How do I find out actual shipping costs as opposed to what seller charged me?

How can I find out what actual shipping costs are as opposed to what seller actually charged me. When printing labels through paypal postage amount does not show up. So is there somewhere in paypal or ebay where I know I paid way too much for this item. Can somebody let me know how we find this out.

Message 1 of 84
latest reply
83 REPLIES 83

"Because you said the exact opposite"

???

I wish folks would read the complete message and the context. That thread dealt with combined shipping.

Message 21 of 84
latest reply

No, there is no shipping price marked on the envelope. And no its just a simple brown envelope that has been cut up some to make it smaller. Measures about 8" by 10" or so. And taped at one end.

Message 22 of 84
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

"Because you said the exact opposite"

???

I wish folks would read the complete message and the context. That thread dealt with combined shipping.

I'm sorry, but it's exactly the same to me. The fact that it was combined shipping or not doesn't change anything: shipping prices were up-front.

Message 23 of 84
latest reply

@luv4orphans wrote:

No, there is no shipping price marked on the envelope. And no its just a simple brown envelope that has been cut up some to make it smaller. Measures about 8" by 10" or so. And taped at one end.

Then you are right, the seller obviously overcharged you, because an 8x10 envelope weighting only 23 grams and not bending easily cost him $6.55 to ship (or $6.16 if the label was done through eBay or online): http://ircalc.usps.com/MailServices.aspx?country=10054&m=2&p=0&o=0.8113&MailingDate=8/15/2013&Mailin...#

Look under "First Class International Options" in the link I gave above.

Message 24 of 84
latest reply

Thank you. The envelope was sent Priority. I went to USPS website yesterday to try to figure this out but couldn't. Can you check for me. Its not a stiff envelope, just those normal brown paper envelopes. Well a bit thicker than paper.

I usually give my buyers a choice on the smaller ticket items if I can ship a cheaper way. Who wants to pay $20.00 - $25.00 on a $10.00 ticket item. I  wouldn't be selling much otherwise. So I take my chances.

Message 25 of 84
latest reply

@luv4orphans wrote:

Thank you. The envelope was sent Priority. I went to USPS website yesterday to try to figure this out but couldn't. Can you check for me. Its not a stiff envelope, just those normal brown paper envelopes. Well a bit thicker than paper. 

Well, if it was sent Priority Mail, then the cost was $28.25 (or $27.40 online/eBay). You were not ripped off. In fact, the seller lost money on shipping. If the seller would have used a Flat Rate envelope (which is not the case as you said), then the cost would have been $19.95 (online or not).

By the way, are you sure it is 23 grams and not 23 ounces? Because the prices may vary if it is ounces.

Message 26 of 84
latest reply

It says 0.23 kg.

Message 27 of 84
latest reply

0.23 kg. = 230 grams = appx 8 oz

Message 28 of 84
latest reply

Well don't ask me. I am getting 2.50 oz on my scale

And 0.71 grams???

Yet on this envelope I just weighed it says 0.23 kg

Message 29 of 84
latest reply

If this came from the U.S., I find it odd that the weight would be metric. In this case, regardless if the item weighed 2.5 ounce or 8 ounces, the cost would be the same.

Message 30 of 84
latest reply

Okay, I just saw something that I hadn't noticed before. The reason I could not find shipper's address on package is because this was sent to Mississauga to probably the Global Shipping Outlet. Underneath this is another label and I can't get the one on top totally off with the seller's address and the label reading USPS FIRST CLASS PKG.

The only EXPEDITED on here is once it got to Mississauga to me. The other label underneath says USPS FIRST CLASS TM PKG

Now, how much does it cost to use that famous Global  Shipping Program that ebay came up with is my next question????

Do I need to take a picture and post it on here now? LOL

Message 31 of 84
latest reply

And the weight on this is 0 lbs. 3 ozs.

Message 32 of 84
latest reply

I went to the website you mentioned. I think those are just general guidelines or maybe if you actually use those envelopes. But even then I have a hard time with that one because I do buy from the US and have gotten shoes, etc. lately  and it certainly didn't cost no $21.00. So where you told me to go to doesn't make any sense.

I notice you are from Canada and don't seem to have purchased anything since July 2012. So if you are going by that. And even though there has been a bit of a jump in price in US in January how does one justify $12.00 for a pair of shoes/sandals and a flimsy baby dress that weighs 3 oz with envelope at $21.00 and clearly marked FIRST CLASS.

Message 33 of 84
latest reply

Oh, I see. This is a GSP item? Then the cost you paid ($21) didn't went in total to the seller. It went part to him and part to GSP. Do you have the item number? That would be VERY helpful!

Message 34 of 84
latest reply

@luv4orphans wrote:

I notice you are from Canada and don't seem to have purchased anything since July 2012. 

This is my selling ID. I only used it in the beginning to gain some kind of "credibility", then I stopped buying here because I established myself as an honest and trustworthy seller.

My purchase ID on the other hand exists since 2000 and I have over 900 feedbacks and still counting. 😉

Message 35 of 84
latest reply

I went to the website you mentioned. I think those are just general guidelines or maybe if you actually use those envelopes. But even then I have a hard time with that one because I do buy from the US and have gotten shoes, etc. lately  and it certainly didn't cost no $21.00

The USPS website does not give guidelines, it gives the actual shipping price. You gave the information that the seller used Priority Mail and those are the prices for Priority. First class is less expensive which is probably what your shoe seller used.

Now you are suggesting the listing is a GSP listing? That makes a big difference. It's difficult to give any accurate information unless your provide all of the correct information such as the item number.  All GSP listings state Priority International Shipping which does not mean they are sending the item by one specific service.

Message 36 of 84
latest reply

Is this for item 251309759477?

That is a GSP item and you were not charged any import charges. The shipping charges consist of what the seller charges to send the item domestically...in this case $3.32....plus what Pitney Bowes charges for shipping and handling fees. So out of that $20.96 you paid, the seller received $3.32, and PB received the rest. I agree that is expensive for shipping that item, but it is stated clearly in the listing., Sellers should not use the GSP for less expensive items as it rarely works out in the buyer's favour, however most sellers seem unaware of that. It is up to you as the buyer to decide if you want to pay the shipping fees stated,or ask the seller if they can ship another way. If you aren't happy with the shipping charges, then don't buy the item.

Message 37 of 84
latest reply

I'm a little confused over this.

Everyone is willing to offer advice but you are reluctant to provide any additional information or an item number.

If your next post does not include an item number, we will have to start to question why.

Message 38 of 84
latest reply

Thanks PJ, obviously you graduated from the Poco Private Investigation Program.Smiley Happy

I guess we finally have the full story.

Message 39 of 84
latest reply

Sorry I had company and haven't been at computer for a few hours. Nobody asked me for item number until now. But I was under the impression that we are not allowed to mention seller's ID in these posts.??

251309759477 is the item number we are talking about. Please look at some of the other items this seller is selling and charges are about the same for shipping a doll head in a box as it is for shipping a small baby dress in a box.

Why is there extra to be paid if somebody is using GSP program? And why did this seller have other similar items listed at the same time and shipping to Canada on those varied from $14.00 to $16.00. Yet this one costs $21.00.

Message 40 of 84
latest reply