Is there a time guideline for a Seller to get a Parcel out the door & to the Post Office?

Both the Seller & Buyer are located in Canada. The Seller rates at 100% for 200+ transactions.

It's been close to a week since I purchased an item, Canada Post Tracking shows  "Electronic information submitted by shipper" since the day I purchased the item, no progress since. I sent a message to the Seller, no response as yet although it's been only a day now. I feel close to a week is a long time just to get a Parcel out the door.

I will usually ship the next day once the payment is cleared.  If I am selling a larger item,  I make sure I have a box ready for the item to ship if it sells.

Just wondering how long to wait if I finally decide to cancel the order.

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Is there a time guideline for a Seller to get a Parcel out the door & to the Post Office?

@robertqc2017 wrote:

It's been close to a week since I purchased an item, Canada Post Tracking shows  "Electronic information submitted by shipper" since the day I purchased the item, no progress since. I sent a message to the Seller, no response as yet although it's been only a day now. I feel close to a week is a long time just to get a Parcel out the door.

You can't cancel the order yourself, not after all this time.  You would have to ask the seller for a cancellation, and if the seller is not responding, well, ...

You are right that this is enough time for a parcel to get on its way.  Maybe the seller slipped on the ice and fractured a hip, or injured his back shovelling the snow.  Maybe her husband had a heart attack, maybe his wife had a baby.  Maybe SHE had a baby, or their child was in an accident.  Maybe they are badly snowed in, the car won't start, and they can't maneuver their wheel chair in this weather.  Could be anything.  

Why not send the seller one last note being VERY nice and polite and asking if they are OK and if all is well, and suggesting if they are having any difficulty you understand about these things, and that you would be willing to cancel if that would be best.  

Give it a day or 2, and if you STILL hear nothing then you may as well just file a claim and get your money back.  You can be nice about that too, but business is business.  

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

It's also possible the seller mailed it but it has not been scanned anywhere along the line.  If so, the seller should have told you this.  And if it is in the mail, when you send your very nice note of understanding, the seller should tell you then that it is on its way.  

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Reply to both posts:

In my first message to the Seller I did mention of the possibility that the parcel may have not been scanned although did also politely inquire if the parcel had been mailed as yet. Of course there is a daily time zone to deal with therefore I will wait two more evenings for either a response from the seller or hopefully some movement with the Canada Post tracking system.

I understand anything can happen  at the most unpredictable times, the reason why communication is important for our daily lives,no matter if it's business or personal.

After a couple of days, I will politely ask if it would be preferable to cancel the transaction at this time. If I receive the silent treatment then, I will have no other option than to contact Ebay & PayPal.

The issue is that this is a difficult item to find at a reasonable cost, another same item, bidding will end too soon.

I prefer to receive a refund before bidding on another, worse, I would not need two of them.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

It seems the seller decided to leave his/ her couch & warmth of the house to mail the parcel as it was finally accepted at the Post Office. No message reply as yet from the seller although knowing the parcel is it's on it's way is assuring.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

@robertqc2017 wrote:

It seems the seller decided to leave his/ her couch & warmth of the house to mail the parcel 

Or now that his wife is out of Intensive Care he can return home and attend to business matters.   :-)  

The important thing is your item is coming.  I can believe that must have been really frustrating when you want the one at a good price but don't know what gives, and you don't dare bid on the second one because you absolutely do not need 2 of them.  

But it's on its way, no border crossings, so it will be there soon.  

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Received a casual message from the seller only stating that my parcel was dropped off at the Post Office & there should be some tracking activity. Previously a similar delay happened although the seller did message he was out of town, didn't expect the item to sell, therefore apologized in advance for an expected delay for shipping. Communication is the key!
Message 7 of 10
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member
Does it appear as though the item will arrive outside of the delivery estimate timeframe provided by eBay in the listing?
Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Time will tell although that would be something I would not wager $$$ on either way.
Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Hi, many times when a buyer in Canada purchases from me, I use Chit Chat and the tracking number is issued but is not updated until it reaches the province it is supposed to go to.  So from BC to Ont it travels by truck and doesn't show up on tracking till quite a few days later.  I wouldn't worry about it too much unless it is taking over 2 weeks.  

One of my examples:

sample.jpg

Message 10 of 10
latest reply