Questions about the Global Shipping Program

Do you have questions about the Global Shipping Program? Please post here & I'll do my best to track those answers down for you!

If you have any comments about the program, use this forum instead.

Thanks,

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 5 of 3,104
latest reply
3,103 REPLIES 3,103

Re: Ebay Global forwarding

dn4kme
Community Member

Over the years in dealing with Ebay I have incured no problems. Lately with this Global shipping I have had nothing but problems. This last  one was a small part ordered 19 days ago and no one can find it. Seller has sent it and I have been in contact with him. It is not his fault. Whee is my item. Can't get in touch with anyone so am trying this. 

Message 281 of 3,104
latest reply

I like a ring that a seller has a ring as a BIN price of $20.00 and listed with shipping costs through that ridiculous Global Shipping Program. The shipping costs are at $12.16 and customs duty at $8.16. The $12.16 is not so bad but I know she could ship USPS first class with delivery confirmation for under $9.00. The way it is now it hikes the ring another $20.00. So I decided to make an offer or try to make an offer.

I tried to make an offer at $16.00 and its a good thing I was paying attention. The shipping price cost went up to $15.59 but no duty or taxes to pay.  So I tried offer at $15.00 only to find out that shipping costs are now at $16.59.

Does anybody understand this one? Same ring, same location, same distance to travel.  Shipping costs to them, their fee, etc. Why the price hike the lower the offer?? I have contacted the seller to see if maybe they could ship themselves instead of this program but have not heard back yet. I am waiting it out as I refuse to pay ridiculous shipping costs. I usually steer clear of GSP but have tried to find another one like that. Some similar but not quite.

Message 282 of 3,104
latest reply

For Canadian buyers, when the value of most "casual imports" (Canada Border Services term) falls below C$20, no taxes or duty will be charged.  However, the GSP will still charge a small amount for import/export clearance, rubber-stamping, whatever you want to call it.

When the item is that low in value, those clearance charges will be folded into the shipping charge rather than stated as part of the item's "import charges".  I get the impression that too many Canadian buyers were confused about why they were still charged "import charges" for non-taxable/non-dutiable items, so those responsible for the Global Shipping Program decided to relocate them.

There's a bit more information on how import charges work in section 3 of the terms and conditions page for buyers using the GSP:

http://pages.ebay.ca/shipping/globalshipping/buyer-tnc.html

I have no idea why the clearance fees would be more expensive when the item is priced at $15 rather than $16, however, and your seller wouldn't likely know, either, as they don't charge for the Kentucky-to-Canada portion of the item's transport to Canada; the GSP does.

Message 283 of 3,104
latest reply

At $20.00 the cost of shipping this item is at $12.16 with GSP.

At $16.00 the cost goes up to $15.59

At $15.00 the cost goes up to $16.59

That's what I don't get. I understand duty and taxes. We rarely have to pay it if seller ships without the program. It does happen but not very often. I guess it depends on whether Customs wants to bother or not. And most time they don't bother, they jjust let it through.

What I don't understand is the price hike above.

Message 284 of 3,104
latest reply

I explained the difference between the "import charges" on the $20 item versus the $16 item, but I have no explanation for the difference between the $16 and the $15.

Remember that a US$20 item is going to be subject to taxes as that's above the tax/duty free threshold of C$20 at current exchange rates.  Then there's some processing fees on top of that.

With a $15 and $16 sale, the processing fees are added to the shipping charge rather than being listed separately with the import charges.  Again, I have no explanation as to why they're higher for a less costly sale.

Message 285 of 3,104
latest reply

"Regarding “maple syrup is not taxable (GST/HST) when entering Canada (or within Canada for that matter) as it is considered basic grocery and, as such, tax exempt.”, we don’t support such tax exemptions for Canada."

Eh? What?? So you ARE admitting it's a money grab and a scam on GSP's part. Charge a fee that shouldn't be there and use that BS excuse to justify it?

That's the way I interpret it and it's a blatant rip-off towards eBay's Canadian buyers.

Tell me I am wrong.

Message 286 of 3,104
latest reply

Hi afantiques.

Regarding the coins, that is definitely odd. 

I can send a general note to the product team but it would be great to have some specific transactions/items to share w/ them. Don't mean to assign you "homework" ... but can you send an example or two?

Thanks.

---Ben

Message 287 of 3,104
latest reply

Alright I get it. But think about it. What you are telling me is that the processing fees is in the import charges. If there is no import charges because item is under $20.00 then the cost of shipping this item to me by GSP (or Pitney Bowes I think is what they are called) is free? I don't think so, its already added on into the shipping fees no? I am almost certain that there is processing fees whether its $20.00 or under. They are certainly not doing this for nothing or out of the goodness of their hearts are they? Or do they only start charging a processing fee for items that are over $20.00 or above. Obviously not.

Sellers in the US ship to this outfit which is cheap for them as they are shipping within their own country. So maybe they avoid a lot of the fees that the rest of us have to pay on shipping charges. One item doesn't make much of a difference but add 100 or 200 items at cheap shipping rates. Customs doesn't bother most of the time with collecting the duty and taxes. I was going to say something but I certainly don't want to put something like that on here. So they get this outfit to collect for them and of course its good for the US sellers. Do do they get nailed on the $3.00 that it costs to ship to Pitney Bowes or on the whole $15.59 that Pitney Bowes is charging me to ship the item to me?

Pitney is making money or they wouldn't be doing it whether an item is $20,00, $15.00 or $200.00.

Message 288 of 3,104
latest reply

Hi fdia9769.

If the item has still not arrived, you should file an Item Not Received case. Everything should happen automatically from there as far as refunds, etc.

This will also alert Pitney Bowes that the item has not arrived in case it is still stuck in transit. 

Please post back or send me a Private Message if you have any further questions. 

---Ben

Message 289 of 3,104
latest reply

@luv4orphans wrote:

Alright I get it. But think about it. What you are telling me is that the processing fees is in the import charges. If there is no import charges because item is under $20.00 then the cost of shipping this item to me by GSP (or Pitney Bowes I think is what they are called) is free? I don't think so, its already added on into the shipping fees no? I am almost certain that there is processing fees whether its $20.00 or under. They are certainly not doing this for nothing or out of the goodness of their hearts are they? Or do they only start charging a processing fee for items that are over $20.00 or above. Obviously not.

One more time.  🙂  When the value of an item is more than C$20, the processing charges are added to the taxes and called "import charges".  When the value of an item is less than that, the processing charges are simply added to the shipping charge.  The processing fees are never added to both the import charges and shipping charges.

@luv4orphans wrote:

Sellers in the US ship to this outfit which is cheap for them as they are shipping within their own country. So maybe they avoid a lot of the fees that the rest of us have to pay on shipping charges. One item doesn't make much of a difference but add 100 or 200 items at cheap shipping rates. Customs doesn't bother most of the time with collecting the duty and taxes. I was going to say something but I certainly don't want to put something like that on here. So they get this outfit to collect for them and of course its good for the US sellers. Do do they get nailed on the $3.00 that it costs to ship to Pitney Bowes or on the whole $15.59 that Pitney Bowes is charging me to ship the item to me?

If a US seller is doing their job properly, they'll only be paying Final Value Fees on the item price and their first listed domestic shipping option, no matter if they're using the Global Shipping Program or shipping directly to their non-US buyers.

The GSP has been around for over a year now.  I think that at this stage, the sellers who are using it are ones who haven't offered international shipping in the past and have figured that the GSP makes it somehow easier for them.  It's marketed as making international shipping as simple as domestic shipping.  Once PitneyBowes takes possession of the shipment, the seller is no longer responsibility for loss, damage or delays in customs, for instance.  

Of course, the marketers had to make this program somehow attractive to the buyers who are actually footing the bill for the service, so they went with the "all customs charges pre-paid" angle.  That might work in some instances, but probably not for the types of items most Canadians buy from the US through eBay.

@luv4orphans wrote:

PitneyBowes is making money or they wouldn't be doing it whether an item is $20,00, $15.00 or $200.00.

Of course it is.  Last I checked, PitneyBowes was a business, not a registered charity.  🙂  Having said that, on most of the items I've checked, the amount that PitneyBowes charges above the taxes and duties due seems to be less than Canada Post's C$9.95 charge for collecting and remitting taxes assessed by Canada Border Services.  Given that there are several subcontractors working with PitneyBowes and eBay on the GSP, I suspect that PitneyBowes' slice of the pie is a pretty slim one indeed.

Message 290 of 3,104
latest reply

Hi afantiques and theoldestfart. 

I'll paste a couple quotes and links below. 

But the way the refund process should work is that the buyer is entitled to a full refund in cases of SNAD, INR, and even buyer's remorse. If you have experienced something less than that please let me know via Private Message and include full details  (transaction #, email address and user id used in the transaction, etc.).

Here are a couple quotes from the Buyer Terms & Conditions page ( http://pages.ebay.com/shipping/globalshipping/buyer-tnc.html ). Afantiques, as you know this issue has come up a lot. But I can assure you that the buyer is indeed entitled to the full refund ("if conditions are met" and all that other legaleeze ....)

"Lost, Damaged, or Undeliverable Items. If a GSP Item that you purchase is not delivered to the delivery address specified by you, it is damaged, or it does not match your Seller’s description, your purchase may be covered by an eBay Buyer Protection or PayPal Purchase Protection program, as described below."

"If you are eligible for eBay Buyer Protection and eBay finds in your favor in a case stemming from your purchase of a GSP Item under the Program, the applicable coverage amount will include the Program Fees that you paid for the GSP Item."

You can also find a good summary of Terms & Conditions on the new GSP landing page: http://pages.ebay.com/gsp

Hope this helps.

---Ben

Message 291 of 3,104
latest reply

Canada Post doesn't charge for collecting the money. That's a fee that Customs charges for processing the paperwork. It used to be $4.99. I haven't paid duty and taxes or any other fees in so long that I couldn't really tell you what's what but my understanding of this is that the post office collects the fee for Customs. How else are they going to do this. The item comes through the post office.

Actually I did pay this duty/tax fee 3-4 months ago. It was something that was shipped through the GSP.

Message 292 of 3,104
latest reply

If a US seller is doing their job properly, they'll only be paying Final Value Fees on the item price and their first listed domestic shipping option, no matter if they're using the Global Shipping Program or shipping directly to their non-US buyers.

The GSP has been around for over a year now.  I think that at this stage, the sellers who are using it are ones who haven't offered international shipping in the past and have figured that the GSP makes it somehow easier for them.  It's marketed as making international shipping as simple as domestic shipping.  Once PitneyBowes takes possession of the shipment, the seller is no longer responsibility for loss, damage or delays in customs, for instance.  

Of course, the marketers had to make this program somehow attractive to the buyers who are actually footing the bill for the service, so they went with the "all customs charges pre-paid" angle.  That might work in some instances, but probably not for the types of items most Canadians buy from the US through eBay.

All I am saying here is that its cheaper for sellers to ship to Pitney Bowes than to Canada. So they are saving on their shipping fees that they would have to pay out to ebay right there. If you are a small time seller it wouldn't make much of a difference. But the ones that are really saving with this are the ones with the high volume of sales. The rest of us meaning out of the US don't have that option. But I would think from what I am reading in this forum that a lot of canadians have learned to stay away from anybody that uses that program

It might make it easier to ship overseas with this program as it does give some tracking. But shipping costs are already high enough without the added fees that Pitney Bowes charges. But if buying a big ticket item it no doubt gives some piece of mind but there is also stories where item got lost once GSP shipped it and who is responsible. So no foolproof way here. Just that much more expensive for small ticket items.

Message 293 of 3,104
latest reply

"Canada Post doesn't charge for collecting the money."

The $9.95 fee charged by Canada Post is a revenue to Canada Post, not Canada Customs.  Canada Post remits the amount of tax(es) and duty (if applicable) to Canada Customs and retains the $9.95 fee to cover its collection and handling costs.

Canada Customs does not charge the fee.

Message 294 of 3,104
latest reply

luv4orphans - please do not take my word for it.  Please check the official government of Canada website:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/postal-postale/duty-droits-eng.html

"To process goods imported as mail that are subject to duty and/or tax, Canada Post charges the recipient CAN$9.95."

Message 295 of 3,104
latest reply

@luv4orphans wrote:

All I am saying here is that its cheaper for sellers to ship to Pitney Bowes than to Canada. So they are saving on their shipping fees that they would have to pay out to ebay right there.

I'm not following you here.  Generally speaking, buyers cover the seller's shipping costs on eBay, so it doesn't matter if the item ships cheaply or more expensively as long as the seller has those shipping fees covered by the buyer.

If you're referring to the fees that eBay charges on sellers' shipping charges, again, that doesn't matter for sales made by US sellers to non-US locations because--if a seller is doing everything properly--eBay won't charge fees on international shipping charges, no matter if the seller uses the GSP or ships directly to the buyer.

See the section on this announcements page marked "Remember":

http://announcements.ebay.com/2011/07/final-value-fee-rates-updated-to-reward-low-cost-shipping/

Message 296 of 3,104
latest reply

Sorry, ben, quoting your post 110 in this thread

Returning of the product is not a requirement for refund. Once the Not As Described case is reported the refund portion should begin automatically, with the shipping and import fees refunded by eBay / Pitney Bowes.

Is not readable from these terms.

"Lost, Damaged, or Undeliverable Items. If a GSP Item that you purchase is not delivered to the delivery address specified by you, it is damaged, or it does not match your Seller’s description, your purchase may be covered by an eBay Buyer Protection or PayPal Purchase Protection program, as described below."

"If you are eligible for eBay Buyer Protection and eBay finds in your favor in a case stemming from your purchase of a GSP Item under the Program, the applicable coverage amount will include the Program Fees that you paid for the GSP Item."

Which refer to items that MAY be covered by standard PP and eBay dispute process. The is not even a hint that return of the item is not required. I'd really like to know where the suggestion that returns are not required comes from. I don't doubt that you are just passing on what you have been told, in good faith. Trouble is the holy writ does not seem to support this reading.

Message 297 of 3,104
latest reply

If it got to the Kentucky center OK, then it is the liability and responsibility of the reshippers, so start the ebay item not received process when you can. That may chase it up and if not any refund will not come from your seller.

Message 298 of 3,104
latest reply

ben, I'll PM you tomorrow, it's bedtime here.

Message 299 of 3,104
latest reply

Thanks for clarifying that.

Usually there is a paper attached to package from Customs office when we have to pay duty or tax and there is usually a $5.00 fee for processing this. I have had times where I might have had to pay $8.00 in duty. Where does the $9.95 fee come in. All I had to pay was the $8.00 customs fee. Out of that $5.00 is for processing to Customs, the rest is tax. 

As I said earlier though, it hasn't happened to me in a while that I have had to pay duty tax on anything so I am not sure. When did Canada Post start charging $9.95. I don't remember ever having had to pay this fee. 

Message 300 of 3,104
latest reply