the mayor loves to build new shiny buildings but doesn't take care of them. It becomes a slum within a few months.

So, GSP. Run for the hills!
Message 24 of 56
latest reply

But aside from the IT issues, @retroman_studios, how is the GSP at getting your items to you? Seeing as you’ve had as many items as you’ve had forwarded through the program, it doesn’t appear that you’ve “run for the hills”. It must be doing SOMETHING right 😂
Message 25 of 56
latest reply

The biggest issue, if I had to call out one, is the decision to relay every tracking update verbatim.

Yeah. Communication is over- rated.

Seriously, I've seen so many panicky posts about how long the item is taking when actually reading the (backwards) list of confirmations shows two days with USPS a few hours with GSP, two day to the border and five days with Canada Post. Total a week or less.

But 15 or 20 notes about the movement of the package in transit.

The only necessary notice is the window for delivery.

If it hasn't arrived by the last date, the Resolution Centre awaits.

And if the GSP can't prove on time delivery, the buyer gets the purchase free when it does arrive.

Message 26 of 56
latest reply

"And if the GSP can't prove on time delivery, the buyer gets the purchase free when it does arrive."

Femme, I'm not sure where you get that info from but there is no guaranteed delivery date with the GSP.

Some US domestic transactions have 'guaranteed' delivery but even then, the item isn't free if it is late.

Message 27 of 56
latest reply

I was (gasp) using it for commercial ordering as the shop I worked at couldn't source that many components here in Canada.

The pain came from the clumsy tracking and handoff and trying to translate that to a client who wants back a system but just can't understand that the part they need is one in a million. But that's unique to my situation.

Lots of items came on time, some were late and others were, um interesting.

Probably the biggest thing I learned was the seller's mode of transport to GSP Hub was a huge factor, as the seller would have specific handling times etc. So the transit time could be an extra 2-3 days just for "handling time".

On average USPS was slower to get the item to Erlanger. FedEx was the fastest, having from what I could see a more advanced hub and spoke.

My PayPal dispute with GSP actually was the early days, because paperwork was not done on an import shipment, so it was seized. Not sure if it was a snafu or if an entire truck had paperwork go missing. It took over a month to settle it. The string of emails were kinda insane.

I never ran for the hills as I needed those parts for clients, and prices aside, it was hard to find those parts so the price was the price if you wanted it, and the cost of the GSP was rolled into my cost, so for me it didn't matter if it cost $50 more per item, the customer paid that in the final price. It's almost like being a broker.
Message 28 of 56
latest reply

Sorry if I wasn't clear.

There is a window for delivery.

It's not a guarantee, of course, but an estimate.

If the seller cannot prove delivery he loses the case.

The first day for Dispute is the last day of that window.

It's not a guarantee, of course, but an estimate.

Message 29 of 56
latest reply

Never buy anything from anyone on EBAY who is using the Global Shipping Program. It is the worst thing to ever happen to EBAY. Avoid it at all costs. It is nothing but a scam to steal money from buyers. EBAY and Pitney Bowes should both be sued for engaging in illegal activities.

Also, ignore the 5 people who are constantly on this forum defending this scam of a program. You know exactly who they are. They give "helpful" thumbs to each other whenever they post in defense of the program. Many people here know who they are.

Message 30 of 56
latest reply

Over the years being a member here I got to know these 5 people and happen to trust their opinions very much, IMHO they are sincere and genuinely want to help the newbies and those who are not new but are dealing with difficult issues.
GSP is not for everyone, I avoid any sellers that uses GSP as long as I can buy what I need from sellers who ship directly to me and use USPS but on a couple of occasions I needed items that had to be sent with GSP, I was happy that the option was available to me .
Message 31 of 56
latest reply

Hello everyone,

This thread is getting a bit heated.  Please remember that it’s fine to disagree with others, but discussion should always remain courteous and respectful.

Thank you for your cooperation.​​​​​​​

-----------------------------------------
Help us keep the community friendly and fun for everyone, check out the Guidelines
Message 32 of 56
latest reply

Videos are all over youtube which show damages that have happened to packages as a result of Pitney Bowes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35ntO9rmDzw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijmdVlQ36-w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZwZgcoc_zw

Here is just a few of them. Again, do not use this horrible shipping program. EBAY and Pitney Bowes should be sued for scamming buyers out of money, and constantly damaging people's property.

Message 33 of 56
latest reply

There are 2 reasons to open a claim with PayPal - wether the seller used GSP or not is irrelevant.

Item not received

Item not as described

If you open one just because you are not satisfied with the service, you will loose. Just like opening a claim when the seller uses UPS and you get dinged with high import fees. Even if I do not like it - there is no grounds for a dispute.

Message 34 of 56
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

It's been a while since I've made a purchase from a gsp seller but I'm sure that there was a link that I could click on with the Canada Post tracking number which showed me tracking within Canada. I don't know if the system has changed since then. I have read that in some cases they don't use Canada Post now but for me the delivery time was about the same as if the seller had sent the item direct to me.

It hasn't changed. We still have that Canada Post tracking number when they received the package.

My last purchase was in December. Item was shipped on December 9, 2019, and I received it on December 19. So only 10 days total, including weekends. That was very fast. And in my experience, it's 90% of the time that fast.

Message 35 of 56
latest reply

@dannyw1975 wrote:

Videos are all over youtube which show damages that have happened to packages as a result of Pitney Bowes.

That was in the beginning. I did have to open a lot of claims at the beginning for items damaged by GSP. But it didn't happen in a while (fingers crossed).

Message 36 of 56
latest reply

No, it is not just in the beginning. They continue to damage packages. My expensive amplifier, which I bought in 2018, showed up with a destroyed user manual as well. They cut through the manual with a stanley knife, and they ruined the packaging. This was a 64 pound package, with a 53 pound amp in it. They attempted to pull out parts of the padding and protection holding the amp in place to try and reduce the weight of the package.  Pitney Bowes is a **bleep**in trash company, and they should have a class action lawsuit thrown at them, along with EBAY.

Message 37 of 56
latest reply

There are also quite a few videos posted to YouTube about USPS, UPS and other carriers and how those carriers damage packages.  Here's just one example:

https://youtu.be/aE2_l49WUbo

Somehow those carriers stay in business, likely because those damaged packages make up a small percentage of the total volume of packages these carriers handle.  Likely the same deal with items handled by the GSP, given that it handles packages destined for over 100 different countries.

Yes, the comparison isn't exactly apples versus apples as USPS, etc. don't normally open packages that they handle, but consider why the contents may need inspection in Kentucky.  Check this section of this page entitled "Program Rules FAQ":

You will accurately specify, where possible, each parcel's weight and dimensions plus the item's country of manufacture (if known) in your listing. In the event that eBay or Pitney Bowes conclude that any such information that you specify is inaccurate upon processing the parcel at the Global Shipping Center, you authorize eBay, Pitney Bowes and/or any third party designated by either eBay or Pitney Bowes to correct this information on your behalf for this and future parcels

In other words, if sellers don't provide Pitney Bowes with information it needs to get the item out of the country, PB is going to go looking for it.  (One of those videos you linked to says pretty much that.) The problem is, sellers aren't subject to terms and conditions the way we buyers are, so they don't really know that there are "rules" and "FAQ" to check before they use the program.  That is, if they even know they're using it.

Message 38 of 56
latest reply

You have gone into every single thread for 7 years now and defended EBAY and the GSP when anyone has any complaint about either company. Why do you do this ? It is as clear as day that you have vested interests here. Do you work for EBAY ? Do you own shares in either company ? Are they paying you to be endlessly be on these forums defending EBAY and Pitney Bowes ? Something does not add up here. I have seen the same 5 people for 7 years now doing this. This is complete nonsense. All 5 of you make every effort possible to deflect anything negative which is said about the GSP.

You only have 2 transactions on your EBAY account. Often, the people with legitimate complaints about the GSP have hundreds, if not thousands of transactions on their accounts. As soon as these people state any dissatisfaction or issue with the GSP, you jump in acting like a big know-it-all. You think you are the authority on matters such as taxes, duties, shipping processes, or anything else. I think buyers and sellers with many times more transactions than you are far more knowledgeable about such matters. You constantly make an effort to talk about your 2 purchases, which were cell phones made and shipped using the GSP, and how you got "a lower price than other shipping methods". Well, guess what, marnotom! ? This is not the case for almost everyone else. There is a reason why 99 percent of people hate the GSP. It is a horrible shipping method, and everyone knows it. It is slow, expensive, and causes a much increased chance of having damage happen to the buyer's property.

People here, myself included, are sick and tired of seeing you and the other 4 people (I won't mention, but we all know who they are) defend these two companies.  Also, the mods come to yours, and the other 4 people's defense non stop. Yet, these mods will never come to the aid of those who speak about their complaints towards the GSP. I have seen you insult the intelligence of many long time EBAY users, and no mod has ever called you out for doing so. Why are you allowed to do this ? This goes against the terms of service for using these forums. No one  is allowed to say anything negative about EBAY or Pitney Bowes without you stepping in and defending these two companies. I have literally never seen one single thread to which a user talks negatively about their experience with the GSP that you have not shown up defend it. Something does not add up here. It is as though it is your life's work to defend EBAY and Pitney Bowes. You should do everyone here a favor, and shut your mouth for a change.

To the mods: Stop deleting my messages. People should be allowed to state the facts here about the GSP, EBAY, and these said users who clearly have an agenda to defend EBAY and Pitney Bowes.

Message 39 of 56
latest reply

@dannyw1975 wrote:

No, it is not just in the beginning. They continue to damage packages. My expensive amplifier, which I bought in 2018, showed up with a destroyed user manual as well. They cut through the manual with a stanley knife, and they ruined the packaging. This was a 64 pound package, with a 53 pound amp in it. They attempted to pull out parts of the padding and protection holding the amp in place to try and reduce the weight of the package.

Well, 2018 is 2 years ago... so pretty much in the beginning. That being said, I'm sorry your package was damaged. I know I had many in the first year or so. Even a few others later (especially photos). But after that, all the items arrived safe and sound. So not everyone will have the same experiences as you.

Also, you won't see people here saying "Yé, I got my GSP package without a hitch". People mostly come here to complain, not tell good stories. So it's only natural to see and read only bad experiences. That doesn't mean the good ones don't exist.

Message 40 of 56
latest reply