How do I find out actual shipping costs as opposed to what seller charged me?

How can I find out what actual shipping costs are as opposed to what seller actually charged me. When printing labels through paypal postage amount does not show up. So is there somewhere in paypal or ebay where I know I paid way too much for this item. Can somebody let me know how we find this out.

Message 1 of 84
latest reply
83 REPLIES 83

Re: How do I find out actual shipping costs as opposed to what seller charged me?

According to Pierre the seller will be responsible for shipping & maybe some handling fees.

From what i understand the seller was upfront with shipping costs & your ageed to them.

Now you don't like the terms & you sent the item back which will cost the seller some extra cash.

The seller did nothing wrong & yet you want to defend your point.

Wow.

Another buyer for our BBL.

Message 61 of 84
latest reply

Re: How do I find out actual shipping costs as opposed to what seller charged me?

Please read this thread properly before jumping to these kind of conclusions. I did not return this item. The item I returned was 4 to 5 years ago as that seller never mentioned she was using UPS,. When that item got to the door and it was a $10.00 item, UPS wanted another $58.00 on top of the $20.00 I had already paid for shipping. Since when do we pay import taxes on a $10.00 item. That is not what UPS was charging me but brokerage fees. The same as this GSP program is doing. This seller might not even be aware of this.

What I was questioning is how do I find out actual shipping charges vs. what I was actually charged. I got my answer here thank you.

What I am now questioning though is how this seller arrives at her shipping costs on her items. Her prices are all over the place. Please explain that one to me and please check this out before jumping down my neck. She has some dolls shipping cheaper to Canada than what I paid for  this dress to be shipped.

I thought this board was here for us to ask questions and to better understand some of the things that are happening here. Please explain her prices to me seeing that you seem to know it all.

Message 62 of 84
latest reply

Now you don't like the terms & you sent the item back which will cost the seller some extra cash.

The seller did nothing wrong & yet you want to defend your point.

Wow.

Another buyer for our BBL.

Please read my other posts before jumping to these kind of conclusions. I did not send this item back. And again I ask please check this seller's items and explain to me why her shipping prices are all over the place.

Message 63 of 84
latest reply

"When that item got to the door and it was a $10.00 item, UPS wanted another $58.00 on top of the $20.00 I had already paid for shipping. Since when do we pay import taxes on a $10.00 item. That is not what UPS was charging me but brokerage fees."

Sorry but that is not possible.

UPS fees are well known and there is NO brokerage fee for $10.00 shipments.  See link posted earlier.

Message 64 of 84
latest reply

Okay so you are saying its not possible. Are you implying that I am lying about this.

Well I guess the UPS guy that came to the door was trying to make a fast buck. Whatever it was and whatever you want to call it he wanted another $58.00 before leaving the package with me. I told him to send it back.

Message 65 of 84
latest reply

I am stating that UPS does not charge brokerage on $10 items.  Once again please check the UPS fee schedule (link posted earlier)

To justify such high brokerage fee, the item would have been valued at several hundred dollars, not $10.

The UPS driver has nothing to do with the charge, the tax and the brokerage fee.  Years later and without any facts, it is impossible to determine what has actually happened and why.

Message 66 of 84
latest reply

This is the first time I buy something that has that GSP program. Usually I steer clear of those because of high costs and sometimes there is Import charges where there shouldn't be.

Those two statements contradict each other. If you have never bought through the program, how would you know that there would be import charges that should not be there?

If you are charged import duty or tax on an item that is should not be charged, you can phone the CBSA.The 1=800 number is on the invoice you got when you paid the tax. It takes a while, but eventually you will get that money back. Not the "brokerage " or "service" fee from the shipping company though.

Same if you are returning an item you imported. You can call the CBSA and get those importation costs returned, since you are now exporting the items. But again it is not instant and you don't get any money back from the shipper.

Message 67 of 84
latest reply

What I am now questioning though is how this seller arrives at her shipping costs on her items. Her prices are all over the place. Please explain that one to me and please check this out before jumping down my neck. She has some dolls shipping cheaper to Canada than what I paid for  this dress to be shipped.

The seller uses the GSP. The seller sets the price from their location to the GPS center in Kentucky. It looks like that cost is usually just a few dollars. The international portion of the shipping price is set by the GSP. Neither the seller or anyone here can tell you how the GSP decides what their shipping prices are.

Even if a seller does not use the GSP, noone here could give you a definitive answer about how the sellers decides what to charge for shipping. There could be many factors involved.... Only the seller would know for sure. You could  message them and ask them if they are willing to ship a less expensive way. If they are not willing or if it is not possible, buy from someone else.

Message 68 of 84
latest reply

Good Gawd, so many twists & turns, inconsistencies & contradictions on the OPs posts. I don't know what to believe anymore.

I'll just sign off on this topic.

Too exhausting.

Message 69 of 84
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

I am stating that UPS does not charge brokerage on $10 items.  Once again please check the UPS fee schedule (link posted earlier)

To justify such high brokerage fee, the item would have been valued at several hundred dollars, not $10.

The UPS driver has nothing to do with the charge, the tax and the brokerage fee.  Years later and without any facts, it is impossible to determine what has actually happened and why.

The only possibility I can think of is that the declared value of the item was erroneous.

Message 70 of 84
latest reply

"The only possibility I can think of..."

That is one.

I can think of many more, including a simple error by UPS, or a faulty memory or confusion regarding charges and/or value, or... or... or...

Message 71 of 84
latest reply

"The only possibility I can think of..."

My thought was that the seller marked the item as a "gift" or undervalued it. Then the package was opened and inspected by the CBSA officer on duty at the UPS warehouse (whether in Canada or the USA) and re-valued based on either guesswork or an invoice for the real amount inside the package.

I had another one that involved time travel, four jugglers, a baseball team and a British Police Box, but it was just silly.

I brought you some supper but if you'd prefer a lecture, I've a few very catchy ones prepped...sin and hellfire... one has lepers.- Shepherd Derrial Book

Message 72 of 84
latest reply

No, not a faulty memory. LOL I remember that one perfectly as I couldn't believe it myself. That was the end of anything being shipped by UPS from the US for me. I always ask sellers  after that if unsure whether it was UPS or USPS.

Message 73 of 84
latest reply

Also!

If the seller has to take transit, or take a drive out to the post office, yes, it is quite fair to add this on. If you spend $3 say on a single use bus ticket to mail off a parcel at the post office, of course you should get compensation. Especially if you sell less than one item a month! It's a special trip in which that bus ticket is a legit part of the shipping and handling expenses.
Message 74 of 84
latest reply

Another zombie thread-- this one from 2013!

Message 75 of 84
latest reply

"...of course you should get compensation...."

With that type of thinking you will have a very short life in sales and marketing.

Message 76 of 84
latest reply

'nerdy,'

As Femefan said, this is a thread from 2013. Not many people will see your post because it is this old. Why not start a new thread? You probably would get more replies.

This is my POSTING id.
Message 77 of 84
latest reply

@xeposter wrote:

'nerdy,'

As Femefan said, this is a thread from 2013. Not many people will see your post because it is this old. Why not start a new thread? You probably would get more replies.

Any topic, new or old, shows as an unread topic in the list of topics. So a new topic or a new reply to an old topic will be seen in the list of unread posts in a forum. No difference in visibility.

Message 78 of 84
latest reply

@pocomocomputing wrote:

@xeposter wrote:

'nerdy,'

Any topic, new or old, shows as an unread topic in the list of topics. So a new topic or a new reply to an old topic will be seen in the list of unread posts in a forum. No difference in visibility.

Yes, but how many people look back at posts from 2013?

This is my POSTING id.
Message 79 of 84
latest reply

@xeposter wrote:
Yes, but how many people look back at posts from 2013?

What drew your attention to this one?  Smiley Very Happy

Message 80 of 84
latest reply