BEWARE. Tangerine no longer accepted.

So I transferred my banking over from RBC to Tangerine thinking I made sure nothing was linked but forgot about eBay. Tried to simply connect my Tangerine account and was met with "bank not supported. please add another account". I dont have another account. I've spent tons of time on here browsing solutions and see as early as a few weeks ago canadians mentioning tangerine is fine. And before anyone asks:
-Yes its a chequing account
-Yes my names and addresses match exactly
-Yes its a CAD account and I'm trying to be paid in CAD

After speaking with 5 eBay payment reps 2 of them have confirmed that Tangerine is no longer a supported bank and is on a list of "unsupported routing and transit numbers". The only option I've been provided is to open a new bank account. When I asked what happens to my money if I don't I'm told "well it would sit there until you do because we can't issue it anywhere". As if I don't have a properly linked paypal or Mastercard. The other three told me that "there should be no issue". This company is the devil and I can't wait to get its greedy little claws out of me. 

Message 1 of 155
latest reply
154 REPLIES 154

Re: BEWARE. Tangerine no longer accepted.

devon@ebay 

In post 29 @toontown92 mentions that they keep getting directed to .com when trying to set up their managed payments account.  Obviously their bank info is not being accepted there because they are in Canada and have a Canadian bank account.  It looks like they originally registered on ebay before .ca was around so it seems the system is not recognizing that they need to register on .ca. 

When MP first started rolling out in Canada, Tyler stated that sellers originally registered on .com with a Canadian address did not need to change to .ca and I thought (though I could be wrong) that is how it worked once they got the kinks out. But it seems that it isn't working properly now and these people who are trying to set up MP are not getting the help they need.

There is another post from a Canadian seller who originally registered on .com who seems to be having a similar situation.  https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Payments/Canadian-user-USA-account-cannot-add-bank-account/m-p/480800#M...

Could you please have someone look into this or have someone contact these users and help them please? It's been over a year since MP was introduced in Canada and its crazy that some users are still having problems setting it up.

Message 41 of 155
latest reply

When I tried to like a PC Banking account to it and was denied I was told a valid Canadian bank was only brick and mortar banks. Which makes perfect sense in today's world... NOT

Message 42 of 155
latest reply

@emilyandpamela wrote:

When I tried to like a PC Banking account to it and was denied I was told a valid Canadian bank was only brick and mortar banks. Which makes perfect sense in today's world... NOT

Who told you this and how long ago, @emilyandpamela?

Message 43 of 155
latest reply

Probably about a year ago. I wanted to keep my finances seperate so I signed up for PC then was told it was basically brick and mortar that could be accepted. Ususally this is defined with all the transfer/institution numbers etc. as they don't have all the ones ebay requires.

Message 44 of 155
latest reply

I signed up with Tangerine last year which is not a brick and mortar bank.

Message 45 of 155
latest reply

Whoever you spoke to is mostly correct. As far as I can figure out, PC Financial is technically not a bank. (It has “money accounts,” not “bank accounts.”) It may have been when it was under CIBC’s umbrella, but I don’t think it’s considered a bank in the true sense now.

However, while there are many online-only financial institutions that aren’t technically banks, my understanding is that Tangerine and Simplii are considered such.
Message 46 of 155
latest reply

While Simplii is an online bank, it is also a division of the CIBC.  While I did have a problem with eBay suddenly not accepting Simplii on one account I has used  for MP, it has been fine on the other using the same Simplii account.

Who knows what will happen to the funds they're holding 🤷‍♂️

When the problem was solved, not to my satisfaction, but workable, all the Held funds were promptly transferred to the new bank.

Message 47 of 155
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

While Simplii is an online bank, it is also a division of the CIBC.  While I did have a problem with eBay suddenly not accepting Simplii on one account I has used  for MP, it has been fine on the other using the same Simplii account.

Who knows what will happen to the funds they're holding 🤷‍♂️

When the problem was solved, not to my satisfaction, but workable, all the Held funds were promptly transferred to the new bank.

@reallynicestamps 

How long did the problem take to resolve and was the problem easy to pin point or is it a case where every situation is different. Just thinking by now for something this critical the bugs would have been worked out....by now.

-Lotz

Message 48 of 155
latest reply

jdu617
Community Member

I’m struggling with Ebay/Tangerine too.

I was told Tangerine isn't supported and I may have success adding the account briefly but the link will likely fail after a few transactions.

Rep said Ebay is having same issue with Bank of America south of the boarder....."Bank not supported, try again"  😤

Very frustrating.  Suppose I'll open another free account with the local credit union and "try-again".     

Thanks to all the posters on this thread. 

Message 49 of 155
latest reply

@jdu617 wrote:

I’m struggling with Ebay/Tangerine too.

I was told Tangerine isn't supported and I may have success adding the account briefly but the link will likely fail after a few transactions.

Rep said Ebay is having same issue with Bank of America south of the boarder....."Bank not supported, try again"  😤

Very frustrating.  Suppose I'll open another free account with the local credit union and "try-again".     

Thanks to all the posters on this thread. 

Maybe if this keeps happening they'll have no choice but to go back to PayPal!!  🤣

-Lotz

Message 50 of 155
latest reply

PayPal! Wouldn't that be nice! At least it would work!!

Still no change with my errors. Still not working. No word from eBay, nothing. Radio silence.

🤬

Message 51 of 155
latest reply

devon@ebay 
Re post 41

Do you have any comments or suggestions for sellers like @toontown92 and @briona-ranfagni who cannot register for MP.  Both were originally registerd on eBay.com before ,ca was around.  Is this a know problem that someone is working on?

There is a post on the .com boards too that seems to be similar.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Payments/Canadian-Banks-will-not-accept-Direct-deposit-from-eBay/m-p/3...

Message 52 of 155
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

devon@ebay 
Re post 41

Do you have any comments or suggestions for sellers like @toontown92 and @briona-ranfagni who cannot register for MP.  Both were originally registerd on eBay.com before ,ca was around.  Is this a know problem that someone is working on?

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Payments/Canadian-Banks-will-not-accept-Direct-deposit-from-eBay/m-p/3...

Hi @pjcdn2005! It looks like both accounts are registered out of the US instead of Canada. In the case they are wanting to sign up for MP they would have two options. One of the options is they would need to find a bank that would be willing to convert USD to CA dollars and we would accept that bank for MP. The other option would be that members would have to create a new account registered on ebay.ca and sign up for MP that route.

Message 53 of 155
latest reply

devon@ebay wrote:

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

devon@ebay 
Re post 41

Hi @pjcdn2005! It looks like both accounts are registered out of the US instead of Canada. In the case they are wanting to sign up for MP they would have two options. One of the options is they would need to find a bank that would be willing to convert USD to CA dollars and we would accept that bank for MP. The other option would be that members would have to create a new account registered on ebay.ca and sign up for MP that route.

Hello devon@ebay 

If a seller had no choice but to open a  new account they would suddenly lose their past sales history/feedback and be considered a new seller forcing them back into a waiting period for getting paid. Not really a perfect solution caused by something that was not their fault.

-Lotz

Message 54 of 155
latest reply

So you're saying to just delete my entire 22 year 100% positive feedback if I can't find a bank that will work..? And you suggest I just keep trying various banks?

If I try to open a new account with my email address on eBay.ca I can't because it tells me that email is in use so I would also have to create a new email address as well?

Also what happens to the funds that I can't get from my current eBay account? 

Message 55 of 155
latest reply

devon@ebay 

@toontown92 wrote:

So you're saying to just delete my entire 22 year 100% positive feedback if I can't find a bank that will work..? And you suggest I just keep trying various banks?

If I try to open a new account with my email address on eBay.ca I can't because it tells me that email is in use so I would also have to create a new email address as well?

Also what happens to the funds that I can't get from my current eBay account? 

Message 56 of 155
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

If a seller had no choice but to open a  new account they would suddenly lose their past sales history/feedback and be considered a new seller forcing them back into a waiting period for getting paid. Not really a perfect solution caused by something that was not their fault.

These posts that we're seeing now are from casual, infrequent, or resurrected sellers on the site.  If these sellers sold more items more often, they'd have run into this problem a lot sooner.  While it can be frustrating to lose sales history and feedback dating over twenty years, wouldn't these sellers would still be forced into a payment waiting period even if they kept their established eBay account?

Message 57 of 155
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

These posts that we're seeing now are from casual, infrequent, or resurrected sellers on the site.  If these sellers sold more items more often, they'd have run into this problem a lot sooner.  While it can be frustrating to lose sales history and feedback dating over twenty years, wouldn't these sellers would still be forced into a payment waiting period even if they kept their established eBay account?

Backup plan. Ebay figure out some easy way to move accounts without penalties. That's why they have IT department.  And like other seller said, how about funds that are limbo.

When MP was first a whisper that was a big concern/question. Being able to get US funds transferred without fees. They just never came out with a proper actual solution. From the get go. Transferring account details should not be rocket science.

-Lotz

Message 58 of 155
latest reply

devon@ebay wrote:

It looks like both accounts are registered out of the US instead of Canada. In the case they are wanting to sign up for MP they would have two options. One of the options is they would need to find a bank that would be willing to convert USD to CA dollars and we would accept that bank for MP. The other option would be that members would have to create a new account registered on ebay.ca and sign up for MP that route.

devon@ebay, I think most eBay users selling on .com would want to have their USD payouts remain in USD and deposited into a USD account on Canadian soil, an option that was instated some time ago. Some would probably like to continue using their US-based USD bank accounts as they did with PayPal, but I understand that's not an option.

Message 59 of 155
latest reply

devon@ebay wrote:

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

devon@ebay 
Re post 41

------------

devon@ebay 

These sellers and many others had to register on .com with a Canadian address because there was no .ca at the time.  As I said in post 41, Tyler your predecessor said more than once that those sellers would be able to sign up on .ca for MP without changing sites or ID's. I'm sure that is how it was working last year but you're saying that it's changed now?   If so, I really think that someone should figure out what's changed and find a solution. 

Those sellers cannot sign up on .com because they don't have social security or tax info for the US and it's unreasonable to expect them to start from square one with a new ID on .ca after being with eBay for 20+ years.  I realize that there have been cases of sellers that were using US addresses and were registered on .com so could not register for MP but sellers with registered Canadian addresses should not be running into the same problem.

@toontown92   Your registered eBay address is in Canada correct?

Message 60 of 155
latest reply