2021 Canada Post unofficial rates chart (under 2kg)

Here you go folks. Attached is an image version of the 2021 postage chart I made. Please feel free to use / print it out if you find this useful. Chart actually created on Jan 16 2021... I made a typo on the date haha laughing

2021 Canada Post OTC.png

$1.07 is stamp rate if you're only purchasing one stamp over the counter.

These are all OVER THE COUNTER rates, so if you have Solution for Small Business account (or if you print via Shippo or Paypal) you will get cheaper rates for the parcels. Definitely use Shippo/Paypal/Snap Ship for Tracked Packet since the saving is quite significant (at least 10% cheaper). 

Fuel surcharge fluctuations apply to BOTH Small Packet and Tracked Packet starting Jan 11 2021. 

For Small Packet & Tracked Packet international rate, I used United Kingdom as reference. For the <500g weight bracket, depending on your international destination, it might be cheaper to use small packet air instead of letter-mail... depending on how much fuel surcharge is. 

I did not include rates for expedited parcel, xpresspost, priority etc in the chart because the price varies greatly depending on both sender and receiver location.

Message 1 of 30
latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

Because I love ranting... grimacing

Problem #1: My older laptop crashed so I didn't have the old .doc file. I had to type this from scratch...

Problem #2: I don't have MS Word in my home laptop as I don't want to pay for a software I rarely use, so I typed this over the past couple days during my break at work, which still took about an hour. This also means I did NOT have time to proofread this. Hopefully there are no errors see_no_evil

I will not be making a SfSB level 1 version... it's usually roughly 5% cheaper than OTC rate (bigger discount with TP) so do your own estimate wink

I also did not bother with doing an Australia estimate as I stopped shipping to Australia, so international rate on the chart is based on UK rate as I still ship to Europe. 

COVID had me stuck at home all the time aside from going to work, so I guess I'll be on eBay for quite a while still, and the 200 free monthly listing for both .ca & .com definitely helped :penguin:

Link to 2020 post: https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/2020-Canada-Post-unofficial-rates-chart-under-2kg/m-p/43...

Message 2 of 30
latest reply

Thank you SO much, I love your charts, use them constantly. Would you please tell me how to print it!! I have tried, but I can't find a way to do it.

Message 3 of 30
latest reply

Thank you Zee.  This chart is such a good guide. 

I was thinking of sending you an email about it the last few days but didn't want to bother you, then it appears this morning.  Very kind of you.

Thanks,  Judith

Message 4 of 30
latest reply

@zee-chan 

Problem #2: I don't have MS Word in my home laptop as I don't want to pay for a software I rarely use

https://www.openoffice.org/

Pretty much all the functionality of MS Office but 100% free. (word processing, spreadsheet etc.), You can import/export to/from MS format files.

https://www.openoffice.org/why/index.html

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 5 of 30
latest reply

You are my Hero, Zee! 

Thanks for doing it for us!  

Message 6 of 30
latest reply

Would someone tell me how to print it please? I downloaded and tried and got 15 copies with a tiny chart and lots of writing underneath. I thought I could paste and copy, but that won't work.

Message 7 of 30
latest reply

@triber wrote:

Would someone tell me how to print it please? I downloaded and tried and got 15 copies with a tiny chart and lots of writing underneath. I thought I could paste and copy, but that won't work.

Hi, I just did a copy and paste to a word document and then printed it. It filled the page and printed out okay.

Message 8 of 30
latest reply

@triber wrote:

If you open in google chrome the tab on the right had side with
3 dots. If you left click there there is print tab 3/4 of the way down. In firefox it's 3 lines one
above the other.
-Lotz

Message 9 of 30
latest reply

Yes, I do have Open Office installed and I do use it for regular word processing at home.

I prefer MS word for making tables and such... And my work computer screen is much bigger than my laptop lol so it's easier to have both the Canada post window and word open side by side. This chart'd take me longer to make at home.
Message 10 of 30
latest reply

Thank you Lotz, I appreciate it, managed to get the copy.

Message 11 of 30
latest reply

Thanks for posting this.
Message 12 of 30
latest reply

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Thanks for taking the time to put this together @zee-chan - I know it's a lot of work, but I also know everyone really appreciates it!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 13 of 30
latest reply

Oops. Noticed two errors.

There is no tax for USA letter post for < 200g and < 500 g as they are both over $5. No tax for USA and International postage when they are over $5. Funny how I didn't type +tax for international yet I did for US...

Too bad there is no edit option for eBay posts haha. Sorry about that. 

@triber @lucitabby @block36 @msmaggie060 @flyhooks4less

(Not sure who else printed this, please just cross out the +tax for USA <200g & <500g on the table please) 

Message 14 of 30
latest reply

Fabulous help!!! Thank you!
Message 15 of 30
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

That's awesome a lot better then my scribbled page. Thanks

Message 16 of 30
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

No list of rates for Expedited, XpressPost for Canada and Tracket Packet, Expedited and XpressPost for USA?

Message 17 of 30
latest reply

Those rates are different for each of us based on our postal code, so they can't be shown here.

If you want copies they can be printed from here:

The rate tables (the business rates for solutions for small business 1st level):

https://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/prices/SBPrices-e.pdf 

The rate code table based on your postal code you need to be able to use the tables above:

https://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/prices/FSA_RateCodeLookup-e.asp 

Message 18 of 30
latest reply

I'm planning to sell a bunch of cheap video games (effectively DVDs), sending as oversized letter mail, either ≤ 100G or ≤ 200G depending on the title (I have a digital scale to check). So the price is either $1.94 + tax or $3.19 + tax. 

My question is this: what combination of stamp do I need to send these "letters" via quick drop off at my drop off box up the street? I see $1.94 oversized stamps for sale so presumably all good there, but nothing that adds up to $3.19. Would an oversized $1.94 stamp + a regular $0.92 stamp only adds up to $2.86. If I add on two more $0.92 stamps the total value comes out to $3.78, so I'd be overpaying by $0.59.

Do I have this right? As much as it sucks to overpay by $0.59 each time I'd be saving at least 15 minutes by skipping a trip to the post office so not the end of the world. Just want to make sure I figure out a system for myself that is quick and easy.

Message 19 of 30
latest reply

The post office sells lower value stamps so you can make the exact rate. You need to get $0.33 combination of stamps. I don’t know what the post office currently sells for lower vale stamps.

If you want to save a lot on postage, Canadian eBay stamp sellers sell older mint postage stamps below face value. Typically 50 to 80% of face value and some do not charge sales taxes. So you can save a lot on postage. You may have to put 10 to 20 stamps on your package but stamps can be put on front and back of package.

Do an eBay search on discount postage in the Stamps Canada eBay category. Only get mint unused stamps not used no gum.

Someone will explain this in more detail if you need more info.
Message 20 of 30
latest reply