BEWARE. Tangerine no longer accepted.

So I transferred my banking over from RBC to Tangerine thinking I made sure nothing was linked but forgot about eBay. Tried to simply connect my Tangerine account and was met with "bank not supported. please add another account". I dont have another account. I've spent tons of time on here browsing solutions and see as early as a few weeks ago canadians mentioning tangerine is fine. And before anyone asks:
-Yes its a chequing account
-Yes my names and addresses match exactly
-Yes its a CAD account and I'm trying to be paid in CAD

After speaking with 5 eBay payment reps 2 of them have confirmed that Tangerine is no longer a supported bank and is on a list of "unsupported routing and transit numbers". The only option I've been provided is to open a new bank account. When I asked what happens to my money if I don't I'm told "well it would sit there until you do because we can't issue it anywhere". As if I don't have a properly linked paypal or Mastercard. The other three told me that "there should be no issue". This company is the devil and I can't wait to get its greedy little claws out of me. 

Message 1 of 155
latest reply
154 REPLIES 154

Same error. I cannot add Tangerine bank to my ebay account...anyone found a way to add it?

Message 141 of 155
latest reply

The easy way out is to stop trying and open an account with a bank that is easily accepted.

This may help after that.
Voo doo doll.jpg

Because it is extremely annoying that eBay has not cleared this up after so many complaints over months.

Either get Tangerine into compliance or stop mentioning them at all.

Message 142 of 155
latest reply

I am having the same issue, can you guide me how you have helped this person
Message 143 of 155
latest reply

How has this not been solved yet? Tangerine shows up in the list of banks but it fails to add my account. I have a few days to add my banking before my account gets restricted and I honestly don't know what to do.

Message 144 of 155
latest reply

One educated guess is that Tangerine was involved in that $10K etransfer loss a while back.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/wire-transfer-disappears-banks-1.6401776

Except that the story says the bank was CIBC and their online arm is Simplii.

Message 145 of 155
latest reply

Has anyone tried to add Tangerine using the existing banks method, rather than manually entering your data under (My bank's not listed).

I was unable to add my account via the My Bank's not Listed option. Same thing happens when I try it under one of the listed banks. No surprise there. The interesting thing is..when I try it, it shows a final confirmation screen before I click OK with the "account number". The only problem is that the account number is wrong. Definitely not my account number. I wonder if that relates to the problem.

Message 146 of 155
latest reply

My last post was incorrect. eBay's website does show the correct account number. I just can't register the Tang account.

Message 147 of 155
latest reply

As you can see from the length of this thread, this is an ongoing problem.

Thank you for reporting that it is still not solved

The general opinion is that it is Tangerine not eBay giving difficulty.

And as I posted in comment #9 (of147!) the simplest workaround is not to use Tangerine for Managed Payments.

Choose a different bank.

And get one of these.
VOODOO DOLLY.jpg

Message 148 of 155
latest reply

tesserac
Community Member

A little bit of background before I post how I was able to resolve this issue: I'm probably one of the oldest eBay users, since i've been using this site since 2000. Obviously, back then there was only the American site, but I was able to get set up with them and PayPal without any problems, even though I was in Canada. I was eventually able to "transfer" my account to the Canadian version of eBay in 2014.

I'm mostly a buyer, but back in May, I decided to replace my Macbook Air, so I put it on sale on eBay. This was the first time I had sold something on eBay since they parted ways with PayPal, so I quickly found out the only way to get paid now was by linking my chequing account. That's when I encountered the same issue many of you faced: Tangerine Bank was not recognized by eBay.

I then called their customer service to see how I could resolve this problem. Long story short: The eBay agent told me I had 2 options:
1) Open a chequing account with a major Canadian bank, since they would be more likely to be recognized by eBay.
2) Leave the eBay account as is, without any links to a bank, and wait for the payout for my sale to be processed. After 30-45 days, eBay would then mail me a cheque for the payout amount if I requested it.

Since I didn't want the hassle of opening a bank account just to get paid for of my very rare eBay sale, I said I was fine with the mailed cheque option.

I sold my laptop in early June, and on July 9, I got an email saying my payout was now available. However, I couldn't find any way to indicate I wanted the funds to be mailed to me. I therefore called eBay customer service one more time, and the agent recommended I wait a few days more, and specified the "mail" option would appear in the reminder email eBay would send me.

I received that email on July 13, but the "mail" option was still nowehere to be seen. I then called eBay customer service once again. That agent told me the previous two agents were incorrect: eBay *used* to mail payouts, but no longer did so. I was getting discouraged that I would ever see that money, but the agent said she might be able to find a solution -- she just needed a few hours to talk to her supervisor and their banking partners.

She called me back 3 hours later with some good news: they were able to make an exception in my case because I was a long-standing eBay user. She explained they would do a few microdeposits to verify the chequing account was in good standing, with the final payout following suit within 2-3 business days.

So that's where I am right now: the microdeposists have gone through without a hitch, and I'm waiting to finally receive my payout. I'll report back in this thred if that doesn't go through.

Message 149 of 155
latest reply

I then called eBay customer service once again. That agent told me the previous two agents were incorrect: eBay *used* to mail payouts, but no longer did so.

Ah.

Called.

Phone clerks.

The phone reps have a terrible reputation for getting you off the phone as soon as possible even if that means giving you the advice you want to hear instead of the advice you need to have.

https://www.facebook.com/eBayForBusiness/ — Message button in upper right on landing page.
https://twitter.com/askebay?lang=en

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/How-do-I-contact-Customer-Support/m-p/32016431#M1783851 -> Automated Assistant, type AGENT -> enter. You will then get more options.

The social media Chat accounts are covered by trained eBay employees with some authority.
And you get a transcript so you can compare what you heard with what you were told.

The transcript is also why the (again better trained) social media clerks are more careful about what they tell you.

You have something in writing you can point to.

Message 150 of 155
latest reply

Same problem here (Tangerine cannot be added). Does anyone know which Canadian banks eBay 100% accepts? I have heard problems with CIBC too...

Message 151 of 155
latest reply

@mariaarifin wrote:

Same problem here (Tangerine cannot be added). Does anyone know which Canadian banks eBay 100% accepts? I have heard problems with CIBC too...

I have a business account with Royal Bank and haven't had any issues.

Message 152 of 155
latest reply

I've had some problems with Simplii on one account, but none with the same bank on another account.

The "big six" don't seem to have any problems.

Royal, TD, CIBC, Montreal, Laurentian seem to be fine. Also Desjardins.

Message 153 of 155
latest reply

Anyone knows if it's a fixed issue? Recently started looking to open a new bank account specifically for buy/selling activities and had tangerine on top of my list. Then randomly found out all those scary threads. Would be great to have an update on this weird situation. 

Message 154 of 155
latest reply

I somehow got  an EQ Bank account registered, which eBay repeatedly told me wasn't possible. Go figure.

Message 155 of 155
latest reply