Questions about the Global Shipping Program

Do you have questions about the Global Shipping Program? Please post here & I'll do my best to track those answers down for you!

If you have any comments about the program, use this forum instead.

Thanks,

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 5 of 3,104
latest reply
3,103 REPLIES 3,103

Re: Questions about the Global Shipping Program

How can an item that is currently being bid at just little over a dollar show import charges of $46 (based on the current bid)?

This item would not have any duty (tax about 15 cents) so that is pure profit.   I see this over and over.  It especially drives me crazy when I do a search with price + shipping lowest first only to find there is a 'global' charge of $50 on top of the $20 ($1 + $19 shipping).

Message 541 of 3,104
latest reply

>>>Sellers can opt in/out for specific items

Not if there are one or more bids on the item, as mentioned in the question. Just a quibble but marginally relevant.

Message 542 of 3,104
latest reply

How can an item that is currently being bid at just little over a dollar show import charges of $46 (based on the current bid)?

Can you give a few examples of such items? Glitches can't be fixed unless they are known.

Message 543 of 3,104
latest reply

"How can an item that is currently being bid at just little over a dollar show import charges of $46 (based on the current bid)?"

Is there a Buy-it-Now?  If so, the import charges are calculated on that basis.  They will be adjusted based on the actual closing price.

Message 544 of 3,104
latest reply

recently I noticed some sellers charging import and custom charges. this seem to be a rip off. who gets this money? when I buy from ebay the Canadian post office charges these fees if applicable. most time I don't have to pay customs. why the extra fee all of a sudden. is this a money grab for the seller or paypal? thankyou very much.

Message 545 of 3,104
latest reply

Its the Global Shipping Program and was set up by eBay to encourage US sellers to sell internationally.

The advantage for the seller is that she ships to a central US address and has Confirmation of Delivery. That is the shipping charge she collects from you.

Then PitneyBowes who run the program charge the duty (if any) and sales tax, which are due on any import over $20, and add a small charge (about $5) to ship the parcel from their plant in Kentucky to your doorstep.

EBay has done an incredibly bad job of explaining to US sellers that they should not use the GSP for items costing less than $50. Canadian sellers who have crunched the numbers would put that at $100.

If you see something with this

Customs services and international tracking provided

You've found an item with GSP included.

You can contact the seller, who is at least interested in selling internationally, and ask if she will ship by First Class International instead. Let her know that this USPS service is now Delivery Confirmed to Canada and can handle parcels up to four pounds in weight.

She might say yes.

Note that if the parcel will be bulky and over $100 value, you may well be better off with the GSP than gambling that CBSA will let your import slide through.

Message 546 of 3,104
latest reply

BTW - the seller doesn't see any of these charges. Duty and tax go to the Canadian government and the service charge to PitneyBowes for transport and other costs.

Message 547 of 3,104
latest reply

Then PitneyBowes who run the program charge the duty (if any) and sales tax, which are due on any import over $20, and add a small charge (about $5) to ship the parcel from their plant in Kentucky to your doorstep.

The shipping charge is another amount entirely, the (about $5) figure is for brokerage fee. You may have meant something like this but the way it reads it looks like items could have very, very cheap shipping.

They don't, although very heavy items can be cheaper than USPS international parcels.

You can contact the seller, who is at least interested in selling internationally,

They may well have no idea they are selling internationally. I think you are a bit optimistic here. 🙂

Message 548 of 3,104
latest reply

The isn't any duty on used good under a certain amount to ship to Canada but the fees are stilled charged.

There isn't a resolution process either.

This is UNFAIR to Canadian users. When will this be resolved and all the overcharges refunded?

Message 549 of 3,104
latest reply

"The isn't any duty on used good under a certain amount to ship to Canada but the fees are stilled charged."

That is correct.

The "import charges" by Pitney Bowes often reflect their administration charge of about $4/$5 per shipment.  Taxes if applicable are added if the goods are taxable (over $20).  Duty will also be added at times for the few imported items that are dutiable.

When coming by mail directly from the seller, taxable goods valued at Cdn$ 20 or more may be assessed taxes (GST/HST/PST) and duty (if applicable) plus a $9.95 administration charge by Canada Post (that $9.95 charge is a flat rate and applies regardless of the value of the shipment once taxes are assessed by Canada Customs).

For more information, please visit this webpage from the Government of Canada:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/postal-postale/duty-droits-eng.html

Message 550 of 3,104
latest reply

I live in Canada and sold an item on ebay,com because I get much more  activity but a Canadian purchased my item and I  will ship direct to him from my Canadian address but the bill keeps showing the global shipping fees

How do I cancel this

Message 551 of 3,104
latest reply

You need to make sure you are opted out of the GSP. I assume you ship from a border town for convenience or to use cheaper USPS services, but since your items are not located in the US they are not GSP eligible anyway.

If you can get your buyer to request an invoice from you, you can then send a non GSP invoice with your Canadian carriage charge.

Message 552 of 3,104
latest reply

Your listings read: "Item location: Blaine, Washington, United States"

Message 553 of 3,104
latest reply

How does the global shipping program work?

Message 554 of 3,104
latest reply

You can send an invoice through Paypal. Put the ebay listing number as a reference.

Message 555 of 3,104
latest reply

xen999
Community Member

I have a few questions and things to share... I've recently come across 2 different instances of american sellers dealing through the GSP program and was left rather confused and bitter.

Basically, I wanted to purchase a handful of books sold at prices varying between $3 and $10 and weighting in total no more then 3-4 lbs (and if you look at my recent purchases, you will notice that's something I'm very accustomed to do). Normally I send a message to the seller asking for a combined shipping quote and generally it's a figure between $12-20 which is acceptable (even though I can't help but feel bitter when I look at what it cost to ship books within the US, which is absurdly cheap if you hadn't guessed...). But apparently, if a seller is using the GSP they can't combine items and they can't send you an invoice or affect shipping in any way, shape or form. Yay? So I was told I had to use the 'Add to cart' option for the items I wanted and then eBay would automatically calculate the shipping... 2 problems. eBay.ca does not have a shopping cart, I need to be logged in eBay.com to use that. So what would happened if I were to use the regular Buyout option on eBay.ca? Wouldn't the seller then need to send me an invoice or would I be royaly screwed? Secondly, the way GSP calculates shipping is batsh*t insane. I mentioned earlier normally paying $12-20 for shipping, but with GSP it's more like $30. And it adds taxes which baffles my mind. I know it's the legal thing to do, but why don't they let the customs decide if I should pay something or not? Considering I've made hundreds upon hundreds upon hundreds of transactions over the past 10 years on eBay and other sources and never ever asked for value to be marked down and only had to pay taxes 2 or 3 times, I would MUCH prefer if they did. Oh and if I want my stuff shipped via, I don't know, first class international, well, though luck! You have no option offered to you!

So anyway, I didn't buy the books, big surprise there and I've concluded that the GSP program was a POS and that I should avoid any seller using it like the plague. Did I get this just about right?

Message 556 of 3,104
latest reply

Pretty good if what you are ordering is bulky and/or over $100.

Terrible if the item is under $100 and small.

Basically, the Canadian duty and taxes are charged before the seller ships. This saves you hassle on your doorstep and you know what you are paying.

However, CBSA and Canada Post are lax about charging the applicable duty and tax on low value items, so many people who rarely import items or who usually only buy low value items are shocked that these are applicable on items costing as little as $20 CDN. All the more since the loonie has been dropping.

Message 557 of 3,104
latest reply

GSP has been a big headache for Canadian buyers.

The rules have changed recently making it easier for American sellers to either opt out of the program or opt out for a specific country such as Canada.

"Did I get this just about right?"

What many Canadians buyers do : write the seller and ask if they would sell those items directly, without going through GSP.  You will find that most will answer positively.

Message 558 of 3,104
latest reply

@xen999 wrote:

And it adds taxes which baffles my mind. I know it's the legal thing to do, but why don't they let the customs decide if I should pay something or not? 

Customs only "decides" this with postal imports.  Items sent through the GSP are likely travelling as part of a commercial freight shipment and are handled somewhat differently as a result.

Message 559 of 3,104
latest reply

spanca2014
Community Member

I received my package today but 2 of the packages were damaged inside. How do I put in a claim. These were shipped through the Global shipping.

Message 560 of 3,104
latest reply