Questions about the Global Shipping Program

Do you have questions about the Global Shipping Program? Please post here & I'll do my best to track those answers down for you!

If you have any comments about the program, use this forum instead.

Thanks,

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 5 of 3,104
latest reply
3,103 REPLIES 3,103

Re: Questions about the Global Shipping Program

@sylviebee wrote:

There is absolutely no rhyme or reason to how they arrive at GSP costs.  

I believe AFAntiques once stated that Pitney Bowes takes the item's category and bases the shipping costs on an average size for that category.

This is probably why I've generally found mobile phone shipping rates to be pretty reasonable.  There's not a lot of variation in the shipping weight for packaged mobile phones so PB can come up with a fairly accurate and sensible shipping rate.

Message 2841 of 3,104
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:

@sylviebee wrote:

There is absolutely no rhyme or reason to how they arrive at GSP costs.  

I believe AFAntiques once stated that Pitney Bowes takes the item's category and bases the shipping costs on an average size for that category.

This is probably why I've generally found mobile phone shipping rates to be pretty reasonable.  There's not a lot of variation in the shipping weight for packaged mobile phones so PB can come up with a fairly accurate and sensible shipping rate.

That does not address my comments at all regarding how they arrive at import fees.

Message 2842 of 3,104
latest reply

@sylviebee wrote:

That does not address my comments at all regarding how they arrive at import fees.

The various components of the GSP "import charges" beyond tax and duty are outlined in the GSP terms and conditions for buyers.  Keep in mind that all the GSP usually has to go on is the item price, possibly its weight, and how the seller categorized the item.  Sellers should provide information on an item's country of origin, but they rarely seem to do so.  If a seller puts an item in an inappropriate category and omits essential information, it may see inappropriate charges calculated and applied as a result.

Message 2843 of 3,104
latest reply

You can track all PBI packages here:
https://parceltracking.pb.com/app/#/tracker

Message 2844 of 3,104
latest reply

https://www.dutycalculator.com/

I assume this site has the figures they use to calculate the tax portion of the import charges

In the early days it was easy enough to run the GSP items through this calculation and get accutete enough figures to work out just how much the PB 'service charge' was because all the worked examples had about the same small excess charge above any taxes and duties.

It all seems to have gone a bit weird now. The strange thing is items that should have import taxes appearing in listings as having no import charges. Often these charges would seem to be far too high in theory to be folded into the shipping cost.

Message 2845 of 3,104
latest reply

Hi,

Im trying to track a shipment made by GSP, I think what the seller could provide is the tracking number from his shipment provider to GSP (so it seems to be delivered already). As the item is sent by GSP is it impossible for me to track this item?

Thanks

Christian

Message 2846 of 3,104
latest reply

——————————
Another poster worked this out for buyers who have not yet received their GSP shipment.
TRACKING SYSTEM FOR GSP
It's not user friendly... But I found how to track your package via the global shipping program, once it gets to Canada you need to:
- Log on to eBay.ca
- Under the My eBay menu select Purchase History
- Under your orders find the specific order.  It should have something like the following:
        Estimated delivery Mon, Jan 11 - Thu, Jan 21
        Tracking number: Tracking number UPAAB000000#########
- Click on the UPA number.  This should open up a Shipment Details window, which should contain something like this:
     This shipment has been transferred to CPC for delivery to the final destination # 70351#########
-Click on the Canada Post number to see where the Canada Post Tracking history and expected delivery
 And there is this method too (originally posted by unison)
I found this thread today while awaiting a shipment. Once I learned that Pitney Bowes was the relevant company, I was able to find my package's tracking info in about 10 seconds.

Step 1: Go to the Pitney Bowes Parcel Tracker page at https://parceltracking.pb.com/app/#/dashboard/

Step 2: Enter your eBay-supplied Global Tracking number (mine began with UPAA...)

Step 3: You will be shown limited tracking info. In my case, only up to the point the package left the USA and entered Canada.

Step 4: Click on the "Track on carrier's website" link at the top right.

Step 5: You will be provided with tracking on the page of the actual shipping company, in my case Canada Post, with a tracking number in THEIR system.

Problem solved! If only eBay would put a link to https://parceltracking.pb.com/app/#/dashboard/ in their shipping emails, this could all be avoided...

Message 2847 of 3,104
latest reply

Why do they state INTERNATIONAL PRIORITY SHipping charge you that then sent it FEDEX ECONOMY, that sounds a bit dodgy

Message 2848 of 3,104
latest reply

@steve_gee wrote:

Why do they state INTERNATIONAL PRIORITY SHipping charge you that then sent it FEDEX ECONOMY, that sounds a bit dodgy

Did the item travel by FedEx Economy from the Global Shipping Center in Kentucky to you, or was this the shipping method chosen by the seller to ship the item to Kentucky?  I'm guessing the latter.

Message 2849 of 3,104
latest reply

Went USPS to KY then FEDEX its bounced around for a week now my message to the seller was clear and precise USPS PRIORITY to my address which by the way was not my PAYPAL address it was the PB address in KY see as follows (LONG)

Global tracking #:

UPAAB000000199233993

Carrier:

Multiple Carriers

Global tracking #:

UPAAA000000214397134

Carrier:

Multiple Carriers
This parcel has been transferred to FEDKEB for delivery to the final destination # 785875410765

ACCEPTEDIN TRANSITDELIVERED

In Transit with Destination Carrier

Mar-12-17, 23:54 PM, MEMPHIS, TN 38118

In Transit with Destination Carrier

Mar-11-17, 23:00 PM, ERLANGER, KY 41048

Shipped from the Global Shipping Center to International Destination

Mar-11-17, 18:57 PM, Erlanger, Kentucky 41025-2501

Customs Documentation and Labeling

Mar-11-17, 02:25 AM, Erlanger, Kentucky 41025-2501

Processing at Global Shipping Center

Mar-11-17, 02:08 AM, Erlanger, Kentucky 41025-2501

Arrived at Global Shipping Center

Mar-10-17, 03:23 AM, ERLANGER, KY 41025

In Transit-Arrived at Post Office

Mar-09-17, 21:40 PM, CINCINNATI, OH 45234

In Transit-Departed USPS Destination Facility

Mar-09-17, 21:36 PM, CINCINNATI, OH 45234

In Transit-Arrived at USPS Facility

Mar-09-17, 17:50 PM, CINCINNATI, OH 45234

In Transit-Arrived at USPS Facility

Mar-09-17, 07:53 AM, GREENSBORO, NC 27498

In Transit-Departed USPS Facility

Mar-09-17, 05:45 AM, RALEIGH, NC 27676

In Transit-Arrived at USPS Origin Facility

Mar-08-17, 19:44 PM, RALEIGH, NC 27676

In Transit-Departed Post Office

Mar-08-17, 17:04 PM, HOLLY SPRINGS, NC 27540

In Transit-Acceptance

Mar-08-17, 16:25 PM, HOLLY SPRINGS, NC 27540
Message 2850 of 3,104
latest reply

It's public relations. And means nothing. Adspeak.
Like gluten-free watermelons.
Your seller used the Global Shipping Program, sending your purchase to the GSP centre in Kentucky, where it was put on a truck with hundreds of others and sent to Canada.

Don't worry about the "bouncing around". That's hub and spoke delivery systems in actions.
Airlines use it a lot.
A friend recently went from Victoria BC to Lima Peru by way of Toronto.

Having been selling by mail order for thirty plus years, I allow 20 days for delivery from anywhere in North America.
Usually I am pleasantly surprised.

How long has your item been in transit?

BTW-- This is, I think, the first time I have heard of the GSP delegating shipping to FedEx. Usually they use Canada Post who deliver everywhere cheaply, or CanPar in some urban areas.

Message 2851 of 3,104
latest reply

Okay, it was shipped on Wednesday the 8th by USPS to Kentucky.

Arrived on Friday the 10th, cleared customs, and was forwarded to FedEx on Saturday the 11th..

It got to the FedEx hub in Tennessee on Monday 

And now it's Tuesday the 13th*

You should receive it Wednesday or Thursday.

* Well, here in BC it's still Monday.

Message 2852 of 3,104
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

BTW-- This is, I think, the first time I have heard of the GSP delegating shipping to FedEx. Usually they use Canada Post who deliver everywhere cheaply, or CanPar in some urban areas.

Steve_Gee is in Australia.  Shipping of GSP items works a bit differently for them Ozzies, but you already know that.  🙂

Message 2853 of 3,104
latest reply

jrkoff
Community Member

Hi, I have a question on which courier will be delivering my package once it enters Canada from the USA ( California )?

I have used wrong info for its destination and would need to cancel delivery and pick it up at the couriers depot instead

I've been in touch with the seller, eBay, GSP all said it was to late as it was already gone.

sincerely

Joe

Message 2854 of 3,104
latest reply

@jrkoff wrote:

Hi, I have a question on which courier will be delivering my package once it enters Canada from the USA ( California )?

I have used wrong info for its destination and would need to cancel delivery and pick it up at the couriers depot instead

I've been in touch with the seller, eBay, GSP all said it was to late as it was already gone.

Hey, Joe.

From what I've been able to figure out, the choice of carrier within Canada is up to the logistics company that processes the item.  Where you're located seems to have as much of a bearing on the carrier as the nature of the item and its size.

My guess is that if the item is fairly small or you live in a rural or rural-ish area that's not well served by commercial carriers, your item will be shipped by Canada Post.  If your item is larger or your live in a large urban centre, it could be shipped by Canpar or Purolator, possibly even DHL, I can't remember for sure if it's been mentioned on this discussion board before.

I think the reps you spoke to were probably right about you being too late to intervene in this.  How did you get in touch with the GSP, by the way?

Message 2855 of 3,104
latest reply

I received an email at 3:29 pm today that said they tried to deliver my package and left a note (which they absolutely did not, Ive been here ALL day long with 3 dogs who would bark if they heard the slightest noise let alone a delivery truck and knock at my door. It also said the time they made the attempt was 4 pm... ??? Thats another 10 minutes from now..what the heck..

Message 2856 of 3,104
latest reply

@horse-n-gal wrote:

I received an email at 3:29 pm today that said they tried to deliver my package and left a note (which they absolutely did not, Ive been here ALL day long with 3 dogs who would bark if they heard the slightest noise let alone a delivery truck and knock at my door. It also said the time they made the attempt was 4 pm... ??? Thats another 10 minutes from now..what the heck..

Are the times in your time zone or a different time zone?

And is there any indication who "they" are?  Canada Post?  Purolator?  Canpar?

Message 2857 of 3,104
latest reply

Message 2858 of 3,104
latest reply

no it didn't say in the email, only said global shipping

@marnotom! wrote:

@horse-n-gal wrote:

Are the times in your time zone or a different time zone?

And is there any indication who "they" are?  Canada Post?  Purolator?  Canpar?

Message 2859 of 3,104
latest reply

@horse-n-gal wrote:

no it didn't say in the email, only said global shipping

Okay, still not sure if the times that were stated in your email were local times or in some other time zone, but anyhoo. . .

Have you looked up your order here to see if the tracking information also states that delivery was attempted on your item?

https://parceltracking.pb.com/

Message 2860 of 3,104
latest reply